Shelbyville - Columbia

robotman

Good for Cookeville. To clarify, revise and extend my remarks. I agree completely with the importance of club ball to a successful HS program. My point was that it seemed that folks were taking shots at Shelbyville and Tullahoma when they have had good club programs. As Cookeville can testify, there are cycles where numbers involved go up and then go down. It sounds like Cookeville is coming out of a down cycle. I thiink Columbia may be coming out of a down cycle as well. Good luck to all.

Keeper Fan I don't think people were taking shots at Tullahoma or Shelbyville (at least I know I wasn't). We played Shelbyville last year at the Baylor Tournament and I thought they were a very good team. A team that played very well in that tournament (I could be mistaken but I think you tied Baylor that weekend or was that ECS..anyhow I digress), but from what I saw last year and from what I have read about them this year, maybe they can pull off an upset in the region.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for Cookeville. To clarify, revise and extend my remarks. I agree completely with the importance of club ball to a successful HS program. My point was that it seemed that folks were taking shots at Shelbyville and Tullahoma when they have had good club programs. As Cookeville can testify, there are cycles where numbers involved go up and then go down. It sounds like Cookeville is coming out of a down cycle. I thiink Columbia may be coming out of a down cycle as well. Good luck to all.

Nice post Keeperfan. Well said

I think club ball at almost any level certainly helps with conditioning and general skills, but I have to disagree with some comments that I have seen that club at any level is good enough. Club at Division 1 level versus club at division 3 level is night and day. D3 club is certainly better than no club, but the higher the level, the tougher the competition you face, and the better you are prepared to play at the highest level come high school season.

Coaching is another factor that can't be overlooked. It's easy to coach if you have a team of super talented players, but a good coach can improve all skill levels. A good coach can take a bunch of good athletes (but not necessarily soccer players) and combine them with a few true soccer players and form a solid high school team. I suspect that there are coaches out there that are better on development skills than others.

unofficial awards just what i think

mvp kayla warren shelbyville

midfield mvp calie hayes shelbyville

defensive mvp taylor bearden shelbyville

freshman mvp lauren warren

[/quote

8AAA Offical Awards

Freshman of The Year

Lauren Warren Shelbyville

Defensive Player of The Year

Chelsea Jackson Tullahoma

Midfielder Of the Year

Lauren Wilson Columbia

Coach of the Year

Neal Gordon Shelbyville

For anyone that was there to see the game, does anyone know the way the rule reads about the way the game ended? Columbia was lining up for a direct kick as the clock wound down. The girl was waiting for the referee to signal that she could kick, the horn sounded on the clock and he blew the whistle for game over without ever letting her kick. Just curious.

For anyone that was there to see the game, does anyone know the way the rule reads about the way the game ended? Columbia was lining up for a direct kick as the clock wound down. The girl was waiting for the referee to signal that she could kick, the horn sounded on the clock and he blew the whistle for game over without ever letting her kick. Just curious.

in the post-season the official clock is not kept by the ref its by the press box

so when the clock hits zero game over

lauren had 6 seconds to take the free kick plus the closest shelbyville player was 12 to 13 yards away

she could hit it but i think she run out gas and forgot where she was and the time

columbia had there chances in the 2nd half but shelby lamb did great job in goal

This is one of my pet peeves as a coach and drives me crazy. Unless there is an unusual circumstance, you do not have to wait for the ref to blow his whistle to take a direct or an indirect kick. Unless the player has "asked for ten", there is a caution or red card, an injury, etc. then you have to wait for the ref to blow his whistle to restart play. In the case of giving a card or dealing with an injury, the ref is supposed to signal the clock keeper to stop the clock. I used to practice quick restarts multiple times with my players and teach them that if we are around the goal and get a direct kick and catch the defense off guard and you can look up and see the keeper out of position, set the ball and take the shot. Yet, everytime they would wait for the other team to organize their defense, set their wall, and then look over at the ref and ask if it is ok to go ahead and take the kick. Yes, take the crazy kick! You don't have to wait on the ref to blow his whistle! Now, I'll get off my soap box. Hope this helps.

This is one of my pet peeves as a coach and drives me crazy. Unless there is an unusual circumstance, you do not have to wait for the ref to blow his whistle to take a direct or an indirect kick. Unless the player has "asked for ten", there is a caution or red card, an injury, etc. then you have to wait for the ref to blow his whistle to restart play. In the case of giving a card or dealing with an injury, the ref is supposed to signal the clock keeper to stop the clock. I used to practice quick restarts multiple times with my players and teach them that if we are around the goal and get a direct kick and catch the defense off guard and you can look up and see the keeper out of position, set the ball and take the shot. Yet, everytime they would wait for the other team to organize their defense, set their wall, and then look over at the ref and ask if it is ok to go ahead and take the kick. Yes, take the crazy kick! You don't have to wait on the ref to blow his whistle! Now, I'll get off my soap box. Hope this helps.

I am with you on this, Whitey. But another one of my pet peeves is when my players waste one of these opportunities by rushing too much and "twanking" the shot. This is why it is important to practice these situations (as you said) so that they are aware of what to do and how to do it.

Good reffing is important, too. Can't stand when a opposing player stands in front of the ball, or "ties their shoe" 5 yards in front of the ball, causing you to not be able to take a quick restart. This is a cardable offense (though not always called). I believe it is called "encroachment"...

Good reffing is important, too. Can't stand when a opposing player stands in front of the ball, or "ties their shoe" 5 yards in front of the ball, causing you to not be able to take a quick restart. This is a cardable offense (though not always called). I believe it is called "encroachment"...

That raises a question. I've seen many times that a player steps in front of the ball (within the 10 yard zone) but begins to back up (slowly). They are moving away, but perhaps not fast enough for the player with the ball who might want to take a quick restart. Is this wrong or allowed? I always thought it was a good move on their part.