4A State Championship Game

FBEmeritus

MHS,

My friend, although you know I grew up a "county" boy and will always be one, I will never be a Maryville "hater" because of people like you. Jealous sometimes? Probably. Want to beat the Rebels everytime we (Governors) play them in anything? Absolutely. But a hater? Never. Folks like you, StarsnBars, RebelDad, RebelRon, Pep Vol and several others are "salt of the earth" in my book. Thanks for representing your school and our community well.

Your Friend,

Govman

P.S. The Govs currently hold a longer winning streak than Maryville. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> (that's a joke for anyone getting ready to lynch me!!!)

HAHA , Good one Govman ... The Govs are definitely on a roll ! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Good luck to you guys next year , I'm sure with Meadows back , there will be a lot more excitement In Gov land this year .

rollredroll , I agree with everything you say , but that " tunnel vision " you talk about seems to become a microscope when It's viewed from the other side . Winning 74 games in a row would be nearly Impossible for any team in any classification to do . Everybody was shocked to see Maryville lose , but we all knew our limitations this year , this was definitely a down year , and 3 points away from a state championship Isn't too bad for a down year . What amazes me though Is how many fans get jealous and come out of the woodwork when a school other than their own gets some attention . I've seen so many attacks over the last few years from people who usually don't attack other teams , and apparently If you're not a Maryville fan one forgets all of that . I just can't imagine why someone would get jealous of another team getting some attention . It doesn't bother me in the least when I see a school like MBA being ranked ahead of us in some national poll .

I've seen fans from nearly every school ( yes , MBA too ) get on here and attack the 74 wins in a row by saying things about the competition , Maryville's scared .. wouldn't do that in the big boy league .. won't travel out of state ... scared of the Privates ... you name it , we have heard it over these last few years . When you factor in all of the abuse that Maryville has taken over the last few years , I am very proud of how the majority of the Maryville fans have continued to represent their school with class and dignity .

I will finish with this , sometime in the future some team Is going to get on a roll and maybe put together a streak of wins like Maryville again , they may not reach 74 but that doesn't matter . It also doesn't matter If it's 1A , 2A , 5A , or 6A , the thing Is , whenever It does happen , I promise you , you won't see Maryville fans getting on their threads and picking their schedule , competition , rankings , recruiting , or whatever apart . I have no trouble giving another team made up of High School boys who are playing their hearts out a compliment . The actual LOSER mentality that it must take for a grown adult to put a Microscope on a group of young kids and try their best to find something NEGATIVE about them when they have some success through hard work ... just does not register with me .

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rollredroll , I agree with everything you say , but that " tunnel vision " you talk about seems to become a microscope when It's viewed from the other side . Winning 74 games in a row would be nearly Impossible for any team in any classification to do . Everybody was shocked to see Maryville lose , but we all knew our limitations this year , this was definitely a down year , and 3 points away from a state championship Isn't too bad for a down year . What amazes me though Is how many fans get jealous and come out of the woodwork when a school other than their own gets some attention . I've seen so many attacks over the last few years from people who usually don't attack other teams , and apparently If you're not a Maryville fan one forgets all of that . I just can't imagine why someone would get jealous of another team getting some attention. It doesn't bother me in the least when I see a school like MBA being ranked ahead of us in some national poll .

It's hard to determine intent on a message board. With that said, I have never had a problem with any other school getting attention (in fact, I'll bet if you look at time stamps, I was the first to draw attention to the ESPN sighting Saturday night, which I noted solely as a positive for recognition of football in this state - and neither to promote HHS's win nor MHS's loss). I just cringe when I see bold claims - there's one on here referencing "the most storied football program in Tennessee" (as if the poster has been counting stories?), or posts like the one I responded to today ("I'm kinda mad that Maryville lost. I mean, it was kinda like they were representatives of Tennessee on the national high school scene"). Yes, I know posts like these are few and far between, but they are short-sighted, if not borderline insulting.

Granted, I know there is a young generation of posters on this site whose awareness of history might not go back beyond a decade, but there are so many programs in this state (e.g., Chattanooga Central's national traveling show in the mid-1900's, the aforementioned mythical title teams of THS and Baylor in the 70s, the Brentwood Academy teams of the 80s that were widely regarded as a major Southern power, etc.) who have helped make a name for this state over time on a national level (and even within the aforementioned last decade, which almost make youth not an excuse) that any posts that single out one school are going to draw attention - with me at least.

Long story short, for me, it has never been about stealing and taking over the spotlight as much as it is making sure it is shared, as it rightfully should be. Yes, most posters (yourself included) don't have a problem with this, but you would think some posters on this site have never read any threads but their own or read any newspaper articles outside of their own geographic area by the way obvious and widely-noted and regarded accomplishments and milestones of others are overlooked. Maybe I'm just a degenerate HS football fan who follows too much of all the regions of the state across all of the classifications, and shouldn't expect others to be as much of a degenerate as me, but the close-mindedness on here can be baffling at times.

By the way, I've said this before and I'll say it again (and as an MBA fan, it pains me to say it). And I'll even put the needed disclaimer out there my experience alone does not necessarily make the following fact or fiction. Nevertheless, when Tennessee high school football is thought of by those outisde of this state, Brentwood Academy is still the face (or "most storied" to use FBE's phrase) of Tennessee high school football - at least in my dealing with a wide variety of fans and media who make inquiries through my website. It's not surprising in the sense of the greatness of those BA teams in the '80s and mid-'90s, but given the fact that some of that legend is due to "the lawsuit", and the fact that some other programs in this state in the past decade have made "national" strides of their own, one would think BA's star would be losing luster. It hasn't. BA is still largely the first school to come out of someone's mouth in my dealings when getting a barometer of Tennessee high school football. Just food for thought; take it or leave it.

It's hard to determine intent on a message board. With that said, I have never had a problem with any other school getting attention (in fact, I'll bet if you look at time stamps, I was the first to draw attention to the ESPN sighting Saturday night, which I noted solely as a positive for recognition of football in this state - and neither to promote HHS's win nor MHS's loss). I just cringe when I see bold claims - there's one on here referencing "the most storied football program in Tennessee" (as if the poster has been counting stories?), or posts like the one I responded to today ("I'm kinda mad that Maryville lost. I mean, it was kinda like they were representatives of Tennessee on the national high school scene"). Yes, I know posts like these are few and far between, but they are short-sighted, if not borderline insulting.

Granted, I know there is a young generation of posters on this site whose awareness of history might not go back beyond a decade, but there are so many programs in this state (e.g., Chattanooga Central's national traveling show in the mid-1900's, the aforementioned mythical title teams of THS and Baylor in the 70s, the Brentwood Academy teams of the 80s that were widely regarded as a major Southern power, etc.) who have helped make a name for this state over time on a national level (and even within the aforementioned last decade, which almost make youth not an excuse) that any posts that single out one school are going to draw attention - with me at least.

Long story short, for me, it has never been about stealing and taking over the spotlight as much as it is making sure it is shared, as it rightfully should be. Yes, most posters (yourself included) don't have a problem with this, but you would think some posters on this site have never read any threads but their own or read any newspaper articles outside of their own geographic area by the way obvious and widely-noted and regarded accomplishments and milestones of others are overlooked. Maybe I'm just a degenerate HS football fan who follows too much of all the regions of the state across all of the classifications, and shouldn't expect others to be as much of a degenerate as me, but the close-mindedness on here can be baffling at times.

By the way, I've said this before and I'll say it again (and as an MBA fan, it pains me to say it). And I'll even put the needed disclaimer out there my experience alone does not necessarily make the following fact or fiction. Nevertheless, when Tennessee high school football is thought of by those outisde of this state, Brentwood Academy is still the face (or "most storied" to use FBE's phrase) of Tennessee high school football - at least in my dealing with a wide variety of fans and media who make inquiries through my website. It's not surprising in the sense of the greatness of those BA teams in the '80s and mid-'90s, but given the fact that some of that legend is due to "the lawsuit", and the fact that some other programs in this state in the past decade have made "national" strides of their own, one would think BA's star would be losing luster. It hasn't. BA is still largely the first school to come out of someone's mouth in my dealings when getting a barometer of Tennessee high school football. Just food for thought; take it or leave it.

As usual, very well said, and dead on. It's interesting that you mention Chatt. Central: I served on an FDLE committee last year with a gentleman who had played on the '65 Gainesville team that beat them in Chattanooga. He had a very clear recall of the game. He's a big Gator fan, and endeared himself to me by mentioning that he thought Ingle Martin got a bad deal.

I'm not sure I'd call you a degenerate, but we probably ought to try to get you a life of some sort. Do you think you might get interested in girls at some point?

I'll be up there in mid-January hoping to catch an MBA hockey game. Hope to see you then.

I'm not sure I'd call you a degenerate, but we probably ought to try to get you a life of some sort. Do you think you might get interested in girls at some point?

I'll be up there in mid-January hoping to catch an MBA hockey game. Hope to see you then.

I hear good things about girls. I'll try anything at least once (including high school hockey) . /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Now, hold on a second. My intent was never to insult any other schools(as a SD fan, that wouldn't make a ton of sense, now would it?). If I did, I'm sorry, but to me, Maryville has represented the state better than anyone else. I have a ton of respect for the schools like BA, MBA, MUS, and Baylor. I respect each and every one of those schools, and everything they've done(yes, I'm very familiar with each school, and the traditions they have). But, I still stick to my guns that Maryville has been the representatives for the state of Tennessee, at least over the last 5-10 years, if not more.

Now, hold on a second. My intent was never to insult any other schools(as a SD fan, that wouldn't make a ton of sense, now would it?). If I did, I'm sorry, but to me, Maryville has represented the state better than anyone else. I have a ton of respect for the schools like BA, MBA, MUS, and Baylor. I respect each and every one of those schools, and everything they've done(yes, I'm very familiar with each school, and the traditions they have). But, I still stick to my guns that Maryville has been the representatives for the state of Tennessee, at least over the last 5-10 years, if not more.

Differences of opinion are allowed; I don't have a problem with that. And I certainly would not argue that Maryville has been a representative (and excellent one) of Tennessee HS football for the past 5-10 years. However, to imply MHS is the only representative diminishes the "national" accolades that other programs in the state have acheived in the same period, either through their own national rankings, or even through actual games played (and some won) versus other nationally-prominent, out-of-state programs (and in some cases, very highly-ranked ones and/or former national champions).

I'm not trying to stir the pot here (despite appearances) and am only trying to give perspective and draw parallels, but there are other ways of representing one's state other than having your school's name appear in black-and-white in a national newspaper article through a national ranking. What about the teams that have carried the Tennessee flag (mostly figuratively, but in some cases, literally; Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge 2008 would be one example) in actual matchups versus out-of-state powers - something that is a true measure of "representation" and gives a real measuring stick as to how our state matches up?

Differences of opinion are allowed; I don't have a problem with that. And I certainly would not argue that Maryville has been a representative (and excellent one) of Tennessee HS football for the past 5-10 years. However, to imply MHS is the only representative diminishes the "national" accolades that other programs in the state have acheived in the same period, either through their own national rankings, or even through actual games played (and some won) versus other nationally-prominent, out-of-state programs (and in some cases, very highly-ranked ones and/or former national champions).

I'm not trying to stir the pot here (despite appearances) and am only trying to give perspective and draw parallels, but there are other ways of representing one's state other than having your school's name appear in black-and-white in a national newspaper article through a national ranking. What about the teams that have carried the Tennessee flag (mostly figuratively, but in some cases, literally; Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge 2008 would be one example) in actual matchups versus out-of-state powers - something that is a true measure of "representation" and gives a real measuring stick as to how our state matches up?

Again, I say I've got much love for MBA for beating a former national champion, and I've got respect for Brentwood Acad. for having the testicular fortitude to schedule Prattville.

Again, I say I've got much love for MBA for beating a former national champion, and I've got respect for Brentwood Acad. for having the testicular fortitude to schedule Prattville.

And I have much love for the other big games that have occurred, too - A-E versus Independence (NC) in 2001, Germantown (and a couple of other less-prominent Memphis schools) versus South Panola (MS) in 2005-2006, Riverdale versus Kilbourne (OH) in 2005 (for which a return game in TN was not given to RHS), etc.

Speaking of Prattville, I watched the title game replay versus Hoover tonight (16-13 PHS). Prattville has an awesome defense. I find it hard to believe their only loss came to a team that Moeller actually beat.

Glad to hear there's at least another fan of that movie out there.

One of the Tennessee High fans sent me some nice info for that '72 mythical national championship team - roster, team photo, and starters: link. There's also similar info for Baylor's '73 mythical national championshp team here.

Great links thanks! Love looking back at yesteryear. I remember the name David Bibee. Pretty sure he was a pretty good quarterback. Thanks again.

MHS,

My friend, although you know I grew up a "county" boy and will always be one, I will never be a Maryville "hater" because of people like you. Jealous sometimes? Probably. Want to beat the Rebels everytime we (Governors) play them in anything? Absolutely. But a hater? Never. Folks like you, StarsnBars, RebelDad, RebelRon, Pep Vol and several others are "salt of the earth" in my book. Thanks for representing your school and our community well.

Your Friend,

Govman

P.S. The Govs currently hold a longer winning streak than Maryville. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> (that's a joke for anyone getting ready to lynch me!!!)

Now that's funny! My turn....Unlike the Govs, at least Maryville's losing streak matches most of 155 other Div I teams that made the playoffs. (Can't believe you left me off the list of "salt of the earth".) Don't lynch me either!!!

I hear good things about girls. I'll try anything at least once (including high school hockey) . /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Being from MBA in roughly the same era as you, "hearing about girls" was as close to contact as one got. It's much different out there now. There seem to be an awful lot of girls out there once school lets out. And of all things, the concession stand was open for a 7th grade football game. Truly it's a different time.