IMAC (District 2 AAA) 2008-2009 Thread

raiderray

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that was a diss--but the other is true--the other teams in the conference are a LOT better this year. It is going to be a slug fest. I will be very disappointed if Greenville only loses one or two games.

You might want to start preparing yourself now to be disappointed. On the other hand, we love being in the position of being underestimated so just continue on in your blissfully ignorant state...but I have to say it doesn't surprise me that you know nothing about the Lady Devils since you can't even spell our city's name right. Here's some trivia for you. It's GreenEville. Every state in the country except Hawaii and Alaska has a Greenville except for Tennessee. Ours is the only one with the extra E in the middle and was named for Nathaniel Greene, a revolutionary war hero with ties to our town. Just thought I'd help you out with it in the unlikely event you make it on Jeopardy or something and get this question. (It was actually asked once there) GO LADY DEVILS!

You might want to start preparing yourself now to be disappointed. On the other hand, we love being in the position of being underestimated so just continue on in your blissfully ignorant state...but I have to say it doesn't surprise me that you know nothing about the Lady Devils since you can't even spell our city's name right. Here's some trivia for you. It's GreenEville. Every state in the country except Hawaii and Alaska has a Greenville except for Tennessee. Ours is the only one with the extra E in the middle and was named for Nathaniel Greene, a revolutionary war hero with ties to our town. Just thought I'd help you out with it in the unlikely event you make it on Jeopardy or something and get this question. (It was actually asked once there) GO LADY DEVILS!

I guess you noticed I have most of these ol' boys from Jeff County properly schooled...of course they spell it GreenEVILle /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I guess you noticed I have most of these ol' boys from Jeff County properly schooled...of course they spell it GreenEVILle /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ... Yes I have noticed and I must say how appopriate for our Evil little dEvillEttEs...I think I'd better stop now so I'm not accused of being "E" obsessed/possessed, ha!

Does being obsessed make you a jerk?......Why call another poster ignorant?

Takes the fun out of that all in good fun thingy.

I think the statement "not much without Dickson" kinda falls within the guidelines...besides, theres nothing wrong with being blissfully ignorant.Its somewhat of a requirement in the IMAC....speaking of officiating...does anyone think we can expect any improvement?

QUOTE (robpride @ Oct 29 2008 - 06:17 PM)

Does being obsessed make you a jerk?......Why call another poster ignorant?

Takes the fun out of that all in good fun thingy.

Sorry robpride, didn't mean to offend anyone. I wasn't calling toughnut ignorant in general just about the Lady Devils program. And yes, I suppose I can be a jerk especially when the G'town girls are getting personally dissed. His comments were most likely meant to "jerk" GreenEville fans around. So, I guess it worked if you think I am one. However, you will notice I never put down any young person working their butt off to play and be competitive in a high school sport as toughnut did. So, I guess that's what got me going on him. But, really, my intentions are completely benevolent and light-hearted. Just couldn't let his comment go since 3 of the 5 Lady Devils starters return and their very experienced number 6 and 7 players will most likely be the other 2.

I think the statement "not much without Dickson" kinda falls within the guidelines...besides, theres nothing wrong with being blissfully ignorant.Its somewhat of a requirement in the IMAC....speaking of officiating...does anyone think we can expect any improvement?

Thanks for the back-up there barb. I've really been trying not to be a jerk the last few years but I'm a work in progress. Re: IMAC officiating - I heard a rumor at the end of last year that we might get the Tri-Cities bunch to come down. They did a pretty good fair job when we went to Elizabethton last year and they are pretty physically tough, too as I remember one of them got tangled up with someone on the sidelines and took a nasty fall but just kept on truckin'. Gotta admire that! And that their calling was fair and consistant. It was rather refreshing.

He He--Thanks for setting me straight on my spelling!! Ignorant just means unaware so I can't fault anybody for that. I was unaware although I should be aware--I've only lived here all my life!! Seriously, though, my daughter plays AAU and we were getting into the car after a loss to a team that has a D1 recruit, taller than Dickson, and a parent from the opposing team ran over to me to tell me what a great game we played, blah, blah, blah. Then, out of the blue, that parent told me that even if they didn't have D1 recruit they would still be a great team. D1 recruit, like Dickson, scored 2/3 of the points they had, almost all of the rebounds, and had most of the blocked shots. I was amazed that this babble was coming out of his lips.

You guys might be right, GreenEville might be a force without Dickson, but I will have to see it to believe it. And not against AA teams. Even my daughter's high school team rips through AA teams.

He He--Thanks for setting me straight on my spelling!! Ignorant just means unaware so I can't fault anybody for that. I was unaware although I should be aware--I've only lived here all my life!! Seriously, though, my daughter plays AAU and we were getting into the car after a loss to a team that has a D1 recruit, taller than Dickson, and a parent from the opposing team ran over to me to tell me what a great game we played, blah, blah, blah. Then, out of the blue, that parent told me that even if they didn't have D1 recruit they would still be a great team. D1 recruit, like Dickson, scored 2/3 of the points they had, almost all of the rebounds, and had most of the blocked shots. I was amazed that this babble was coming out of his lips.

You guys might be right, GreenEville might be a force without Dickson, but I will have to see it to believe it. And not against AA teams. Even my daughter's high school team rips through AA teams.

No problem...us being little AA Greeneville playing up in AAA all these years makes us a little sensitive (about our name and our team, ha) beacuse even though we have done so well every year, the other IMAC teams want to count us out. But, an obervation about your D1 recruit situation -- that may be true in that case but at Greeneville we really have a PROGRAM (an answer to noonesfool) that consistantly grows and is fundamentally sound. Dickson has been our high scorer because we would be crazy not to design plays around her obvious skills but almost every girl on the Varsity this year could just as easily be the high scorer. In Spring AAU, they dominated everyone without Dickson. I think even Coach Crumbley may have been a little surprised at their transition game and the high scoring as she observed from the stands.

Morgan Shipley is a pure 3-point shooter who made the other IMAC teams pay last year for ignoring her on the wing. Brianna Kelley had double digit scoring several times last year as a sophmore and is a threat anywhere on the court, probably the most well-rounded athlete on the team. (Kind of reminds you of Ashley Deans, great moves and a dead-on shooter, outside percentages are good but that 10-15 foot jumper is money almost everytime) Ramsey can shoot but chooses to run the point exactly the way Coach Crumbley tells her to. She is very unselfish and a true little general at the point position. Connor Hall will out-rebound most at the post position this year and will be a force for put-backs. Jeana Medlin can drain the 3's all night also. Rainey Story and Sam Fender (sophs) will be key energizers off the bench as well.

I really hope we do see you next year in some out of conference games to see how this all plays out. But let's focus on this season. You're right, the level of competition is going to make for an interesting year.

Here is a question for IMAC fans. Do you have a team or a program? In other words do you reload or rebuild. Do you say we will be good in 2 years or we will be very competetive every year?

Give your opinions, could be fun.

I've given this a lot of thought, shocking, I know. Obviously the "program" has to start in middle school. Except for the really talented player, it is too late to develop a team (players) in high school. So, that being said, how good are the feeder schools? Well, based on that, I would say that West will dominate after this year. West View has rolled over all the middle schools in the area year after year. Cloninger (sp?) is an excellant coach and drills the girls over and over in fundamentals. She also travels as a team in fall ball.

I know that Galyon also drills the girls in fundamentals. They run, run, run some more and then scrimmage until they drop. Sents has a wonderful conditioning program for the off season. She does weights, running, foot conditioning, etc.

I think the sleeper this year is Jeff County. They had a hard start last year but have the talent to be right up there this year. They wore East out both games last year which shocked me to the core.

I've given this a lot of thought, shocking, I know. Obviously the "program" has to start in middle school. Except for the really talented player, it is too late to develop a team (players) in high school. So, that being said, how good are the feeder schools? Well, based on that, I would say that West will dominate after this year. West View has rolled over all the middle schools in the area year after year. Cloninger (sp?) is an excellant coach and drills the girls over and over in fundamentals. She also travels as a team in fall ball.

I know that Galyon also drills the girls in fundamentals. They run, run, run some more and then scrimmage until they drop. Sents has a wonderful conditioning program for the off season. She does weights, running, foot conditioning, etc.

I think the sleeper this year is Jeff County. They had a hard start last year but have the talent to be right up there this year. They wore East out both games last year which shocked me to the core.

I believe Greeneville has as good a feeder program as West. GMS has a successful program year after year.

I'm sitting in my office waiting to go watch CCHS and MO West on Sr. Night. I just hope no one gets hurt. We have some really good and hard working guys, especially the Seniors, but we are just not very good. We have had some long years, but I'm not sure that anything has been this long. CCHS has just not figured out a football program yet - though we do have a good guy trying.

My two cents worth for girls basketball. Based on what I saw this summer, simply, MO West is scary good! In fact, they reset the score in 2 of the games I saw - b/c the scores were so lopsided. Hall is the real deal. Big, strong, fast - both inside and outside. I am sure, that someone will figure out as the season progresses how to slow them down, but if they stay injury free and if they realize there is only 1 basketball, this will be a very good team with 3 legitimate scorers, lots of speed and a very solid coach.

I will take G'ville at the top b/c nobody has defeated them for the titles in a bunch of years. They are still the champs, but Mo West will be close.

We do have a new coach. We will be more fast paced, more aggressive/gambling on defense, more disciplined on offense, and, I think, not so predictable. The girls are very excited. Looked very strong this summer. The one area they still have to over come, is a losing mentality that is built in at CCHS. While I expect them to be good, even very good, clearing that hurdle still remains to be seen.

Coach Wester is a promoter. Expect a big student section at IMAC games. He wants a home court advantage. He wants to build a program. He has had multiple activities for the girls through the summer and fall. He has remolded the girl's locker room and it is very nice.

He has never coached girls before nor varsity basketball. He is finding that girls are not easy to coach. He played at Tennessee Tech.

We continue to upgrade our schedule. We have added h/h with Heritage and Science Hill to go with Pigeon Forge, GP and Grainger. We are in the Chop House and Greeneville Christmas tournament.

Courtney Lewis who missed the last half of the season is back and will add another consistent scorer to Shannon Depew. If this team will learn to play better defense, they could be very good - but good is relative to what we play.

On a side and a sad note, Kelsey Lloyd, one of the seniors, my daughter, a three year varsity member and about a half-time starter - not much offense but a scrapper - tore her ACL on Sr Night for the girls soccer team. She will have surgery in about 2 weeks at UT and hopes to be back with her soccer club team by the state championships in May. Injuries are painful, but mostly, they are just sad. She has a desire to play soccer at a small school and everyone - from surgeons to colleges - are most hopeful.

I expect a fun and exciting season.