Mitchell vs DL again.

Galilee

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man...after reading all these posts from cluelessking...... I guess I had bad information because I swore DL took home the GOLD ball last year....not Mitchell....but it looks like we were all wrong.

You have five losses already so don't make it seems like DL is playing the Titans. You can be scored on and obviously you can be beat.

Look at Sheffield.....they were a decent team but not great..... and they knocked you off...so what great weapons did they use on you?

You throw the ball 40 times gainst this DL bunch and it will be...pick ...pick..pick.....and some of them run back all the way.

Until you actually beat DL ....you can't lay claim to squat. The Mustangs are still the champs. I put Giles right behind them. Everyone of those so-called powerhouses that beat you got knocked off early in the playoffs. Your region has FOUR yeams....what kind of a deal is that? You should have come up here and played in this region for some real tests.

Still waiting to hear of ANY major road victory in Football over 100 miles from your place.

Did you look on your map to find out where Nashville is located?....or at least have someone show you.

Besides Talent in this game, you should look at Discipline as well.

you may want to have several of handkercheifs and shoulders available !

You mean shields from the flying helmets. I heard those "new additions" to your team do have enough arm strength to get the helmets to the 3rd or 4th row with a running start

Mitchell's band is the best Memphis band I have ever seen . . . (I actually think they ARE better than Melrose) Their football team is even better. Mitchell is different than most Memphis teams/schools. They actually have fans at away games, their band and cheerleaders actually go to away games, they ARE well coached, and they have a kicking game. It will be an interesting game to see, but I think Mitchell may upset DL.

i seem to recall mitchell going for two everytime they scored against lipscomb last year. I also seem to recall lipscomb shutting them down everytime!!!!!!!!!

If you were at the game, you know Mitchell was the better team. However, the better team did not win on that night ( Nov. 30th) yeah we have kept that night in our heads for an entire year. Mitchell pushed DL up and down the field. The freshman RB 6'2 225 lbs had 167 yds rushing. Oh and by the way he is back and he is bigger, faster, stronger, and might I add still p.i.s.s.e.d. He has over 1300 rushing this year splitting time with some new weapons that were acquired after the season last year that you guys didn't see. So get ready, because it will go down on Friday. Don't expect the same team and outcome from last year ! In our minds this is the state championship ! It's business and personal this time.

I have no dog in this hunt, however I do believe DL WILL STOP the Mitchell running attack much as DHS did Friday night..size doesnt matter when a Team has the heart,discipline as DL plays every down..DL WILL STOP the Mitchell air assault whch was DHS downfall along with supposely on-field non-factors that kept the ball constantly in Mitchells hand in the second half..IMO Mitchell is not better than last years team.

I guess I will be the one to change your name to "cluelesshighschoolking"

I am from Page which is in Region 5-3a and we play in DL's region. I have always supported Region 5 when my team got eliminated and that goes back to when Greenbrier was in our region. We have knocked off the winner from your area FIVE years in a row.....and ..oh yeah...this Region is located in MIDDLE TN around Nashville..please check your map or have someone show you where it is.

I'm assuming when you say "We" above you actually mean David Lipscomb, not Page...

Being in a region with a great team doesn't make it a great region, it just means its a region with a great team.

If you were at the game, you know Mitchell was the better team. However, the better team did not win on that night ( Nov. 30th) yeah we have kept that night in our heads for an entire year. Mitchell pushed DL up and down the field. The freshman RB 6'2 225 lbs had 167 yds rushing. Oh and by the way he is back and he is bigger, faster, stronger, and might I add still p.i.s.s.e.d. He has over 1300 rushing this year splitting time with some new weapons that were acquired after the season last year that you guys didn't see. So get ready, because it will go down on Friday. Don't expect the same team and outcome from last year ! In our minds this is the state championship ! It's business and personal this time.

Acquiring new weapons? Does Mitchell have open zoning or did they find (recruit?) some kids to move into the area?

Keys to the game:

For Mitchell: # of behind the back hand-offs - In 2002, the most sucessful running play of the night of -1 yard came on the well-designed play.

For Lipscomb: As always, the lively leg/foot of #13 Kyle Lehning. The game winning extra point against Giles came after the versatile Lehning caught the TD pass. My friends, #13 is Al Del Greco + Eric Berry + Wes Welker.

Man...after reading all these posts from cluelessking...... I guess I had bad information because I swore DL took home the GOLD ball last year....not Mitchell....but it looks like we were all wrong.

You have five losses already so don't make it seems like DL is playing the Titans. You can be scored on and obviously you can be beat.

Look at Sheffield.....they were a decent team but not great..... and they knocked you off...so what great weapons did they use on you?

You throw the ball 40 times gainst this DL bunch and it will be...pick ...pick..pick.....and some of them run back all the way.

Until you actually beat DL ....you can't lay claim to squat. The Mustangs are still the champs. I put Giles right behind them. Everyone of those so-called powerhouses that beat you got knocked off early in the playoffs. Your region has FOUR yeams....what kind of a deal is that? You should have come up here and played in this region for some real tests.

Still waiting to hear of ANY major road victory in Football over 100 miles from your place.

Did you look on your map to find out where Nashville is located?....or at least have someone show you.

Besides Talent in this game, you should look at Discipline as well.

You mean shields from the flying helmets. I heard those "new additions" to your team do have enough arm strength to get the helmets to the 3rd or 4th row with a running start

Actually, there are 5 teams in region 8, not four so check your facts. Besides, these schools play in the region TSSAA tells them too

Also, the #4 seed from Region 8 beat McNairy by almost the same score Region 5's #2 seed did in the playoffs, since you have a tendency to want to look at things on a Region basis, as opposed to team vs. team. Am I implying 8 is better than 5, no, I'm just putting it out there for comparison purposes since you obviously have a low opinion of region 8

Regarding Mitchell winning 100 miles away from home, they actually did that last week at Dyersburg, so what's your point?

I remember when Lipscomb was in our half of the state before they ran to the west to find some weaker teams to play. They had to go hide from Tyner and Alcoa. If they were still in the east they would never get past the second round. White House is good...but will be no match for Catholic. Mitchell is a Tyner wanna be but will not be able to go to Lipscomb and win. They are big and fast but my opinion the western teams are just not as skilled as east teams. I am going to pick Lipscomb in a tight one...but again they are playing for second place....I am going to say Lipscomb better bring more than daily chapel to this game....the power of the rosary...will over power them...

While David Lipscomb is very good, I am not ready to crown them yet.

There are clearly chinks in their armor, but they are small and you have to attack them deliberatly.

David Lipscomb's line of scrimmage (offensive and defensive) is not as good as it has been in the past. If you look at game that DL has struggled in over the past few years (Goodpasture, Fulton, Bolivar, Giles). You will see teams that run not throw. You will also see that the teams don't run wide, but rather right at them. Why is this successful? Because DL tends to be undersized up front. Most of the time they are slanting those front three to make up for their lack of size. The problem with beating them is that their linebackers and secondary are very good. It is a requirement that you be 6'3 and 200lbs to be a Mustang linebacker. Evan Webb, Michael Saggio, and Ben Brewer have a ton of experience.

If you throw... don't throw it deep. Rogers is lurking back there and Kyle Lehning is good as well. You have to be content with running the ball, running the clock, and a steady intermediate passing game.

Offensivley Lipscomb is a machine. Their play execution is outstanding and cannot be prepared for in a week's time. You have to have already been exposed to their system to have any chance of defending them for an entire game (Mitchell should be okay here in that they played them last year and obviously defended them well). But DL also has a couple of chinks on offense. The offensive guards are only around 200lbs so they won't be able to bring much punch once they get to you. They rely on timing and quickness. If Mitchell has a big, fast, front seven it could cause DL problems. Also, DL primary ball carrier is only a sophomore. Although he is good; he is still just a sophomore. Rogers is a threat to go all the way any time he touches the ball, but he can be taken away (Giles proved this last game). Saggio is a great linebacker, but just okay as a runner. Simpson is a talent at quarterback, but the system doesn't call for him to do too much. Lehning is a great second option at receiver, but I wouldn't call Lipscomb's passing game very sophisticated.

I had better stop, because I am starting to convince myself that Lipscomb can be easily beat... they can't. You have to take care of the ball and not commit penalties. Also, you have to keep playing your game regardless of how good or bad you are playing. Example: Last year Bolivar came out and blasted DL... for 1 quarter. Then they got all happy with themselves and lost focus... DL came back. Then they quit doing what had given them success and DL blew them out.

I don't know much about Mitchell other than they almost beat DL last year. How much did you lose off of that team? What are the strengths of your team this year?

When naming the teams the Mustangs have stuggled against I would replave Bolivar with Mitchell from last year. When Lipscomb played Bolivar in the quarter finals last year Bolivar to the lead early 14-0. But after that the Mustangs scored 38 unanswered points before Bolivar scored a meaningless touchdown at the end of the game making the final 38-20. That win was not much of a challenge once the Mustangs got rolling. Mitchell was another story as we all remember.

The refs were biased and everyone knows it. Mitchell's coaching can take alot of the blame in that loss as well. I did not agree or condone the behavior of a few of the players after the game. My hats went off to DL, because I love their never say die attitude and fight. Any other team would have quit in the 4th quarter when Mitchell was leading 18 - 6. DL is a great team from a mental standpoint and I applaud the coachng staff for having them mentally prepared. I will say this year's Mitchell team is more talented than the team from last year.

The refs were in no way biased towards the Mustangs. They would have no reason to be because they were not from region 5. Blaming a loss on the play calling is a poor excuse. Also, the score was never 18-6. The score at the half was 6-6 and the Mustangs struck first in the 2nd half. They led the majority of the game untill about 3 or 4 minutes into the 4th quarter when Mitchell took the lead. Even though it was close Lipscomb still for the most part controlled the game. They scored at the end of the game and Mitchell had time to answer. The dispute at the end of the game was not one that was valid in any way. A player is not permitted to re spot the ball the ref must do that. Had Mitchell let the ref do that they would have gotten one more play off. I doubt it would have meant anything but still they would have had that chance. You CAN NOT blame the refs for that loss. However, that was a year ago and the past is gone. The future is this Friday and I cant wait to see what it has in store.