Is Oak Ridge playing their best Athletes?

jedave30

This year was the first year that I have gotten a chance to see Oak Ridge play in the pre season. I saw the Maryville and Oak Ridge scrimmage. That game almost made me sick. When I looked across the field, I could clearly see that Maryville had more confidence. I will stop short of saying better talent. When I looked on the field, there was probably 2 or 3 good players on either side of the ball for Oak Ridge. I know this can't be the best they have to offer. Are we trying to satify the boosters?

If you look over the last 3 to 4 years, Oak Ridge Freshmen and JV teams have went underfeated. What happen to those players? Are they not developing like the surrounding teams? If this the case, we need to look at our coaches. When I look through the program, I see names I never had heard of. Where did they come from all of sudden? Someone please help. Going back to the Maryville's scrimmage, I saw 2 bright spots: 1) Corey Booker 2) the punter. I did see a couple of players who wanted to make some plays but wasn't given the opportunity.

Personally, I think that Wing-T offense stinks. That offense is to predictable. There is 1 good running back in that system and you know where he is about to go. If he's lined up right, he's going to go left and vise versa. Who can't figure that out. The quarterback looked real bad. That doesn't help a Wing-T offense because other teams know you are not going to pass. Teams will stack 8 men on the line and say beat us. That Maryville scrimmage should have been a lesson learned. They came out in multiple sets and took it to Oak Ridge on the home turf. They were never predictable!!!

Let's get back to Oak Ridge Football. Put Booker in the I-formation and give him the ball 20+ times, I'll guarantee you'll get results.

Former Wildcat

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't completely understand your post. You want to be unpredictable, but end by saying put Booker in the I-formation and give him the ball 20+ times. These two don't exactly mesh. :confused:

I think Oak Ridge looked better this past Friday. Part of it was the competition, but part is also the coaches' willingness to play some of the younger players that are talented. This should eventually lead to the most talented players being on the field.

I am not fond of the Wing-T either. But it is worth noting that Concord De LaSalle has the national record for winning streaks while running the Wing-T. Cleveland also won several championships with it under Benny Monroe.

The problem is not the formation in and of itself. The problem is that Oak Ridge is forcing its players into a system rather than molding the system around the players' talents.

jedave30, I know the scrimmage you saw must have been a difficult 2 hours. It was for most of us. You asked where are the players? Are you talking about the players that beat Maryville 8th, 9th, 10, 11th grade and somehow were able to remain unbeaten while running the easily stoppable wingT?? Until they get to the "VARSITY BLUES"?

The answer to your question will vary from who you ask.

Ask someone who knows the truth and you will find the "Powers at be" like smooches and if you ever get in the infamous DOG HOUSE your career is over. No matter who you are.

No less than eight of the best players in the group who most everyone thought had a REAL chance to compete for the State Championship are not on the team anymore. The entire starting backfield and two best linebackers from the undefeated Robertsville and then Freshmen team are on that list. Only one player from that list that I know of is playing football in Alabama for former Coach Joe Gaddis.

Can the blame be put on the shoulders of the head guy now? Not every one of them BUT in the 40 years I have been following Oak Ridge Football I have NEVER EVER seen such a drop off.

Good luck to all of the players this year. You CAN WIN even though your coach bites.

By the way rabidwildcatfan have you gotten your facts straight yet? Don't believe everything you hear from your helplessly bogus sources. If you believe what you posted earlier YOU are the head case. :rolleyes:

You questioned in your post if we are trying to satisfy the boosters. You know everything, so I won't try to tell you who the officer's are or who they're kids are. But, I will say this. All of the kids share their parents last names, and they all (including the officers) will be listed in the program that will be on sale at the opening game. You check that roster and list of officers and find more than one starter, then you will be entitled to ask such questions. Until you can back it up, I guess you mean the boosters club officers do not want their sons to play. Perhaps you don't know who the booster officers are. If that's the case you certainly don't qualify to ask such questions. This year is much like most years. The parents who volunteer to do all the work and raise all the money don't need to watch the game. After all, their kids don't usually play. The starting kids' parents usually don't volunteer, and some don't even attend the games. I've carried on long enough, but if you find more than one starter in the officer's families, get back with me, and I will apologize.

To Rabid wildcatfan What you was saying about the wing t meant absolutly nothing I know nothing about oak ridge but what i do know is that the wing is the dumbest formation in football unless you have a very fast team including linemen.So unless Oakridge has a quik team it will not work.The teams you posted must have had a quik teasm to run the wing t. ;)

Posted by Bean004:

To Rabid wildcatfan What you was saying about the wing t meant absolutly nothing I know nothing about oak ridge but what i do know is that the wing is the dumbest formation in football unless you have a very fast team including linemen.So unless Oakridge has a quik team it will not work.The teams you posted must have had a quik teasm to run the wing t. ;)

Bean,

You should look back at the teams that played in the 'Boro last year just to see how many of those teams ran the wing T! I would have a hard time calling those guys dumb or stupid! The wingT does just the oppisite it helps you hide weeknesses such as speed and slow lineman. I'm not saying it's my favorite offense either, but it's a hard one to defend when ran right!

[Edited by slim589 on 8-21-02 3:18A]

Posted by jedave30:

This year was the first year that I have gotten a chance to see Oak Ridge play in the pre season. I saw the Maryville and Oak Ridge scrimmage. That game almost made me sick. When I looked across the field, I could clearly see that Maryville had more confidence. I will stop short of saying better talent. When I looked on the field, there was probably 2 or 3 good players on either side of the ball for Oak Ridge. I know this can't be the best they have to offer. Are we trying to satify the boosters?

If you look over the last 3 to 4 years, Oak Ridge Freshmen and JV teams have went underfeated. What happen to those players? Are they not developing like the surrounding teams? If this the case, we need to look at our coaches. When I look through the program, I see names I never had heard of. Where did they come from all of sudden? Someone please help. Going back to the Maryville's scrimmage, I saw 2 bright spots: 1) Corey Booker 2) the punter. I did see a couple of players who wanted to make some plays but wasn't given the opportunity.

Personally, I think that Wing-T offense stinks. That offense is to predictable. There is 1 good running back in that system and you know where he is about to go. If he's lined up right, he's going to go left and vise versa. Who can't figure that out. The quarterback looked real bad. That doesn't help a Wing-T offense because other teams know you are not going to pass. Teams will stack 8 men on the line and say beat us. That Maryville scrimmage should have been a lesson learned. They came out in multiple sets and took it to Oak Ridge on the home turf. They were never predictable!!!

Let's get back to Oak Ridge Football. Put Booker in the I-formation and give him the ball 20+ times, I'll guarantee you'll get results.

Former Wildcat

Posted by peniroo:
Posted by jedave30:

Former Wildcat

My son who started for the freshman team last year is 5th string. Figure that one out!

I dont know a lot about offensive formations however, I have followed OR Football for 30+ years now. The wing T seems to be a big play offensive and is hard to sustain a drive with it. It is almost impossible to score inside the red zone. I might be wrong but that is what I have noticed watching OR run it for the past 5 or so years. CHANGE BACK TO THE I PITCH IT TO CORY AND SPENCER AND WATCH THEM GO!!!

You had mentioned Concord De LaSalle and Cleveland running the Wing-T formation. Yes, I did consider the Wing-T to be a good formation in the middle to late 80's. What has that offense done for them lately? Now days, defense are a lot smarter. Back then, that was a formation that was hard to figure out. Now since time has prgress, defenses have learned how to stop it. You can't run a Wing-T with one good running back and it's showing. Yes that one running back may get his yards, but what about the other running backs. One man can't be you.

Posted by rabidwildcatfan:

I don't completely understand your post. You want to be unpredictable, but end by saying put Booker in the I-formation and give him the ball 20+ times. These two don't exactly mesh. :confused:

I think Oak Ridge looked better this past Friday. Part of it was the competition, but part is also the coaches' willingness to play some of the younger players that are talented. This should eventually lead to the most talented players being on the field.

I am not fond of the Wing-T either. But it is worth noting that Concord De LaSalle has the national record for winning streaks while running the Wing-T. Cleveland also won several championships with it under Benny Monroe.

The problem is not the formation in and of itself. The problem is that Oak Ridge is forcing its players into a system rather than molding the system around the players' talents.