Sullivan South Rebels host Cherokee Chiefs

JDRebel

Keep it real guys! I know we didn't open the tool box against the Vikings, and I know if we had it would have been an embarresment, but still we need to stay focused on Dominoe. Cherokee is Dominoe #1. They returned 10 starters half skill/half line. They played MoEast tough. I don't know much else. I don't think they have a chance in Hades' either but still we need to focus. We all know what we got but all you got to do is go to the Henry County thread and read a bit. You'd think the Blue Cross Bowl has already been played. We don't want to go there. One game at a time to make sure we get our shot.

Don't want to take everybody's celebration away 'cause it was a good thing in that it gave them real concrete evidence that they can rock-n-roll. We knew that. And I only want to reinforce that. BUT, let's make sure we keep it rolling. So let's strap it on again and prove who we are and not get carried away in the moment. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

What Henry County Thread are you talking about?!?!? Other than a couple of off the charts posters, we at Henry County know we have our work cut out for us through both Memphis and Nashville to even have a shot at someone like Sullivan South, Maryville, or whoever comes out of the East. This is win or go home, no playin' around this time of year. We in West Tennessee know not to ever overlook ANY opponent. Just ask Dyersburg back in 2006. They were 10-0 ranked number 1 and lost in the first round to a Memphis Sheffield team that was 2-8.

Good Luck in Playoffs and who knows, maybe we will meet up!!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victory is sweet!!! I still don't understand the reasoning as to why TN High went for 2 but I'll take it. I need that Dr. Pepper to go with my /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Yeah its great out here in St Louis being able to stream those games over the internet from the 91.5.....freaking charter took a dump about mid way through the 3rd though and I thought the wife was going to lose her mind. I was so upset when I get the txt.....better check that dr pepper buddy might be some visine in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yeah its great out here in St Louis being able to stream those games over the internet from the 91.5.....freaking charter took a dump about mid way through the 3rd though and I thought the wife was going to lose her mind. I was so upset when I get the txt.....better check that dr pepper buddy might be some visine in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Cash is always accepted. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Cash is always accepted. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And miss you doing a replay of the "turbolax" scene from dumb and dumber...... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

i graduated from VHS last year(2007) i can tell you now cherokee is a lot like crockett only a little better. they like lining a buncha big boys up in the back field and handing it off a million times a game. My junior and senior year we beat them mainly with the running game but we also passed pretty much at will. Having said that you sullivan south guys should have a field day with them. im gonna say 56-0, just watch out for this little half back pass and you'll be sure to get a shut-out. Also Sivert likes to pull a buncha crap outta his sleeve like the muddle huddle and the swinging gate and all that junk. know your assignments and stay with them. Good luck Rebs.

i graduated from VHS last year(2007) i can tell you now cherokee is a lot like crockett only a little better. they like lining a buncha big boys up in the back field and handing it off a million times a game. My junior and senior year we beat them mainly with the running game but we also passed pretty much at will. Having said that you sullivan south guys should have a field day with them. im gonna say 56-0, just watch out for this little half back pass and you'll be sure to get a shut-out. Also Sivert likes to pull a buncha crap outta his sleeve like the muddle huddle and the swinging gate and all that junk. know your assignments and stay with them. Good luck Rebs.

I wouldn't worry too much about those big 'ol boys from Cherokee, they'll be huffin and puffin with their hands on their hips by the second quarter. Greenway put 275 yds in the air against their d so South should just romp all over them. Play Safe.

Holy Cow!!!!!!! Don't Chief fans in Rogersville get some sort of internet connections????????

Can anyone, Chiefs or Rebels, or anyone else give us some information on Cherokee Chiefs???

I went and watched the cherokee/volunteer game last friday (would of rather been at the south game but...)... Cherokee didnt play too well. The game was better than the score indicated. Their run D looked pretty good but then again volunteer starts a freshman running back. Their secondary got burn't deep a couple of times and the offense, although they put up 40pts, wasnt impressive. South should be able to score at will barring any turnovers or just a plain off day. I just hope they don't look past cherokee to a possible match-up with Mo East. South wins big 49-14.

Below are some articles I found on online publications and newspapers concerning Cherokee and their season.

Cherokee 41, Grainger Co. 20

Elliott, House Each Score Three TD's in Chiefs' Win

by Wade Littleton

TriCitiesSports.com

August 22, 2008

ROGERSVILLE, Tenn. -- Cherokee had their own version of Pick Two Friday night.

Returning starters Coleman Eliott and Landon House took care of business offensively with three touchdowns each, while the Chiefs' defense shut down the Grainger County Grizzlies, 41-20, in the season opening game for both teams.

Elliott scored on runs of five, 36 and seven yards, while rushing 10 times for 87 yards. House did his scoring damage from four, eight and 45 yards. He had 91 yards rushing on seven carries. Cherokee's rushing leader was Josh Steward who had five for 93 yards.

"It was a good opener for us," Cherokee coach Mike Sivert said afterwards. "We're very happy to have come out and put together a complete game defensively in the second half. We have a big line and good backs who played well."

Eliott scored the first of his touchdowns on a five-yard run with 3:51 remining in the opening quarter. Grainger answered seconds later with an 86-yard kickoff return by Tony Gill, but the extra point failed leaving Cherokee with a 7-6 lead. House added the first of his three scores with a four yarder to put the Chiefs up 14-6. He also scored on an eight-yard run with 9:12 remaining in the second quarter for a 21-6 lead.

The Grizzlies came back on a nine-play drive, capped by a 19-yard Zach Blanken reception from quarterback Sklar McBee. A muffed punt by Cherokee on the next series put Grainger in business at the Cherokee 24. From there, McBee connected with Justin Humprey on a 24-yard score. Josh Hart's conversion catch brought the Grizzlies to within 21-20 at the half.

"We thought we could come back in the third quarter," Grainger County Head Coach Mark Briscoe lamented afterwards. "We have to stop and run the football to win, but we did nether. Cherokee is a good team."

Cherokee put the game out of reach in the third quarter as Elliott scored his second touchdown on a 36-yard jaunt and seven-yard run. House took the final run home with a 45-yard score. Both teams played their second teams in the fourth quarter.

"We were fortunate enough to keep the ball away from Grainger in the second half," Sivert said. "Grainger was in a throwing groove coming into the third. The effort was there from us, but we need to get polished as we go on."

The Grizzlies' quarterback Skylar McBee put on his best Tim Tebow impersonation, but could only muster 21 yards on 10 carries.

"When we go to play, we expect to win," Briscoe said. "During our open date, we're going to work. We've got to find better ways to run the football."

The Chiefs (1-0) will take to the road next Friday to play Christian Academy of Knoxville. Cherokee lost a 42-21 decision to CAK last year. Grainger County will have an open date next week before opening their new field against Pigeon Forge September 5. Cherokee opens their final Five Rivers Conference season at Burke-Toney Stadium against Morristown West.

MOBUCK MATTER: Friday's game featured a new paint scheme of Mobuck, the Chief at midfield. Many players sported their last names on their jerseys due to hard work put in during the summer months. A moment of silence was observed before the game in memory of the murder victim who died Thursday at Knoxville Central High School.

This was Grainger County's first-ever football game after 41 years as Rutledge High School. Many Grizzlies fans were sporting Rutledge shirts, but many more had the new school's colors. Grainger County competes in Region I, AAA with schools such as Claiborne, Union County, Cumberland Gap and Pigeon Forge.

CAK 45, Cherokee 21

CAK hands Chiefs first loss of the season

Author: Mike Williams / Sports Editor

Source: The Rogersville Review

KNOXVILLE - Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.

Last week in their football season opener the Cherokee Chiefs were the windshield, blowing past Grainger 45-20 in Week Zero action in Big Red Valley.

Friday night in Knoxville Cherokee was the bug, falling behind 38-0 to Christian Academy of Knoxville before halftime. The Chiefs finally came to life and made things respectable in the end, but dropped their first game of the season, 45-21.

Last season in Rogersville CAK passed all over the Chiefs and won by a nearly identical score, 42-21. The old clich?© that home field advantage is good for three points seemed to ring true Friday.

For the details of Cherokee's game see the September 3 midweek edition of the Review, or check back online on Thursday, September 4.

Morristown West 52, Cherokee 33

Cherokee can't overcome early mistakes, falls to West in track meet

MORRISTOWN - Cherokee had three first half turnovers and was unable to cover up a Morristown West fumble in the endzone in the second period and found itself in a hole that was simply too deep to dig out of against Morristown West here Friday.

With Cherokee facing a hill to climb the contest turned into just what West wanted, a track meet, and the Trojans were able to hold off a spirited Cherokee Chief team 52-33.

The Chiefs spotted West a 7-0 lead 1:40 into the game after turning over their opening possession at their own 20. The Trojans needed three plays to score.

Cherokee's Hunter Hamilton was picked off at mid-field on his club's second drive, but Cherokee was able to force a punt. Josh Steward then ripped off a 52-yard run down West's sideline to give Cherokee its first points of the night. Jordan Cruz' point after evened things up at 7.

The Chiefs attempted an onside kick, but were unable to catch West napping. Six plays later Jordan Bishop scored for West on a three-yard run. The PAT made it 14-7.

Cherokee's next possession ended in disaster as the long-snapper fired the ball over punter Justin Fugate's head and West recovered at the Chief six. Cherokee's defense was able to salvage some pride, forcing a field goal, but West had upped its lead to 17-7.

West's J.J. Goforth fumbled the ball forward into the endzone on the Trojan's next possession. The ball rolled around between the feet of a couple of Chiefs before Tyrell McKinney fell on it for Trojan TD. The point after made it 24-7 and it appeared the rout was on.

Steward, however, had an answer. He jumped in front of teammate Landon House at the seven-yard line on the ensuing kick-off. He bobbled the ball initially while making the leaping catch. He tore into the heart of the West coverage, then set sail down the right sideline, 93-yards to paydirt. Cruz' point after made the score 24-14.

After another onside kick attempt West marched 54-yards in four plays, taking advantage of a missed call that resulted in a 30-yard pass play pick-up. West's Laith Callahan caught the ball cleanly, but was actually out of bounds. What should have simply been an incompletion turned into a 30-yard gain down to Cherokee's 14. The next play was a 14-yard TD run Chad Brooks. The extra point made the score 31-14.

Cherokee again responded, driving 57 yards in five plays. Coleman Elliott capped the drive with a two-yard Td run. Cruz' kick cut the West lead down to 10 by intermission, 31-21.

A strange block in the back penalty on the defense aided West's initial drive of the second half. The Trojans scored to go up 38-21. Cherokee, feeling its back was against the wall, went for it on fourth-and-two from its own 39 on the next drive and failed to convert, throwing an incompletion.

West then drove the 39 yards for another score to go up 45-21. The Chiefs got to the point after attempt, deflecting the ball, but Curt Duncan's kick was still able to wobble through. Cherokee clobbered Duncan in the process and was flagged for roughing the kicker despite having touched the ball. Cherokee's Coach Mike Sivert came on the field to argue the call and was flagged for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike call on top of the 15-yard rouging the kicker call.

West then kicked off from the Cherokee 30. The Trojans tried an onside kick, but the Chiefs recovered at their own 18. The now furious Chiefs crammed the ball down West's throat, driving the 82 yards to score on a four-yard run by Steward. Cherokee's extra point holder Brock Stroud got into position for the kick, but faked and pitched the ball to Chance Burke for what appeared to be a successful two-point conversion. However, the side-judge flagged the play, then picked up the flag and simply ruled Stroud's knee was down when he pitched the ball to Burke, leaving the score 45-27.

West picked off Cherokee on the Chiefs' next drive, setting up shop at the Cherokee 37. West then passed to McKinney again for a TD, going up 52-27. Cherokee answered by driving 80 yards in six plays for six more.

Hamilton hooked up with Matt Hale for a 72 yard gain to set up Burke's one-yard TD run. There was still 5:51 to play. At that point both teams began subbing freely.

For even more details, Coach Sivert's comments and photos see the next edition of the Review.

Morristown East 26, Cherokee 20

State's fifth ranked 4A team squeaks by Cherokee

ROGERSVILLE - A generous spot deep in its own territory and tipped ball caught for a 52-yard pick-up pulled Morristown East's fat out of the fire here Friday against Cherokee. The fifth rated 4A team in the state took advantage of the two breaks on a single drive in the second half, allowing the Hurricanes to flip the field position on the Chiefs to start the fourth quarter. East was then able to hold on to keep its record perfect on the season with a 26-20 win.

After Tyler Willis picked off a Hunter Hamilton pass at the Hurricanes two-yard line East found itself needing to get off its own goal line, clinging to an 19-13 lead. On first down Tavin Blanton picked up five yards on first down. Tee Howell, who came in having gone over 100 yards rushing in each of East's first three games, averaging more than 12 yards per carry, picked up four more yards on second down. Howell got the call again on third-and-one, but was met at the line of scrimmage, then spun down at the 10. However, it was ruled that his forward progress had not been to the original line of scrimmage at the 11 but instead all the way forward to beyond the 12. After a measurement the visiting Hurricanes were awarded a new set of downs.

On the next play East picked up seven yards, but was then flagged for a personal foul at the end of the play and marched back half the distance to the goal, setting up a second-and-13 from its own 10. Tyler Turner then took the next snap and looked into double coverage to Justin Sandifur beyond midfield. Cherokee's Coleman Elliott had a play on the ball, but only managed a tip. Showing tremendous concentration Sandifur pulled the ball in for a 52-yard pick-up all the way down to the Cherokee 38. While it wasn't a scoring play, nor did the catch come during a scoring drive, it proved to be the most crucial of the game.

Four plays later East decided to go for it on fourth-and-three from the Cherokee 31. Dee Dee Johnson took the handoff and rumbled down inside the Cherokee 10, but fumbled the ball at the end. Josh Steward recovered for the Chiefs at the eight-yard line.

Cherokee was unable to get out of the shadow of its own goal line and had to punt from its own seven, giving East excellent field position.

Turner called his own number on the next play and gained 13 yards to the 16. Howell took a direct snap for a three-yard gain, but it was East runningback Blanton that was effective against Cherokee, not Howell. Blanton carried for an 11 yard gain to the two. Blanton was stuffed on first down for no gain. East then was hit with a false start and moved back to the seven. Blanton gained a couple yards on second and goal. Howell was hit at the 15 on third and goal from the five, but somehow slipped a tackle and cut back across the field. The speedster then found another gear and made his best run of the night, gaining about 45 yards, most of east to west, on what went in the books as a five-yard TD run. After Nolan McDaniel's extra point the Hurricanes found themselves doubled up on Cherokee, 26-13.

The Chiefs, however, were playing inspired ball for Head Coach Mike Sivert, who lost his mother earlier in the day.

Cherokee answered with less than five minutes later with a 44-yard TD pass from Hamilton to Landon House.

Hamilton initially faked a hand-off to House, who then broke left and appeared to founder and be out of the play. Hamilton then took his time thanks to excellent protection and hit House in stride. DB Jeremy Jones was burned on the play, then went down with an injury on the pursuit, but House was off to the races.

Jordan Cruz split the uprights to bring Cherokee back to within six with 2:35 to play.

The Chiefs tried an onside kick and nearly got to the pigskin, but East recovered at its own 49.

Turner was able to pick up nine yards on first down by calling his own number. A three-yard run on the next snap gave East a crucial first down. Turner called his own number again with 40 seconds to play to gain the team's final first down, allowing East to run out the clock.

Cherokee drew first blood Friday. After stuffing East to negative three yards and a three-and-out on its first drive, the Chiefs marched 41 yards in nine plays down inside the Hurricane 10. Cruz came on and banged through a 25-yard field goal.

East then pieced together a 62-yard drive. On third-and-nine from the Cherokee 40 Turner hit a streaking Sandifur for a TD. The extra point missed wide left, but East was on top 6-3.

Cherokee immediately answered, driving 66 yards in eight plays. House, Elliott, Steward and Jon Linkous all picked up positive yardage out of the Cherokee backfield on the drive. Hamilton also connected with Matt Hale once and hit House for the 37-yard TD pass. Cruz' extra point gave Cherokee a 10-6 lead.

East then came out motivated and covered 51 yards in four plays. Blanton did most of the damage and scored on a 22-yard run. East gave the ball back to Blanton for the two-point conversion attempt but he was taken down about six inches short of the goal line, keeping the score 12-10.

East scored two possessions later to go up 19-10, with Johnson doing the honors on a 28-yard run on an option.

Cherokee, however, was able to make it a one score game before the half.

House and Steward each had one good run on the drive and Hamilton hooked up with Hale for an 11-yard gain and a 13-yard gain. They Chiefs had a first-and-10 from the Hurricanes 20, but threw three straight incompletions. One of those incompletions nearly went for an interception. The East DB got both feet inbounds and snagged the ball one-handed, but as he brought his second hand up to secure the ball he accidentally forced himself to bobble it. The ref was right on top of the play and ruled the 'Cane was juggling the ball, giving Cherokee a chance.

Cruz then came on and kicked a 37-yard field goal as time expired.

East's Howell, who has a visit to the University of Tennessee scheduled for Saturday during the Florida game, was limited to 15 carries for42 yards. He scored once and fumbled once. His teammate, Blanton, however, ran the ball just seven times but gained 43 yards, scoring a TD.

House for Cherokee had nine carries for 51 yards and three receptions for 91 yards and two TDs.

For more information about the game, photos and comments from Coach Sivert see the next midweek edition of the Review.

Cherokee 31, Sullivan Central 18

Chiefs Break Three-Game Losing Skid With 31-18 Win Over Central

by Wade Littleton

TriCitiesSports.com

September 26, 2008

ROGERSVILLE -- Cherokee wouldn't mind if the weather would be cold and damp more often.

The weather forecast did not stop Cherokee's multi-faceted offensive attack as the Chiefs blasted winless Sullivan Central 31-18 at Big Red Valley.

Cherokee ended a three-game losing streak with the victory.

The Chiefs had 199 yards rushing on 42 carries, including vaunted backs Coleman Elliott, Landon House and a cast of what seemed to be thousands.

Matt Hale was on the attack in many ways in this game, having seven catches for 122 yards and a 49-yard touchdown. He had one of the Chiefs' two first-quarter interceptions which set the tone for the game.

On the game's third play, Central quarterback Carl Roberts was picked off by Landon House. Senior Coleman Elliott capped an 11-play drive with a nine-yard touchdown. On the next series, Roberts was picked off by Hale. Chiefs' quarterback Hunter Hamilton called his own number for a five-yard run with 2:01 in the first quarter which made the Chiefs' lead 14-0.

"We had some good things to happen in the first half," Chiefs' coach Mike Sivert said. "Our offense big-played some things. We're happy to come out of here with a win."

Roberts, a senior, did what he could to keep the Cougars in the game as he scored with 11:22 left in the first half on a six-yard touchdown score. That was set up by a 55-yard pass to Matt Crowder. That would be as close as the Cougars could come.

Cherokee got that touchdown back as Landon House raced home from 12 yards out. Jordan Cruz's kick changed the score to 21-6. Cruz added a 24-yard field goal with four seconds remaining in the half for a 24-6 lead.

To start the second half, the Cougars took advantage of a Cherokee fumble to score again as Roberts ran in from three yards away. Central's defense stopped Cherokee's running attack in the quarter until a fourth and two from Cherokee's 42 yard line. The Chiefs' Brian Hake took a handoff from quarterback Hunter Hamilton and raced 58 yards for a game-clinching touchdown with 35 seconds left in the third. "We didn't play well coming off the blocks in the third," Sivert said. "Hake's run really helped us. Our kids played good. We're getting a little better and still working at it."

"We knew Central could play 48 minutes," Sivert said. "They have some good personnel, plenty of options with their offense."

Central's only big play came when Drew McLaughlin took a 65-yard pass from Roberts to the end zone with 2:56 left. By that time the outcome was a formality. McLaughlin led the Cougars with three receptions for 77 yards. He also led the Cougars with 77 yards on 16 carries.

Cherokee (2-3, 0-2 in region play) will return to Five Rivers Conference play next Friday against an improved David Crockett team. Crockett has caused problems for the Chiefs the last two years, taking Cherokee deep into the fourth quarter before the Chiefs could win. Central (0-5, 0-3 in region play), who had Daniel Boone on the ropes two games ago, could not muster enough offense to stymie the Chiefs, but fought to the last whistle. The Cougars will reenter Mountain Lakes Conference play next Friday against state-ranked South at Death Valley.

FROM THE SIDELINES: Cherokee played without offensive tackle Zach Morris who is recovering from tonsililitis surgery Thursday. He is a hopeful return for next Friday's game against David Crockett. Fullback-linebacker Kaleb Trent made his return from recent injuries and performed well for the Chiefs. Running backs Chance Burke and Josh Steward also performed admirably for the Chiefs. Next week will be Cherokee's homecoming with activities scheduled each day.

Cherokee 32, David Crockett 18

Cherokee Wears Down Crockett in Second Half, Takes 32-18 Win

by Wade Littleton

TriCitiesSports.com

October 3, 2008

ROGERSVILLE -- There were plenty of fireworks to go around Friday night at Big Red Valley. Both David Crockett and Cherokee's offenses combined for 50 points, but it was Cherokee's offense that provided the brightest sparks in the Chiefs' 32-18 homecoming victory.

As Crockett took an 18-12 lead into the halftime locker room, Cherokee was coming apart at the seams. The Chiefs came back together thanks to their vaunted running attack led by senior Coleman Elliott. Elliott was a battering ram to the Pioneer defense, rushing for 104 yards on 14 carries, including a 10-yard run with 3:39 left in the third quarter that put the Chiefs back up 24-18. Elliott also had the only conversion success of the night.

"We tried to get all the guys together," Elliott said after the game. "I tried to run hard for the team. We were fussing at the half."

"I felt like we were really challenged," Chiefs' boss Mike Sivert said. "We played a great second half by taking the ball and drive and had fun doing it."

The game started innocently enough for the Chiefs as their defense held the Pioneers to three downs. Josh Steward started perhaps his best game for the Chiefs by taking the ensuing punt and racing 52 yards for the first score with 5:51 left in the first quarter. On the next drive, Crockett sparkplug Chorpee Sumo single-handedly put the Pioneers in the end zone with a 1-yard run with just 45 seconds off the the second quarter clock. Sumo had 84 of the 93 yards in the drive. He started the game despite missing practice on Wednesday. Sumo was held to 10 yards the rest of the night by the Chiefs' defense.

The second quarter was one that Cherokee wanted to forget at quarterback Hunter Hamilton had two interceptions and a punt block, all which led to scores "Crockett took away what we wanted to do in the first half, "Sivert said. "A blocked punt is never good."

Crockett tied the game with 5:04 to go in the second quarter on a six-yard run by Michael Gillen after a four play drive deep in Cherokee territory. The Pioneers took the lead with 38 seconds left in the half on a Jamie Copas 30-yard touchdown pass from Gillen.

The Chiefs used the third quarter to wear down Crockett's defense, led by the Chief's' running attack by committee, namely Elliott, Kaleb Trent, Landon House and Steward. House scored on a six-yard run on the first possession of the second stanza to tie the game at 18. After Elliott's touchdown run, Steward tossed a 26-yard halfback pass to House who took it home to make it 32-18.

Cherokee played keep away from Crockett in the final quarter.

"We didn't quit, we got to pull together," Sivert said. "If we learned a lesson from the game it was not to give up and don't get down."

Crockett, who was held to 44 yards of second half offense, was hoping for more success from last week's victory over South Greene. Many of the Crockett players were wishing the Chiefs luck the rest of the way, a sign of sportsmanship learned from coach Kent Green and the Pioneer staff.

The Chiefs ran their record to 3-3, 1-2 in the Five Rivers Conference. Cherokee will play at newly-renovated Burley Stadium next Friday against defending Five Rivers Champion Greeneville. The Pioneers fell to 1-5, 0-3 in the Five Rivers, their playoff chances ever slipping away. They will continue their Hawkins County competition, hosting Volunteer Friday.

FROM THE SIDELINES -- There were plenty of homecoming activities during Friday's game. Ashley Shanks was crowned the 2008 Homecoming Queen at halftime. Princesses were Courtney Ward for the junior class, Brandi Webb from the sophomores and freshman princess Candie Eversol...Cherokee students raised a total of $645 for Shoes for Kids this week...Fireworks were used before, during and after the game by Dynamic Effects of Rogersville. The company has produced the fireworks show for the Rogersville Fourth of July Celebration, among others...A student on his way to the game was hit near Cherokee Friday night. Traffic at the school was blocked while Wings Air Rescue took the student to an area hospital. Traffic had to be rerouted out of Cherokee after the game. The student's identity or condition was not immediately known.

Greeneville 41, Cherokee 14

First-half defensive stops lead to Cherokee loss

GREENEVILLE ??” Greeneville??™s Jordan Greenway exposed what has been a suspect Cherokee secondary here Friday night, passing for nearly three hundred yards and five touchdowns en route to leading his club to a 41-14 win over the Chiefs on Homecoming in Burley Stadium.

The Devils scored on their opening possession, with Trevon Hall capping the drive with a three-yard TD run. Cherokee had helped the drive along with a 15-yard personal foul and B.J. Spradlin had ripped off a 32-yard run. Hall, however, did most of Greeneville??™s damage on the ground, rushing for 100 yards against a Cherokee defense that has been tough to run on in 2008.

The Chiefs saw three scoring opportunities go by the boards in the first half. On three separate occasions, at the Devil 20, 19 and 24 yard lines, the host team stuffed the Chiefs on fourth down with the score still 7-0.

That set the tone for the evening and gave Greeneville??™s offense a chance to get cranked up.

The Devils had struggled to move the ball after their initial drive, punting a couple of times and fumbling on their own 32.

After the third of the big defensive stands Hall moved the ball near midfield with a couple of carries, then Greenway dialed up Ryan Fillers for a 51-yard touchdown pass. Following a bad snap the Devils missed their point after, but led 13-0 in the second period.

The Chiefs denied Greeneville at the Cherokee one-yard line on fourth and goal a bit later in the half, but then saw Hunter Hamilton picked off by Spradlin at the nine-yard line. That interception proved to be a momentum killer as Greeneville stuck it in the end zone just prior to halftime when Greenway again hit Fillers in the end zone. Fillers was also the recipient of the two-point conversion pass that gave Greeneville a 21-0 lead at intermission.

The Devils kept the ball for much of the third period, putting together a couple of lengthy scoring drives. Greenway connected with Rob Wright on a 39-yard touchdown pass to cap the first drive. The second drive was ended with a 35-yard pass from Greenway to Zach Fillers. After a couple of extra point kicks by Ben Ogle the Devils were safely out front, 35-0.

Cherokee finally got on the scoreboard in the fourth period. Hamilton hit Landon House on a 50-yard touchdown strike. Jordan Cruz knocked through the point after to make it 35-7.

Greeneville immediately answered, scoring on a 49-yard pass from Greenway to Ryan Fillers. The Devils missed the point after.

The Chiefs tacked one more score on late to make things a little more respectable on the scoreboard. Josh Steward ran the ball in from 12 yards out and Cruz nailed the PAT.

Greeneville remains perfect in Five Rivers Conference play, improving to 5-2 overall and 4-0 in the league. Cherokee, meanwhile, finds itself in a tough spot, needing to win out to get back to playoffs after a two-year hiatus, sitting at 3-4 overall and 1-3 in the FRC.

The toughest remaining test on Cherokee??™s schedule comes this Friday when the Chiefs visit Daniel Boone (4-3, 2-2).

Boone had led Morristown West almost the entire way in Morristown Friday, only to see the Trojans rally for a 24-17 win in overtime.

Last season Cherokee won a controversial contest against the Trailblazers in Big Red Valley, making good on a two-point conversion in overtime on the final play of the game to pull out the come-from-behind win.

Cherokee 26, Daniel Boone 6

Cherokee Grounds Blazers, 26-6, Still Alive For Playoffs

TriCitiesSports.com

October 18, 2008

GRAY, Tenn. -- For Cherokee, one minute made all the difference Friday night.

Two Chiefs touchdowns in the final minute of the third quarter propelled Cherokee to a much needed 26-6 victory over home standing Daniel Boone.

The victory improved Cherokee's chances to return to the TSSAA playoffs for the first time since 2005.

The Chiefs saw a 13-point halftime lead cut to 13-6 when two of the season's biggest plays happened within that minute. First, running back Coleman Elliott broke a 50-yard touchdown run with 1:02 remaining to answer a Boone score by Jesse Collins. After Blazer quarterback Kevin Connell heaved three incomplete passes on the next drive, Cherokee put the game away on a 44-yard touchdown run by Brian Hake with six seconds left in the third.

Elliott had a game-high 146 yards rushing on 16 carries for the Chiefs (4-4, 2-3 Five Rivers Conference).

Cherokee used its ground game to keep the clock running and force the Trailblazers (4-4, 2-3 Five Rivers) to the passing game. The Blazers' Connell had four interceptions while Chiefs' signal caller Hunter Hamilton had one pick-off.

"We had a rough time, but we overcame it," Cherokee Coach Mike Sivert said after the game. "We had a lot of great running, and great team effort in blocking.

"Everywhere tonight, everyone stepped up. We're proud of our team," Sivert said.

Sivert had reason to be concerned early on when two Cherokee touchdowns were nullified by yellow handkerchefs. The Chiefs were penalized 115 yards on 15 calls. In fact, Sivert became agitated more than once during the second half when the penalties were stacking up. "The kids played hard and kept their mouths shut," he said.

Cherokee was consoled by a solid defensive effort, including five interceptions. Brock Stroud and Josh Steward both had two picks. Jon Linkous had the other interception for Cherokee.

"We got a lot of turnovers tonight," Sivert said.

Following a scoreless first quarter, Hamilton connected with Matt Hale on a 35-yard touchdown to open the Cherokee scoring with 11:49 remaining until halftime. The Chiefs' Linkous put the second score on the board with three minutes left in the half on a three-yard run.

Daniel Boone's team could have very well been suffering from Trojan Hangover after last week's loss at the hands of Morristown West. The Blazers led West by two touchdowns before losing in overtime.

"We took a big step backwards tonight," Boone coach Jeremy Jenkins said. "In our league, we can't no-show. We had the worst week of practice in the five years I've been here. We were extremely lucky that we were only down 13-0 at the half.

"We didn't play well at all in any phase of the game. The best way to regroup is to get back on the practice field," he said.

The Chiefs will qualify with victories over last-place Cocke County and archrival Volunteer in two weeks. If Cherokee and Boone finish tied for the fourth playoff spot from the Five Rivers, the Chiefs will own the tiebreaker with their Friday night win. Boone still needs to win one game and get some help to go back to the playoffs.

Boone quarterback Kevin Connell had 152 passing yards.

FROM THE SIDELINES: Daniel Boone will play its final two regular-season games on consecutive Thursday nights. The Musket Bowl game at David Crockett will be this Thursday night while the final game at Morristown East will be on Thursday, October 30...It will be Senior Night at Cherokee next week. Fifteen seniors will don the Red, White and Black for the final time at home Friday night. Senior defensive player Zach Schunn is out for the season after injuring his knee against David Crockett. Greeneville took a giant step toward the playoffs by dowing Morristown West in overtime while Morristown East defeated Volunteer. East will travel to Greeneville in a de-facto Five Rivers Championship Game next Friday.

Cherokee 40, Cocke Co. 8

Cherokee smashes Cocke County, only needs East to win Thursday to return to the postseason

Author: Mike Williams

Sports Editor

ROGERSVILLE - Cherokee took another step toward returning to the playoffs after a two-year hiatus here Friday night, blasting winless Cocke County 40-8 on a miserable night in the rain.

With the win over Cocke County, and Morristown West's win over Volunteer, the Chiefs can now sit back and relax and possibly have a playoff berth handed to them should Morristown East defeat Daniel Boone this coming Thursday.

If East defeats Boone, Cherokee can do no worse than a tie for fourth in the Five Rivers Conference with Boone and Volunteer, and that's if Volunteer upsets Cherokee on Halloween. The Chiefs would still be in the postseason as the four seed, even with a loss to the Falcons.

Volunteer, Cherokee and Daniel Boone would all sit at 3-4 in the conference so a second tie-breaker would have to be examined. None of the teams would have beaten each of the other two so overall records would then be examined. Cherokee and Boone would have better overall records than Volunteer so the Falcons would be eliminated from the three-way finish. That would then allow head-to-head tie-breakers to kick in again and Cherokee defeated Boone last week.

Still, if Boone upsets East Thursday Cherokee will need to win at Volunteer Friday.

Versus Cocke County Friday the Chiefs saw big play after big play make the difference in the game. Coleman Elliott, on Senior Night, matched a school record set in the early 90s by Shane Smith when he rumbled a shade over 99 yards for a touchdown. Brock Stroud had intercepted a Cocke County pass at the one-foot line. On the first play of the ensuing drive Hunter Hamilton handed the ball to Elliott, who sprinted out to the right sideline and set sail to the endzone.

Landon House returned a kickoff 76 yards for a touchdown. Hamilton hooked up with Matt Hale on a 58-yard pass play for a touchdown and Josh Steward had a pair of TDs, one on a one-yard carry the other on a 35-yard run.

For all the details and Coach Mike Sivert's comments about his seniors see the October 29 edition of the Review.

Cherokee 40, Volunteer 20

Cherokee Ends Losses to Volunteer, 40-20, Wins Battle of Hawkins County

by Jimmy Moore

TriCitiesSports.com

October 31, 2008

CHURCH HILL, Tenn. ??“ Volunteer??™s defense stopped Cherokee inches short of the goal line and a spot in the playoffs on the last play of the game last year in Rogersville. The Chiefs had to wait one year for the payback before a packed house on Volunteer??™s Senior Night.

The Falcons??™ (2-8, 2-5) gave Cherokee two early gifts and a 12-0 advantage when the ball sailed over punter Peden Templeton??™s head twice, putting the Chiefs in business at the Falcons??™ one-yard-line and the seven-yard-line.

But the home team battled back and made a game of it, trimming the visitors??™ lead to 26-20 early in the fourth quarter. A pair of Landon House touchdowns sealed the deal for the Chiefs, however, sending them into next week??™s playoffs with a 40-20 victory.

Cherokee (6-4, 4-3) already had clinched a playoff spot when Morristown East defeated Daniel Boone 28-7 Thursday night. The Chiefs will travel to Death Valley next week to face unbeaten Sullivan South (10-0). The Rebels defeated Tennessee High Friday night in the Stone Castle, 28-8, to capture the Mountain Lakes Conference title for the fourth-straight year.

The game was still in doubt late in the contest when Cherokee head coach Mike Sivert called the ??