Is Oak Ridge playing their best Athletes?

jedave30

You know as years pass it is different. People get in more trouble now then in pass years. Parents leave it up to the coachs to keep there child on the right track and coach them all the years they at the high school.

Posted by ohreally:

I think I can "safely" say that Mr. Teasley gained a wealth of knowledge as he walked the halls of Oak Ridge High School. 3Teasley0, you must be proud.

"Losing" talented players to various pitfalls seems to be a growing problem in Oak Ridge.

Grades should not be a problem... but they are.

Other sports should not be a problem... What other sport competes with football in the fall?

Players who get in trouble with the law should not be a problem... but, sadly, it is a problem.

What could Coach Lussier possibly do about losing talent? I am sure Coach Lussier has a set of challenges and problems unlike any other coach that paced the sidelines of Blankenship Field. How are Coach Lussier's problems (i.e., losing talented players) different from the problems of any other coach? Either the problems are different these days or it is the way the problems are dealt with.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldcat,

You hit the nail on the head. Things are different than they used to be.

In the past, kids could look to their coach as a mentor. The coach was someone parents could look to for help outside the family structure.

However, today we have a problem. In order to be on the team you have to stay out of trouble and make your grades. If a kid gets in trouble and is not on the team, the coach is powerless.

It is easy to give up on those kids who don't know how to act in today's society. It is difficult to change unacceptable behavior.

The bottom line... you can't "coach" the kids that aren't on the team.

[Edited by ohreally on 8-25-02 11:30A]

Posted by catwatch:

Ok guys, lets look around. Things aren't the same BUT why is Oak Ridge falling apart more than any other school? At the successful schools there is a Coach who inspires and motivates the students and players.

I say if there was a coach in Oak Ridge who did some of these things the talent would be on the team and on the field in friday nights.

With me?

I think you understand what I am saying.

My whole point is that things are no different in Oak Ridge than they are anywhere else.

It is the coach who makes all the calls! If the coach wants to offer a chance to those kids that need direction or if the coach wants to slam the door on any kid who makes a mistake... it is only the coach that can make the decision.

Are you with me?

If you will carefully read what I have posted on this thread, you will recognize the fact that we agree.

You will only need to use one of your 5 senses to understand what I have written. Read every line in my posts and you will understand the following:

If the situation in each high school is the same with problem athletes, then it is the coach's decision whether or not to go out of his way to try to help direct a kid down the right path.

Apparently, in Oak Ridge there is a coach that exhibits zero tolerance for unacceptable behavior. Are the "zero tolerance" methods of that coach successful? You be the judge.

6 wins/4 losses and no playoffs in 2001 (plus dwindling fan attendance). 2002 season is now here, so I guess you'll find out how the coach's methods effect the team.

Guest caligula

If you walk through many schools you will see lots of good athletes any of which could help a team. The '99 Heritage High team is a good example. They got a kid in his senior year of high school, beat Maryville and made the playoffs for the first time.

ohreally,

First, I would like to commend you for being intelligent enough to spell all the words in your post. I also appreciate the fact that you help others do this.

Second, I agree that there is a problem with the coaching staff at Oak Ridge. However, I do believe there is a deeper problem in many of these children's homes and other places.

Having talked with Stanton Stevens last night, he made an excellent point. The kids in Oak Ridge are out of touch before they reach the high school. Coach Stevens indicated that someone needs to reach out to these kids earlier, and I believe he is absolutely right. A change at the top would not completely alleviate the situation, but it would be a good start.