9AA Starts

Popcorn901

So no major upsets last night other than MLK over East Lit.

FRA gets a win over Pearl-Cohn

CPA over Ezell

Hume-Fogg over DL. I really thought this one would go differently watching the first quarter. DL does not adjust well to subs, and loses their momentum when you get out of their six primary players. They made the same predictable turnovers, had their best defender in foul trouble, and had no offensive rebounding. You could cut and paste what I wrote about their play in the Ezell game, except this time they lost. I think I have officially given up on them. I loved this team defensively, but it seems that they have lost that edge of late. Defense includes rebounding!! This is the same team that held Hillsboro to nine pts (primarily with rebounding) in the early season. I'm not sure what is broken, but they need to fix it, or they are one and gone in the district tournament.

Looks like Hume-Fogg has the gut and grit and awesome fundamentals to win the district. There are still some games to go, but nothing that will shake things up in the standings. All we are looking at now is seeding in the tournament between DL and FRA for three and four. I think Hume-Fogg and CPA are the hungriest and are better fundamentally skilled at passing, dribbling, scoring and rebounding (which is what this game is about). They also make the fewest mistakes. Miracles can happen, but it is doubtful at this point in the season. A team is a team by this point.

Good luck to 9AA top two and do us proud in the region.

This is the time of year where the "what ifs" come out. Here is a possible scenerio that will make

the district full of coin tosses.

FRA wins out beating HF, EL and DL

HF beats CPA but loses to FRA

CPA Loses to HF and wins the rest.

HF, FRA and CPA all are 11-3 in district....

While this is unlikely it is a real possibility. But as we all know it is getting past the first game of district that is always the toughest.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So no major upsets last night other than MLK over East Lit.

FRA gets a win over Pearl-Cohn

CPA over Ezell

Hume-Fogg over DL. I really thought this one would go differently watching the first quarter. DL does not adjust well to subs, and loses their momentum when you get out of their six primary players. They made the same predictable turnovers, had their best defender in foul trouble, and had no offensive rebounding. You could cut and paste what I wrote about their play in the Ezell game, except this time they lost. I think I have officially given up on them. I loved this team defensively, but it seems that they have lost that edge of late. Defense includes rebounding!! This is the same team that held Hillsboro to nine pts (primarily with rebounding) in the early season. I'm not sure what is broken, but they need to fix it, or they are one and gone in the district tournament.

Looks like Hume-Fogg has the gut and grit and awesome fundamentals to win the district. There are still some games to go, but nothing that will shake things up in the standings. All we are looking at now is seeding in the tournament between DL and FRA for three and four. I think Hume-Fogg and CPA are the hungriest and are better fundamentally skilled at passing, dribbling, scoring and rebounding (which is what this game is about). They also make the fewest mistakes. Miracles can happen, but it is doubtful at this point in the season. A team is a team by this point.

Good luck to 9AA top two and do us proud in the region.

I agree that Hume Fogg and CPA are the hungriest, and you have to want it to get it! I am proud of our CPA girls!

So now it is down to two games for first, second and third.

What happened to HF against PC. Hannah Miller hasn't played the last couple of games. Is she OK? 55-54. Wow.

CPA killed MLK 50-28

FRA (you know, that team that people forget about and automatically put behind CPA and HF) beat DL 40-27.

So next week HF plays CPA on tuesday, winner takes the lead. If HF wins and then loses to FRA on Friday (and FRA beats EL tuesday at home) then we can have a three way tie for 1st. (coin flips) Still unlikely but more real today then yesterday.

If CPA beats HF and wins friday against EL then the HF-FRA game is for 2nd even if FRA loses to EL. (Coin flip maybe)

If FRA loses both games and DL wins both games then it is a tie for 3 (coin flip)

EL has been playing well these last games and will be tough in the districts. EL really beat EH. EL plays both FRA and CPA next week

Aren't what ifs fun. There is still a lot basketball left in two games......Then the fun of district, region, sectional and hopefully state for one of our district teams.

It has been a great competative year.

So now it is down to two games for first, second and third.

What happened to HF against PC. Hannah Miller hasn't played the last couple of games. Is she OK? 55-54. Wow.

CPA killed MLK 50-28

FRA (you know, that team that people forget about and automatically put behind CPA and HF) beat DL 40-27.

So next week HF plays CPA on tuesday, winner takes the lead. If HF wins and then loses to FRA on Friday (and FRA beats EL tuesday at home) then we can have a three way tie for 1st. (coin flips) Still unlikely but more real today then yesterday.

If CPA beats HF and wins friday against EL then the HF-FRA game is for 2nd even if FRA loses to EL. (Coin flip maybe)

If FRA loses both games and DL wins both games then it is a tie for 3 (coin flip)

EL has been playing well these last games and will be tough in the districts. EL really beat EH. EL plays both FRA and CPA next week

Aren't what ifs fun. There is still a lot basketball left in two games......Then the fun of district, region, sectional and hopefully state for one of our district teams.

It has been a great competative year.

Upsets tonight (well there is no such thing as an upset in the district)....

FRA humiliates DL. Smith had the game of her life. I know that DL was suffering with a team full of sick players, but they let this one get out of hand with some poor substitution choices at the end of the first quarter that spiralled. I wish DL's coach would just let the starters play through it... They will rise to the occasion if allowed. Putting in cold players to hit miracle 3 ptrs is not a good game plan. I do not understand why Slater was not playing in this game. She and Wood are the cornerstone as guards on this team. One or both should be on the court at all times.

East Lit beats Ezell, so East Lit is making a run for #5 in the district. East Lit came on this time last year, so no one better count them out. I have seen East Lit improving in all areas the past few games. Like I said before, they are starting to look like the tough physical team with grit that they were last year.

Tuesday night will be pretty big for the #1 and #2 spots. I predict Hume-Fogg will beat CPA if Gooch and Bagwell are playing their A game. FRA gets to face East Lit. I think FRA will beat them with their good defense and outside shooting. East Lit needs to put on their pads and get physical. This could be the upset of the night. FRA had little to no defense on them in the DL game (except covering Wyatt), so a good physical East Lit team could rattle them.

DL should beat Ezell, but DL is going to have to get healthy by then.

MLK/Pearl-Cohn - MLK is certainly turning it on, but I predict Pearl-Cohn is going to take this one. Grudge match, and Pearl-Cohn's 3 pt shooting is much better than MLK's.

It comes down to Hume-Fogg and CPA for #1. The rest is just seeding, and I don't think there is a trophy for regular season champs.

Momentum will play a factor. Flu/cold season is going to take a toll (already is on DL)... who else will have casualties???

The district tournament should be interesting. I still think that any team can win on a given night... Ought to be interesting!!

I have held my tongue all season, but have to give thoughts prior to tournament time...

FRA is really impressing me. They are much quicker than any team, I have watched thus far. They were 100% prepared for the DL game tonight. You can tell these girls are watching film, and their coach set-up a defensive plan that kept DL from getting the ball to their sweet spots (Ellenburg and Wood). Unfortunately, DL's remaining line-up did not step-up. This led to some substitutions that affected momentum and led to even less scoring and more turnovers. DL shut down their big offensive threat (Wyatt), only to have Kaitlyn Smith dominate. She had an incredible game. I agree that some of the DL players have been/are sick, but that is no excuse for the butt-whooping they took tonight. FRA looked awesome, and DL looked desperate. I agree with HSSPORTNUT. DL's coach needs to let his go-to players play through the slumps in lieu of making some of the questionable subbing decisions (mind you I don't see what he does in practice every day). The only other team to beat DL this bad was the second time they played Hillsboro. Pitiful performance by the Lady Mustangs. The thing that puzzles me.. there were no DL starters in foul trouble... why not let the starters play? Score was FRA 10 and DL 9. DL pulls Keen and Wood (two of their best defenders). Why????

CPA has such good coaching that they seem to keep slipping through close games. I agree that Hume-Fogg is going to get them with Bagwell playing in this rematch on Tuesday. I give the defensive coaching edge to CPA, but give the athleticsm edge to Hume-Fogg. Maria Bagwell is probably the best all-around player in the district. I am especially impressed with her ability to steal the ball without getting hand-check fouls. She is smooooooth. Gooch is going to give Mitchell fits down low, especially if HF plays zone and double teams her. She can be easily pulled into jump ball situations (CPA passes low inside, and she tends to tuck and hold). She could draw so many fouls if she just stayed high with the ball. I'm sure she will be the best post in the district next year if CPA can master the lob pass over her shoulder.

I'd say that MLK, East Lit, Pearl, and Ezell are the bottom four, but you cannot count any of them out. If DL plays like they did tonight, they will lose to Ezell and Pearl. It still will not lose them the #4 seed, but it will be a momentum killer for tourney. MLK's post height and strength is daunting. I believe they are finally starting to monopolize on that advantage. Pearl's 3 pt shooting is really good, and getting better every game. They know this is what they need to open the lane for Battles.

I remember that East Lit was in the bottom four of the district last year when they faced #2 seed David Lipscomb in the first round of districts last year, and they won that game, and went on to region.

DL is not going to have an easy ride in the first round regardless of where they land seeding-wise. Neither is CPA or Hume Fogg. MLK is improving every game and has a huge momentum right now. Pearl-Cohn is very athletic and can shoot. There is no easy win anymore (except for FRA tonight).

It is going to come down to who wants it the most, and which coach is ready to put in the time to know their opponents and prepare their team. Preparation, heart and health. That's where we stand right now!! Maybe FRA caught the crud inflicting the DL team right now (really - just kidding). May the BEST teams win the tournament and put up a good-showing in the region.

It's been a fun year (and not fun sometimes). Just a word of encouragement to the DL girls. You all have waited three/four long years to play in a varsity game. Remember that you are a team and great athletes. This is your last year playing together. Have fun and remember all the years in WNSL, Middle School, and JV. You went undefeated most of those years. You know that you have the chemistry and the talent...just believe in yourselves and play like coach Carter is yelling at you... push it!!

Good luck to all!!

I have held my tongue all season, but have to give thoughts prior to tournament time...

FRA is really impressing me. They are much quicker than any team, I have watched thus far. They were 100% prepared for the DL game tonight. You can tell these girls are watching film, and their coach set-up a defensive plan that kept DL from getting the ball to their sweet spots (Ellenburg and Wood). Unfortunately, DL's remaining line-up did not step-up. This led to some substitutions that affected momentum and led to even less scoring and more turnovers. DL shut down their big offensive threat (Wyatt), only to have Kaitlyn Smith dominate. She had an incredible game. I agree that some of the DL players have been/are sick, but that is no excuse for the butt-whooping they took tonight. FRA looked awesome, and DL looked desperate. I agree with HSSPORTNUT. DL's coach needs to let his go-to players play through the slumps in lieu of making some of the questionable subbing decisions (mind you I don't see what he does in practice every day). The only other team to beat DL this bad was the second time they played Hillsboro. Pitiful performance by the Lady Mustangs. The thing that puzzles me.. there were no DL starters in foul trouble... why not let the starters play? Score was FRA 10 and DL 9. DL pulls Keen and Wood (two of their best defenders). Why????

CPA has such good coaching that they seem to keep slipping through close games. I agree that Hume-Fogg is going to get them with Bagwell playing in this rematch on Tuesday. I give the defensive coaching edge to CPA, but give the athleticsm edge to Hume-Fogg. Maria Bagwell is probably the best all-around player in the district. I am especially impressed with her ability to steal the ball without getting hand-check fouls. She is smooooooth. Gooch is going to give Mitchell fits down low, especially if HF plays zone and double teams her. She can be easily pulled into jump ball situations (CPA passes low inside, and she tends to tuck and hold). She could draw so many fouls if she just stayed high with the ball. I'm sure she will be the best post in the district next year if CPA can master the lob pass over her shoulder.

I'd say that MLK, East Lit, Pearl, and Ezell are the bottom four, but you cannot count any of them out. If DL plays like they did tonight, they will lose to Ezell and Pearl. It still will not lose them the #4 seed, but it will be a momentum killer for tourney. MLK's post height and strength is daunting. I believe they are finally starting to monopolize on that advantage. Pearl's 3 pt shooting is really good, and getting better every game. They know this is what they need to open the lane for Battles.

I remember that East Lit was in the bottom four of the district last year when they faced #2 seed David Lipscomb in the first round of districts last year, and they won that game, and went on to region.

DL is not going to have an easy ride in the first round regardless of where they land seeding-wise. Neither is CPA or Hume Fogg. MLK is improving every game and has a huge momentum right now. Pearl-Cohn is very athletic and can shoot. There is no easy win anymore (except for FRA tonight).

It is going to come down to who wants it the most, and which coach is ready to put in the time to know their opponents and prepare their team. Preparation, heart and health. That's where we stand right now!! Maybe FRA caught the crud inflicting the DL team right now (really - just kidding). May the BEST teams win the tournament and put up a good-showing in the region.

It's been a fun year (and not fun sometimes). Just a word of encouragement to the DL girls. You all have waited three/four long years to play in a varsity game. Remember that you are a team and great athletes. This is your last year playing together. Have fun and remember all the years in WNSL, Middle School, and JV. You went undefeated most of those years. You know that you have the chemistry and the talent...just believe in yourselves and play like coach Carter is yelling at you... push it!!

Good luck to all!!

Good Post. Thats Girls High School Basketball.

Lady Mustangs!! You looked awesome on Senior night. I know that the emotion of the core-four had a lot to do with it. You had two starters very sick (one with Strep and the other toting a 103 fever earlier in the day). Way to persevere!! Your defense and rebounding were phenominal. I think you just might have the confidence to carry you into winning the district tourney. You should have a healthy team by then, since the majority of the team has been sick the last two weeks, you should be healthy first round. You have nothing to lose...Go for it!!

The last games and boy has it been fun. I have appreciated the insights of many of you. The outlandish predictions to the sage analysis. It is all fun and hopefully we have all added to the enjoyment of the regular season.

As an FRA follower I will miss most of you next year. But those of you participating keep up the great comments for the district.

FRA still has a big final game against HF. It is Kaitlyn Smith (FRA) and Maria Bagwell's (HF) last regular season game. Two team leaders that will be missed. These are two athletes that exemplify what quality HS sports athletes can be. Both tough competitors that will be missed next year.

My hat if off to the young players of FRA. At 22-4 with a chance to be #2 in the district they could show very well in the district and regional tournaments. (Pre season prediction by most was 6th at best) With 11 of the 15 players as sophomores, freshman and an eigth grader they should give us plenty of good solid basketball for several more years. With a defense that only allow 31.5 points per game and a coach that demands the highest from his players these young ladies will only continue to improve. They are truly building a team, not individual performances. Defense tells you that.

The entire district is competitive. Districts, with the one and done if you lose are always exciting. Just remember last year when EL came on strong. So good bye to regular season and let's get ready for HS February "Maddness".

Who will be in your district? If Davidson Academy is- they usually have a pretty good team year after year.

DII A East -Middle per the TSSAA website

Davidson, DCA, Ezell, FRA, Kings Academy, Knox Webb, Lancaster Christian, Mt. Juliet Christian, Riverside Christian, St Andrews, St. Cecelia, USN, Zion Christian and Webb

Some of these schools are very good; Knox Webb this year has defeated the likes of BA, Ensworth, Olivar Springs etc. running up a 19-2 record. DCA, Davidson, FRA usually have good teams.

Some of this group are very weak. Enrollment goes from 78 to 478.

I don't think anyone really knows who will be playing who /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> .