Feeder Programs

In Hoc Signo Vinces

This is a hard question for a couple reasons. Feeder programs are defined not only by their success on the youth level but the success of the young ones at the High School level. There are programs that are constantly top notch from 1st-8th grade; Soddy, Wave, Baylor, OLPH, and Sharpshooters come to mind.

If I had to make a guess I would say.

1. Baylor- Year end and year out they have a very competitive team and we all know the High School success

2. Sharpshooters-Blackman- They have a deep competitive youth program and we are starting to see the results with Blackman's sophomore stable or wrestlers

3. A toss up between Wave, Soddy, OLPH, and others. They all have there years and the High School coaches make great wrestlers with and without the support of the youth program.

Cox hit the nail on the head. It is a little variable year to year. If you looked at the long term answer you might get a different set than looking at the shorter term as there are some making large strides quickly right now.

Cox got most of the big players I would think. I know two missing are Nashville Catholic Wrestling (long term success here) and Cleveland Middle School (recent huge strides here).

I for one will not get into a ranking or order (for many reasons) mainly because these teams do not actually compete against each other often enough to do it. There are individuals who compete a lot but tough to judge a program on individuals (even if the program consistently outputs great individuals). There are a lot of reasons for this mainly being geographical and seasonal.

What if you were look strickly at numbers of active wrestlers in these programs? I'm curious to see how big these programs are, and how many kids are in each of them. Not to compare who can beat up who, but rather looking at how much the numbers can impact the future of the HS programs.

The success of any high school wrestling program is their middle school feeder team. IMO, it's a must for the middle school coaching staff to "TEACH FUNDAMENTALS" and have the boy's ready when they enter high school so that they are able to compete at the varsity level. If the kids know the fundamentals of wrestling the high school coach will be able to polish them so that they have the opportunity to compete for championships. Another positive is for the middle school staff and high school coach to all be on the same page as to what style and techniques will be used. The last thing is having the funds to travel so that the kids have the opportunity to compete against the best kids in the country. Middle school programs are now traveling to places like the Big Horn Nationls (Colorado), Dixie Nationals (Atlanta), Liberty Nationals (Kansas City), Northeast Nationals (PA) and the Ohio Tournament of Champions just to name a few. Many of these kids are very experienced and have wrestled 200+ matches before they enter their freshmen year of high school.

The success of any high school wrestling program is their middle school feeder team. IMO, it's a must for the middle school coaching staff to "TEACH FUNDAMENTALS" and have the boy's ready when they enter high school so that they are able to compete at the varsity level. If the kids know the fundamentals of wrestling the high school coach will be able to polish them so that they have the opportunity to compete for championships. Another positive is for the middle school staff and high school coach to all be on the same page as to what style and techniques will be used. The last thing is having the funds to travel so that the kids have the opportunity to compete against the best kids in the country. Middle school programs are now traveling to places like the Big Horn Nationls (Colorado), Dixie Nationals (Atlanta), Liberty Nationals (Kansas City), Northeast Nationals (PA) and the Ohio Tournament of Champions just to name a few. Many of these kids are very experienced and have wrestled 200+ matches before they enter their freshmen year of high school.

Definitely don't discount the Tulsa Nationals either. TN had two medalists from two of the clubs mentioned at the Tulsa Kick-off last weekend.

Other areas I have seen middle school kids from TN getting valuable experience includes the AAU National Duals, USAW Schoolboy Duals, USAW Nationals (representatives in folk, free, and greco), and the Tulsa / Cliff Keen series of events. You have to keep a balance but seeing that level of competition throughout the year really changes things for the wrestlers.

Having all of the various coaching staffs on the same page is extremely difficult but you can't overestimate the importance that single act has.

The success of any high school wrestling program is their middle school feeder team. IMO, it's a must for the middle school coaching staff to "TEACH FUNDAMENTALS" and have the boy's ready when they enter high school so that they are able to compete at the varsity level. If the kids know the fundamentals of wrestling the high school coach will be able to polish them so that they have the opportunity to compete for championships.

Good points cbg!

This thread is about programs, but I'm going to throw my opinion in with respect to individual wrestlers. I think the top kids learned the fundamentals way before middle school. I would bet most of them started in early elementary school in a youth program. There are certainly exceptions like Dean Pavlou, but I think they are rare.

Back to middle school program talk...

Good points cbg!

This thread is about programs, but I'm going to throw my opinion in with respect to individual wrestlers. I think the top kids learned the fundamentals way before middle school. I would bet most of them started in early elementary school in a youth program. There are certainly exceptions like Dean Pavlou, but I think they are rare.

Back to middle school program talk...

Add Brandon Wright to the list with Mr. Pavlou. But they are indeed rare these days.

And congrats to jakesdad's son on his UTC scholly