4A State Championship Game

FBEmeritus

disclaimer: The following are not excuses. They are factors i think went into Maryville losing an AWESOME 4a state championship game to a very deserving Hillsboro. Congrats HHS.

Maryville defense played amazing. Ten points should not lose a game. Great effort

Chris Jordan's injury on the first play took the wind out of the offenses sails. They lost a leader, and a playmaker.

Hillsboro defense did a great job. They kept the MHS offense out of sync all night. MHS could not finish a drive.

Turnovers will lose you your 75th win in a row, and 5th straight state championship. Gotta hold on the that nugget.

The referees do not deserve to ref a state championship game, or even a playoff game, ever again. I'm not just talking about the Rebel side either. Their demeaner was poor, they were unorganized, and missed obvious calls.

It may have been refs, but Juhlin and co. had trouble with the 25 second play clock the most they ever had this season. Even costing them a chance to tie with about 5:00 to go. Strange, considering there was a big clock counting it this time, when in normal games, the back judge counts.

I am so proud of this group of rebels. The loss stings bad right now, but in the near future, 74-1 during a highschool career is nothing to be ashamed of. The loss had to happen sometime, and to be honest i'm glad it was to Hillsboro. They were very classy and won with a lot of honor. I saw lots of hugs in the line to shake hands after the game. I think the respect between these two teams was shown vividly.

Great game MHS, greater game HHS. Best wishes in the future.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

disclaimer: The following are not excuses. They are factors i think went into Maryville losing an AWESOME 4a state championship game to a very deserving Hillsboro. Congrats HHS.

Maryville defense played amazing. Ten points should not lose a game. Great effort

Chris Jordan's injury on the first play took the wind out of the offenses sails. They lost a leader, and a playmaker.

Hillsboro defense did a great job. They kept the MHS offense out of sync all night. MHS could not finish a drive.

Turnovers will lose you your 75th win in a row, and 5th straight state championship. Gotta hold on the that nugget.

The referees do not deserve to ref a state championship game, or even a playoff game, ever again. I'm not just talking about the Rebel side either. Their demeaner was poor, they were unorganized, and missed obvious calls.

It may have been refs, but Juhlin and co. had trouble with the 25 second play clock the most they ever had this season. Even costing them a chance to tie with about 5:00 to go. Strange, considering there was a big clock counting it this time, when in normal games, the back judge counts.

I am so proud of this group of rebels. The loss stings bad right now, but in the near future, 74-1 during a highschool career is nothing to be ashamed of. The loss had to happen sometime, and to be honest i'm glad it was to Hillsboro. They were very classy and won with a lot of honor. I saw lots of hugs in the line to shake hands after the game. I think the respect between these two teams was shown vividly.

Great game MHS, greater game HHS. Best wishes in the future.

Maryville is a great program and your coach is a class person. Don't blame your defeat on the refs.

Do you think that HHS would have produced more points with their leader and playmaker at %100?Just my thoughts..

Congrats to the HHS for knocking off the GIANT and Congrats to MHS for being a GIANT for so long.

A couple more thoughts.....

I hated to see Chris Jordan not be able to compete at the level he normally does. He is a very determined young man and made it back in the game but it was obvious he was not at 100%. He was greatly missed tonight. He is fine young man and I know he wanted to contribute more than he was able to tonight.

Maryville Defense....great job! You kept a very strong HHS offense to 10 points. Not many people outside Maryville predicted that....most thought we would give up 28 or more points. No one else held them to 10 points this season.

I was impressed with Maryville's coach and his player's attitudes after the game. They held that silver ball over their heads just like it was the gold ball.

Quarles was very impressive with his smile and attitude. 74 games is ridiculous no matter the competition. Congrats to both teams.

Do you think that HHS would have produced more points with their leader and playmaker at %100?Just my thoughts..

Congrats to the HHS for knocking off the GIANT and Congrats to MHS for being a GIANT for so long.

Who knows??? He could have had an off night and thrown interceptions and lost fumbles. As rebelscum put in his disclaimer...factors not excuses. Certainly, not having HHS starting QB was also a factor. All of the factors were compounded by the Burro's great play. The Burro's made these factors too difficult to overcome. Hats off to Hillsboro.

Who knows??? He could have had an off night and thrown interceptions and lost fumbles. As rebelscum put in his disclaimer...factors not excuses. Certainly, not having HHS starting QB was also a factor. All of the factors were compounded by the Burro's great play. The Burro's made these factors too difficult to overcome. Hats off to Hillsboro.

It looks like the only rings we Maryville fans are going to have this year are skoal rings in the back pocket of our jeans,

I would like to know where the General is? Did he gt lost with the band? Was the band even there last night?

it was like Spurrier sd after the UT SC game, "i guess they only play when they get a TD"

Hitchrunner. Go back to oak ridge. Or go to some other board. No one, including hillsboro, wants to hear your crap.

Congrats HHS. Well deserved state champs.

I think i was misunderstood and thank you MHS82 for clearin it up. I do not mean to blame the referees. At all. Just thought they were at best average crew. And i think the TSSAA should schedule the best it has for the state championship games. Hillsboro smacked us in the mouth, and played hard nosed fast football. Fair and square.

I don't post on here too often because I try not to get stunk into some of the negativity that goes one but I do enjoy reading these posts.....since this is the last time maryville will have competed in 4A, a class where I was fortunate enough to assemble a few dozes win, I thought id say a thing or two.

First of all, Congratulations to HHS. Ive always said this, if any team deserves to beat maryville its hillsboro. Those guys have fought hard every season, and i know how much hard work goes into one football season, for the golden ball only to play the rebels in the finals and end up just short. So hillsboro this was your time to shine and enjoy every second of it and im sure you will.

My thoughts of the game:

What impressed me with hillsboro more than anything is their overall speed. WOW. Maryville had them beat a couple of times and our player would be all by himself when out of nowhere a hillboro player was right behind him. Any other team would been down a TD but not this hillsboro team. just way too much speed. Another thing that i was impressed by was HHS QB play. Its not what he did do that impressed me so much but what he didnt do. He did not put his team in the hole. He did not make any fancy plays but he also didnt throw INTs around like they were popcorn, which maryville is famous for making the other teams QB do. One player I was not impressed by at all was Gordon. Cooper of Melrose I thought did a much better job against maryville and hes also is doing a pretty good job for the Canes. Gordon just reminds me of Gerald Riggs. Speed YES but the ability to make a big play against a good team just wasnt there. Not trying to take away anything from a great athlete but based on what I saw last night, thats the impression I get.

On the other side of the ball, I think this maryville D just an outstanding job making sure that HHS does not get into the end zone. Hillsboro did score a TD but to hold an offense with so much more speed than you to just one TD is impressive. I know speed is not everything but its alot. When you can run sideline to sideline much faster than your opponent.....that goes a long way. Defense played their hearts out and their effort will not be forgotten when we talk about this game 10-20-30 years from now. What disappointed me more than anything on the rebels side was just they lack of execution. When you have as many penalties and fumbles as we did tonight it makes it hard to compete. Last time maryville lost (Morristown West, 2004 season) it was because of the same thing. TURNOVERS and penalties. This offense did not seem prepared to be in a game of this magnitude. Way too many mistakes. It seemed like "well we've been here before, we've come from behind before, and we'll just do it again this year". Refs did an awful job last night, no doubt about it. I do not think they helped either team. They did not have anything to do with the outcome of the game. But they just blew it last night. NO PUN INTENDED. With that being said, I congratulate both teams. Hillsboro on a great win and Maryville for giving us (fans and former players) something to watch and be excited about on Friday nights. Thank you for a great run, it will take something very special again for any team in the state of tennessee to do what you've done seniors and past seniors. And to be honest, I dont think it will happen anytime soon. Golden Balls will fall into the hands of many teams, but an unbelievable winning streak of

74 of their last 75 games, 113 of their last 115 and 127 of 130 games will NOT be repeated by any team anytime soon. This is a time where we need to sit back and look back on what Maryville has been able to achieve in 4A. Its difficult to look at history while you are making it. Starting Monday, our current and future rebels need to get back into the gym to lift weights, get up at 5am like they've been doing and practice before school. Its a new chapter in Maryville Rebels history and its gonna be a tough road to travel. But just remember, whoever and wherever you are out there.....the road to Murfreesboro STILL travels through Maryville even in 6A, remember that !!!

How do Fulton and Hillsboro compare...Hillsboro is basically in Green Hills, which is nothing like the Fulton area. If anything Hillsboro is still busing in kids, but Green Hills and NE knoxville are nothing alike.

I should have elaborated. I didn't mean that the communities surrounding Hillsboro and Fulton are

similar. I was comparing them athletically and by student ethnicity. Both have had success in more than one

sport (Fulton won the 2007-2008 AA basketball championship and Hillsboro lost in the AAA semifinals

in 2004-2005). Both schools are ethnically diverse, regardless of the methods used for

achieving the diversity.