4A State Championship Game

FBEmeritus

Well everything is shaping up like normal. Maryville has another undefeated season, a birth in the SC game to continue history and a team they beat soundly about every year gets more hyped up press front page press. I open today??™s paper, or should I say the Maryville Daily Mullet Wrap thinking I might find a few stories about The Rebels. But nope, it's all Alcoa all the time, again this year. Nice pic on the front page of the tornados lifting last years 2A gold ball and there is no doubt the number five in a row is just hours away in another cake walk. But the most storied Football Program in the state of Tennessee gets one story about two brothers on the MHS team. OK story, but not even close to quality any coverage of the Rebels. In fact most of the Rebel coverage was about how fast Hillsboro is! We got it, how about our kids?

I wish Alcoa well but they are not the program Maryville has been over the past 10 years, but then again no one has been. Maybe tomorrow??™s paper will have a story or two about the Rebels. I am breaking with tradition and will watch the Alcoa game on TV at home tonight before heading out for the Rebel game. I don't expect the 2A game to be much of a contest again but more like a track meet. Alcoa seems to have peaked well again and the ole' been there factor is really a plus for the two Blount County teams. I expect the Tornados to win handly.

Murphy Fair gave the Rebels a decent story on his web page but even he is picking Hillsboro. (Again) Even though he picked Henry Co to be there tomorrow night. He also picked Alcoa.

Too bad Maryville doesn??™t have a quality paper like Greenville, Elizabethton or Morristown. They all have a better local paper than Maryville does. Travel safe everyone.

Same problem here in Nashville for HHS man. Both the Tennessean and even the Nashville City Paper (which really tends to support HHS more often than not) picked us to lose to Henry County and again pick us to lose to Maryville tomorrow. Why? Because we lost to Franklin and MBA by a combined 11 points in the first 4 weeks of the season? Anywho, HHS can relate a little bit to feeling slighted by the local media. Just gotta keep proving them wrong over and over I guess.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same problem here in Nashville for HHS man. Both the Tennessean and even the Nashville City Paper (which really tends to support HHS more often than not) picked us to lose to Henry County and again pick us to lose to Maryville tomorrow. Why? Because we lost to Franklin and MBA by a combined 11 points in the first 4 weeks of the season? Anywho, HHS can relate a little bit to feeling slighted by the local media. Just gotta keep proving them wrong over and over I guess.

Nothing is more motivating for a team than this.

If it makes you feel any better, that exact reason has caused me quite a bit of concern as to the outcome of this game.

I've talked to many players on the team, and they feel the same way FBEmeritus. One player said "We beat them, but they get the front page." I've noticed that Alcoa does get most of the stories

BUT, I feel like it's almost a good thing. Keeps the focus off the Rebels. And pressure to a minimum. If that's even possible.

Rebels: 38

HHS: 17

I've talked to many players on the team, and they feel the same way FBEmeritus. One player said "We beat them, but they get the front page." I've noticed that Alcoa does get most of the stories

BUT, I feel like it's almost a good thing. Keeps the focus off the Rebels. And pressure to a minimum. If that's even possible.

Rebels: 38

HHS: 17

Maryville will NOT score 38 on this defense. 28 would be freak luck.

well at least you guys get ink time.. in nashville.. very rare to see other metro schools in the paper ..and if you do most of the time its for something negative. so if you feeling slighted by the local media ..then there is no word for the way other schools feel ..its like they are not even here. thanks media

!!

anyway ...good luck to everyone from 1A to 5A play hard have fun be safe.. and as much as it pains me ..ive been battling all week with this ..and it all boils down to the old region54a go out as champs ...someone needs to knock that beast from the east off its feet ..and none better to do it, than the donkey rats with a kick in the rear by a big ole yellow and green jack@ss!! on that note.. go burros! ..ahh that hurt!!

Go Alcoa!! much more class than Maryville.

well at least you guys get ink time.. in nashville.. very rare to see other metro schools in the paper ..and if you do most of the time its for something negative. so if you feeling slighted by the local media ..then there is no word for the way other schools feel ..its like they are not even here. thanks media

!!

anyway ...good luck to everyone from 1A to 5A play hard have fun be safe.. and as much as it pains me ..ive been battling all week with this ..and it all boils down to the old region54a go out as champs ...someone needs to knock that beast from the east off its feet ..and none better to do it, than the donkey rats with a kick in the rear by a big ole yellow and green jack@ss!! on that note.. go burros! ..ahh that hurt!!

Thanks for the support boski, but with all due respect, I'm not so sure I like the fact that you are supporting HHS in this game....Seems like whatever team gets boksi's vote of confidence ends up losing. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Btw, I haven't seen anything but class and respect from the entire Maryville community. Like I have said before, the only thing I dislike about Maryville is:

2001, 2002, 2006 4A State Championship games. It's a simple frustration over how good they have been and how close HHS has been.

I never said Maryville was the third team in the state, Roadwarrior6 did..You can jump on me, but make sure you have your facts straight .

How do they win 15 games a year? By staying in 4 A. even though for years they have been a 5 A school. Let's not get too hyped up about a few cupcake wins.

So, can you support your 5A argument with numbers?

!!

Boski

Agree with you that most associated with Alcoa program have class. Just curious though - why in your eyes do they have "much more class than Maryville"?