All-Mid State Soccer Team Announced

DonCChatt

The Tennessean just came out with the post season Soccer honors....

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20081126...-1/PREPSFACTORY

Player of the Year - Susannah Dennis, Senior, Forward, BGA, Committed to Georgia

1st Team -

Lucy Brient, Senior, Forward, Franklin, Committed to Arkansas State

Kara Parkley, Senior, Forward, Brentwood Academy

Kat Nigro, Sophomore, Midfielder, Livingston Academy

Dana Schwartz, Senior, Midfielder, Brentwood, Committed to Vanderbilt

Kaitlyn Smith, Senior, Midfielder, FRA, Committed to Alabama

Brianna Jezek, Senior, Defender, Ravenwood

Leah Loven, Sophomore, Defender, JPII

Lucy Pater, Sophomore, Defender, Brentwood

Brandi Phillips, Senior, Defender, Siegel, Committed to Belmont

Sydney Dewberry, Senior, Goalkeeper, Siegel

Coach of the Year - Eric Shelton, Siegel

2nd Team

F Cailin Harris, Fr., Pope John Paul II

F Tory Pitts, Sr., FRA

F Becca Smith, Sr., Riverdale

M Kim Conrad, Sr., Siegel

M Katie Lowder, Sr., Brentwood

M Kate Maguigan, So., Page

M Courtney Rymer, Sr., Father Ryan

D Townley Cheek, Sr., Franklin

D Amy Maksimowicz, So., CPA

D Hannah Phillips, Sr., Brentwood

G Savannah Shipman, Jr., Brentwood

3rd TEAM

F Morgan Crofford, Jr., FRA

F Rachel Mayes, Jr., Father Ryan

F Christi Padgett, Fr., Ravenwood

F Hayley Sloan, Sr., Siegel

M Molly Johnson, Jr., Brentwood Acad.

M Hannah McGowen, Jr., Riverdale

M Morgan Zigelsky, Jr., Franklin

D Erin Blair, Sr., Father Ryan

D Stacia Lee, Sr., Beech

D Kirby Towry, So., Siegel

G Megan Grindstaff, So, BGA

This is my first time with this so called All Midstate team. If you are not from Williamson or Davidison or Rutherford county, you don't have a chance. That selection of only those counties is a joke. The sad part is that it took up all of page 4 in The Tennessean. Kayla Warren not even 3rd team, give me a break. The goalie from Tullahoma, not even mentioned, pitiful. I feel sorry for all the other girls from middle tennessee who didn't get any recognition.

This is my first time with this so called All Midstate team. If you are not from Williamson or Davidison or Rutherford county, you don't have a chance. That selection of only those counties is a joke. The sad part is that it took up all of page 4 in The Tennessean. Kayla Warren not even 3rd team, give me a break. The goalie from Tullahoma, not even mentioned, pitiful. I feel sorry for all the other girls from middle tennessee who didn't get any recognition.

Unfortunately, there are many quality players omitted from the list. However, you have to look at the ones that did make the list and then question who should they replace. And the success of the team they play for is also a factor. Soccer teams were very strong from Williamson,Davidson and Rutherford counties this year, hard to argue that.

Unfortunately, there are many quality players omitted from the list. However, you have to look at the ones that did make the list and then question who should they replace. And the success of the team they play for is also a factor. Soccer teams were very strong from Williamson,Davidson and Rutherford counties this year, hard to argue that.

I can argue that. Then what you are saying, since these teams had good years, is they should name it the"all mid state with good records award." You know its a joke, you know the people who vote for the all mid state teams haven't even come close to seeing all the girls from the mid state play.

Not trying to argue the validity of the list. The article says that the list is compiled by Tennessean sports writers based on personal observations and coaches opinions as well as performances at the state tournament. IMO this would be a difficult task since the list combines the public schools in all divisions as well as the private schools in the midstate. Most people wouldn't see all these teams since many of them don't even play each other except possibly in preseason or a tournament like Katie Hunter early in the season.

IMO its a pretty good list. Sure, there are a few changes I would make, but to say its a joke isn't fair to those players that were named. Congratulate the ones that were named and suggest players you would add.

The Mid-State easily has the most depth of any part of the state, so this list is probably the hardest. It is also hard for a great player on an average team to make the list. Kat Nigro, Livingston Academy, is one obvious exception, though her reputation and being on the National U15 team probably has more to do with it than anything.

Without any doubt, there are deserving people who don't get recognized outside of their own team, district, etc. If a great player's team has limited/no opportunities to play against the "name" teams in the region, it's very difficult for their talent to be observed/compared. Anybody of above average talent can look great on a weak team; the better measure of their skill is when they play against a great team, and they still shine.

I knew very few of the players on the list, so I can't say whether or not somebody should not be on the list.

Was anbody surprised with the Player of the Year pick? She is a great player, and I saw her play last year in the State Tournament, but didn't see her this year. Didn't know is she had a POY season this year or not.

I know from talking to a couple of the Tennessean writers before the team was selected that every coach in Middle Tennessee received an e-mail before the girls soccer state championship games asking for nominations. This e-mail list was very accurate and was something their prep editor put together during the year. That e-mail asked each coach to list the top five forwards, midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers they saw this year. It also allowed coaches to nominate their own players and state why they thought their players were Midstate worthy. Over 100 players were nominated for the 33 spots listed.

I know from talking to a couple of the Tennessean writers before the team was selected that every coach in Middle Tennessee received an e-mail before the girls soccer state championship games asking for nominations. This e-mail list was very accurate and was something their prep editor put together during the year. That e-mail asked each coach to list the top five forwards, midfielders, defenders and goalkeepers they saw this year. It also allowed coaches to nominate their own players and state why they thought their players were Midstate worthy. Over 100 players were nominated for the 33 spots listed.

That seems a little odd. The list that was generated then should be the Coaches All-State Team, and if I am not mistaken, there already is one. The Tennessean writers see an opportunity to recognize female athletes, but can't seem to get from behind their desk to watch them play, all but a state tournament and a couple of publicized rivalries? Why don't they just call it what it is...it was mentioned above.

On another note. Sooz, congrats. Well deserved. Coaches, Writers, whoever. Your a cut above.

While someone is not going to like anyway its done, this process seems extremely fair and to have that many noiminated speaks well for the sport in Middle Tennessee