Who are soccer officials accountable to?

redandblack63

Scout, no sarcasm. We have many young and inexperienced refs who are eagerly trying to help out but are tenative or do not know the rules and the game. "Bless their hearts ..." they are trying and we try to put older more experienced refs with them to encourage and coach them but we are needed for the "tougher" games and that leaves the young guys to have to "root hog or die." We need more knowledgeable people who have a good sense of fairness and ethics who can help instruct these young people. As the sport grows and more players move on past their playing days, hopefully we will see more young knowledgeable people get involved. Until then, we make do with what we have.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bbreftn:

Never said officials should explain a judgement call. But they should explain decidions that may involve the interpretations of the rules. All I ask of an official is to run the game in a positive manner and get the chip off of their shoulder. I see to many officials with an attitude that isnot conducive for developing a positive relationship with coaches or palyers. They come in with a chip on their shoulder, their arrogant, and dicatorial. Matbe that is why many non soccer people I know refer to it as a communist game. As for officilas not knowing the rules, don't they have to take a test. Lets just face it some soccer officials have a bad attitude and need to be run out of the game. All they care about is getting a check to supplement their salary. They need to go to work at the 7-11 and quit destroying a great game.

We were playing in a classic game(boys) in Columbia Sunday and one or two of the kids yelled or whooed at some girls who were on the field during the half and the official came over and gave them yellow cards. One of the officials was the dad of one of the kids who got the card. Is that a normal call? They did not yell out anything ugly. Is this normal?

[Edited by flyer on 9-9-02 8:56P]

Flyer,

Was the ref just kidding around with his son because in select soccer cards can only be given to players. In High School you can card the coach(es) but in select you can not even do that. You can warn or eject a coach or

spectator(s), but not give them cards. So, the only thing that I can think was going on was that the guy was just joking around. If it was serious, then it was a misapplication of the rules.