FELONY FOOTBALL

EXCHEQUER

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copied and pasted from WBIR's web site

If nothing else evading arrest should be enough to keep a player from derssing.

Eight Austin-East Magnet High School football players have been arrested in a shoplifting ring, and at this point, it's not known if they will still play in the playoffs this Friday against Knoxville Catholic.

"I am aware of the allegations," said football coach Kwayu Graham. "This is not a school issue, so I cannot comment on it. I have discussed it with the parents."

Knox County Schools spokesman Russ Oaks tells 10 News, "This matter is under review."

Arrest reports describe a group of young men working together to steal from a department store.

According to the reports, they passed clothing to each other and blocked the view as they tucked items under their clothes.

But when they ran out the door of Marshalls Department Store in East Knoxville, officers were waiting.

Knoxville Police and the Knox County Sheriff's Office worked together on the 3-day stakeout operation over the weekend.

All together, 33 people were arrested, 8 of them juveniles.

Law enforcement recovered $9,000 in stolen merchandise overall.

"It's something that we have to do not only for the public's safety but for the businesses' safety and the employees who work at the businesses as well," said KPD Spokesman Darrell DeBusk.

Undercover officers watched inside and outside the store as security cameras rolled.

Marshalls was one of several stores deputies and police officers targeted this past weekend.

"Some of these shops have been taking a big hit," said DeBusk. "They've been victimized over and over, and we're trying to put a stop to that."

Eighteen-year-old Dana Littlejohn, an offensive lineman, and 19-year-old Jared Neal, a running back, are charged with a Class E Felony, theft over $500, as well as evading arrest.

Six other football players face the same charges, in juvenile court.

"It doesn't matter if you are an adult or a juvenile," said DeBusk. "We are going to effect an arrest, and you will be charged."

Police say shoplifting increases around the holidays.

"We're going to be watching. And it's not going to be as easy on them as it has been in the past," he said.

Littlejohn and Neal have separate bond arraignments in sessions court next month.

The other six suspects from Austin East have a hearing in juvenile court December 23.

I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but you Austin East fans that are supporting the play of these boys because they are "innocent until proven guilty" make me sick. Legally yes, they are innocent until proven guilty. But they were CAUGHT AT THE SCENE OF THE CRIME WITH THE STOLEN GOODS. And they ran from the police. That is in itself wrong and should be taken into consideration immediately. I'm sincerely sorry that they made this mistake and wish they wouldn't have. But there must be consequences for their actions. And by not enforcing those consequences the message is is that football is more important than character.

I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but you Austin East fans that are supporting the play of these boys because they are "innocent until proven guilty" make me sick. Legally yes, they are innocent until proven guilty. But they were CAUGHT AT THE SCENE OF THE CRIME WITH THE STOLEN GOODS. And they ran from the police. That is in itself wrong and should be taken into consideration immediately. I'm sincerely sorry that they made this mistake and wish they wouldn't have. But there must be consequences for their actions. And by not enforcing those consequences the message is is that football is more important than character.

i missed my home coming game sr. year for knocking over a piggly wiggly in yazzo county! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

come on.you know these guys are innocent.i think we will see al sharpton and jesse jackson in on this if these fine pillars of the community,these fine young black kids who are all on the honor roll are kicked off the team.see the cops have kids who play on catholic ok? and catholic could not beat them this time around so they had the police trump up charges on these young men hoping to dismiss them off the football team so catholic would win.it's racial profiling i tell you.all charges should be dropped!!! wow i should be a lawyer.by the way i have some swamp land at austin homes i'd love to sell you!!

We need to remember that we probably all made allot of mistakes growing up and these kids live in a different world than what most of us did. What we need to do is get behind them and hope they make the right disisions in the future. They need to learn from there mistakes and we should help them through it and hope they learn from it while they are young. They need to face there mistake and what it brings, but should build on it too.

Remember they are young and are our future.............................IMO from EAST TN

I try to keep in mind that its not mine right now but could be. (so far so good)

When it comes to the law, these players are innocent until proven guilty. when it comes to football, these coahes need to send their team a message that activities such like this will not be tolerated and they should not play. there is more to life than a game on friday night.

Thankyou. I'm glad to see that some others don't think a criminal conviction is required before dismissing a player from a team or making them sit out a game.