CPA vs. Hickman County (round 1)

football1011

Really bland, ineffective, and non-creative coaching is all I saw. CPA was the far superior team and would win 10 out of 10 times. CPA will roll to the state championship game, mark my words.

Truer words have never been spoken. Wow CPA destroyed Hick County. Hmmmm... I wonder which team was outcoaching the other? Next Lions Victim: Fairview

CPA: 49

Fairview: 7

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great game CPA....no excuses can be made, you guys were certainly the better team on Friday night....your passing game was all that it was made out to be and the D was awfully good as well....wish we could have been a little more competitive on the field....no doubt though, our kids played hard from whistle to whistle and they have no reason to hang their heads....I think Coach Patterson did a very good job in his first year as head coach going 8-2 in the regular season with both losses coming to two fine teams.....CPA is very good....don't know if they can run the table but may go pretty deep in the playoffs....Good luck the rest of the year

great game CPA....no excuses can be made, you guys were certainly the better team on Friday night....your passing game was all that it was made out to be and the D was awfully good as well....wish we could have been a little more competitive on the field....no doubt though, our kids played hard from whistle to whistle and they have no reason to hang their heads....I think Coach Patterson did a very good job in his first year as head coach going 8-2 in the regular season with both losses coming to two fine teams.....CPA is very good....don't know if they can run the table but may go pretty deep in the playoffs....Good luck the rest of the year

CONGRADULATIONS CPA!

Sorry if I upset you CPA4Ever. I've watched the CPA program for over a decade now. IMO, the team has not played up to its talent level for the last several years.

I offer the following observations derived from watching films as examples;

The limited success of the running game has been due in part to ineffective blocking by the backs. In the past two seasons, lead blocking backs literally used screening or stalk blocking techniques to isolate on linebackers.

For several seasons, an inordinate amount of tackles were missed because of a team habit of ducking their heads. (It was a problem again tonite).

The running backs have been slow to hit the hole, often fail to follow their blocks, often make less yardage than the line surge and fumble excessively.

I'm not saying CPA is not a good team. I'm not saying that they cannot improve to compete in the next four rounds.

I am saying that it appears the program is more focused on finesse than football fundamentals. I am saying that the program no longer dominates is opponents as in the late 90's and early 2000's. I am saying the Matt610 is being optimistic when he states that CPA will roll to the state championship. IMO, they're not there yet. But it is only my opinion.

I don't disagree with some of your assessments. I totally agree with the lack of proper tackling techniques, at times. But that is in some degree a result of undersized, young players who have to play because of our low numbers, who just aren't experienced or strong enough to lay a runner out. We rely on team speed and gang tackling.

If you really take a hard look at our lineup and who's on the field, it is amazing how much the coaches get from the numbers and size we have. Other than Z Mason, we are typically smaller and lighter than most teams we play. It will be the same against Fairview.

You say: "I am saying that it appears the program is more focused on finesse than football fundamentals." Football fundamentals involve finesse. When you don't have big guys that can lay out a solid back, you teach your small quick guys to swarm the ball, stretch the runner, etc. Our coaches know how to coach to their strengths and weaknesses.

As far as the late 90's and early 2000's, that was playing against 1A competition. Those teams were more like our size, so we would have looked tougher against them.

At the first of the year, I predicted based on what I knew we had coming back and watching pre-season practices, that we would win 6 games (thought we would lose to either Stratford or GP, but we won both). We won 7.

I thought we might win one playoff game. Two playoff wins would have been a stretch prediction.

We have progressed beyond my expectations which is a real credit to the coaches and some young players who have stepped up. I'm glad I was wrong. Hope I am wrong all the way to the 'boro.

I agree with you totally CPA4Ever. This seems like a team of destiny. The improvement over the past 4 weeks has been amazing. They are flying after the ball and having FUN.

I had to register just to be able to post because of the excitement this team is bringing.

This team has a chance to make it to the "Boro".

Only time will tell if they can continue the confident improvement. It is the most explosive offense I have ever seen.

Thanks for taking the time to post after the game. Still waiting for ddaddy (the "football expert") to give his take on the game.

HC played hard, have some really good backs (especially #2), and have nothing to be ashamed of because they never quit on the field. Disagreed with winning the toss and deferring. You should have taken the ball and tried to get a lead. Also, the pass defense scheme (basically tight man-to-man) was a mistake. Against CPA, you don't load up against the run, you defend the pass.

Seemed like you had a very large group of seniors, though. You may need to reload to come back next year.

Hope you were treated well off the field at the Lions Den. Your crowd was good and loud.

Thanks for taking the time to post after the game. Still waiting for ddaddy (the "football expert") to give his take on the game.

HC played hard, have some really good backs (especially #2), and have nothing to be ashamed of because they never quit on the field. Disagreed with winning the toss and deferring. You should have taken the ball and tried to get a lead. Also, the pass defense scheme (basically tight man-to-man) was a mistake. Against CPA, you don't load up against the run, you defend the pass.

Seemed like you had a very large group of seniors, though. You may need to reload to come back next year.

Hope you were treated well off the field at the Lions Den. Your crowd was good and loud.

thanks....no argument here......

I don't disagree with some of your assessments. I totally agree with the lack of proper tackling techniques, at times. But that is in some degree a result of undersized, young players who have to play because of our low numbers, who just aren't experienced or strong enough to lay a runner out. We rely on team speed and gang tackling.

If you really take a hard look at our lineup and who's on the field, it is amazing how much the coaches get from the numbers and size we have. Other than Z Mason, we are typically smaller and lighter than most teams we play. It will be the same against Fairview.

You say: "I am saying that it appears the program is more focused on finesse than football fundamentals." Football fundamentals involve finesse. When you don't have big guys that can lay out a solid back, you teach your small quick guys to swarm the ball, stretch the runner, etc. Our coaches know how to coach to their strengths and weaknesses.

As far as the late 90's and early 2000's, that was playing against 1A competition. Those teams were more like our size, so we would have looked tougher against them.

At the first of the year, I predicted based on what I knew we had coming back and watching pre-season practices, that we would win 6 games (thought we would lose to either Stratford or GP, but we won both). We won 7.

I thought we might win one playoff game. Two playoff wins would have been a stretch prediction.

We have progressed beyond my expectations which is a real credit to the coaches and some young players who have stepped up. I'm glad I was wrong. Hope I am wrong all the way to the 'boro.

I agree this team has improved greatly and if they continue to improve, a trip to the 'boro is entirely possible. As far as the late 90's and early 2000's, those teams played and dominated DCA, FRA, Ezell, Boyd B., USJ, BGA, and Goodpasture. Those are all 2A teams and above. The 2002 CPA State Champ team was no better in talent, and probably was not as good talent wise, as this year's CPA team. But they were dominate. They were what most people would call a hard nosed football team.

As to techniques and finesse, it is virtually impossible to move a linebacker out of a hole with a screen block.

I guess my main point is that the program has had and continues to have good talent for a 2A school but under performs. Last year you had the good qb, a large offensive line, an outstanding wide receiver, an outstanding defensive tackle and good size and speed all around. But the team was barely over 500, lost all of its close games and went out in the first round. That's not the legacy this program inherited.

Right now there are several local programs that seem to be struggling. All of the Region 5 schools, with the exception of Goodpasture, seem to be down in number of players and fan support. Ezell, East Robertson, DCA and FRA are of special concern although I suspect FRA is due for a turnaround. Just a short five years ago their stadiums were filled to overflowing and the side lines were choked with young players. But now a Friday nite experience in their arena is but a shadow of its former self.

For the sake of future generations of players and old codgers like me that love high school football, I hope this CPA team is a rebirth of the program's past. (I hope the same for Ezell, ER, DCA & FRA). But, IMO, that is unlikely to happen unless the coaches, fans and supporters recognize that the program has deteriorated over the last several years and take steps to rectify the same.

Good luck to you and your team for the balance of the season.

Good game CPA! I wasn't surprise with the victory, just the margin of the win. I think by getting on HC early the seed of doubt was placed. No doubt CPA will be hard for anyone to handle. Thanks for the compliment CPA4ever; ???football expert??? kind of got a ring to it. Maybe you are starting to look over the top of those glasses you wear (just kidding, don??™t get upset). Good luck this week with Fairview!

Good game CPA! I wasn't surprise with the victory, just the margin of the win. I think by getting on HC early the seed of doubt was placed. No doubt CPA will be hard for anyone to handle. Thanks for the compliment CPA4ever; ???football expert??? kind of got a ring to it. Maybe you are starting to look over the top of those glasses you wear (just kidding, don??™t get upset). Good luck this week with Fairview!

Classy, dd