Where will Lunsford be Next year

tunesquad

I don't think I much like the tone of your reply. Most high schools are interested in Coaches who get the wins on Friday nights reguardless of the methods they use and in my opinion Mike Lunsford is a very successful coach. From what my sources have told me just today, not only is Unicoi interested in Coach Lunsford but serveral high schools in North Carolina are interested in him also. I have also heard from parents at Unaka who would love for Lunsford to take over their football program. I also heard that lots of parents are very interested in his son returning to Cloudland. Coach Lunsford teaches Physical Education and Health and Wellness at Hampton High School.

I'm not really sure I like your tone. (but that is not of much importance). I was just stating the fact he had applied for the job there and didn't get it. I'm not sure what information you are subject to but just because a parent says it would be nice for him to coach at a certain school doesn't mean the school or the administration is really interested in him being there. With that said I never mentioned that Coach Lunsford wasn't successful. His record speaks for itself. I was talking about his method of coaching. Everyone has their own way and it must fit within the program itself to be very successful. That was the case at Cloudland. That wasn't the case at Avery Co. Each Administration, School, etc. has their won idea of how a program should be run. Some have a lot of hands on others don't. And if you don't think that teaching today ways a lot more on the decision of hiring a coach, no matter how successful he is on Friday night then you are not in touch with todays education system. Ir has been mentioned before on his demands on the players, his methods of getting that message across and I will again state it wouldn't work at some schools. I know you have a high opinion of Coach Lunsford and that is great. I do think he has done a great job also. I'm just looking at it from an outside view. And again that is only my take on the situation.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We aint settling' and Big Luns and Little Luns will be with us next year. They are my coach's and I respect em'.

Thats the way it should be,It just blows my mind how some people want to ruin something thats good for the whole community just because their kid gets yelled at a little or their feelings get hurt. The same thing happened at Cloudland,some parents just think their kid should be babied and not taught some discipline and respect for their coaches.I know the cursing sounds bad but Its not like the kids haven't heard worse at school or at home.It might sound like a bad thing but I think they will know the reason why some coaches are hard on them when they are out in the real world trying to survive on their own.

I'm not really sure I like your tone. (but that is not of much importance). I was just stating the fact he had applied for the job there and didn't get it. I'm not sure what information you are subject to but just because a parent says it would be nice for him to coach at a certain school doesn't mean the school or the administration is really interested in him being there. With that said I never mentioned that Coach Lunsford wasn't successful. His record speaks for itself. I was talking about his method of coaching. Everyone has their own way and it must fit within the program itself to be very successful. That was the case at Cloudland. That wasn't the case at Avery Co. Each Administration, School, etc. has their won idea of how a program should be run. Some have a lot of hands on others don't. And if you don't think that teaching today ways a lot more on the decision of hiring a coach, no matter how successful he is on Friday night then you are not in touch with todays education system. Ir has been mentioned before on his demands on the players, his methods of getting that message across and I will again state it wouldn't work at some schools. I know you have a high opinion of Coach Lunsford and that is great. I do think he has done a great job also. I'm just looking at it from an outside view. And again that is only my take on the situation.

This would not even be up if not for 3 or 4 unhappy parents at Hampton High School, who think their children should be the "stars" of the football team. They think it is their childrens birth right because they "the mighty parents" went to school there and no matter who may be better than their children they will whine and complain to the school board until they get their way.

If you think parents do not have power over the coaches in this day and time at some of these county schools then you are out of touch. Yes I do think teaching is a factor of hiring a coach...so what is your point? Coach Lunsford is a teacher correct?

My final thoughts on this subject: It is a shame that one man has worked so hard and given no credit for his accomplishments at Hampton High School. A shame that some one else wants the credit for what this man has worked hard to do....which is building a young team back up. I hear he has a great group coming up next year.

They liked him real well at Avery, I'm from Avery Co and I've talked to ALOT of people who wants him back over there. They are at an all time low and until they get a Coach with his kind of Fire, its apt to stay that way. Avery should be a strong team year after year,these kids are just not phyically and mentally tough. I bet they didn't come close to starting the same 11 all year long. Hampton didn't seem to get too many hurt this year,Cloudland was the same way, They awnsered the bell every week.

This would not even be up if not for 3 or 4 unhappy parents at Hampton High School, who think their children should be the "stars" of the football team. They think it is their childrens birth right because they "the mighty parents" went to school there and no matter who may be better than their children they will whine and complain to the school board until they get their way.

If you think parents do not have power over the coaches in this day and time at some of these county schools then you are out of touch. Yes I do think teaching is a factor of hiring a coach...so what is your point? Coach Lunsford is a teacher correct?

My final thoughts on this subject: It is a shame that one man has worked so hard and given no credit for his accomplishments at Hampton High School. A shame that some one else wants the credit for what this man has worked hard to do....which is building a young team back up. I hear he has a great group coming up next year.

I'm not exactly sure where you reply is going. This thread was about where Coach Lunsford might be next year. In my earlier post I stated that other systems, not Carter County, placed a lot of priority on hiring in other areas, not just in the coaching abilities. Yes, Coach Lunsford is a teacher and you said in the field of PE and Wellness. There would have to be an opening in that area in that system. People used to be able to obtain waviers to teach in any area but now not only do they have to have certification but most schools require you to be highly qualified. Remember the Coach Ensor situation at Daniel Boone. Probably couldn't find a better basketball coach but didn't get the job because of his certification. If you have a gripe with Carter County then step in line. Carter County is different from most systems. They have been behind the times for a long period of time and probably will continue to be. As for Avery, Pujo, like I said before, sure some parents want somethings but unless it fits the people that does the hiring and firing then the possibility of it happening is slim. Do not take these post wrong. I am not against Coach Lunsford. I was just stating what is occuring in other systems with the hiring of new coaches.

I'm not exactly sure where you reply is going. This thread was about where Coach Lunsford might be next year. In my earlier post I stated that other systems, not Carter County, placed a lot of priority on hiring in other areas, not just in the coaching abilities. Yes, Coach Lunsford is a teacher and you said in the field of PE and Wellness. There would have to be an opening in that area in that system. People used to be able to obtain waviers to teach in any area but now not only do they have to have certification but most schools require you to be highly qualified. Remember the Coach Ensor situation at Daniel Boone. Probably couldn't find a better basketball coach but didn't get the job because of his certification. If you have a gripe with Carter County then step in line. Carter County is different from most systems. They have been behind the times for a long period of time and probably will continue to be. As for Avery, Pujo, like I said before, sure some parents want somethings but unless it fits the people that does the hiring and firing then the possibility of it happening is slim. Do not take these post wrong. I am not against Coach Lunsford. I was just stating what is occuring in other systems with the hiring of new coaches.

My guess is Avery Co will be the next job. The adminastration is on his side ,alot of people wants him ,and its just alot better job. It will take a ton of work to cure Avery's problems ,but Mike is willing to go the extra mile to see that they have success. Born and raised over there. Likes the people and talent is not the problem. I also agree that Carter Co is behind in alot of ways. Just not alot to offer at these little small schools.

One thing is for sure, if Mike goes back to Avery, they will be a winner the very year he starts at the controls. THis man knows how to get the talent out. I remember one year at Cloudland back in 96, he got a boy out and this boy only played one year and was All-State as a senior. This was the only year he played. Mike got this kid to come out. Pujo knows who I'm talking about.

One thing is for sure, if Mike goes back to Avery, they will be a winner the very year he starts at the controls. THis man knows how to get the talent out. I remember one year at Cloudland back in 96, he got a boy out and this boy only played one year and was All-State as a senior. This was the only year he played. Mike got this kid to come out. Pujo knows who I'm talking about.

Yeah I know exactly who you're talking about. I'm sure Avery has tons of talent walking the hallways. If Mike is in charge ,there will be no politics. The first thing he would have to do is instill some toughness . Its the walking wounded every week. I'm not sure he will even be offered the job, but I do think it would be their best move.

You are right: this thread is about where Coach Lunsford will be next year. No matter where he is I wish him the best in what ever he decides to do.

My guess is Avery Co will be the next job. The adminastration is on his side ,alot of people wants him ,and its just alot better job. It will take a ton of work to cure Avery's problems ,but Mike is willing to go the extra mile to see that they have success. Born and raised over there. Likes the people and talent is not the problem. I also agree that Carter Co is behind in alot of ways. Just not alot to offer at these little small schools.

I was told the coach of Avery County resigned and they want Coach Lunsford. I guess we will have to wait now and see what Coach Lunsford decides. You know Pujo that was one of the things I like most about your brother, he is always willing to go the extra mile for any kid.

I was told the coach of Avery County resigned and they want Coach Lunsford. I guess we will have to wait now and see what Coach Lunsford decides. You know Pujo that was one of the things I like most about your brother, he is always willing to go the extra mile for any kid.

Alot of people has told me the same thing. He also knows there are some things more important than football. What would have been one of Hampton's best lineman took on a bigger responcability. Mike knew what the kid was doing was much more important , even though he knew Hampton would be a better team ,he encouraged the kid to do what he needed to do . Ultimately ,Its really about the kids.

I've not heard anything about Avery's head Coach resigning. He and Mike are very close friends. He may and may not resign. I'm not even sure if Avery is thinking about hiring someone else. I just hope Mike continues to Coach somewhere, he still has the passion,desire and knowledge to make someone a winner.