Dribble-Drive-Motion Offense questions

smallie

I agree....If Humboldt would adopt the style and all the players buy in and be on the same page they would be almost unstopable. To be honset I don't know if the Humboldt coach could pull it off though. Takes alot of practice to get it down. This is the most talented Humboldt team in years and could be a special team but it remains to be seen if they can all get on the same page and be as dominate as they are capable of......especially at the single A level.

I feel you man;;i was in the building the other night against dyersburg and we looked horrible offensivley! Absolutley no plays!The whole offense was just pass and then pass back and they stinked!The talent and potential is all there! Now we need execution! Ya feel me?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dribble Drive Motion or Attack Attack Skip Attack Attack was created by Walburg in order to recruit players at a JUCO level of play. He went to Pepperdine and they struggled until he stepped down for personal reasons. High School coaches and college coahes are adopting this sylte of offense due to it's easiness to teach, blood drills at developing the skills needed for this unconventional offense, and AAU mentality (practice once or twice and let's go play). To be honest it is great for the kids of today, they want to play, and for high school coaches it requires more than 5-7 players on a bench. Which in turn makes mommies and daddies happy, cause my kid is playing. The true Walburg system requires very unconventional pressing and dribble attacking, Lee College has even altered it one step further and has had success with it. The original post asked how to do it, who is it for, and how to stop it. Football is going through the same thing with the spread offense. Student/athletes of today just want to play and there is more parity among college top 25 than ever before due to the "I want to play NOW," mentality developed by AAU basketball. The solution lies with better athletes and more fundamentally sound teams which execute THEIR system, out rebounding, scoring, and forcing turnovers. Check out the teams that implement this and you will find that their coaches ARE inventive in regards to being willing to take unconventional ideas and implement them with 15-17 year olds. Basketball allows any team on any night to beat another team. Great ideas for the kids of today, the generation that wants it NOW! All the teams mentioned are fun to watch, check out Walker Valley scores from this week 173 points in two games, WOW, alot of offense for 32 minutes of play. .0451 points per second or 2.7 points per minute, that IS amazing regardless of who is playing, but where is the defense? Oh yeah, we only report the offense in box scores. Take a deeper look at where we are as a society, the game is a direct reflection of what we truely want, satisfiaction. America wants to win at ALL costs, and this is difficult to prepare for and defend, no room for error. Great post though, good luck to the teams this year running this offense. Coach to the level of your talent and find something that works (creates wins).

You gotta have good on the ball defense, keep people from driving the middle, rotate down when they drive make the driver make the toughest pass possible and rotate out on shooters with good close-out position. If the team is mediocre from outside then yea sag. But if they can shoot it ie. UC and DC teams from last year it makes the offense a very tough one to guard. You can deny the primary drivers the ball and make other guys beat you. It takes preparation for this. It's a different mind set because you are constantly defending drive and kick. Usually the teams that play this way are also better at defending it becasue they see it in practice everyday.

When you have athletes and players practice takes on a whole new form. Teams have an idea of what they want to do and do it. No real preparation for other teams, however when you have middle level athletes and midle level skills practice is new from day to day preparing for the team you will play each week and things change from practice to practice. I would bet that dribble drive teams practices are intense and focused on playing ratehr than alot of drills and skill work. Some drills but not many.

You gotta have good on the ball defense, keep people from driving the middle, rotate down when they drive make the driver make the toughest pass possible and rotate out on shooters with good close-out position.....

Isn't it the rotation that is keying the offense? Seems to me that this type of D would only work with superior athletes. With equal athletes the DDM gets the nod over this D.

Why not clog the middle with a zone of some sort? Eliminates the penetration and forces outside shot. Just thinking outloud. Comments?

Isn't it the rotation that is keying the offense? Seems to me that this type of D would only work with superior athletes. With equal athletes the DDM gets the nod over this D.

Why not clog the middle with a zone of some sort? Eliminates the penetration and forces outside shot. Just thinking outloud. Comments?

To stop it you need to have a sagging man to man with plenty of help-side defense. This makes the other team beat you from the outside. If you play against a disciplined man-to-man then they can shut you down pretty easily. If your athletic enough to actually run this offense then you will be successful, but then again if you are good you would be good with any offense you run.

To stop it you need to have a sagging man to man with plenty of help-side defense.....

My limited understanding of the DDM is that after the intitial penetration, it is the "help" that triggers the offense into another penetration or shot. I just don't see how a sagging D stops the DDM.

My limited understanding of the DDM is that after the intitial penetration, it is the "help" that triggers the offense into another penetration or shot. I just don't see how a sagging D stops the DDM.

It just jumbles up the inside, and forces a kick. The key to defending it is not just the help-side, but the recover after the help-side. Also, people say you can defend the DDM with a 2-3, but if a team reads the zone's gaps and week spots the DDM can be very effective. All in all their is very few teams in the state that should even consider this offense. You have to be super deep, and super athletic. Try this link to learn more http://www.coachesclipboard.net/DribbleDri...ionOffense.html

Beefstew, I have previous read your link, I reviewed it again.

I guess I can see where the packline/sagging D can help to stop the penetration (all the way for a layup); but it still requires help sliding over, which is what the DDM takes advantage of. I agree with your thoughts on the 2-3 but there are other zones out there that I think would work better.

The DDM is hard to stop when a team has the shooters, ball handleres, and athletes. Find away..anyway....to shut down the penetration first and foremost and just go from there....every zone, man, and junk defense has been used to stop the DDM.....if a team runs it to perfection and has the necessary shooters I think it would be very hard to stop.

The DDM is hard to stop when a team has the shooters, ball handleres, and athletes. Find away..anyway....to shut down the penetration first and foremost and just go from there....every zone, man, and junk defense has been used to stop the DDM.....if a team runs it to perfection and has the necessary shooters I think it would be very hard to stop.

ANY offense is hard to stop when a team has the shooters....ball handlers.....and athletes.

ANY offense is hard to stop when a team has the shooters....ball handlers.....and athletes.

Thats True...Guess I was stating the Obvious...LOL. The thing about todays games is not every team has the shooters though...Thats the key. When I say shooters I mean SHOOTERS to......plural. Thats why some of these highschool teams a so good, they have alot of different guys that can knock down the three as opposed to one or two guys that hang out on the perimiter. I know for a fact that just about every kid I saw on the court from Bolivar, Union City, and Dyer Couty last season could knock down the three......and yes I'm talking probably at a minimun of 7 or 8 guys from each team that could shoot. It's not often you see basically a whole team of shooters and they do alot of other things as well to. All three of these teams run some form of the DDM and had a combined record of something like 97 wins 7 loses last season....if it wasn't that it's pretty close...all three went to State last season to with UC winning the Gold.