Dribble-Drive-Motion Offense questions

smallie

There was an article in Sports Illustrated last college basketball season about who was using it.....Named all the high schools in the USA that were running it...Actually had Dyer County and Union City mentioned in it....

It is very unconventional because in most offenses you use screens away from the ball to get shooters open. In the DDM it all starts with reading the close-out, penetrating, and drawing help to get shooters open. I think Grace, Temple, UC, mannasses, Dyer, Cleveland and many teams are running some form of it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article in Sports Illustrated last college basketball season about who was using it.....Named all the high schools in the USA that were running it...Actually had Dyer County and Union City mentioned in it....

Only ignorant coaches with superior athletes would run it a fundamentally sound defensive team with good athletes will beat it and there are really not any high school teams with that kinda athletes against championship caliber teams.

If you need an example please look at the tape from UT vs. Memphis the last 2 years.

5 high school players that play as a team with good fundamentals beat any of the wow look what I half-way learned gimick offences

Guess that's why UT was watching the Tigers from home while Memphis was playing for the National Championship and finishing runner-up. UT was not the same team after beating Memphis last season. Memphis won well over 100 games in the last three season and played plenty of ranked teams out of confernce and in the NCAA tourny over that time as well. Bolivar, Union City, and Dyer County played plenty of those solid fundemental teams over the years and won just about all the games against those teams. I can assure anybody that Rudesill, McCord, and Sisco are not ignorant coaches and anybody that would implie that shows a great deal of ignorance about the game of basketball in my opinion. BTW...Bolivar, Dyer County, and Union City have the team concept down as well as any teams......PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess that's why UT was watching the Tigers from home while Memphis was playing for the National Championship and finishing runner-up. UT was not the same team after beating Memphis last season. Memphis won well over 100 games in the last three season and played plenty of ranked teams out of confernce and in the NCAA tourny over that time as well. Bolivar, Union City, and Dyer County played plenty of those solid fundemental teams over the years and won just about all the games against those teams. I can assure anybody that Rudesill, McCord, and Sisco are not ignorant coaches and anybody that would implie that shows a great deal of ignorance about the game of basketball in my opinion. BTW...Bolivar, Dyer County, and Union City have the team concept down as well as any teams......PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we'll see this year Tennessee has superior athletes to Memphis as opposed to fundamentally sound 6'2 guards across the back line we'll see how that DDM works out for them. Wanna see a good offense watch some old UCLA tape.

Memphis will be fine win or lose. They did lose three players to the NBA so they will have there share of growing pains. I'm not worried one way or the other. Success in the NCAA tournement is what it's all about as far as I'm concerned. I know all about UCLA but really have no interest in pulling out the old John Wodden tapes or Ben Howlin either for that matter.

To say that an only ignorant coaches run this offense is well ignorant. Calipari was a half court guy for years and then he saw something new. It si about time something changed in basketball. Yea you need athletes but you need kids with ball handling skills, court vision and decision making. The game changed back in the sixties from slow half court to full court running. Coaches will adapt this offense and make basketball basketball again a game of skill and athletics. I am a half court guy but I love this offense in the fact that is teaches kids to play the game.

Only ignorant coaches with superior athletes would run it a fundamentally sound defensive team with good athletes will beat it....

What defense beats it?

5 high school players that play as a team with good fundamentals beat any of the wow look what I half-way learned gimick offences

It's not a gimick, but scheme,IMO. I think it will be easier to teach than a motion offense that realize on screeens (ie flex) or on cuts (Princeton). Very simplistic in nature but has lots of options especially coming out of stalled fast breaks.

smallie

It's not a gimick, but scheme,IMO. I think it will be easier to teach than a motion offense that realize on screeens (ie flex) or on cuts (Princeton). Very simplistic in nature but has lots of options especially coming out of stalled fast breaks.

You are right on smallie....it is very simplistic in nature and easy to teach and I might also add it has been in use on the playgrounds and in streetball for YEARS.....WOW I can't fathom why some feel it is some kind of NEW visionary offense.

smallie

You are right on smallie....it is very simplistic in nature and easy to teach and I might also add it has been in use on the playgrounds and in streetball for YEARS.....WOW I can't fathom why some feel it is some kind of NEW visionary offense.

The only one that thinks it's some new visionary offense is calipari and all his worshippers. It's been around along time was invented by Vance Walberg at Pepperdine. Also known as the AASAA (Atack, attack, skip, attack, attack). Calapari renamed it to DDM.

As for what defense beats it seems a sagging man does a pretty good job if you try to run it with crappy outside shooters like Memphis has.