Week 9 Big Games in Memphis

kwc

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not Kwc, but I attended that game. Here's my 2-cents worth, OldDevil:

The story of this game was Germantown's near-flawless execution of its wishbone offense!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Whitehaven struck quickly on its 1st posession, leading me to think that this game was going to be a rout.

Wrong!

G'twn proved that this was going to be a tough, close ballgame, as it scored on one of its 1st-half (I can't remember exactly which...) early posessions. Their defense stepped up also. They bent, but did not break.... Whitehaven did not score again, during the 1st-half, as both teams took turns punting the ball.

Halftime: G'twn 7 -- Whitehaven 6

Whitehaven mounted an impressive drive (primarily via the ground game) during the 2nd-half, to take a 12 - 7 lead. Their 2pt conversion failed....They would maintain this lead, as they kept Gtwn's offense reasonably in check, thru the 4th Qtr.

Again, G'twn refused to lie down. They remained patient & disciplined. They stuck to their running game, while attempting only about 2 or 3 passes (if that many).

Facing a 5 pt defecit midway thru the 4th qtr, G'twn mounted it's 2nd sustained drive of the night. Behind the tough running of #21 (I think), Gtwn got its Wishbone offense in gear again and drove the ball down to Whitehaven's 25 or 30 yard line.... Whitehaven's defense stiffened.....Gtwn suddenly found themselves at 4th down & 9.

Time out, Germantown.

Germantown came out, lined up in its Wishbone, then ran a toss-sweep to the right (to #21, I think) just as they had done all night long.....Only THIS time, the play took on a clever twist: Instead of tucking & running up the field, the RB took the pitch & ran a couple of steps towards the line of scrimmage (in doing so, he suked in the line-backers & safeties). The RB then pulled up and fired a half-back pass down into the end zone, to a wide open receiver!

Touchdown, Germantown ............. Germantown 14 --- Whitehaven 12.

Whitehaven returned the ensuing kickoff to near mid-field, in perfect position to drive the final 3 1/2 minutes for the game-winning TD.

Whitehaven stuck with its ground game & drove down to Gtwn's 10-yard line or 15-yard line.... 12-seconds left. Facing 4th down and long, Whitehaven game-winning FG attempt fell woefully short. Gtwn took over on downs.

Game over. Gtwn pulls off the local upset of the season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitehaven had a relatively tough time containing G'twns triple option offense, as Gtwn put together two very impressive scoring drives -- RUNNING the ball, exclusively. It was truly shocking to see them run the ball that effectively, on Whitehaven's defense.

Now, I don't know what the stat sheets show, but G'twn probably gained around 180 yards or so running the ball. While this may not seem like a ton of rushing yards.... against Whitehaven's stiff defense, trust me--this is a TON lot of yards! The biggest key for Gtwn's success is that they executed their offense to near-perfection, as they convert many crucial 3rd &/or 4th-down situations.

Germantown might have passed the ball only 3 or 4 times, all night long. The biggest, and most surprising of all -- the half-back pass, resulted in Germantown's game-clinching TD!

Whitehaven played well. Germantown just out-executed Whitehaven.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final game notes:

1) Whitehaven played without its starting QB & RB (maybe a WR, I think).... the sub RB gained about 170 yards. The sub QB...well, he did an OK job. 1 TD pass.

2) Who knows how much difference Whitehaven's starting QB would have made...

3) Take nothing away from Germantown! They played an outstanding game. Excellent execution. They scored twice on Whitehaven's super-tough defense. Great win.

4) Germantown was great vs Whitehaven, but I don't think that they're a bona fide Championship contending TEAM.

5) I predict that Germantown will defeat it's 1st-round Region 7 opponent.

6) Germantown will be a tough "out" for ANY of the Region 7 opponents.

7) Although they lost to G'twn, I still believe that Whitehaven will make to the 5A Semi-Finals....at least!

8) Whitehaven just has a superior TEAM, all around. I honestly think that this loss will make them better equipped for a Championship run.

Don't necessarily agree with the the tigers having a hard time containing the triple option. Here are the stats to the game. Keep in mind G-town ran the ball every play accept maybe 3.

GERMANTOWN 14, WHITEHAVEN 12

Germantown 7 0 0 7 ??” 14

Whitehaven 6 0 0 6 ??” 12

W ??” Gene Robinson 6 pass from Jeremy Malone (kick failed)

G ??” Hunter Hiatt 1 run (John Dangerfield kick)

W ??” Tony Jefferson 10 run (pass failed)

G ??” Julian Jones 27 pass from Sir Gregory Thornton (John Dangerfield kick)

G W

First downs 7 16

Net yards rushing 121 188

Net yards passing 27 87

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING ??” Germantown, Sir Gregory Thornton 13-50. Whitehaven, Tony Jefferson 35-195.

PASSING ??” Germantown, Sir Gregory Thornton 1-1-27-0. Whitehaven, Jeremy Malone 4-9-87-0.

RECEIVING ??” Whitehaven, Samuel Bobo 1-50.

RECORDS ??” Germantown 7-2 (4-2, Region 8-5A), Whitehaven 8-1 (5-1,

Don't necessarily agree with the the tigers having a hard time containing the triple option. Here are the stats to the game. Keep in mind G-town ran the ball every play accept maybe 3.

GERMANTOWN 14, WHITEHAVEN 12

Germantown 7 0 0 7 ??” 14

Whitehaven 6 0 0 6 ??” 12

W ??” Gene Robinson 6 pass from Jeremy Malone (kick failed)

G ??” Hunter Hiatt 1 run (John Dangerfield kick)

W ??” Tony Jefferson 10 run (pass failed)

G ??” Julian Jones 27 pass from Sir Gregory Thornton (John Dangerfield kick)

G W

First downs 7 16

Net yards rushing 121 188

Net yards passing 27 87

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING ??” Germantown, Sir Gregory Thornton 13-50. Whitehaven, Tony Jefferson 35-195.

PASSING ??” Germantown, Sir Gregory Thornton 1-1-27-0. Whitehaven, Jeremy Malone 4-9-87-0.

RECEIVING ??” Whitehaven, Samuel Bobo 1-50.

RECORDS ??” Germantown 7-2 (4-2, Region 8-5A), Whitehaven 8-1 (5-1,

Thanks dannyq ... I missed the first half and I didn't go pull the stats from the paper to verifiy TraderB's comments ... I just went along with what he said ... but I didn't remember watching G-Town move the ball effectively ... they struggeled mightly ... I just didn't feel like arguing the point. Those numbers tell the tale ... Whitehaven dominated the game ... just didn't win it. We (Whitehaven) held G-town's Triple option in check. Thanks for pulling up the stats. Man ... I knew TJ had a big night ... I didn't realize to the tune of 195 yards ... and just think ... He's option 1A in that backfield ... man ... we need to rest him and CM ... and let #8 have all of the carries against Wooddale ... but alas, we lost to G-Town, so we will have to play the starters in the 1st half and build a lead and then let the subs play the 2nd half.

Thanks dannyq ... I missed the first half and I didn't go pull the stats from the paper to verifiy TraderB's comments ... I just went along with what he said ... but I didn't remember watching G-Town move the ball effectively ... they struggeled mightly ... I just didn't feel like arguing the point. Those numbers tell the tale ... Whitehaven dominated the game ... just didn't win it. We (Whitehaven) held G-town's Triple option in check. Thanks for pulling up the stats. Man ... I knew TJ had a big night ... I didn't realize to the tune of 195 yards ... and just think ... He's option 1A in that backfield ... man ... we need to rest him and CM ... and let #8 have all of the carries against Wooddale ... but alas, we lost to G-Town, so we will have to play the starters in the 1st half and build a lead and then let the subs play the 2nd half.

Tre Stewart #8 has worked hard for us over his career at Whitehaven and deserves for that to happen. I'm going to push for that.

DannyG,

Please RE-read my post. I said that Whitehaven had a "relatively" hard time containing G'twns triple option.

I stand by that statement. It is 100% accurate. Here's why:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for clarification purposes....my entire recap was based 100% on what I remembered on how the game unfolded. While the rushing #'s that I thought G'twn "probably" accumulated turned out to be about 50 yards too high, obviously, the fact remains that the actual 120 yards vs Whitehaven is likely amongst the most (if not the most) they've given up this year.

1) 120 yards rushing is NOT a lot of yards, per se, but against Whitehaven.... 120 yards is a whole lot of yards! This is akin to getting over 200 yards on lesser defenses, IMO.

2) In other words, "relatively" means... compared to something else, not in isolation -- keep things in perspective.

3) Teams just don't rush the ball effectively against Whitehaven. It simply does not happen! That is the perspective that I implied. I just did not feel that it was necessary to go into details, explaining the essence of the comment.

4) Furthermore, most teams certaintly don't score 14 pts against them, let alone have those 14 pts come as a direct result of a successful running game.

5) Germantown did. They did both. They were effective. Plus they were the 1st team to defeat Whitehaven. None of this was a fluke! Their triple option was the catalyst to all of this. It was effective.

6) The proof is in the pudding.

7) The number of rushes is irrelevant. Many teams attempt to run vs Whitehaven but, essentially, abandon it once they realize that it is futile.

8) Germantown continued to run the ball because it was effective...Good Coaches stick to what's working. In this case, Germantown triple option was working. There was no need to pass the ball.

9) What I saw was a Germantown offense move the ball on the ground vs Whitehaven, better than I've seen any other team do (if some other team has done it, then it was a game that I personally did not attend, or heard about). Mind you, I never stated or implied that Gtwn moved the ball at will vs Whitehaven! That did NOT happen.

10) Therefore, based on what I witnessed the entire game...Whitehaven did have a "relatively" tough time containing Gtwn's triple option..

11) That is a 100% accurate. I stand by that statement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In conclusion, let me make this point crystal clear: Whitehaven has an OUSTANDING defense. If my comments were interpreted as me suggesting otherwise....that was a seriously incorrect interpretation!

Whitehaven has an exceptional team. In fact, I fully expect Whitehaven to make it to the Semi-finals, if not the finals. This loss does not change my opinion, one bit!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now can't you see why I did not go into details, in my initial post....

Kwc,

I respect your opinion and usually agree with the majority of your views. In this case, however, I obviously disagree with your conclusion:

Whitehaven clearly dominated the statistics. That's rendered meaningless, however, at the end of the day. Their defense played well overall but, relatively speaking, Whitehaven did have trouble containing Germantown's Wishbone Offense.

Closing Argument: If Germantown's triple option was held in check, then please tell me....what ELSE accounts for Germantown doing these 3 things:

1) Actually moving the ball & getting into position to score 2 TDs.

2) No empty Red Zone trips.

3) Doing something 8 other opponents have failed to do -- defeat Whitehaven?

Remember...I never said that Germantown ran rough-shod over Whitehaven's defense!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Germantown out-executed Whitehaven. They were very efficient and effective. They earned that victory! The triple-option was a direct catalyst. That is all that Gtwn did, essentially, the whole game long. They deserve 100% credit.

With all due respect, Kwc, I just don't see how anyone could have come away from that game with any other conclusion.

Let be be clear: my statements are not meant to disparrage Whitehaven's team or defense, in any way. I merely pointed out what I believed to be the key to Gtwn's upset win. That's all....This loss absolutely did not change my long-held view of a Whitehaven "5A State Championship run."

And since we've always been able to disagree without being disagreeable, I don't expect this issue to be any different. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I look forward to your closing argument, Kwc.

Now, here is something that we'll probably agree on: Whitehaven has an outstanding team, despite this upset loss. I'm still betting that Whitehaven is gonna make it to the Semi-Finals, however, if not the Title game.

Stats show

67 yds more rushing for Whitehaven (not what i would call dominate)

60 yds more passing (almost all of that on the 1-50yd bomb to Sam Bobo)

7-16 First downs Whitehaven double up Gtown, now that shows some dominace

But not seeing this game, my question is they was more ball possession during the game supported by the first downs each had so was all this moving the ball between the 20's, if so what did Gtown do to keep the Tigers out of the end zone when they moved towards the redzone? seamed like this game played out more evenly than most thought.

Stats show

But not seeing this game, my question is they was more ball possession during the game supported by the first downs each had so was all this moving the ball between the 20's, if so what did Gtown do to keep the Tigers out of the end zone when they moved towards the redzone? seamed like this game played out more evenly than most thought.

Germantown's defense bent a lot, but did not break. They played much tougher defense, once Whitehaven got beyond the 40, into Gtwn's territory. It was as if this were Germantown's strategy, all along...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This game did not have excessive penalties. I don't recall any turnovers, either. This was a clean, hard fought football game. Both teams earned exactly what they got.

Whitehaven dominated the stats, but not the game or the scoreboard. They had no trouble moving the ball between the 30's. though. I won't say "20's" because, if my memory is working, Whitehaven had only 1 empty trip into the Red Zone.....that was on it's very last drive, which ended in a failed game-ending FG attempt.

One key factor not illustrated by the stats is Field Position: Germantown won that all-important battle.

Germantown's kicking game consistently forced Whitehaven to drive greater distances, more often. Whereas, Germantown enjoyed much better field-position, more often. This is mostly why Gtwn's stats pale in comparison to Whitehaven's. Yet, Gtwn still won the game.

As for Germantown's offense, once they got deep into Whitehaven's territory (which was only twice, I think) they scored TDs both times. They were very efficient. They obviously made their extra points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cam6, hopefully this helps shed some light on the nuisances of this game.

It was a very good football game, that went down to the wire. Very exciting!

Germantown just out-executed Whitehaven, when it counted most. Period. It was not a fluke!

Germantown's defense bent a lot, but did not break. They played much tougher defense, once Whitehaven got beyond the 40, into Gtwn's territory. It was as if this were Germantown's strategy, all along...

This game did not have excessive penalties. I don't recall any turnovers, either. This was a clean, hard fought football game. Both teams earned exactly what they got.

Whitehaven dominated the stats, but not the game or the scoreboard. They had no trouble moving the ball between the 30's. though. I won't say "20's" because, if my memory is working, Whitehaven had only 1 empty trip into the Red Zone.....that was on it's very last drive, which ended in a failed game-ending FG attempt.

One key factor not illustrated by the stats is Field Position: Germantown won that all-important battle.

Germantown's kicking game consistently forced Whitehaven to drive greater distances, more often. Whereas, Germantown enjoyed much better field-position, more often. This is mostly why Gtwn's stats pale in comparison to Whitehaven's. Yet, Gtwn still won the game.

As for Germantown's offense, once they got deep into Whitehaven's territory (which was only twice, I think) they scored TDs both times. They were very efficient. They obviously made their extra points.

Germantown just out-executed Whitehaven, when it counted most. Period. It was not a fluke!

I stand corrected. Hopefully we will get the opportunity to see them again with all our bullets for the gun.

Thanks for the info, i forgot abot field position and how that could have skewed the yardage to Whaven. Sounds like it was very competitive game and also looks like the running back (Mosby) may not have made a whole lot of difference because the RB who played had a huge game. sometimes when a starter doesn't play it works to your advantage because defenses relaxes a little. Who knows and maybe the two teams meet again in the playoffs if they finish #1 and #3 they probably will because i don't expect 7-5A to advance teams other than Millington. Good Luck

Stats show

That's my point in a nutshell. Whitehaven was the better team on the field and that was evident to everybody who watched the game. Whitehaven's saftey can't fall asleep on a 4th and 9 play and let a receiver get behind him when we stuffed the triple option run ALL NIGHT. Germantown executed when the chips were down. Subsequently, Whitehaven drove the ball downfield in a manner of minutes for the game winning score and with about 20 something seconds left on the clock ... the OC went AWAY from what was working ... running the ball up the gut. Whitehaven had the game in their hands and didn't do the things that got them in that position in the first place. Whitehaven pushed Germantown all over the field ... the stats back that up. Don't get me wrong ... Germantown played a great game ... but in my opinion ... it was about what Whitehaven didn't do ... and not what Germantown did.