DII Mr. Football Finalists

ehstiger09

Well then I'll just have to go over there and fuss at them, won't I? I'm really not all into the stats (but I do check them on occasion), as my son plays a position that isn't given to statistics...he just makes it possible for many of the others to @@@@ them up.

Sigh...didn't realize I'd typed a forbidden word. Honestly, men.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Let me rephrase -- he just makes it possible for many of the others to figure prominently in the records.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen the MUS quarterback play so I reserve saying that one athlete is better than the other. Tavarres is one of the most athletic people i have known and i think it would be hard for Brunetti to surpass him but he may. I think that there is something else that should be taken into consideration for the winner. Heart. I played multiple sports with Tavarres and in my 14 years of athletics i have never met someone more competitive than he is. Last year when he broke his shoulder very early in the MBA game he still shouldered the load. It meant so much to him that we win that game not because of any distain for MBA (because he didnt go to school with lots of those guys or grow up in that area to understand how far back the tensions run) but he kept playing because he didnt want to quit on his team. During halftime he had to lie and say he was ok even though he knew he was not and he knew if he kept playing he may not play basketball that year. THAT WAS HIS JR YEAR and he cared that much for his teammates. He played the entire rest of the game with a broken shoulder and he still ran hard and put his head down.

THat is tough and that is the leadership what the winner should be indicative of. I know that was last year but even this year he played on that sprained ankle. I have graduated and was not there but i can tell you that there was never a question in his mind whether he would play or not. I have seen so many instances of his incredible toughness and commitment to his team in other sports also. He never stops moving or trying his hardest on the basketball court either.

I dont know who the better player is but i do think that the people who determine the winner need to know these things about T. There is nobody i would rather have on my team in this state than T. Coach Bowers used to say sometimes that "so and so" would be someone who he would want on his side in a fight. If i was faced with a fight a basketball game a football game or any other situation where heart and toughness shines through then i would pick Tavarres Jefferson.

Good luck to whoever wins.

The glaring error is the omission of MUS' Walt Wepfer from the punter's list. Walt has been the #1 punter in DII-AA since the first game, now his name is not on there anywhere. He had three punts in the MBA game, all of which were good punts given the weather conditions. That's what led me to think that the omission was a mistake. And no, I don't know which Memphis-based school owns the site...care to enlighten me? If it's MUS, I'm sure they'll fix that mistake right away.

It appears as if it is correct now.

I have not seen the MUS quarterback play so I reserve saying that one athlete is better than the other. Tavarres is one of the most athletic people i have known and i think it would be hard for Brunetti to surpass him but he may. I think that there is something else that should be taken into consideration for the winner. Heart. I played multiple sports with Tavarres and in my 14 years of athletics i have never met someone more competitive than he is. Last year when he broke his shoulder very early in the MBA game he still shouldered the load. It meant so much to him that we win that game not because of any distain for MBA (because he didnt go to school with lots of those guys or grow up in that area to understand how far back the tensions run) but he kept playing because he didnt want to quit on his team. During halftime he had to lie and say he was ok even though he knew he was not and he knew if he kept playing he may not play basketball that year. THAT WAS HIS JR YEAR and he cared that much for his teammates. He played the entire rest of the game with a broken shoulder and he still ran hard and put his head down.

THat is tough and that is the leadership what the winner should be indicative of. I know that was last year but even this year he played on that sprained ankle. I have graduated and was not there but i can tell you that there was never a question in his mind whether he would play or not. I have seen so many instances of his incredible toughness and commitment to his team in other sports also. He never stops moving or trying his hardest on the basketball court either.

I dont know who the better player is but i do think that the people who determine the winner need to know these things about T. There is nobody i would rather have on my team in this state than T. Coach Bowers used to say sometimes that "so and so" would be someone who he would want on his side in a fight. If i was faced with a fight a basketball game a football game or any other situation where heart and toughness shines through then i would pick Tavarres Jefferson.

I had the priviledge of watching Jefferson play for the 1st time against BA. A friend of mine coaches at Ensworth and has been telling me about him for the past couple of years. I will say that he is one heck of an athlete and like moose mentioned in his post my friend says the same thing about Jefferson's heart. I watched him on that ankle nearly come back and beat a very good BA team only to fall inches short on a potential game winning drive. Does this mean he's Mr.Football? I have no idea but if he doesn't win it then the person who does is a special talent. Best of luck to all the nominees and I hope they all have successful athletic careers.

Does anybody actually know what is the criteria by which the winner is chosen? After reading all these posts, my head is spinning. Is Mr. Football the best athlete? the most talented? the toughest? the one who totals the most yards offense or throws the fewest interceptions? the best college prospect? the biggest hearted? the best leader? Apparently, postseason play is NOT included. Do you get tossed from the jury if you are prejudiced by it? Should Jefferson get extra credit for playing injured??? Much of this is very subjective. Maybe we should just put all three in a cage and let the last man standing win.

Does anybody actually know what is the criteria by which the winner is chosen? After reading all these posts, my head is spinning. Is Mr. Football the best athlete? the most talented? the toughest? the one who totals the most yards offense or throws the fewest interceptions? the best college prospect? the biggest hearted? the best leader? Apparently, postseason play is NOT included. Do you get tossed from the jury if you are prejudiced by it? Should Jefferson get extra credit for playing injured??? Much of this is very subjective. Maybe we should just put all three in a cage and let the last man standing win.

I have only watched Jefferson in person once and that was against BA but I saw him on TV a couple of times this year. Against BA he was the best FOOTBALL player on the field that night and the games I watched on TV he was as well except for maybe the MBA game wheN his teammate Darkwa may well have been and he's not even up for the award. I'm sure Jefferson was the best Football player on the field most nights when Ensworth played. Hurt, being the best athlete or whatever you call it but this kid is a football player.

I agree. Anyone have a list of 2-time Mr Football winners?

The 4tds are great but 12 of 27 for 200 yds is not overly impressive. I still think it's a close call between he and Jefferson.

Ingle Martin was a two time winner @ MBA. I believe Golden Tate won 2 @ JP2. I can't remember if any lineman have won twice