Who Was This Years Coach of the Year?

socc3r

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Criteria -- Winning

I believe the winners that are picked are usually those who take their teams the farthest.

While it won't happen, the coaches that deserve it the most are those that develop the talent they have the furthest. If a Coach has talent of 90, and develops it to 95 and wins it all, that probably isn't as big a coaching success as the coach who starts with 25, and develops it to 80, not enough to win it all, but further than the other team had to go.

Criteria -- Winning

I believe the winners that are picked are usually those who take their teams the farthest.

While it won't happen, the coaches that deserve it the most are those that develop the talent they have the furthest. If a Coach has talent of 90, and develops it to 95 and wins it all, that probably isn't as big a coaching success as the coach who starts with 25, and develops it to 80, not enough to win it all, but further than the other team had to go.

AAA Coach of the Year was Eric Shelton from Siegel High School

I understand what you are saying totally. I dont think it is that easy though. You also have to be a real good coach to teach the "90" talent something new and get them to buy into it. It is quite easy to get 25 talent to improve.

I understand what you are saying totally. I dont think it is that easy though. You also have to be a real good coach to teach the "90" talent something new and get them to buy into it. It is quite easy to get 25 talent to improve.

Good point. If you can't get a bunch of talented players to play as a team, you won't win it all.

Almost always, though, the coaches awards go to the top winning teams, or those almost there. I agree that almost anybody can improve on the "25's", but to take them all they way to 80's is the sign of a very good coach. Another way to think of it, IMO, is to take a team very far (or all the way) without any "stars" or stand-out players.

I didn't mean to demean Siegel's coach on his award. Siegel got the brass ring, and he (and the team) deserve their moment in the sun.

Congratulations Coach Shelton! This honor is well-deserved and not because he won a state championship this year. This is the type of person that every parent wants coaching their child. He is disciplined but fun, intelligent about the game, and displays good sportsmanship win or lose. He represents Rutherford County and his profession well.

I feel that Coach Norwood at Seymour for the AA coach of the year and Coach Calvert at Dobyns Bennett for AAA coach of the year.

Both coaches took programs to the state tournament when they were not even thought of by most. Both teams knocked off "POWER PROGRAMS" to get to State.

For Norwood taking Seymour to Chattanooga was the first in school history.

For Calvert taking Dobyns Bennett it was the first time in 10 years the school went and in only his 2nd year to make it to the State Semi Finals and set a school record for wins is impressive.