Best Pure shooter in East Tennessee now... and of all time

basketball2223

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best pure shooters that has played in Knoxville that I have seen in awhile is the great Ryan Walden of Knox Catholic. As good as a shooter as he is, I think the Knoxville Thunderbolts should give him a shot after his playing days at Milligan are over... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It seems there is present and past "Best Pure shooter in East TN."

Past Ron Widby Knox Fulton (UT SEC Champs player also)

Jimmy England Holston (A Vol also)

Billy Justice Fulton (Jersey Retired at Fulton and a Vol

Bill Armstrong Knox Central (60) 28 pts a game before 3 point)

Eddie (pee wee)Chandler Knox Rule

A W Davis Rutledge (The Rifle) (UT)

Jerry Cannon Powell (C.N)

Mike Ogan Powell (could flat shoot from anywhere)

Jay Cole Knox South (avg 40 a game from outside Sr. year)

Pogue (last name) South Doyle

I am sure there are more from the past. Just the ones I saw.

I need to think about East TN now group of Best Pure Shooters.

top 10 best... any thoughts???

I have shared the floor with a lot of the old ones mentioned. I have been on the bench for many others and I have witnessed several at the college and high school levels.

Tefteller, Paul Webb could just flat out shoot, Chris Jones-"the Shot Doctor", Jay Cole, all come to mind from the past

Gettlefinger was a very good shooter but "pure" doesnt come to my mind.

Aaron Green also--he just competed and when he coached High School.

Padgett I thought of as a "scorer" as opposed to "shooter" and Caylor likewise.

Yaden- fluid played up at Oneida and in state tourney around the same time as Green.

Someone mentioned Dan Anderson at Walters State---Didn't he also play at Carson Newman? I could have this all wrong I am also thinking Harriman--maybe I got the wrong guy? I enjoy thinking about the good ole days and the old hot gyms

Brad Seal at Hancock and Parsons at Cumberland County

Lee Humphrey--when he got spotted up you knew it was going in. from deep

Justice and England and AW Davis (what a class guy)

There are several upper east tennessee guys. Knox area has a 8-10 real good shooters now already mentioned in the 2009 class. It seemed the 90's had better shooters than today. Maybe the kids just shot more ball then; however, there are so many more opportunities to play ball through aau and more gyms than ever. Lets keep up the good work and continue playing hoops.

A.W. Davis and Skylar McBee have been mentioned from the Rutledge/Grainger side of things, but one that hasn't been is Kip Combs. He played in the years just before the 3-point shot was instituted and was regularly knocking down 25-footers for Rutledge while averaging 24 per game over the course of the last two years he played.

A.W. was at one time the record holder for single game, season and career points...all before the 3-point line and before some other great shooters from all over the state got in on the act.

you have to put eric coggins in the top 5 in east tn. he is one of the best shoters ive ever seen. im pretty sure he is 3rd all time in the state of TN in high school basketball 3 pointers made. to be 5'8 he could absolutly stroke it!!!

I always thought Webb was better? I mean, I'm not sure about this, that's just what I always thought. I was told Webb set some 3-point records for the state tournament too. Don't know if it's true though...

It seems there is present and past "Best Pure shooter in East TN."

Past Ron Widby Knox Fulton (UT SEC Champs player also)

Jimmy England Holston (A Vol also)

Billy Justice Fulton (Jersey Retired at Fulton and a Vol

Bill Armstrong Knox Central (60) 28 pts a game before 3 point)

Eddie (pee wee)Chandler Knox Rule

A W Davis Rutledge (The Rifle) (UT)

Jerry Cannon Powell (C.N)

Mike Ogan Powell (could flat shoot from anywhere)

Jay Cole Knox South (avg 40 a game from outside Sr. year)

Pogue (last name) South Doyle

I am sure there are more from the past. Just the ones I saw.

I need to think about East TN now group of Best Pure Shooters.

I agree with a lot of your list. I saw England and Justice, Ogan, Widby and A. W. Davis all play. Was Coached by Davis at McMinn Central! I would also add Paul Webb from McMinn Central, he could flat shoot the lights out. Austin Clark from Kingston was also pretty darn good too. Kinda dates my age with these picks!

I always thought Webb was better? I mean, I'm not sure about this, that's just what I always thought. I was told Webb set some 3-point records for the state tournament too. Don't know if it's true though...

Are you talking about the Webb kid from Cosby that played in the mid to late nineties? He was an incredible shooter and one of the best I have ever seen! Don't remember his first name though?