4A State Championship Game

FBEmeritus

MaryvilleThe referees do not deserve to ref a state championship game, or even a playoff game, ever again. I'm not just talking about the Rebel side either. Their demeaner was poor, they were unorganized, and missed obvious calls.

It may have been refs, but Juhlin and co. had trouble with the 25 second play clock the most they ever had this season. Even costing them a chance to tie with about 5:00 to go. Strange, considering there was a big clock counting it this time, when in normal games, the back judge counts.

According to the TV broadcast I replayed and I watched this morning, those officials were college officials from the Mid-West conference. (Surely Mike Keith was wrong or I misunderstood). Regardless, I think those refs spotted the ball quicker than most which gave the offense problems with delay of game calls and being able to check off.

The stadium play clock went out at some point. When they got the stadium play clock back on, they apparently forgot to tell the referees. There was at least one delay of game penalty that Juhlin was looking at an unexpired stadium play clock running down when the back judge called a penalty for delay of game. The BJ pointed to his wrist that he was keeping the play clock on this wrist watch. GQ was not happy that the stadium was running too...obviously not in sync with the BJ's wrist watch. At least this one delay of game was caused in part by the poor officiating/stadium management of the game.

However, this did not cost the Rebels the game. I'm just trying to explain SOME of the clock management problems the Rebels seemed to have had.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was it just me or did Maryville seem very unorganized

Losing Chris Jordan on the first play hurt the Rebels BIG TIME. It probably added drastically to the seemingly offensively confused Rebels. Hillsboro deserved the win, but MHS had so very few really "outstanding" players, losing the best big time threat they had hurt the offense tons.

The stadium play clock went out at some point. When they got the stadium play clock back on, they apparently forgot to tell the referees. There was at least one delay of game penalty that Juhlin was looking at an unexpired stadium play clock running down when the back judge called a penalty for delay of game. The BJ pointed to his wrist that he was keeping the play clock on this wrist watch. GQ was not happy that the stadium was running too...obviously not in sync with the BJ's wrist watch. At least this one delay of game was caused in part by the poor officiating/stadium management of the game.

Play clocks in high school football are not official; the back judge is correct is noting time to get a play off is kept on the field, not on the play clock.

I do not know to what extent officials remind teams of this rule - not that play clocks are that prevalent in high school football (I know first-hand of only one, non-college high school stadium in Tennessee that has one, although there certainly could be more) - and even if the teams were told this prior to this particular game. And even if the playful clock is unofficial, every effort should be made to sync the play clock with time kept on the field, but I'd say the time to communicate to start a play to the play clock keeper could cause a half-second or second (or even slightly more) delay between the play clock and the field time being kept.

Play clocks in high school football are not official; the back judge is correct is noting time to get a play off is kept on the field, not on the play clock.

I do not know to what extent officials remind teams of this rule - not that play clocks are that prevalent in high school football (I know first-hand of only one, non-college high school stadium in Tennessee that has one, although there certainly could be more) - and even if the teams were told this prior to this particular game. And even if the playful clock is unofficial, every effort should be made to sync the play clock with time kept on the field, but I'd say the time to communicate to start a play to the play clock keeper could cause a half-second or second (or even slightly more) delay between the play clock and the field time being kept.

If this is true, then what you are saying is that the play clocks installed at Farragut this year are meaningless. Moreover, then why would any high school ever install play clocks?

According to the TV broadcast I replayed and I watched this morning, those officials were college officials from the Mid-West conference. (Surely Mike Keith was wrong or I misunderstood). Regardless, I think those refs spotted the ball quicker than most which gave the offense problems with delay of game calls and being able to check off.

However, this did not cost the Rebels the game. I'm just trying to explain SOME of the clock management problems the Rebels seemed to have had.

I thought they said Mid-South Conference. If that's the case, then it is an NAIA collegiate confence composed of maninly Tennessee and Kentucky schools.

I thought (could be wrong) that the backjudge would give a signal at 5 seconds and then count down for the QB at the high school level.

If this is true, then what you are saying is that the play clocks installed at Farragut this year are meaningless. Moreover, then why would any high school ever install play clocks?

For official purposes, yes. It is an amenity, but could be a hindrance if taken for granted as the official time.

Granted, a play clock that is truly in sync with the time kept on the field can be a benefit, as it is easier for a QB to see a large LED clock, even out of peripheral vision, than a back judge counting off the last five seconds of the play clock (which he is supposed to do, as correctly noted by Solomon).

I thought they said Mid-South Conference. If that's the case, then it is an NAIA collegiate confence composed of maninly Tennessee and Kentucky schools.

I thought (could be wrong) that the backjudge would give a signal at 5 seconds and then count down for the QB at the high school level.

You could be right on both accounts. I just remember the announcers saying "Mid (something) Conference". If this is true, why (when so many TSSAA officials are available) is the TSSAA using these guys. They were obviously a very average crew from the game management standpoint.