White Co. Football

cavsfootball

LOL. That is ignorant fellowes. Houser commands respect from his players and he is one of the better young offensive minds in the state and has learned from Joslin. This would be one of the better hires in the UC. There is no way he would go back to Livingston, ties are probably gone there. Good luck to Houser, and White County. Make this hire, it will be well worth it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don"t have a clue? He will be here untill livingston job comes open?

You could be right,but as of about 3pm, the word that I'm getting is that it is a done deal. This is not street gossip. It came from several sources inside the program. Formal announcement to come Fri. or Mon. I hope it is, the players are ready for the new man to get here. Numbers are way up in hopes of a fresh start. Looks like 27 incomming freshman right now. Some upper classsmen comming back to the program. I have heard est. of 80 to 90 out for spring ball. That would be unheard of since I can remember. I also got wind of alot of interest and support at the first QB club meeting. Over double the usual attendance. All sounds good for the incomming coach. I have also heard rumors of a new workout facilty at White County. Word is that Bret Farley has created quite a bite of excitement in the football program since Christmas break. I know he did great things with the middle school program. Sounds like the wait could be over .........but then again I may not have a clue.

Well is Matthan Houser the man or not. Anybody know anything ?? To me it would be a win-win situation for both sides. White Co. would be getting a good young coach that's up with the times and from what I have been hearing he will be bringing in some quality coaches if it's feasible. Hopefully they can workout something and get the ball rolling for the future.

Well is Matthan Houser the man or not. Anybody know anything ?? To me it would be a win-win situation for both sides. White Co. would be getting a good young coach that's up with the times and from what I have been hearing he will be bringing in some quality coaches if it's feasible. Hopefully they can workout something and get the ball rolling for the future.

From what I'm hearing they are close to making a hire but no announcement has been made at this time. I'm not sure if Houser is the front-runner or if it's someone else's job but I wish they would make the decision for the kids sake. We could have a legitimate chance of winning several games next year if we would get someone in the position to install their system on both sides of the ball. I can't believe they are taking this long to be honest.

No disrespect to the other candidates, but White Co. would be wise to hire Houser. He is an intelligent, energetic, football smart young man. He, without question, will put his heart and soul into the job. He has an enormous passion for the game. My son played for him for one year and I can assure you he thought the world of him. He will work his boys hard and by no means will he accept less than maximum effort from his players. If White Co. wants an up and comer to boost there football program, Houser will fill the bill.

That's been a problem here in the past few years. Seems like there was always alot of people smarter than the coaches. At least they thought so. It' even been inside the program. There was an assistant coach who did everything possible to destroy the program, out of nothing but spite. Thankfully he seems to be gone. But anyway, if we can get, and stay positive, things can turn around. Whoever the new coach is I challange the White County " supporters" to get behind him. Let's make a new start as fans and parents to make Warrior football something to be proud of

There is so much work to be done in the football program in White County and so little time with March just around the corner. Whatever happens I commend Coach Brent Farley for his work in the off season and whoever gets the job owes a big thank you to his efforts. As far as what will happen, I have no clue and no comment except I will say not to expect someone to jump ship for their home just because it's their home school. Every situation is different.

I've coached at White County, started the Overton County Youth football program and coached it for 3 years, then joined Livingston Academy, then Jackson County, back to Livingston Academy and then back to Jackson County and I love the kids at all of those schools. I still have players I keep in touch with from all my coaching stops as far back as that 1980 Sparta Warriors team. Coaching is wonderful because it allows a 50 year old man to share dreams and aspirations with young men, to work for a common goal and to watch them grow not only as a football player but as a valuable member of society. I don't mean to sound soft but it is an emotional sport, coaches get attached to players and players to coaches, that is what makes a TEAM. You fight all those little battles together daily in practice and when the time comes that the game is on the line you trust your players and they trust you. That's why I coach.

While I'm talking about coaching let me say I feel there is no need for profanity in the coaching ranks. If I can't get my point across without it I need to be studying a dictionary or even better, my Bible, more than I need to be out on that field. When a coach cusses a player you are telling him it's alright to talk that way and you shouldn't be surprised when a player cusses a coach or a teammate. It's doing the little things right that adds up to the big picture. If White County needs that kind of discipline, that kind of mutual respect, and someone who has the big picture in mind I know where they can find the right fit. I know a potential head coach who lives it everyday in his personal life and it's not for show it's how he was raised.

For those who doubt his football knowledge the 2002 Dartmouth team set a school record for passing yards in a season. One of the receivers Casey Cramer plays for the Tennessee Titans ( and stays in touch), the quarterback Brian Mann played in the Arena Football League for Los Angeles and was an actor in The Longest Yard and Invincible. The backup quarterback was Dan Shula, grandson of Don Shula and just last week hired as an assistant coach at Illinois State University. Houser led that team in yards per catch and was a part-time starter and in the rotation all season. The innovative offense of the Perry brothers (one is now at Brown, the other head coach at Merrimack College) and the tutelage of Scott Sallach, his receivers coach, who was recently hired at Mississippi State should show the bloodlines of what to expect. A motion offense that tries to create mismatches (similar to Florida). If someone wants to run the wing-T then it's not a good fit. But I can promise you kids love it.

Defensively it is controlled aggression based on the strong points of the personnel. That is just the philosophy.

Did you realize 21% of the snaps in a football game are special team snaps? We believe in making special teams SPECIAL. Whatever it takes brother, that's the motto, and certainly to be taken within the confines of the rules but it means take pride in them and excel at reaching your goals within your limitations.

As coaches we should never ask someone to do something they are not capable of doing and always strive to put players in position to be successful.

Why do I say all of this? Just rambling I guess.

There is so much work to be done in the football program in White County and so little time with March just around the corner. Whatever happens I commend Coach Brent Farley for his work in the off season and whoever gets the job owes a big thank you to his efforts. As far as what will happen, I have no clue and no comment except I will say not to expect someone to jump ship for their home just because it's their home school. Every situation is different.

I've coached at White County, started the Overton County Youth football program and coached it for 3 years, then joined Livingston Academy, then Jackson County, back to Livingston Academy and then back to Jackson County and I love the kids at all of those schools. I still have players I keep in touch with from all my coaching stops as far back as that 1980 Sparta Warriors team. Coaching is wonderful because it allows a 50 year old man to share dreams and aspirations with young men, to work for a common goal and to watch them grow not only as a football player but as a valuable member of society. I don't mean to sound soft but it is an emotional sport, coaches get attached to players and players to coaches, that is what makes a TEAM. You fight all those little battles together daily in practice and when the time comes that the game is on the line you trust your players and they trust you. That's why I coach.

While I'm talking about coaching let me say I feel there is no need for profanity in the coaching ranks. If I can't get my point across without it I need to be studying a dictionary or even better, my Bible, more than I need to be out on that field. When a coach cusses a player you are telling him it's alright to talk that way and you shouldn't be surprised when a player cusses a coach or a teammate. It's doing the little things right that adds up to the big picture. If White County needs that kind of discipline, that kind of mutual respect, and someone who has the big picture in mind I know where they can find the right fit. I know a potential head coach who lives it everyday in his personal life and it's not for show it's how he was raised.

For those who doubt his football knowledge the 2002 Dartmouth team set a school record for passing yards in a season. One of the receivers Casey Cramer plays for the Tennessee Titans ( and stays in touch with Houser), the quarterback Brian Mann played in the Arena Football League for Los Angeles and was an actor in The Longest Yard and Invincible. The backup quarterback was Dan Shula, grandson of Don Shula and just last week hired as an assistant coach at Illinois State University. Houser led that team in yards per catch and was a part-time starter and in the rotation all season. The innovative offense of the Perry brothers (one is now at Brown, the other head coach at Merrimack College) and the tutelage of Scott Sallach, his receivers coach, who was recently hired at Mississippi State should show the bloodlines of what to expect. A motion offense that tries to create mismatches (similar to Florida). If someone wants to run the wing-T then it's not a good fit. But I can promise you kids love it.

Defensively it is controlled aggression based on the strong points of the personnel. That is just the philosophy.

Did you realize 21% of the snaps in a football game are special team snaps? We believe in making special teams SPECIAL. Whatever it takes brother, that's the motto, and certainly to be taken within the confines of the rules but it means take pride in them and excel at reaching your goals within your limitations.

As coaches we should never ask someone to do something they are not capable of doing and always strive to put players in position to be successful.

Why do I say all of this? Just rambling I guess.

Keep on rambling coach. I have always said you should have been a head coach. And everyone that knows you, knows the reasons why you didn't pursue that dream . As for the situation that son is in, he has done all that he can do, the rest is left up to WC. But if they don't want a young man that will put his heart and soul into their football program and the lives of the kids, then they need to hire someone else.

Keep on rambling coach. I have always said you should have been a head coach. And everyone that knows you, knows the reasons why you didn't pursue that dream . As for the situation that son is in, he has done all that he can do, the rest is left up to WC. But if they don't won't a young man that will put his heart and soul into their football program and the lives of the kids, then they need to hire someone else.

I really didn't mean to ramble so much or seem as if I was trying to sway anyone's opinion. I do know he is happy at Cookeville and loves Coach Joslin and how he conducts a program. He probably has one of the best jobs in the Upper Cumberland right now at a program that has a solid foundation and could be very good in '09.

Also I'm happy at Jackson County, we have a building project ongoing, an exciting young coaching staff (except for me) that gets along great, and the potential to get to the next level if we have enough patience to take small steps, which I think we do.