Riverdale

Lost Old Dad

It's amazing how popular Aydelott is with the opposition...they just love the guy.

I've noticed when you ask the Aydelott supporters how many games and practices they've seen that they suddenly disappear. Guys, go look at what is going on before you give an opinion. If you are knowledgeable about football, go watch, and I think you'll arrive at the same opinion that the job is just not getting done. If you've watched the tape of the CSS game against WC you'll notice it didn't take those announcers long to reach an opinion.

The problem that TDNTN noted with the coaches not coaching the players has been there since Aydelott arrived and the results are definitely beginning to show. This staff lost me during the Lincoln County game when a group of the coaches were on the sideline laughing and joking, during the game, while LC was just killing Riverdale. What message do you think the players took from that? Probably the same message I took?

The hardest job in football is to turn around a mess like Aydelott has created. I just don't think Aydelott is up to the job.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was dinner last night?

It's amazing how popular Aydelott is with the opposition...they just love the guy.

I've noticed when you ask the Aydelott supporters how many games and practices they've seen that they suddenly disappear. Guys, go look at what is going on before you give an opinion. If you are knowledgeable about football, go watch, and I think you'll arrive at the same opinion that the job is just not getting done. If you've watched the tape of the CSS game against WC you'll notice it didn't take those announcers long to reach an opinion.

The problem that TDNTN noted with the coaches not coaching the players has been there since Aydelott arrived and the results are definitely beginning to show. This staff lost me during the Lincoln County game when a group of the coaches were on the sideline laughing and joking, during the game, while LC was just killing Riverdale. What message do you think the players took from that? Probably the same message I took?

The hardest job in football is to turn around a mess like Aydelott has created. I just don't think Aydelott is up to the job.

I have been a RIVERDALE supporter for a long time and i will still go to games and i will still support the team I do have a qustion for stan and the swami...how many RIVERDALE games did you see?...we have a coaching problem while the talent is not what it was the first 2 years coach A was there there is still talent there and in my opinion he did not develop this years team the previous 2 years

so if you have watched all of the RIVERDALE games that we have and you disagree with the previous poster that is understandable but if you have seen maybe 1 game a year you do not see the problem

as far as talent being down they have been saying that since 2000 when blackman opened up and then again when siegel opened up so in my opinion the talent is comparable we still have 2300 kids at the school i think the overall coaching is down 4 of our former coaches that coach A let go is at oakland what did oakland do this year?

R'Man, I saw several homes games and a couple of the R'County away games. Not an expert this year for sure, but I saw plenty. I try to see the top area teams each year. I am older than dirt and saw Aydelott coach at Hillboro and even back when he was an assistant at Stratford. Strange...saw a lot of winning going on at those schools. Watched R'Dale with Rankin for years too. The talent at R'dale currently is not even close in comparison. Those teams were stacked with size, speed, and skill. They had guys on the second string back then that would have started anywhere else in the state. Currently R'Dale has a few bright spots here and there, but no where close to previous years.

You admit that the talent a R'Dale is down, but then blame the lack of success on Aydelott not developing that very lack of talent. Kind of an oxymoron, right? Coaches develop what they have. When you have great talent, you win Regions and State Chmpionships. When you dont have talent, you do the best you can and hold on until it returns. For years, almost of the top Rutherford County football talent came to R'Dale. When it comes from the entire county, you get years of winning. Now the talent is being spread around quite a bit more, so it is not a consistent in coming to R'Dale. Yes, they do have to work to find a way to win with what walks through the doors. But the argument of comparing the past with the present doenst hold up. The county is completely different now and R'Dale just doenst have the athletes flocking to them like they used to.

Coach A brought in a new system. People are still arguing and resisting it. So you've now got less talent, and you've got resistors to his offensive scheming...pretty hard to win with that combo. So he changes the coaching staff to bring in like minded coaches. The coaches that left didnt want to move their families, so they stayed in the county, and took knowledge of Aydelott's system and used it against him, which is perfectly fine and expected. Quite possibly, some kids were swayed to go to those schools instead of R'Dale so more talent may have been pulled away. And he has been beaten by the eventual state champions for the last three years. Ummmm, its easy to keep your heads in the sand and blame the coach, but anyone on the outside looking in can see exactly what has happened.

Imagine what could have happened if all the discouragement about playing for a coach that runs the Wing T had actually been encouragement. A lot of "supporters" shot the program in the foot with their grumbling against the Wing T. The other schools capitalized on it and got back a lot of the athletes they had traditionally lost to R'Dale. And now you blame the coach for doing a pretty decent job with what has been created from outside influences.

Nolan recognized the lack of talent that was coming, and Rankin recognized it as well. Rankin left because he saw the handwriting on the wall. Nolan brought in a ball control offense expert because you can still win using it when you have lesser athletes. If you would support the offense and understand what it can do, you can still win at R'Dale. Keep bad mouthing it and the coach, and you will continue to get what you have, and everyone will be miserable. You will be making comparative statements about talent to try to prove your own point about how this team should still be winning championships, when in actuality, there is no realistic way they can. The talent hasnt left Rutherford County as is obvious by the last three years. The talent has left R'Dale. Coincides pretty close with Aydelott coming to R'dale and all the negative grumblings of "supporters" against the wing T.

Smyrna and Oakland owe you guys a lot.

Reality really stinks, doesnt it? So does taking responsibility for even so called "fans" and "supporters" role in creating this environment . Any takers?

If you guys think what you say around the community and on posting sites like this don't effect high school football programs, your heads are deeper in the sand that I thought. The proof is in exactly what has happened at R'Dale. Especially when you have high quality programs developing all over the county that can lure kids away. Maybe if you talked it up instead of down, you can get some of these athletes back.

R'Man, I saw several homes games and a couple of the R'County away games. Not an expert this year for sure, but I saw plenty. I try to see the top area teams each year. I am older than dirt and saw Aydelott coach at Hillboro and even back when he was an assistant at Stratford. Strange...saw a lot of winning going on at those schools. Watched R'Dale with Rankin for years too. The talent at R'dale currently is not even close in comparison. Those teams were stacked with size, speed, and skill. They had guys on the second string back then that would have started anywhere else in the state. Currently R'Dale has a few bright spots here and there, but no where close to previous years.

You admit that the talent a R'Dale is down, but then blame the lack of success on Aydelott not developing that very lack of talent. Kind of an oxymoron, right? Coaches develop what they have. When you have great talent, you win Regions and State Chmpionships. When you dont have talent, you do the best you can and hold on until it returns. For years, almost of the top Rutherford County football talent came to R'Dale. When it comes from the entire county, you get years of winning. Now the talent is being spread around quite a bit more, so it is not a consistent in coming to R'Dale. Yes, they do have to work to find a way to win with what walks through the doors. But the argument of comparing the past with the present doenst hold up. The county is completely different now and R'Dale just doenst have the athletes flocking to them like they used to.

Coach A brought in a new system. People are still arguing and resisting it. So you've now got less talent, and you've got resistors to his offensive scheming...pretty hard to win with that combo. So he changes the coaching staff to bring in like minded coaches. The coaches that left didnt want to move their families, so they stayed in the county, and took knowledge of Aydelott's system and used it against him, which is perfectly fine and expected. Quite possibly, some kids were swayed to go to those schools instead of R'Dale so more talent may have been pulled away. And he has been beaten by the eventual state champions for the last three years. Ummmm, its easy to keep your heads in the sand and blame the coach, but anyone on the outside looking in can see exactly what has happened.

Imagine what could have happened if all the discouragement about playing for a coach that runs the Wing T had actually been encouragement. A lot of "supporters" shot the program in the foot with their grumbling against the Wing T. The other schools capitalized on it and got back a lot of the athletes they had traditionally lost to R'Dale. And now you blame the coach for doing a pretty decent job with what has been created from outside influences.

Nolan recognized the lack of talent that was coming, and Rankin recognized it as well. Rankin left because he saw the handwriting on the wall. Nolan brought in a ball control offense expert because you can still win using it when you have lesser athletes. If you would support the offense and understand what it can do, you can still win at R'Dale. Keep bad mouthing it and the coach, and you will continue to get what you have, and everyone will be miserable. You will be making comparative statements about talent to try to prove your own point about how this team should still be winning championships, when in actuality, there is no realistic way they can. The talent hasnt left Rutherford County as is obvious by the last three years. The talent has left R'Dale. Coincides pretty close with Aydelott coming to R'dale and all the negative grumblings of "supporters" against the wing T.

Reality really stinks, doesnt it? So does taking responsibility for even so called "fans" and "supporters" role in creating this environment . Any takers?

If you guys think what you say around the community and on posting sites like this don't effect high school football programs, your heads are deeper in the sand that I thought. The proof is in exactly what has happened at R'Dale. Especially when you have high quality programs developing all over the county that can lure kids away. Maybe if you talked it up instead of down, you can get some of these athletes back.

good post

Look, there is no doubt that things have gone down. And I have no doubt that Coach Aydelott should shoulder some of the blame. But you guys are getting a little out of hand here. I keep reading LOD's and others posts complaining about the Wing-t. Well, having seen many games and knowing the wing-t system, what you guys run is not the wing-t through and through. Go watch a Goodpasture game if you want to see textbook Wing-T. You do have some wing-t principles in your blocking schemes and occasionally you run a "traditional" wing-t play. However, what Aydelott runs the most (in every year up to this year - I did not get a chance to see any games this season but I did in the spring) is option stuff. That system is based largely on the system that Paul Johnson uses at Georgia Tech.

I said all that to say this, the argument about the kind of offense he runs not working in "the big bad 5A" and its success being a "theory" is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. That system he is trying to run almost won Georgia Tech (who was terrible in the past) the ACC title. Now look, do his teams make WAY too many mistakes, sure. Is there a lack of discipline? IMO, from what I've heard, yes. Are these fireable offenses - if you say so. I don't have a beef with you guys not liking those things - but the offense he runs is not the problem. What you're doing essentially is sabotaging anyone who may want to run that system (and could be successful with it) after A is gone. Just because Rankin's stuff won you 4 state championships doesn't mean that he runs the only offense that can win at Riverdale. Just my 2 cents.

Nice post. I am by no means an expert but I still think that Rankin left because he saw the hand writting on the wall and felt the talent was on a down cycle.

My biggest gripe is the almost total LACK of DEFENSE! I do not care what form of offense you run if you can't stop the other team from scoring you are going to LOSE!

This lack of knowledge about DEFENSE was really bad this year when Coach A made the QB coach the DC! That is not lack of talent, it is just plain stupid and was ONE persons decision and it was not the players. This lack of knowledge first came out when even Coach A had admit to and take the blame for blowing the lead at McCallie!

Things have been going downhill every since!

Are we the fans suppose to be happy about it? Are we just to sit on the sidelines and say nothing?

AIN'T HAPPENING!

My biggest gripe is the almost total LACK of DEFENSE! I do not care what form of offense you run if you can't stop the other team from scoring you are going to LOSE!

This lack of knowledge about DEFENSE was really bad this year when Coach A made the QB coach the DC! That is not lack of talent, it is just plain stupid and was ONE persons decision and it was not the players. This lack of knowledge first came out when even Coach A had admit to and take the blame for blowing the lead at McCallie!

Things have been going downhill every since!

Are we the fans suppose to be happy about it? Are we just to sit on the sidelines and say nothing?

AIN'T HAPPENING!

Cannot argue with you at all there LOD. I was shocked when I heard who had been made the DC. From my understanding there wasn't even an interviewing process to find one. Was that the case? If so, that IS disheartening for Warrior fans. I am sure there were applications from qualified people, or at least I would THINK there would be considering its RIVERDALE.

Our problems are deeper than a wing t offense...we could not stop anyone on defense this year and if we needed a yard or 2 for a first down we could not get it...we fumbled in pre season and continued doing so throughout the season and it wasnt just 1 player doing the fumbling....CJ overton did some hard hitting but other than that we didnt hit anyone or fly to the football and when in the first half a team would run it down our throats to the right side no changes or adjustment had been made...during the course of the year we NEVER improved in any area we stayed the same the whole year...I would think a team would improve over the course of the year yet we never did...this years starters had very little playing time last year so we knew we would start slow but we stayed the way we started and never improved...

At RIVERDALE prior to coach A getting here we never had 5 lineman get scholarships for D1 yet he had that talent and did not get out of the qtr finals...if you ask any back they want the ball 20-25 times a game and if Dequinton Sherrill got the ball that many times you would actually be able to see his talent I really think he as the talent to be a very good back instead of running side to side let him get to the line of scrimmage quicker and let him get through the line he will make a lot of long runs... you can take average talent and make them good high school football players and Rankin did a good job of that there was only 1 team that he had that had as many D1 players as coach A had last year and that was the 94 team...that is what i mean about developing the talent...have you gone or watched a practice? players are standing around all over the place...

I LOVE MY WARRIORS and the kids i know know that i LOVE THEM i am involved with a lot at RIVERDALE and yet ive never seen coach A at a basketball game or a baseball game or anything how can you expect to get kids to come play for you when you are not ivolved with the school yourself?

Our problems are deeper than a wing t offense...we could not stop anyone on defense this year and if we needed a yard or 2 for a first down we could not get it...we fumbled in pre season and continued doing so throughout the season and it wasnt just 1 player doing the fumbling....CJ overton did some hard hitting but other than that we didnt hit anyone or fly to the football and when in the first half a team would run it down our throats to the right side no changes or adjustment had been made...during the course of the year we NEVER improved in any area we stayed the same the whole year...I would think a team would improve over the course of the year yet we never did...this years starters had very little playing time last year so we knew we would start slow but we stayed the way we started and never improved...

At RIVERDALE prior to coach A getting here we never had 5 lineman get scholarships for D1 yet he had that talent and did not get out of the qtr finals...if you ask any back they want the ball 20-25 times a game and if Dequinton Sherrill got the ball that many times you would actually be able to see his talent I really think he as the talent to be a very good back instead of running side to side let him get to the line of scrimmage quicker and let him get through the line he will make a lot of long runs... you can take average talent and make them good high school football players and Rankin did a good job of that there was only 1 team that he had that had as many D1 players as coach A had last year and that was the 94 team...that is what i mean about developing the talent...have you gone or watched a practice? players are standing around all over the place...

I LOVE MY WARRIORS and the kids i know know that i LOVE THEM i am involved with a lot at RIVERDALE and yet ive never seen coach A at a basketball game or a baseball game or anything how can you expect to get kids to come play for you when you are not ivolved with the school yourself?

Again, its hard to argue your very well placed arguments - and again all of your points were correct. I was just simply stating that the "Wing-T" system wasn't the problem. And both you and LOD have agreed with that I consider all of our points made. And yes, I saw SEVERAL practices and every game a year ago but I havn't seen any this year so I can't comment on the situation there, only the offense, which I do know well having seen it for years.

Well LOD and TDCman we whined, cried and bitc... moaned, then quit going to games to get in their pocketbook, even canceled my season tickets I had had for twenty years, until the change started. Wrote letters to the school board, even signed petitions and sent them to the AD and Principle. And finally it worked. Took two whole years. Don't really know what we will end up with but we got what we wanted.

Looks like LOD and R'Man are taking at least part of your advice. LOL.

Wanting to get rid of a coach is getting what you wanted? Without knowing what you will get? Yikes...I thought it was about improving the program. Funny how that wasnt mentioned...just to get rid of who you have is the goal, and then take a chance on who you are going to get. Must be lots of available coaches out there that you think can improve your program! Without know your situation and hiring process of your newly fired coach, whoever brought him in must have thought he would improve the program too, since that didnt work out, are you trusting the same people or hiring system to find his replacement?

Riverdale is a perfect example of negative community involvement. The outgoing coach leaves in advance of the downturn of talent he sees coming. He is respected thoughout the state. R'Dale replaces him with a successful, state respected coach who is willing to step up to the challenge of less talent. No one believes that Rankin knew the talent was falling off, and no one in the R'Dale believes that you cant win championships without talent, even in Riverdale. And somehow this is all the coaches fault. Wow.

If you have undisciplined unmotivated athletes, is that the coaches fault? In part yes, but isnt it more of the fault of the parent who raised him that way? Here's where this argument is leading...a coach is in a very precarious situation with athletes these days. If you come down to hard on an unmotivated, undisciplined kid, what's he going to do? These days, the trend is to just quit. So the coach runs off a bunch of kids trying to instill discipline and self motivation. So now you would be saying Aydelott ran off the athletes and doesnt understand kids these days.

Instead, he tried to work with what he has and does what he has to do to keep a full squad out and they are a little less disciplined than you are used to seeing at R'Dale. And so that is his fault too. See how you have a circular argument that either way you go, it is against a coach. So you have a community who has raised these kids to be what they are and that same community is speaking out against a coach when he cant change them from the way they were raised. And its all because most of you dont like the Wing T and have been speaking about it ever since Aydelotte was named. Believe me, some of you have been all over Coach T about it.

And please understand, I am talking in generalizations out of necessity. In no way am I speaking to any individual or to the group of athletes as a whole. I know there are lots of disciplined athletes with great parents and R'Dale.