Class 1A Mr. Football Official Ballot

CoachT

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM, Old Pirate says don't do overkill about stats. What kind of stats would each have if their teams were swapped? It takes much more when surrounding talent is not wearing your colors. SP would have won the game against Grace if DJ had not played at all. Grace would have Never been in it at all w/o the Blake kid.Don't get me wrong OP says DJ is a great kid/player but each players stats are a direct reflection of surrounding talent. Neither have a SUPERMAN cape under their pads.

Stats I understand are not the deciding factor in all cases. Look at Terrell Owens, I believe his last season at UTC he only had like a little over 800 yards receiving, not even 1000 yards. Now look at him. It was merely a comparison type question OP.

Regardless if Blake did everything to keep his team in the game, especially since you said you didn't make it to the game.... David Jones during the first half did not sit on the sideline and mope around. If you were there, you would see that he could not sit still. He was constantly cheering and encouraging his teammates on and off the field. Even the freshman sitting there with their mouth pieces in theirs hands on waist and feet crossed, he was in their face pumping them up. That, along with stats should be contributing factors for Mr. Football. If stats were everything, then what kind of message would we be sending to the future leaders of America???!!! Anyways, David has my pick all the way. He deserves it.

Stats I understand are not the deciding factor in all cases.?  Look at Terrell Owens, I believe his last season at UTC he only had like a little over 800 yards receiving, not even 1000 yards.?  Now look at him.?  It was merely a comparison type question OP.?  Regardless if Blake did everything to keep his team in the game, especially since you said you didn't make it to the game.... David Jones during the first half did not sit on the sideline and mope around.?  If you were there, you would see that he could not sit still.?  He was constantly cheering and encouraging his teammates on and off the field.?  Even the freshman sitting there with their mouth pieces in theirs hands on waist and feet crossed, he was in their face pumping them up.?  That, along with stats should be contributing factors for Mr. Football.?  If stats were everything, then what kind of message would we be sending to the future leaders of America???!!!?  Anyways, David has my pick all the way.?  He deserves it.

Old Pirate agrees DJ is probably the leader of the pack. Some appear to MISS the point OP was attempting to make. David has stats that would be more if he had played full games, but padding stats against muffin teams mean nothing. Most would agree Grace has far less talent on defense than SP. That said the Blake kid sure made quite possably the best 1A defensive tean scramble all night just to contain him. Hopefully SP will finally get a player to take home the Mr. Football award. NOTE: Never did OP say the Blake kid was more deserving than David for the award, but responded to an earlier post regarding fridays game.

OP also agrees that a player's ability to show leadership should be considered, but showing the lack of self discipline in games or off the field should also have some bearing. Take TO, he'd never get a vote from this OP for nothing more than a motor mouth trouble maker regardless of what his stats were.

BossBro, Old Pirate never made padding stats an issue ever............just simply stated the Blake kid faced a much tougher team Friday night that was attempting to rip his head off than what the backs for SP faced. David is not the 1st back to be pulled early in games because SP was whipping a team.

Old Pirate agrees DJ is probably the leader of the pack. Some appear to MISS the point OP was attempting to make. David has stats that would be more if he had played full games, but padding stats against muffin teams mean nothing. Most would agree Grace has far less talent on defense than SP. That said the Blake kid sure made quite possably the best 1A defensive tean scramble all night just to contain him. Hopefully SP will finally get a player to take home the Mr. Football award. NOTE: Never did OP say the Blake kid was more deserving than David for the award, but responded to an earlier post regarding fridays game.

OP also agrees that a player's ability to show leadership should be considered, but showing the lack of self discipline in games or off the field should also have some bearing. Take TO, he'd never get a vote from this OP for nothing more than a motor mouth trouble maker regardless of what his stats were.

BossBro, Old Pirate never made padding stats an issue ever............just simply stated the Blake kid faced a much tougher team Friday night that was attempting to rip his head off than what the backs for SP faced. David is not the 1st back to be pulled early in games because SP was whipping a team.

Halloween is over OP you might not be able to take off your mask.But I have no idea what you are talking about.I suppose all the these D-1 recruiter's are wrong about David and you're right.And David stood up for his family, right or wrong.Too bad you are letting this linger and make you bitter in being honest about his impact.Very disapointing coming from a old man who has lived as long as you say you have.Or maybe you're just standing up for yourself and your on twisted opinion.David still leads as he always has.Too bad you won't let it go.You should reveal who you are and stop hiding behind that mask.Little Johnny's just not a true Pirate fan.

Halloween is over OP you might not be able to take off your mask.But I have no idea what you are talking about.I suppose all the these D-1 recruiter's are wrong about David and you're right.And David stood up for his family, right or wrong.Too bad you are letting this linger and make you bitter in being honest about his impact.Very disapointing coming from a old man who has lived as long as you say you have.Or maybe you're just standing up for yourself and your on twisted opinion.David still leads as he always has.Too bad you won't let it go.You should reveal who you are and stop hiding behind that mask.Little Johnny's just not a true Pirate fan.

While I think the fact that he is being looked at by D1 schools may be taken into consideration, statistics are going to be your biggest factor in winning. I've said it before, the fact that y'all are so good and strong in so many areas and have teams beat in the first and second quarter kind of hurt your chances of getting the award. I don't think OP is bashing DJ, at least I hope he isn't. He is a great back and hits those holes extremely fast. But when you campare actual stats, Josh is ahead...not to mention he is also a quarter back and has more stats to add. One of your fans said it best...who cares about Mr. Football. While it is a great award and winners deserve that recognition, its that gold ball in December that means the most...and y'all earned it last year and have a great shot at it again this year. DJ definitely deserves to be on the ballot, but my vote is still for Josh. Best of luck to DJ in what ever school he decides to attend, he will be a good back to watch and I look forward to seeing him on the TV

Old Pirate missed the SP & grace game but the replay it is easy to see both had big games. After talking to several fellers who witnessed the game, OP says this will make some mad, but player of the game goes to Josh Blake. The key to OP is this kid made plays while his team mates were outmatched. David came in and ignited the offense for sure. That said, most feel Grace is rather weak on defense and David having a huge second half doesn't surprise anybody. Fact is SP had to put in their speed guys on the DL in an effort to contain Blake. Another key to Blake being deserving is he went up against arguably the best defensive team in 1A and still had amazing results mostly on his own. SP's starting big 3 lineman did not stand a chance in capturing the fleet footed Blake.

Old Pirate will always give credit where it has been earned and looks as if OP missed a dandy performance.

OLD PIRATE SAYS CONGRATS TO JOSH BLAKE /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Old Pirate says folks had better watch out for Mr. Blake. Perhaps OP will get another chance to see this player in action.

I could not agree with you more OP.That was a very good assessment of the game.I wasnt at the game either but I also saw a DVD replay.

Does anyone have the stats between David Jones vs Josh Blake from the game last night?? I don't know Blake's, but I do know David had like 198 yards and 3 TD's, and he only played the 3rd and 4th quarter. Any input??

Josh had a 70 yds rushing and 119 yds passing for a total of 189 yds in the game Friday night and 1 int. He had about 50yds in sacks that took away from his over all rushing total. Josh's totals for the year I believe he has 961 yds rushing on 97 carries 14td's and 1560yds passing with 27td's for a total of 2521 yds and 41 td's. Every time Josh gets sacked that counts as a carrie for him. I think you should take in cosideration when comparing the stats in this game that Josh and the Grace team were going up against what most people would consider the #1 defense in the state and rightfully so.

As I said before both players are very deserving players.

What are David's total's for the year now.

Old Pirate missed the SP & grace game but the replay it is easy to see both had big games. After talking to several fellers who witnessed the game, OP says this will make some mad, but player of the game goes to Josh Blake. The key to OP is this kid made plays while his team mates were outmatched. David came in and ignited the offense for sure. That said, most feel Grace is rather weak on defense and David having a huge second half doesn't surprise anybody. Fact is SP had to put in their speed guys on the DL in an effort to contain Blake. Another key to Blake being deserving is he went up against arguably the best defensive team in 1A and still had amazing results mostly on his own. SP's starting big 3 lineman did not stand a chance in capturing the fleet footed Blake.

Old Pirate will always give credit where it has been earned and looks as if OP missed a dandy performance.

OLD PIRATE SAYS CONGRATS TO JOSH BLAKE /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Old Pirate says folks had better watch out for Mr. Blake. Perhaps OP will get another chance to see this player in action.

Thanks OP for your words of recognition and praise of Josh's play. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Josh had a 70 yds rushing and 119 yds passing for a total of 189 yds in the game Friday night and 1 int. He had about 50yds in sacks that took away from his over all rushing total. Josh's totals for the year I believe he has 961 yds rushing on 97 carries 14td's and 1560yds passing with 27td's for a total of 2521 yds and 41 td's. Every time Josh gets sacked that counts as a carrie for him. I think you should take in cosideration when comparing the stats in this game that Josh and the Grace team were going up against what most people would consider the #1 defense in the state and rightfully so.

As I said before both players are very deserving players.

What are David's total's for the year now.

I don't have his stats at hand.The point is being missed the only games he has played a whole game was against Boyd,Tyner,Marion County.Had he played half the snaps of most others considered he would have monster#s.He has given up this for his team,that is the point.Primed for another state championship.On his way to play major college football with or without all the stats.Rated in the top 15 prospects in the state etc.I didn't enter this thread to talk about Mr.Football.Nor bash the Blake kid.I entered to tell where he is and where he is going.He has given up stats the past 2 yrs the get SP back where they want to be.The Boro in December.Then off to play in the SEC.Couldn't rattle my cage.David deserves what he has worked for,and been blessed with.

David Jones is one of the top backs if not "The Top" back in 1A. I don't care what his stats say. The facts are that he is on a very good team that has blown out alot of other teams. He is probably close to 1000 yards on the season and I bet he averages 10+ yards per carry. He WILL be playing D1 football next season. He has the total package of speed, vision, power, strength, quickness and from what I hear, most importantly a 4.0 GPA.