Knox Carter Ball is it in them.

BallKing2008

First game I got to go to this year and here's what I saw:

1. Perimeter Defense is vastly improved from last year. Only saw a few times where the shooter was wide open

2. This team needs to calm down on offense and work the ball around better. First half they did and it showed, but second half they tried to force the ball to places. Relax and let the play develop.

3. Wilson, Hayes, and Meady have to work harder to post. With the dominate size Carter has, the ball should touch Meady or Wilson's hands at least once a possession.

4. Hayes has to quite taking bad shots in key parts of the games. I've heard he's played well so far this year, so maybe he just had an off night. Everyone has them.

5. Point Guard play was good between Hundley and #2 (not sure name). Didn't score much but kept possession of the ball and made smart passes for the most part.

6. Team's basketball IQ needs to improve especially when trying to hold onto a lead.

7. Wilson is a player but needs to play better defense. He reminds me of Scotty Hopson in that sense.

Thats some of the things I saw. Not a bad game but a game that should've easily been won.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irish Ball heres your enlightment.Stanton was injured early in the second half at Fulton(hip)and would be sidelined for maybe 2 weeks,Toward the end of the Fulton game he voiced his displeasure with the treatment of a teammate by the coach and was sent to the locker room.The coach has decided to suspend him until January.While I support Landry's leadership in this situation his delivery was out of line and he will take his punishment and be better for it.

Now to the state of this program and last nights game.4 points in the 4th you got to be kidding me.This is on paper a very talented high school basketball team even without Stanton.What's the deal 2 wins on the season hey is there any accountability here or is this OK at Carter?????

Now to the state of this program and last nights game.4 points in the 4th you got to be kidding me.This is on paper a very talented high school basketball team even without Stanton.What's the deal 2 wins on the season hey is there any accountability here or is this OK at Carter?????

How did Carter just hit 4 points after Wilson hit for 26 the whole game. What happened at this point? Where was Big Joe, and the rest of the Carter Squad? Like I said before, Carter has an opportunity to win all of their games. I was hoping that Stanton was on the verge of pulling this team together, and take it to the next level. His shooting has been off, or called off I don't know which one. He will be missed and I wish him well on his recovery.

BallKing,

I spent a great deal of time working with Meady, Lester, and Charwan on post moves last fall all during pre-season. They worked on much more than just drop steps. We spent about 2 hours every Sunday night from start of school to the first day of practice. Maybe they just need a refresher course! Post play improves tremendously when you can knockdown some outside shots and give them the ball when and where they need it!

Doing a drop step, and just turn around jumpers might get you some where in high school ball, but in college it gets you limited playing time, if that is the only thing you can do. Most players, who are in college now, know how to handle the ball, pass the ball, set and reset for the post, and use fakes, to move and shoot the ball. Basketball 101 comes into play when our kids are lacking the basics of basketball. Let's get them in the gym, and do a crash course and get them up to par. It is possible to do this with determination, and dedication to the game. Then you will see that the Carter program is on good foundation.

How did Carter just hit 4 points after Wilson hit for 26 the whole game. What happened at this point? Where was Big Joe, and the rest of the Carter Squad? Like I said before, Carter has an opportunity to win all of their games. I was hoping that Stanton was on the verge of pulling this team together, and take it to the next level. His shooting has been off, or called off I don't know which one. He will be missed and I wish him well on his recovery.

Joe got three fouls early and didn't come back until late. Rest of the team couldn't hit anything

Joe didnt start last night and didnt play that much really... or not as much as usual. and the reason the 4 point thing started is because when they went to the 4th it was like they stopped trying to score... but Alcoa made a good adjustment because they ran a tight 2-3 zone and didnt guard the perimiter they just made sure meade/lester/charwann didnt touch the ball and it worked because the outside shooters besides lee wouldnt take the shot! and one thing Carter should improve on is the inside out game because they could be dominate in that.... everytime lester/meade/ and charwann touch the ball they get doubled or trippled they need to look for the kick out and them gaurds got to be ready to knock down the shot.

BallKing,

I spent a great deal of time working with Meady, Lester, and Charwan on post moves last fall all during pre-season. They worked on much more than just drop steps. We spent about 2 hours every Sunday night from start of school to the first day of practice. Maybe they just need a refresher course! Post play improves tremendously when you can knockdown some outside shots and give them the ball when and where they need it!

If this happened wouldn't it call into question their Basketball IQ, or is it their will to do anything they want to, because it's their me attitude again. I'm not calling into question your 2 hour workouts, but if you spent that much time investing in it, you would at least expect something out of it, right? If they didn't get it then, how you expect for them to have it now. It all falls on Meady, Lester, and Charwan to do it. You provided the means to the necessary, it's up to them to put it into play. My hands go off to you for devoting your time to instruct. Maybe after seeing that their individual contributions are not on par, they will reflect back on those lessons, and start to do it for the sake of the team and their self reflections.

If this happened wouldn't it call into question their Basketball IQ, or is it their will to do anything they want to, because it's their me attitude again. I'm not calling into question your 2 hour workouts, but if you spent that much time investing in it, you would at least expect something out of it, right? If they didn't get it then, how you expect for them to have it now. It all falls on Meady, Lester, and Charwan to do it. You provided the means to the necessary, it's up to them to put it into play. My hands go off to you for devoting your time to instruct. Maybe after seeing that their individual contributions are not on par, they will reflect back on those lessons, and start to do it for the sake of the team and their self reflections.

I've watched these guys since that time and here's my thoughts. Charwan may have been the least talented of the 3 but worked the hardest. He played more physical in the post than Lester or Joe. Not the best skill set or basketball IQ but potential to be a good high school player. Joe is a great kid but is almost too nice. He's got the size and physical ability to be a special player but plays soft. He would/will benefit greatly from time in the weight room. He's a gentle giant but needs a shot of ###### and vinegar if you know what I mean. Lester worked hard but only on the things he did well already. He had a good attitude working with me but I could see where a problem could develop. Part of it is respecting who's trying to teach you. I didn't have time to work much on his jumper but it needs serious work and that is an off-season thing. If any of them want to talk to me, Sharon Meady has my number. I'm coaching the Knoxville Thunderbolts ABA team so my time is limited right now. I want to see these guys succeed and this is meant to be a constructive analysis. The key is they learned the basics last pre-season but need to continue to work on the skill set everyday while trying to develop new ones. It's a whole lot more fun to work on the things you do well and avoid turning your weaknesses into positives. And lastly, it's something that needs to be done every practice if only for 10-15 minutes. It happens at the next level. Your thoughts?

I've watched these guys since that time and here's my thoughts. Charwan may have been the least talented of the 3 but worked the hardest. He played more physical in the post than Lester or Joe. Not the best skill set or basketball IQ but potential to be a good high school player. Joe is a great kid but is almost too nice. He's got the size and physical ability to be a special player but plays soft. He would/will benefit greatly from time in the weight room. He's a gentle giant but needs a shot of ###### and vinegar if you know what I mean. Lester worked hard but only on the things he did well already. He had a good attitude working with me but I could see where a problem could develop. Part of it is respecting who's trying to teach you. I didn't have time to work much on his jumper but it needs serious work and that is an off-season thing. If any of them want to talk to me, Sharon Meady has my number. I'm coaching the Knoxville Thunderbolts ABA team so my time is limited right now. I want to see these guys succeed and this is meant to be a constructive analysis. The key is they learned the basics last pre-season but need to continue to work on the skill set everyday while trying to develop new ones. It's a whole lot more fun to work on the things you do well and avoid turning your weaknesses into positives. And lastly, it's something that needs to be done every practice if only for 10-15 minutes. It happens at the next level. Your thoughts?

I know exactly where you are coming from, and by the way I know several people from your team, and have known them from years. I travel throughout the middle and eastern part of the state providing services to ball players. Next Level is a benificial organization, and having the chance to work with them i'm sure gave you an insight into the physic' of ball players from the Knoxville Area. It is a hard market to get involved in, and to also convince parents and players that a program does exist.

Throughout the country from state to state several programs do exist that provides fundamentals, conditioning, and basic knowledge for student players to work, and achieve a greater learning experience in sports and college preparation. I have talked with several scouts, and others involved in basketball in this area, and this is not an isolated incident. No doubt, basketball is on the rise in this area, but to a certain level. Several programs have popped up providing these services to the potential players that are coming up into the lime light. Next Level, Vision Athletics,and D1 sports to name a few provide these services for a nominal fee. But once again, just like you said, the players are the ones who are capable of achieving that goal, and it lies within them.

Lester, without a doubt in my mind, is a hard worker, but as you say, he only works on the things he wants to work on. I agree with you on the aspect, that it could pose a problem in his future. Joe has a tendency to become complacent, right now he is satisfied that he has a place to go for college, and that is a dangerous mind set to be at. Just because you have sealed the deal, the work doesn't stop. He has to maintain his standings, and also step up his work ethic because high school workouts are not like college workouts. These are the only 2 people that I project to have some potential to go beyond high school.

I know exactly where you are coming from, and by the way I know several people from your team, and have known them from years. I travel throughout the middle and eastern part of the state providing services to ball players. Next Level is a benificial organization, and having the chance to work with them i'm sure gave you an insight into the physic' of ball players from the Knoxville Area. It is a hard market to get involved in, and to also convince parents and players that a program does exist.

Throughout the country from state to state several programs do exist that provides fundamentals, conditioning, and basic knowledge for student players to work, and achieve a greater learning experience in sports and college preparation. I have talked with several scouts, and others involved in basketball in this area, and this is not an isolated incident. No doubt, basketball is on the rise in this area, but to a certain level. Several programs have popped up providing these services to the potential players that are coming up into the lime light. Next Level, Vision Athletics,and D1 sports to name a few provide these services for a nominal fee. But once again, just like you said, the players are the ones who are capable of achieving that goal, and it lies within them.

Lester, without a doubt in my mind, is a hard worker, but as you say, he only works on the things he wants to work on. I agree with you on the aspect, that it could pose a problem in his future. Joe has a tendency to become complacent, right now he is satisfied that he has a place to go for college, and that is a dangerous mind set to be at. Just because you have sealed the deal, the work doesn't stop. He has to maintain his standings, and also step up his work ethic because high school workouts are not like college workouts. These are the only 2 people that I project to have some potential to go beyond high school.

ballking2008 do you ever get to come to the northeast tn to was some games in the big9? if so do you see any young talent from this area such as soph or jrs.? i know there are a lot of talent in the knox area.

You pretty much nailed that, I agree with absolutely everything u just said!, and i didnt know you coached the thunderbolts thats pretty cool i know a few players on that team, and played against Wiley in leagues several of times... hes quick!!