Week 9 Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Bless you Spartansfan ... may everything you touch turn to gold ... not in the King Midas type of touch ... but you get the gist of what I mean.

By the way ... where have you been? We've missed your comments on Coacht ... let me rephrase that ... "I've" missed your comments. Don't stay away so long.

You and I are the only people who think Kirby can beat Houston.

I didn't do so well. I'm shocked that Whitehaven lost at home to G'town! And I heard a 3rd quarter score of Houston 21, Kirby 6.

Cordova-Craigmont went as I expected as did the White Station-C'ville game.

Thanks for noticing my absence...I'm flattered. I check in pretty often, but just haven't gotten involved in posting. If we see a WS vs Whitehaven playoff game, we need to meet up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't do so well. I'm shocked that Whitehaven lost at home to G'town! And I heard a 3rd quarter score of Houston 21, Kirby 6.

Cordova-Craigmont went as I expected as did the White Station-C'ville game.

Thanks for noticing my absence...I'm flattered. I check in pretty often, but just haven't gotten involved in posting. If we see a WS vs Whitehaven playoff game, we need to meet up.

kwc, what in the world happened ? I certainly didn't see that coming. Is Germantown that good? Did Whitehaven just have a bad night? We no longer get the Commercial Appeal in upper west Tennessee so we have to rely on the internet and especially you for Memphis info.

GO BIG RED

MUS 22

ECS 10

Sub-par night for the Owls, but they get the job done!

You gotta give ECS some credit, especially in the first half. Their defense was pretty darn good. It was a great first half in my opinion. The second half our offense never got going, the interception returned for a td was the backbreaker. If our pass defense was only half as strong as our run defense. The overall stats were inversed, MUS 184 yds passing, 85 yds rushing, ECS 17 yds passing, 222 yds rushing. MUS held ECS to only 85 total yds in the second half which was the difference. We had a couple of blown chances, threw an interception in the endzone, drove down to the goal line another time only to be pushed back with a holding penalty. MUS could complete passes at will against our weak pass defense which made the difference in the game. Our young QB runs exceptionally, just needs to learn poise in the pocket and not give up so early.

Let's see:

MUS vs ECS, I got this one, sure wasn't the blowout predicted by many.

Cordova vs. Craigmont, I got this one.

Collierville vs White Station, I missed this one, not sure what happened.

Kirby vs. Houston, I got this one.

Whitehaven vs. Germantown, I missed this one, I guess Whitehaven missed those players that were out.

Overall, 3-2, ok I guess.

I gotta add, Brunetti is one special player. That kid has a future.

Barry's made huge strides since last year...he's learned how to let the O-line work for him. It makes a big difference when a QB has faith in the line. I have to say I really appreciated the ECS PA announcer, calling out the linemen by name on good blocks. Thanks ECS for showing the big guys some love! Now go beat Briarcrest.

Barry's made huge strides since last year...he's learned how to let the O-line work for him. It makes a big difference when a QB has faith in the line. I have to say I really appreciated the ECS PA announcer, calling out the linemen by name on good blocks. Thanks ECS for showing the big guys some love! Now go beat Briarcrest.

Yeah, the pa announcer is good about that. We gotta beat Briarcrest now, let's hope we're up to it!

I gotta add, Brunetti is one special player. That kid has a future.

I agree 100%, WsTnBaller.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been singing MUS' dominance & Brunetti's praise ever since their 1st game, a close but very convincing win over a very good Melrose team! Now, some 8 games later, they have issued a resounding confirmation of my initial observations.

It's kinda funny....I've been such a vocal MUS cheerleader (on these boards) that I've been (wrongly) accused of being a MUS alumni or Private School advocate.

BTW, Brunetti's overall improvement from last year is as dramatic a turn-around as I've seen, in a very long time.

kwc, what in the world happened ? I certainly didn't see that coming. Is Germantown that good? Did Whitehaven just have a bad night? We no longer get the Commercial Appeal in upper west Tennessee so we have to rely on the internet and especially you for Memphis info.

GO BIG RED

I'm not Kwc, but I attended that game. Here's my 2-cents worth, OldDevil:

The story of this game was Germantown's near-flawless execution of its wishbone offense!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Whitehaven struck quickly on its 1st posession, leading me to think that this game was going to be a rout.

Wrong!

G'twn proved that this was going to be a tough, close ballgame, as it scored on one of its 1st-half (I can't remember exactly which...) early posessions. Their defense stepped up also. They bent, but did not break.... Whitehaven did not score again, during the 1st-half, as both teams took turns punting the ball.

Halftime: G'twn 7 -- Whitehaven 6

Whitehaven mounted an impressive drive (primarily via the ground game) during the 2nd-half, to take a 12 - 7 lead. Their 2pt conversion failed....They would maintain this lead, as they kept Gtwn's offense reasonably in check, thru the 4th Qtr.

Again, G'twn refused to lie down. They remained patient & disciplined. They stuck to their running game, while attempting only about 2 or 3 passes (if that many).

Facing a 5 pt defecit midway thru the 4th qtr, G'twn mounted it's 2nd sustained drive of the night. Behind the tough running of #21 (I think), Gtwn got its Wishbone offense in gear again and drove the ball down to Whitehaven's 25 or 30 yard line.... Whitehaven's defense stiffened.....Gtwn suddenly found themselves at 4th down & 9.

Time out, Germantown.

Germantown came out, lined up in its Wishbone, then ran a toss-sweep to the right (to #21, I think) just as they had done all night long.....Only THIS time, the play took on a clever twist: Instead of tucking & running up the field, the RB took the pitch & ran a couple of steps towards the line of scrimmage (in doing so, he suked in the line-backers & safeties). The RB then pulled up and fired a half-back pass down into the end zone, to a wide open receiver!

Touchdown, Germantown ............. Germantown 14 --- Whitehaven 12.

Whitehaven returned the ensuing kickoff to near mid-field, in perfect position to drive the final 3 1/2 minutes for the game-winning TD.

Whitehaven stuck with its ground game & drove down to Gtwn's 10-yard line or 15-yard line.... 12-seconds left. Facing 4th down and long, Whitehaven game-winning FG attempt fell woefully short. Gtwn took over on downs.

Game over. Gtwn pulls off the local upset of the season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitehaven had a relatively tough time containing G'twns triple option offense, as Gtwn put together two very impressive scoring drives -- RUNNING the ball, exclusively. It was truly shocking to see them run the ball that effectively, on Whitehaven's defense.

Now, I don't know what the stat sheets show, but G'twn probably gained around 180 yards or so running the ball. While this may not seem like a ton of rushing yards.... against Whitehaven's stiff defense, trust me--this is a TON lot of yards! The biggest key for Gtwn's success is that they executed their offense to near-perfection, as they convert many crucial 3rd &/or 4th-down situations.

Germantown might have passed the ball only 3 or 4 times, all night long. The biggest, and most surprising of all -- the half-back pass, resulted in Germantown's game-clinching TD!

Whitehaven played well. Germantown just out-executed Whitehaven.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final game notes:

1) Whitehaven played without its starting QB & RB (maybe a WR, I think).... the sub RB gained about 170 yards. The sub QB...well, he did an OK job. 1 TD pass.

2) Who knows how much difference Whitehaven's starting QB would have made...

3) Take nothing away from Germantown! They played an outstanding game. Excellent execution. They scored twice on Whitehaven's super-tough defense. Great win.

4) Germantown was great vs Whitehaven, but I don't think that they're a bona fide Championship contending TEAM.

5) I predict that Germantown will defeat it's 1st-round Region 7 opponent.

6) Germantown will be a tough "out" for ANY of the Region 7 opponents.

7) Although they lost to G'twn, I still believe that Whitehaven will make to the 5A Semi-Finals....at least!

8) Whitehaven just has a superior TEAM, all around. I honestly think that this loss will make them better equipped for a Championship run.

I'm not Kwc, but I attended that game. Here's my 2-cents worth, OldDevil:

The story of this game was Germantown's near-flawless execution of its wishbone offense!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Whitehaven struck quickly on its 1st posession, leading me to think that this game was going to be a rout.

Wrong!

G'twn proved that this was going to be a tough, close ballgame, as it scored on one of its 1st-half (I can't remember exactly which...) early posessions. Their defense stepped up also. They bent, but did not break.... Whitehaven did not score again, during the 1st-half, as both teams took turns punting the ball.

Halftime: G'twn 7 -- Whitehaven 6

Whitehaven mounted an impressive drive (primarily via the ground game) during the 2nd-half, to take a 12 - 7 lead. Their 2pt conversion failed....They would maintain this lead, as they kept Gtwn's offense reasonably in check, thru the 4th Qtr.

Again, G'twn refused to lie down. They remained patient & disciplined. They stuck to their running game, while attempting only about 2 or 3 passes (if that many).

Facing a 5 pt defecit midway thru the 4th qtr, G'twn mounted it's 2nd sustained drive of the night. Behind the tough running of #21 (I think), Gtwn got its Wishbone offense in gear again and drove the ball down to Whitehaven's 25 or 30 yard line.... Whitehaven's defense stiffened.....Gtwn suddenly found themselves at 4th down & 9.

Time out, Germantown.

Germantown came out, lined up in its Wishbone, then ran a toss-sweep to the right (to #21, I think) just as they had done all night long.....Only THIS time, the play took on a clever twist: Instead of tucking & running up the field, the RB took the pitch & ran a couple of steps towards the line of scrimmage (in doing so, he suked in the line-backers & safeties). The RB then pulled up and fired a half-back pass down into the end zone, to a wide open receiver!

Touchdown, Germantown ............. Germantown 14 --- Whitehaven 12.

Whitehaven returned the ensuing kickoff to near mid-field, in perfect position to drive the final 3 1/2 minutes for the game-winning TD.

Whitehaven stuck with its ground game & drove down to Gtwn's 10-yard line or 15-yard line.... 12-seconds left. Facing 4th down and long, Whitehaven game-winning FG attempt fell woefully short. Gtwn took over on downs.

Game over. Gtwn pulls off the local upset of the season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitehaven had a relatively tough time containing G'twns triple option offense, as Gtwn put together two very impressive scoring drives -- RUNNING the ball, exclusively. It was truly shocking to see them run the ball that effectively, on Whitehaven's defense.

Now, I don't know what the stat sheets show, but G'twn probably gained around 180 yards or so running the ball. While this may not seem like a ton of rushing yards.... against Whitehaven's stiff defense, trust me--this is a TON lot of yards! The biggest key for Gtwn's success is that they executed their offense to near-perfection, as they convert many crucial 3rd &/or 4th-down situations.

Germantown might have passed the ball only 3 or 4 times, all night long. The biggest, and most surprising of all -- the half-back pass, resulted in Germantown's game-clinching TD!

Whitehaven played well. Germantown just out-executed Whitehaven.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final game notes:

1) Whitehaven played without its starting QB & RB (maybe a WR, I think).... the sub RB gained about 170 yards. The sub QB...well, he did an OK job. 1 TD pass.

2) Who knows how much difference Whitehaven's starting QB would have made...

3) Take nothing away from Germantown! They played an outstanding game. Excellent execution. They scored twice on Whitehaven's super-tough defense. Great win.

4) Germantown was great vs Whitehaven, but I don't think that they're a bona fide Championship contending TEAM.

5) I predict that Germantown will defeat it's 1st-round Region 7 opponent.

6) Germantown will be a tough "out" for ANY of the Region 7 opponents.

7) Although they lost to G'twn, I still believe that Whitehaven will make to the 5A Semi-Finals....at least!

8) Whitehaven just has a superior TEAM, all around. I honestly think that this loss will make them better equipped for a Championship run.

There you go. TraderB gave a pretty accurate depiction of what happened. When we drove the ball to the Germantown 9 yard line ... I think we had more time then 12 seconds left ... but I don't remember how MUCH time it was. We also had one and maybe two timeouts left I think ... one for sure.

The missing QB and RB and WR didn't matter. The subs played well ... actually, #3 is RB 1A. We had an opportunity to win the game with those subs playing in a tight game ... you can't ask for more then that. The half back pass was a good call from G-town ... but no matter what ... the safty can get fooled like that ... he just can't. Kudos to G-town for a game well played. I wish Whitehaven would open it up just a little bit more ... just a little. Chuck Knoll would be proud ... LOL!

Anyway ... on to Wooddale and then the playoffs.

MUS (D2-AA West) vs ECS (D2-AA West): @ ECS

Pick: MUS

Cordova (7-5A) vs Craigmont (7-5A): @ Raleigh Egypt

Pick: Cordova

Collierville (8-5A) vs White Station (8-5A): @ Fairground

Pick: White Station

Kirby (8-5A) vs Houston (8-5A): @ Kirby

Pick: Houston ... no ... Kirby ... no ... Houston ... no ... (This is hard ... no more waffeling) ... HoussssKiiiirrrr ... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> ... Houkirby ... no ... Kirhouston ... ok ok ok ... Kiiirrr ... Kirby!

Whitehaven (8-5A) vs Germantown (8-5A): @ Whitehaven

Pick: Whitehaven

MUS beat ECS 22-10 ... one for me.

Cordova beat Craigmont 21-19 ... two for me.

White Station beat Collierville 17-7 ... three for me.

Houston beat Kirby 21-6 ... one I missed.

Germantown beat Whitehaven 14-12 ... two I missed.

All and all, 3-2 ... not bad.