New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

Not sure of his exact record but seem to remember that someone posted that it is something like 14-65-1 or so. If that is not correct please post the right record if you find it. I don't think that is what we are looking for. But, dang, we might be based on the last hire.

Ole Dad

First off, I said he should be on the short list. In other words, they should take a very close look at his resume. I'm not saying go hire the guy just because he played for UT. But if you look at his football experience, there's not many guys with a list of accomplishments like that anywhere.

member of the college football Hall of Fame

2 Jacobs trophies for best lineman in the country

2 time first team All American

3 time first team All SEC

I think these accomplishments demonstrate the guy's love for football, desire to be excellent, and committment to hard work. I also think having 30 years coaching experience at both hs and college level, as well as being the son of a 40 year tenure high school coach. I think it's safe to say that football is the man's life. Plus, from what I've been told about him and judging by what he's said, he loves to motivate and teach the kids both on and off the field, and mold them into good students and athletes. I'm not saying he is the best candidate, I'm just saying I hope they take a good hard look at him.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the posts discussing Coach Kell's record have been deleted. I don't know why. Perhaps we have some bad information.

The 14-65-1 was his head coaching record in Georgia as posted on a Georgia football historical site. The internet is very sketchy as to his record in Tennessee in the 70's.

I overheard several "more mature" Oak Ridgers talking at the basketball game Saturday. Including one huge name from Wildcat glory days. Gaddis is the 100% choice of those gentlemen. For what its worth.

My predictions as posted on August 28, 2008. Somehow I knew then that a change was coming.Let's see if I can generate some interest.

Big changes are in order for the 2008 Oak Ridge High School football Wildcats. In the biggest move of the year, Coach Stanton Stevens has resigned to become the kicking (and punching) game coordinator at Clinton High School. Dr. Tom Bailey and Ken Green immediately named themselves as Stevens' dual successors. The entire coaching staff was then released and replaced by a more suitable group of academians. Former Principal Chuck Carringer and former athletic director Mike Mullins could not be reached for comment. Rumor has it, they are the collective winners of the $167 million lottery and really don't care any more.

Bailey announced "Football is as vital to the spirit and history of Oak Ridge as the audio visual and chess clubs have been. With this in mind, I will lead the yet to be determined, more culturally sensitive mascot name to many goals on the diamond this season". Bailey is set to guide the new "fluffy pillow" offense. His first move was to replace that "jock" Tyler Clark at quarterback with Merit Scholar Louis Skolnick.

Despite not knowing which side of the ball is offense or defense, Green will perform the duties of defensive coordinator. When asked if he had any new ideas, Green was quoted as saying "captain insano shows no mercy". Perhaps this is a reference to the new transfer student from Louisiana. Green additionally said "My defense will be aware and sensitive to the needs of all participants of the athletic contests. Violence will not be tolerated on my watch."

All home games will kick off at 3:30 pm in an effort to cut stadium lighting costs. Pregame ceremonies will begin at 3 pm highlighted by "The Barney Song" replacing the National Anthem, and the continuing lack of any reference of prayer.

The booster club will be selling "ORHS - its not just for sports anymore" t-shirts and buttons.

Some more good news - reports of a David Clary sighting. Witnesses say since the athletic shake-up, Mr. Clary has been seen walking the streets of Oak Ridge with Santa Claus.

Best wishes on a successful 2008 season.

Interesting Blog in Oak Ridger today that says that Emory Hale recommeded that Oak Ridge go to Florida and hire a coach from one of Florida's State Champions. I guess Pahokee, Plant City, Lakeland, St. Thomas, and some Miami teams qualify under that option.

Ole Dad

All of the posts discussing Coach Kell's record have been deleted. I don't know why. Perhaps we have some bad information.

The 14-65-1 was his head coaching record in Georgia as posted on a Georgia football historical site. The internet is very sketchy as to his record in Tennessee in the 70's.

I overheard several "more mature" Oak Ridgers talking at the basketball game Saturday. Including one huge name from Wildcat glory days. Gaddis is the 100% choice of those gentlemen. For what its worth.

Interesting Blog in Oak Ridger today that says that Emory Hale recommeded that Oak Ridge go to Florida and hire a coach from one of Florida's State Champions. I guess Pahokee, Plant City, Lakeland, St. Thomas, and some Miami teams qualify under that option.

Ole Dad

I thought y'all just fired the MIAMI acting Coach? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Now on to something really important, when will the ribs be ready? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

I agree, playing at UT does not mean that you are automatically a good coach. I have coached with some guys that played at that level that couldn't coach a powder puff team let alone Oak Ridge High school. Great player does not equal great coach. I dont know Chip he might be a good coach. But, they must look at his coaching resume. Does he have head coaching experience? Is he the best candidate or are there guys that have already won a state championship at this level? I dont have the answers Im on the outside looking in. The best coach might be someone that has never been heard of. They may have never played college ball, but might have already proven themselves in the high school ranks as a head coach. The point Im making is you dont just pick up a resume & say hey he played at UT hire him. If Tony Robinson were to apply would they hire him?

Since 1992 a UT connection may not be a good thing, at least as far as coaching goes.

Since 1992 a UT connection may not be a good thing, at least as far as coaching goes.

Hey bladerunner

I've been reading lately but not posting. I'm going to tell you the same thing I told "scoot" over at Heritage. "Just pick one".. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

tpoole12

Hey bladerunner

I've been reading lately but not posting. I'm going to tell you the same thing I told "scoot" over at Heritage. "Just pick one".. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

tpoole12

Ditto /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hey bladerunner

tpoole12

I agree, it would be nice to find an Urban Meyer type. I am excited about the what if's already.