New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Miner, Jackson, and Saunders at teachers at ORHS. Adams is an elementary alternative school teacher and Spratling teaches at Robertsville. Tommy Miner and Phil Thompson are non-faculty coaches. It could be difficult, but not impossible, to put some new assistants on the staff. TSSAA rules on non-faculty assistants are tricky.

Yeah that makes sense Sprat is a teacher because he's the head BBall coach at Rville. He would most likely stay at Roberstville because he does BBall and I think his kids are still in middle school (just speculating though). I would think Adams would try and find another job at another school if he wasn't brought back, don't know though.

when does OR traditionally hold spring practice, early or late? If they bring in someone from out of state I would assume he would probably hire a whole new staff, which could take some time. If they hire from the area I would think he already has assistants in mind.

Spring Practice has normally started in the past about the first week of May, so that all the kids participating in track and other spring sports have a chance to come out...I am hoping that they have a Head Coach well before then, so he can jump start the weight room, and evaluate the players he has, try to get a few more out, and execute a successful Spring Practice, and find out who fits in what positions.

Available teaching positions will determine how many, if any assistants he can hire. I understand if assistants are hired, they may NOT make it in time for Spring Practice.

I think this time they will make a good hire, the search is more thorough and it is not a pre-determined hire as it was in 2005. I think we will have a Head Coach by mid to end February, and that should give him time to organize etc. He will really have a lot of positions to fill, as the starting jobs should be wide open, and I would encourage any kid in ORHS who wants to play football to come out, and go ahead and come out NOW, and get in that weight room and get your grades in shape, so you can take part in the revival of Oak Ridge Football!!

Spring Practice has normally started in the past about the first week of May, so that all the kids participating in track and other spring sports have a chance to come out...I am hoping that they have a Head Coach well before then, so he can jump start the weight room, and evaluate the players he has, try to get a few more out, and execute a successful Spring Practice, and find out who fits in what positions.

Available teaching positions will determine how many, if any assistants he can hire. I understand if assistants are hired, they may NOT make it in time for Spring Practice.

I think this time they will make a good hire, the search is more thorough and it is not a pre-determined hire as it was in 2005. I think we will have a Head Coach by mid to end February, and that should give him time to organize etc. He will really have a lot of positions to fill, as the starting jobs should be wide open, and I would encourage any kid in ORHS who wants to play football to come out, and go ahead and come out NOW, and get in that weight room and get your grades in shape, so you can take part in the revival of Oak Ridge Football!!

Good Post!

Well, you know times are hectic with all the holidays and all..... Mullins had to let things wait while he took 3 weeks off for Christmas break....then that whole President thing came around and MLK Day and all....there is just not much time to focus on this with all the dang holidays and all......if you know what I mean....

Ole Dad

Is the ridge any closer to making a hire? I know they started interviews but it seems like they would want to have that large list narrowed by now.

Well, you know times are hectic with all the holidays and all..... Mullins had to let things wait while he took 3 weeks off for Christmas break....then that whole President thing came around and MLK Day and all....there is just not much time to focus on this with all the dang holidays and all......if you know what I mean....

Ole Dad

I hear you, just hire the first guy who comes along... No need to plan, evaluate or investigate ...We need to hire someone quick, it is already January! Mullins took three weeks off, I am sure everyone was trying to knock on his door about a job on Christmas day, I mean that is normally the time I want to interview. I am sure he had received all the apps he needed over the holidays as well.

We should have at least had somone hired By MLK day!

What gives?

You don't run your own Business ,do you Ole Dad?

The rumbles we always heard in Morristown during his tenure and since the announcement that the OR job had come open again is that Don Woods would apply for the job. Well, it was confirmed to me by one of the Knoxville television sports anchors with inside info on the search. I don't know where he is in the process, but since they have started interviews, I would say Woods has interviewed or will be doing so in the next few days. Take it for what it's worth, but this would be a fantastic hire for Oak Ridge if they get Woods.

Darn, I guess all these schools that have hired coaches to fill vacancies already have just jumped the gun and have taken the first guy who came along. Yeah right. Yeah, and I operate a little business.

Ole Dad

I hear you, just hire the first guy who comes along... No need to plan, evaluate or investigate ...We need to hire someone quick, it is already January! Mullins took three weeks off, I am sure everyone was trying to knock on his door about a job on Christmas day, I mean that is normally the time I want to interview. I am sure he had received all the apps he needed over the holidays as well.

We should have at least had somone hired By MLK day!

What gives?

You don't run your own Business ,do you Ole Dad?

Darn, I guess all these schools that have hired coaches to fill vacancies already have just jumped the gun and have taken the first guy who came along. Yeah right. Yeah, and I operate a little business.

Ole Dad

If you own your own business what is your attrition rate? All of these other schools may have had someone in mind, you do know that there is much more to it than just hiring a guy at OR right?

You are going to be upset but I hope it is not Bruce or Joe.

The rumbles we always heard in Morristown during his tenure and since the announcement that the OR job had come open again is that Don Woods would apply for the job. Well, it was confirmed to me by one of the Knoxville television sports anchors with inside info on the search. I don't know where he is in the process, but since they have started interviews, I would say Woods has interviewed or will be doing so in the next few days. Take it for what it's worth, but this would be a fantastic hire for Oak Ridge if they get Woods.[/quo

No disrespect intended, but you better check your source. I know Coach Woods has not applied and is not interested in the Oak Ridge job.

No disrespect intended here either, but this committee only has three members and they're not talking, especially to a Knoxville news reporter. I think the Knoxville news reporter may have said he had inside info, but I don't think that's the case, they're not mentioning any names to anybody. They might mention how many they've talked to, but they're not giving names.