McCallie-Ensworth II

Frustration is not about the child leaving it is the way he was taken. The family was approached, not the other way around Bostie while the kid was at a football camp and now Ensworth doesn't want the rules to be followed and have him sit out a year. They want him to play now, if MP will just sign a paper so they can get around the rules.

redtwin and kwoodroof 2+2 = 4 no matter what school you attend. I'm sure at ensworth they somehow come up with 5 for the answer and have a logical explanation for it.

If they didn't want him for football why do they keep begging for him to be released. Let him concentrate on his academics. nuff said.

No one on here is making any bones about the fact that the primary reason the young man attends Ensworth is because he's a good football player. That's the same reason people in Mt. P are upset that he left. That will also be the primary reason he attends college and for that reason he needs to one, be able to qualify and two, get the necessary exposure to get some great offers. Ensworth provides him a better opporuntity to do both. Being in Mt. Pleasant in no way benefits this young man. The only people in Mt. P who benefit from him being there are those too selfish to see what a great opportunity he has. If they don't want to release him that's fine but it looks like sour grapes to me. And trust me, I in no way benefit from him being on the field at EHS

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frustration is not about the child leaving it is the way he was taken. The family was approached, not the other way around Bostie while the kid was at a football camp and now Ensworth doesn't want the rules to be followed and have him sit out a year. They want him to play now, if MP will just sign a paper so they can get around the rules.

redtwin and kwoodroof 2+2 = 4 no matter what school you attend. I'm sure at ensworth they somehow come up with 5 for the answer and have a logical explanation for it.

If they didn't want him for football why do they keep begging for him to be released. Let him concentrate on his academics. nuff said.

Maybe Ensworth is begging to have the kid released because it is the right thing. Ensworth, to our knowledge, has broken no rules. This is a free market. Why can't the kid pursue whatever opportunity his family perceives to be in his best interest. I would also add that Ensworth is 10-0. The kid hasn't played one down. I can assure you that the program will thrive and prosper with or without him. Releasing the kid is the right thing. Finally, the principals heroic stand is short lived. The kid (all 6 ft 7 300+ pounds of him )will be bigger, better, stronger, and more knowledgeable when he does hit the field next year. Enjoy watching him suffer now, because you will see him for the next 2 years!

Are athletes required to pass academic admission tests before being admitted? Are they required to do the same level coursework? Does EHS provide tutors for their student/athletes?

One last question>>>Rumor has it that EHS semester exams are not until March to make sure there are no eligibility problems for football/basketball players

They were!! It fell through though. Their heavy hitters didn't get the job done like they had wanted. Even Tim McGraw and Faith Hill couldn't get Antonio Richardson released. Recruiting is wrong. Ensworth wants to win a state championship but so does Mt. Pleasant. With Antonio MP would have been a lot closer, same as Ensworth. You should have left him where he was! Butt heads.

Here we go again. This kid's life was ripped open a month or so ago on this site. stink it up, shut up, get on with it. He's happy at school, the other kids like him. And I presum he's getting a darn good educatiuon, just as he wood at Mt. Pleasant, no doubt. Move along mTptiger.

Having read so many comments about recruiting on this site, it appears pretty clear that some writers seem to think any communication or contact from a coach is illegal. It is not. The TSSAA Handbook talks about "undue influence". A coach telling your kid that they are good, and he (or she) would love to have the kid play at his/her school is natural. AND undertand, please, that these private schools must advertise, have open houses, and football camps, etc. to get the word our about their school. They have no automatic geographical area to draw from, as do public schools. So, in a way, they recruit all the time. The question is . . . is it undue influence. What do you expect a football coach to do, when he sees a big kid at his camp, who is strong, and can run fast? Say, "Gee I'd love to have that kid come here, I bet he can do Calculus in his head! I can tell from how he calls for the ball that he'd be a great debater." No, a football coach sees a football player. Then, if the kid and parents have an interest, the academic stuff comes in, and -yes- sometimes tests are given before admission. I am so tired of naievety (I don't know if I spelled that right), and self rightousness of some people here when they talk about recruiting. Invariably, it has nothing to do with whther the school is right for the kid, whether the kid is happy, accepted and learning. It's all about "We lost our player." Talk about selfish! Is someone putting a hammerlock on these kids and their parents forcing them to go to schools like Ensworth? No, they do it because they see an opportunity.

If I am not mistaken, the title of this section is McCallie vs. Ensworth. I, for one, would appreciate you all taking this other stuff elsewhere.

Now, anybody want to discuss the game?

Thank you. I am one of the offenders, and you are right.

As to the game. It has to do with big plays for EHS in the running game. They are depleted through injury, and McCallie was able to move the ball on the Ensworth defense better than any team, except MBA. Another one of those games where turnovers could be big. If Ensworth can hang on to the ball (as they have done pretty well all year), they should win by a couple of scores. Kicking game could be big ,too, and Ensworth is still trying to get that to click . . . it's an adventure out there, and they have often gone for two point conversions because of it. EHS has enough speed in the defensive backfield that I'd be surpised if McCallie can throw consistently.

If I am not mistaken, the title of this section is McCallie vs. Ensworth. I, for one, would appreciate you all taking this other stuff elsewhere.

Now, anybody want to discuss the game?

You have a point, but every time fans of independent school teams discuss games, the recruiting issue comes up. To let it pass is essentially to give in to the baseless slander. I have no idea of your allegiance, but if you're an IS fan, you know what I'm talking about. BTW, I'm a big fan of sarcasm too, and like to think I'm one of the truly accomplished masters. It's considered polite not to hit people with it unless they've attacked you.

EHSparent is hardly an offender in this; his posts are always good and topical. Last yearhe was one of the few EHS backers with good perspective (i.e., no trash talk).

As to the game, it's very hard to beat a good team twice. Ensworth seems to have a better team, altho I saw Ensworth against MBA, and McCallie against MBA. Ensworth probably played the very best game they have in them that night. McCallie looks ot have some talent, although I'm not sure how much they showed. not that they "tanked" a game, but they didn't show much after the game was settled. I think they're better than they showed, but I expect Ensworth will take it.

Are athletes required to pass academic admission tests before being admitted? Are they required to do the same level coursework? Does EHS provide tutors for their student/athletes?

One last question>>>Rumor has it that EHS semester exams are not until March to make sure there are no eligibility problems for football/basketball players

I know we are all on a football board and the topics pretaining to each school seem like a huge deal but remember it is highschool, and Ensworth is a private school which competes foremost in academics with the other schools. Ensworth did not obtain its reputation by bending the curriculum so some athletes could play ball. You shouldnt listen to "they" quite as much. That is not true at all. Ensworth's course outline for the sciences is a trimester. Its split into three instead of four. Bio Chem and Physics are covered in their individual third of the trimester. Having exams in march is more conducive to the trimester.

This is the conflict. I believe 2 + 2 at Mt. P = 3.

Why is it that Mt. P. has produced some great football players who have not been capable of taking advantage of potential scholarship offers due to their extremely poor test scores. They had a few in the past - yes, this is the truth - that were unable to play a high level of collegiate ball because their test scores were atrocious. I will not mention these boys' names for obvious reasons - but it is what it is. If you are a parent of a student-athlete who undoubtedly has the ability to play at the next level and you see this happening at the high school were your child is scheduled to go - do you keep him there or do you explore other options?

Now, let common sense consume your thoughts.

So . . . Mt. P. folks have no response to my post. They obviously know it's true - or, they don't understand it I guess.

You have a point, but every time fans of independent school teams discuss games, the recruiting issue comes up. To let it pass is essentially to give in to the baseless slander. I have no idea of your allegiance, but if you're an IS fan, you know what I'm talking about. BTW, I'm a big fan of sarcasm too, and like to think I'm one of the truly accomplished masters. It's considered polite not to hit people with it unless they've attacked you.

EHSparent is hardly an offender in this; his posts are always good and topical. Last yearhe was one of the few EHS backers with good perspective (i.e., no trash talk).

As to the game, it's very hard to beat a good team twice. Ensworth seems to have a better team, altho I saw Ensworth against MBA, and McCallie against MBA. Ensworth probably played the very best game they have in them that night. McCallie looks ot have some talent, although I'm not sure how much they showed. not that they "tanked" a game, but they didn't show much after the game was settled. I think they're better than they showed, but I expect Ensworth will take it.

They could have played with MBA, but when you don't use your bull in the back field you become as if your calling the plays on the opp.side line . If Skogan has 16 to 20 carries make the def. play tight, than they can run around the corner, and throw the ball. The head coach of Mccallie has an off. genuis on his side line in Mr.Skogan if he will ask for the help they can win this game. The play calling at MBA my 12 year old son could have done better. Only thing I can I can come up with is maybe this is the route there trying to take to the gold ball. Good Luck.

Checking out the maps and have a quick question for the Nashville folks. I really hate the West End area traffic. Would cutting over the I65 on the 840 bypass and coming in Old Hickory Blvd be a better alternative?

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to a great game and seeing you this pm! For those who might miss me, I'll be in blue!