Unicoi new coach?

Tennfootball1

At least Coach Huskins will be familiar with the program and the returning players so he can hit the ground running. They should schedule Unaka and one of the Greene Co. schools to replace Tn Hi and South. Hopefully the reclassification will help them build a winning program under new leadership. Good luck Blue Devils. Will miss the visits to Erwin.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Coach Huskins!!!!! wish you the best of luck. cant wait to get to see you and sit and talk football. you have a tough job ahead of you, but i know you will do well. welcome to the club as a head coach. you have no idea whats ahead. anytime you need something or just want to ask a question call.

your former Teammate, Colleague, and most of all Friend

Coach Shelton

I don't post as frequently as I used to, but I just can't contain it any longer:

The best hire they could have made. Period. Head Coach Jared Huskins has collegiate playing experience and many quality years of coaching football in several schemes. He is passionate and dedicated and-- more importantly-- he will demand respect from ALL those associated to the program. I've been around a long time and I've seen just one other coach with this same combination of fire, knowledge, and accountability. At that time, he was a risky hire due to no experience as a head coach and a homegrown product. That man is now captaining one of the best basketball programs in East Tennessee. My hats off to the 'powers' who had the foresight (again) to hire the right man for our children, program, and community.

Any word on the rest of the staff? Or- as someone pointed out earlier- the middle school situation (coaches, conference, etc.)?

I am personally upset that UCHS did not go with Glen White to head up their failing program. There is no one that loves, respects, and knows what it takes to succeed at Unicoi Co. any more than Coach White. Best of luck to the new man, but the blue devils have missed the mark this time.

Having a son that will be playing High School ball at Unicoi in five years I am personally upset with this decision, and would have to agree with the comment above. I have nothing against Coach Huskins personally and think he was an alright assistant , but in no way does he even compare to Coach White. I think with this program its gonna take someone with the maximum experience and knowledge about the sport, who has actually proven themselves, to turn the Devils around. Huskins has no where near the experience needed to do what needs to be done the only position he has ever held is an assistant at Unicoi.Possibly if the program was built, winning games , and White wasnt a canadate Huskins would be the next best thing. White from what i hear has won awards for his coaching abilities and has years of experience not only with the Devils but with other teams as well. Like said above the Tennessee High game when White was in charge , his amazing ability to lead a team and turn it around was evident to everyone in the stands that night , and was the talk of the town for weeks.... and that was just in one game imagine what he could have done in a season or two.nThe reason the program has got as bad as it has involves a number of things , but mostly consistantly picking the wrong candate over and over , in this case i believe its no different. I was for White the last time he was up for it , when he should have got the job then, and for them to do this to him again i think is pretty sad. I personally believe he would have done an outstanding job and turned that program completly around and am dissapointed that we wont get to see that happen. The decision came as a shock to me as well as in the community from what i hear. Best of luck to the Devils and the new coach but personally i belive the only thing thats going to be in there favor is playing easier teams. I believe this was the wrong decision yet again.. but of course with our system the right one would have been a surprise.What a shame they have really missed out..

Having a son that will be playing High School ball at Unicoi in five years I am personally upset with this decision, and would have to agree with the comment above. I have nothing against Coach Huskins personally and think he was an alright assistant , but in no way does he even compare to Coach White. I think with this program its gonna take someone with the maximum experience and knowledge about the sport, who has actually proven themselves, to turn the Devils around. Huskins has no where near the experience needed to do what needs to be done the only position he has ever held is an assistant at Unicoi.Possibly if the program was built, winning games , and White wasnt a canadate Huskins would be the next best thing. White from what i hear has won awards for his coaching abilities and has years of experience not only with the Devils but with other teams as well. Like said above the Tennessee High game when White was in charge , his amazing ability to lead a team and turn it around was evident to everyone in the stands that night , and was the talk of the town for weeks.... and that was just in one game imagine what he could have done in a season or two.nThe reason the program has got as bad as it has involves a number of things , but mostly consistantly picking the wrong candate over and over , in this case i believe its no different. I was for White the last time he was up for it , when he should have got the job then, and for them to do this to him again i think is pretty sad. I personally believe he would have done an outstanding job and turned that program completly around and am dissapointed that we wont get to see that happen. The decision came as a shock to me as well as in the community from what i hear. Best of luck to the Devils and the new coach but personally i belive the only thing thats going to be in there favor is playing easier teams. I believe this was the wrong decision yet again.. but of course with our system the right one would have been a surprise.What a shame they have really missed out..

I'm not sure what community you live in, but folks aren't hanging their head over the choice from my parts of the county. I have far too much respect for Coach White to strike up a conversation as to why he didn't get it the job- and honestly who am I (or you) to speculate. We aren't in the locker room or the practice field, nor were we in the individual interviews. All I know is a quality man was handed the reigns and the town should back him. Whether you realize it or not, your disrespecting Coach Huskins and, with a son soon rising up in the program, that's not the best mentality to have.

I love Coach White and I hope that he has a spot on staff-

This is not Coach White's screen name so do not get this confused. Because he does not have one, he told me individually as of around 3 minutes ago to post this.

"I am completely behind Coach Huskins. I want the talking and arguing about me to stop on here. Jerad is the right man for the job and I sincerely believe that. We have to be united in order to be successful, and I am in complete support of Coach Huskins and the staff."

-That is straight from Coach Glen White, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not Coach White's screen name so do not get this confused. Because he does not have one, he told me individually as of around 3 minutes ago to post this.

"I am completely behind Coach Huskins. I want the talking and arguing about me to stop on here. Jerad is the right man for the job and I sincerely believe that. We have to be united in order to be successful, and I am in complete support of Coach Huskins and the staff."

-That is straight from Coach Glen White, thanks.

Great game plan aganist tenn. Hi. could not believe when they annonced the score at our game....SO

Just Curious....but if Coach H was and is the best why was he not chose to lead the team aganist Bristol when Cooper was suspended for a game??????.

Great game plan aganist tenn. Hi. could not believe when they annonced the score at our game....SO

Just Curious....but if Coach H was and is the best why was he not chose to lead the team aganist Bristol when Cooper was suspended for a game??????.

As I understand it the decision was completely up to Coach Cooper as to who would be the head coach in his absence. White had the most experience and it made the most sense as to who would step in for three hours of coaching. I'd put money though that the Tennessee High gameplan didn't come from just Coach White.

i know one man in Unicoi Co. and that is Jered Huskins. Pros to him being the new head coach youth, he bleeds blue, has seen the past 10 years of the program, passion for kids and football. Cons youth no head coach experiance. now with that all said. his most important job is selling himself and his style, next sell it to assistant coaches, then sell it to the players. when he does this success will come. you cant measure a man by what he has not done only by what he has. i was offered a head job at age 25. i was not ready so i declined the offer. he is ready or he would not have taken the burden of being the BOSS. so get behind him support him ask what you can do to help. trust me he will need help, but let him tell you what he needs not the other way around. he needs to do it his way. his job will be hard. get him what he needs and he will give you what you want and that is success. SUCCESS not WINS those come later. you have to build something before you move in. i have seeen may films over the past 4 years on unicoi. you have talent. you need numbers that will be dedicated, commited, and that will prepare. you get those three plus community supporting with pats on the back and financial funds and you will do well. jered knows what he is doing and he has a plan let him do his job. Good Luck My Friend!!!!!

coach shelton

• 5 weeks later...