How will playoffs work for the Region 4?

croz6110

To qualify for the playoffs will they go by the district rankings or the overall region rankings.

If the way I read it was correct and they go by district standings instead of the region standings, All Gordonsville would have to do to make the playoffs is beat Red Boiling Springs. Or, would just the top two in the whole region get automatic berths while everyone else would have to earn a wildcard? Or will they divide the whole region into playoff classes and take the top two of the 1A and 2A teams?

Keep in mind that bids are awarded under three rules.

(1) Top half of the district in its class. I think it may reasonably be presumed that this will simply apply to the entire region (two out of four 2A and two out of five 1A).

(2) Top two in the district, regardless of class. This is the one that is unclear. Back in the old days, a region combined of two districts (like this one) would qualify four teams to the state. I have not yet gotten clarification on whether that is still the case.

(3) Wild cards. District/region structure is not taken into account at this step.

Keep in mind that bids are awarded under three rules.

(1) Top half of the district in its class. I think it may reasonably be presumed that this will simply apply to the entire region (two out of four 2A and two out of five 1A).

(2) Top two in the district, regardless of class. This is the one that is unclear. Back in the old days, a region combined of two districts (like this one) would qualify four teams to the state. I have not yet gotten clarification on whether that is still the case.

(3) Wild cards. District/region structure is not taken into account at this step.

That makes sense, I wonder when they'll come out with a concrete formula for qualifying.

I think I read that half of the teams in a playoff class in each district will qualify for the playoffs.

So, does that mean that Gville will have to finish in the top half of the 1A teams in Region 4, which would include Clay, Monterey, RBS, and Pickett.

Yes, I think that is correct. The top 2 1A teams in the region and the top 2 2A teams in the region will make the playoffs.