2009 Regions

superman2002

Not sure if this was where you were going, but for those of us that can't compete with the Clevelands, Bradley Centrals, etc. of the world, I hope we will eventually move to at least a small school/large school individual state. I know that's not the popular for the traditionalist, but to keep some of the smaller weaker programs alive that's what I think will be needed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the D-I dual meet state tournament like some other sports. Single elimination, no consolation matches, expand it to 32 teams. Advance 4 teams from each region and separate region champs and runner ups in top and bottom half of brackets so they don't meet too early. 1st's vs 4th's and 2nd's vs 3rd's in 1st round separated via the same method above. Give 1st and 2nd place awards only. Three fewer matches than a 16 team double elimination that places 4 teams.

Puts emphasis on obtaining top 2 spot in your region to avoid wrestling your region champ again until the finals and solves the "loaded region" issue.

Now, what gym is going to hold 32 teams for the 1st round along with the A/AA and girls teams? I'm not a logistics major and I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night so I'll leave that up to you guys.

Make the D-I dual meet state tournament like some other sports. Single elimination, no consolation matches, expand it to 32 teams. Advance 4 teams from each region and separate region champs and runner ups in top and bottom half of brackets so they don't meet too early. 1st's vs 4th's and 2nd's vs 3rd's in 1st round separated via the same method above. Give 1st and 2nd place awards only. Three fewer matches than a 16 team double elimination that places 4 teams.

Puts emphasis on obtaining top 2 spot in your region to avoid wrestling your region champ again until the finals and solves the "loaded region" issue.

Now, what gym is going to hold 32 teams for the 1st round along with the A/AA and girls teams? I'm not a logistics major and I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night so I'll leave that up to you guys.

dump the girls matches to some place else. If the venue is the only issue, that can be solved.

Why don't we take the top 4 teams from Region 3 and the top four teams from Region 4 and top one team from all the others? Hmmm....sarcasm. A solution that caters to the current strong teams will never be a real solution.

You don't need to go that far. Just take Soddy, Ooltewah from 4-Bradley, Cleveland from 3 and anybody else you want to throw in from the rest of the state. It want matter. Now thats some sarcasm. On the hand more programs are on the rise but you just have to let everything play out because some teams will be 1 to 4 year wonders, and then they fall back off. Really only Soddy and Bradley have shown the staying power through out the years, Look for good feeder programs, you will see where the good teams are coming from in the future.

I'll add this: Blackmon, Indy, Brentwood all have good kids there and coming up. Chattanooga wrestling is changing slightly. You can go from program to program, teams are starting to have trouble with depth. Which means you are only an injury or two from mediocrity, Bradley still has that depth, we will find out from Cleveland this year because they lost some quality wrestlers from last year. I think it has alot to do with school zonings myself so you could take it one step further and look at school zones to see where you can pull wrestlers from and who has more fertile ground.

One problem with making the state duals single elimination is you'll have some teams that aren't exactly down the road, say, Memphis, driving close to 4 hours, only to possibly wrestle one match, lose, and be done. That's alot of gas money for just one match.

How is that any different than 3-7, 4-6., etc....football teams traveling across the state with 40 + kids to play a football game? Happens every year in the first round of the playoffs.

I still believe the best way to go is more teams with single elimination. This gives more teams incentive to build there team up to the point they have a shot at going to state. How many teams lose intrest from there schools and students and find it hard to keep wrestlers when there is no hope of the dream of going to state.You would see the 5-8 place teams competing harder for that #4 slot from their Region than if they know they have no shot at #1 or even #2. Once at state every dual gains importance when you know its win or go home. I've even seen guys not wrestle in the state duals for fear of injury or matching up with someone they will see at individual state. I would also like to see a rule eliminating the forefitting of matchs once a dual is won. If you forfeit a weight class and win ,in the following dual you must also forfeit that same weight class.These kids don't work all year to not even get a match if their team is winning or losing. Sure there is risk of injury in a meaningless match ,so what this is wrestling not cheerleading. Every one of these kids know that this is a tough sport thats why a wrestling State title or any wrestling award or achievement should be coveted more than any other sports.I think the bottom line on this could be money related (everything TSSAA does usually is).Allowing more teams could only help raise more money with greater atttendance. The best teams will still end up on top and there may even be a cinderella every once in a while ( No one wants to see the same two teams win every year, single elimination will give you an upset more often than double elimination which makes the tourny more interesting.Also I would suggest not keeping team points at Individual State it should be what its called individual not team.The only team championship goes to the Dual Champion. I bet I get some reaction to this post.