Week 9 Big Games in Memphis

kwc

This is where the wheat is seperated from the chaff. These games have playoff implications. In some cases, these games will help to determine who plays post season and who packs their gear up for next year.

MUS (D2-AA West) vs ECS (D2-AA West): @ ECS

MUS, 8-0, is on a roll. Some think they could be the best team in the state regardless of classification. Whether that is the case or not ... they are playing extremely well. They have vanquished some of the best teams in the Memphis area during this years current campaign. Last week's domination of Briarcrest 48-7 is a classic example. ECS, 7-1, on the otherhand still has something to prove. Their 7-1 record doesn't have the same type of SOS (Strength Of Schedule) as MUS's. Last week an undefested ECS lost a defensive game against a then 5-3 CBHS. This is a home game for ECS but that really isn't going to matter much because most D2 schools that are local travel well with their respective teams. IF ECS can win this game ... it will be considered a big upset in my book.

Pick: MUS

Cordova (7-5A) vs Craigmont (7-5A): @ Raleigh Egypt

Cordova, 7-1, are currently undefeated in region play. Their one lone loss came at the beginning of the season to ECS, and that was a competitive contest. If Cordova wins this game then their last game of the regular season will be probably be a 7-5A showdown with Millington for the top seed in the playoffs should Millington beat a 4-4 Bolton this Friday night. Craigmont, 5-3, currently has two region losses to Millington and Ridgeway. Their other loss was to CBHS earlier in the season. Cordova beat Rideway 24-0; Craigmont lost to Ridgeway 14-6. They have some other common region opponents, but I think that is probably a more telling tale. Craigmont is the host and I don't know how the Cordova fans follow their team so I will Craigmont a slight edge in that regard. Looking at the scores from thier season play ... both teams have pretty good defenses ... Cordova seems to be able to score more then Craigmont ... despite the Cordova/Bolton 7-3 game.

Pick: Cordova

Collierville (8-5A) vs White Station (8-5A): @ Fairground

Collierville, 5-3, has two region losses to Germantown (20-10) and Whitehaven (23-10). Their other loss came by the hands of 7-5A Millington (29-7). They have beaten region foes Hamilton (30-0), Wooddale (63-12), and Houston (24-0). Collierville's last two games are against 8-5A opponents who have the potential to be playing in the post season; White Station and Kirby. This is a must win game for Collierville. White Station, 5-3, has only one region loss to Whitehaven (17-0). Their other two losses are from non-region opponents being D2-2A, CBHS (10-7), and 8-4A, Fairley (26-10). White Station has beat 8-5A opponents Germantown (26-9), Hamilton (40-0), Kirby (42-6), and Wooddale (27-0). White Station has 8-5A opponents Collierville and Houston left on thier schedule. This is a home game for White Station but with it being played at the Fairgrounds I don't know if the Collierville fans will show up in abundance, so the fan support will be about even in that regard because White Station has a good following but not a great one. The White Station/Kirby game is not what it seems because of circumstances with the Kirby team ... but that being said, White Station has the better region record. Neither team can afford to lose this game ... Collierville more so then White Station. Looking at the schedule's of both teams it appears to me that White Station has played the quality teams BETTER then Collierville has played them. White Station beat a very good Memphis East team 41-14 earler in the season handing them one of their two losses on the year. White Station's team defense has held their opponents to a lower scoring average then what Collierville's has done, especially against quality teams.

Pick: White Station

Kirby (8-5A) vs Houston (8-5A): @ Kirby

Kirby, 5-3, started the season 5-0. They have presently lost their last three games to White Station (42-6), Germantown (26-12), and Whitehaven (29-12). Kirby has beaten 8-5A opponents Hamliton and Wooddale, but they have yet to face Houston and Collierville, their last two regular season games. This is also senior night at Kirby and their last home game which will give Kirby a big home field advantage. Houston, 6-2, also started off the season 5-0. They lost two games in a row to region opponents Collierville (24-0) and Whitehaven (19-6). However, last week they convincingly beat Germantown (42-21), a score ... I might add ... caught me totally off gaurd. I've seen both teams play against Whitehaven and I know that Kirby has one of the best QB's in town and they have quality receivers. Houston employs the spread and they have a caple RB in Nick Nelms who will pound the ball up the gut. The question then becomes defenses. Houston and Kirby both have moderate defenses that are susceptible a good ground game. But running games are not the strong point of either of these teams ... they both pass a lot. (Except, last week Houston ran the ball for 229 yards on Germantown and passed for grand total of 14 yards) Kirby was torched by White Station in the passing game ... but that game had a lot of the Kirby starters missing. Houston has yet to face the two best region 8 passing teams ... White Station and Kirby. Both teams have the ability to put points up on the board. Both teams have good but not stellar defenses. I think this will be a high scoring game. I think the last team with the ball wins this game ... but since I have to pick a team.

Pick: Houston ... no ... Kirby ... no ... Houston ... no ... (This is hard ... no more waffeling) ... HoussssKiiiirrrr ... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> ... Houkirby ... no ... Kirhouston ... ok ok ok ... Kiiirrr ... Kirby!

Whitehaven (8-5A) vs Germantown (8-5A): @ Whitehaven

Whitehaven, 8-0, is currently in the drivers seat for the top seed in the playoffs. Injuries are mounting ... but that is the same for every team at this time of the year. They play their last two games at home and that is a definate plus. Whitehaven's offense has done it this year with a punishing ground game that has the ability to pass. The defense is suffocating, fast, hard hitting with the ability to keep the opposing team out of the end zone. Whitehaven has Germantown and Wooddale left on their schedule. Germantown, 6-2, has had a really good season as well. Their two losses have come by the hands of region opponents White Station (26-9) and Houston (42-21). Germantown has Whitehaven and Hamilton left on their schedule. Germantown needs this win this game worse then Whitehaven, but by the same token, Whitehaven is playing to host throughout the playoffs and this game is must win game in that regard. Germantown gave up a huge amount of ground yardage to Houston last week and I don't see them stopping Whitehaven's ground game either. Whitehaven's 'D' will prove to be too much shutting down Germantown's running game and forcing them to do what they don't want to do ... pass.

Pick: Whitehaven

That's it for me, what do you guys think?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where the wheat is seperated from the chaff. These games have playoff implications. In some cases, these games will help to determine who plays post season and who packs their gear up for next year.

MUS, 8-0, is on a roll. Some think they could be the best team in the state regardless of classification. Whether that is the case or not ... they are playing extremely well. They have vanquished some of the best teams in the memphis area during this years current campaign. Last week's domination of Briarcrest 48-7 is a classic example. ECS, 7-1, on the otherhand still has something to prove. Their 7-1 record doesn't have the same type of SOS (Strength Of Schedule) as MUS's. Last week an undefested ECS lost a defensive game against a then 5-3 CBHS. This is a home game for ECS but that really isn't going to matter much because most D2 schools that are local travel well with their respective teams. IF ECS can win this game ... it will be considered a big upset in my book.

Pick: MUS Even though I'm affiliated with ECS, gotta agree with you on this one.

Cordova, 7-1, are currently undefeated in region play. Their one lone loss came at the beginning of the season to ECS, and that was a competitive contest. If Cordova wins this game then their last game of the regular season will be probably be a 7-5A showdown with Millington for the top seed in the playoffs should Millington beat a 4-4 Bolton this Friday night. Craigmont, 5-3, currently has two region losses to Millington and Ridgeway. Their other loss was to CBHS earlier in the season. Cordova beat Rideway 24-0; Craigmont lost to Ridgeway 14-6. They have some other common region opponents, but I think that is probably a more telling tale. Craigmont is the host and I don't know how the Cordova fans follow their team so I will Craigmont a slight edge in that regard. Looking at the scores from thier season play ... both teams have pretty good defenses ... Cordova seems to be able to score more then Craigmont ... despite the Cordova/Bolton 7-3 game.

Pick: Cordova, I pick Cordova also.

Collierville, 5-3, has two region losses to Germantown (20-10) and Whitehaven (23-10). Their other loss came by the hands of 7-5A Millington (29-7). They have beaten region foes Hamilton (30-0), Wooddale (63-12), and Houston (24-0). Collierville's last two games are against 8-5A opponents who have the potential to be playing in the post season; White Station and Kirby. This is a must win game for Collierville. White Station, 5-3, has only one region loss to Whitehaven (17-0). Their other two losses are from non-region opponents being D2-2A, CBHS (10-7), and 8-4A, Fairley (26-10). White Station has beat 8-5A opponents Germantown (26-9), Hamilton (40-0), Kirby (42-6), and Wooddale (27-0). White Station has 8-5A opponents Collierville and Houston left on thier schedule. This is a home game for White Station but with it being played at the Fairgrounds I don't know if the Collierville fans will show up in abundance, so the fan support will be about even in that regard because White Station has a good following but not a great one. The White Station/Kirby game is not what it seems because of circumstances with the Kirby team ... but that being said, White Station has the better region record. Neither team can afford to lose this game ... Collierville more so then White Station. Looking at the schedule's of both teams it appears to me that White Station has played the quality teams BETTER then Collierville has played them. White Station beat a very good Memphis East team 41-14 earler in the season handing them one of their two losses on the year. White Station's team defense has held their opponents to a lower scoring average then what Collierville's has done, especially against quality teams.

Pick: White Station Gotta go with Collierville on this one, I think they will rise to the calling.

Kirby, 5-3, started the season 5-0. They have presently lost their last three games to White Station (42-6), Germantown (26-12), and Whitehaven (29-12). Kirby has beaten 8-5A opponents Hamliton and Wooddale, but they have yet to face Houston and Collierville, their last two regular season games. This is also senior night at Kirby and their last home game which will give Kirby a big home field advantage. Houston, 6-2, also started off the season 5-0. They lost two games in a row to region opponents Collierville (24-0) and Whitehaven (19-6). However, last week they convincingly beat Germantown (42-21), a score ... I might add ... caught me totally off gaurd. I've seen both teams play against Whitehaven and I know that Kirby has one of the best QB's in town and they have quality receivers. Houston employs the spread and they have a caple RB in Nick Nelms who will pound the ball up the gut. The question then becomes defenses. Houston and Kirby both have moderate defenses that are susceptible a good ground game. But running games are not the strong point of either of these teams ... they both pass a lot. (Except, last week Houston ran the ball for 229 yards on Germantown and passed for grand total of 14 yards) Kirby was torched by White Station in the passing game ... but that game had a lot of the Kirby starters missing. Houston has yet to face the two best region 8 passing teams ... White Station and Kirby. Both teams have the ability to put points up on the board. Both teams have good but not stellar defenses. I think this will be a high scoring game. I think the last team with the ball wins this game ... but since I have to pick a team.

Pick: Houston ... no ... Kirby ... no ... Houston ... no ... (This is hard ... no more waffeling) ... HoussssKiiiirrrr ... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> ... Houkirby ... no ... Kirhouston ... ok ok ok ... Kiiirrr ... Kirby! Gonna go with Houston on this one, I think they will build on last week's win.

Whitehaven, 8-0, is currently in the drivers seat for the top seed in the playoffs. Injuries are mounting ... but that is the same for every team at this time of the year. The play their last two games at home and that is a definate plus. Whitehaven's offense has done it this year with a punishing ground game that has the ability to pass. The defense is suffocating, fast, hard hitting with the ability to keep the opposing team out of the end zone. Whitehaven has Germantown and Wooddale left on their schedule. Germantown, 6-2, has had a really good season as well. Their two losses have come by the hands of region opponents White Station (26-9) and Houston (42-21). Germantown has Whitehaven and Hamilton left on their schedule. Germantown needs this win this game worse then Whitehaven, but by the same token, Whitehaven is playing to host throughout the playoffs and this game is must win game in that regard. Germantown gave up a huge amount of ground yardage to Houston last week and I don't see them stopping Whitehaven's ground game either. Whitehaven's 'D' will prove to be too much shutting down Germantown's running game and forcing them to do what they don't want to do ... pass.

Pick: Whitehaven I agree, Whitehaven is too strong for G'town.

I like :

MUS

Cordova

Collierville

Houston

Whitehaven

Collierville/WS will be a good game i think but collierville has problems with speed so they better have a plan for Burton he is a playmaker.

Gtown/WH may be closer than we all think, two ground teams with the clock not stopping much and two good coaches that will scheme well to stop the run so it could be a close low scoring game, still pick Whitehaven.

MUS just Better

Cordova better and more playmakers than Craigmont and Craigmont has trouble scoring period.

Good start Kirby 5-0 but are victims of their schedule, next 5 Whitehaven, White station, GTown, Houston, Collierville, Brutal.........

MUS, 8-0, is on a roll. Some think they could be the best team in the state regardless of classification. Whether that is the case or not ... they are playing extremely well. They have vanquished some of the best teams in the Memphis area during this years current campaign. Last week's domination of Briarcrest 48-7 is a classic example. ECS, 7-1, on the otherhand still has something to prove. Their 7-1 record doesn't have the same type of SOS (Strength Of Schedule) as MUS's. Last week an undefested ECS lost a defensive game against a then 5-3 CBHS. This is a home game for ECS but that really isn't going to matter much because most D2 schools that are local travel well with their respective teams. IF ECS can win this game ... it will be considered a big upset in my book.

Pick: MUS

Pick: Cordova

Pick: White Station

Pick: Houston ... no ... Kirby ... no ... Houston ... no ... (This is hard ... no more waffeling) ... HoussssKiiiirrrr ... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> ... Houkirby ... no ... Kirhouston ... ok ok ok ... Kiiirrr ... Kirby!

Whitehaven, 8-0, is currently in the drivers seat for the top seed in the playoffs. Injuries are mounting ... but that is the same for every team at this time of the year. They play their last two games at home and that is a definate plus. Whitehaven's offense has done it this year with a punishing ground game that has the ability to pass. The defense is suffocating, fast, hard hitting with the ability to keep the opposing team out of the end zone. Whitehaven has Germantown and Wooddale left on their schedule. Germantown, 6-2, has had a really good season as well. Their two losses have come by the hands of region opponents White Station (26-9) and Houston (42-21). Germantown has Whitehaven and Hamilton left on their schedule. Germantown needs this win this game worse then Whitehaven, but by the same token, Whitehaven is playing to host throughout the playoffs and this game is must win game in that regard. Germantown gave up a huge amount of ground yardage to Houston last week and I don't see them stopping Whitehaven's ground game either. Whitehaven's 'D' will prove to be too much shutting down Germantown's running game and forcing them to do what they don't want to do ... pass.

Pick: Whitehaven

I agree with all, except Kirby.

------------------------------------------------

1) Houston will tip-toe into Hickory Hill and defeat Kirby by 17 pts... Houston will exploit Kirby's overly aggressive defense, bigtime!

2) Whitehaven/Germantown will be relatively short & close... Whitehaven wins 21 - 7. This game will likely be concluded by 8:45 pm.

I agree with all, except Kirby.

------------------------------------------------

1) Houston will tip-toe into Hickory Hill and defeat Kirby by 17 pts... Houston will exploit Kirby's overly aggressive defense, bigtime!

2) Whitehaven/Germantown will be relatively short & close... Whitehaven wins 21 - 7. This game will likely be concluded by 8:45 pm.

Done by 8:45, wow! I agree with the score, but I think that's a little short on time.

kwc or anyone who might know, What is White Station doing offensively. Early on they were shotgun spead and pass with a little run mixed in. I also also Burton taking snaps early on. Just wondering if they have continued the same scheme or changed anything. I normally watch box scores in key games to see what a team do well but just haven't caught much info on White Station this year.

Anyone got anything

kwc or anyone who might know, What is White Station doing offensively. Early on they were shotgun spead and pass with a little run mixed in. I also also Burton taking snaps early on. Just wondering if they have continued the same scheme or changed anything. I normally watch box scores in key games to see what a team do well but just haven't caught much info on White Station this year.

Anyone got anything

I haven't seen WSHS since they played Whitehaven earlier in the year. I've seen some stats but nothing comes to mind except I've seen Burton's name a lot and their QB ... Marino. I still have Saturdays sports section on hand and in the Wooddale game Burton scored on a 37 yard pass and a 7 yard run. The QB scored on a 4 yard run and Keon Johnson scored on a 15 yard run. WSHS amassed 18 FD's on 224 yards rushing and 84 yards passing in a 27-0 win.

I would guess that WSHS hasn't changed up too much from what you saw earlier. I would think that they have perfected what they do. Remember ... this is a new coaching staff and I don't see them changing anything mid season. You dance with the one you brought to the dance.

That's all I've got.

I haven't seen WSHS since they played Whitehaven earlier in the year. I've seen some stats but nothing comes to mind except I've seen Burton's name a lot and their QB ... Marino. I still have Saturdays sports section on hand and in the Wooddale game Burton scored on a 37 yard pass and a 7 yard run. The QB scored on a 4 yard run and Keon Johnson scored on a 15 yard run. WSHS amassed 18 FD's on 224 yards rushing and 84 yards passing in a 27-0 win.

I would guess that WSHS hasn't changed up too much from what you saw earlier. I would think that they have perfected what they do. Remember ... this is a new coaching staff and I don't see them changing anything mid season. You dance with the one you brought to the dance.

That's all I've got.

Thanks for the info, sounds like they are rushing more than the coach did when he was in Holly Springs where he set some passing records but i am sure he using Burton in the rush game as well since you see Burton at QB. I t would appear the run has been more effeective for them than the pass.

I should have thought about this earlier. My wife works with a woman who has a son that plays for WS. Early in the year they had the new system in place. They changed back (although I don't know how much they have changed). The only reason I know this is because last year her son was a TE and at the start of this year they had in the slot. (no TE's in the new offense) He has since moved back to TE.

I should have thought about this earlier. My wife works with a woman who has a son that plays for WS. Early in the year they had the new system in place. They changed back (although I don't know how much they have changed). The only reason I know this is because last year her son was a TE and at the start of this year they had in the slot. (no TE's in the new offense) He has since moved back to TE.

MarkH ... give us your picks man!

MUS in a blowout

Cordova-setting up the game for all the marbles Halloween night in Cordova

White Station

Houston-not sold on Kirby yet but Flowers has done a pretty good job so far. They just need to beat someone who isn't a perennial punching bag. I wouldn't wish their final 5 game schedule on anyone.

Respect the 'Haven. Germantown is overrated.