Riverdale

Lost Old Dad

One of the best coaches ever at SMYRNA, he is also a fine man. A great hire for RIVERDALE. Gurantee the defensive side of the team will be working hard. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I have to comment on this one!! First, I think that Coach Wells is a fine man and really should not have been fired at Blackman (considering all that he had to tolerate last season, but that is history)

1.) best coaches ever at SMYRNA - not really, best coach at Smyrna has been Robbins; Blackman folks better hope that he is along for ride with your new head man. If not, ya'll might be disappointed! Wells tenure at Smyrna ranged from some very poor teams to some OK teams.

2.) great hire for RIVERDALE - this is the mystery /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> his pedigree does not bear this out?? Whearas your current HC has not had a losing season in well over a decade, but he is set to a different standard.

You Riverdale folks are amazing...........Wells is a fine fellow, but your expectations are not matched to the facts IMHO.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to comment on this one!! First, I think that Coach Wells is a fine man and really should not have been fired at Blackman (considering all that he had to tolerate last season, but that is history)

1.) best coaches ever at SMYRNA - not really, best coach at Smyrna has been Robbins; Blackman folks better hope that he is along for ride with your new head man. If not, ya'll might be disappointed! Wells tenure at Smyrna ranged from some very poor teams to some OK teams.

2.) great hire for RIVERDALE - this is the mystery /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> his pedigree does not bear this out?? Whearas your current HC has not had a losing season in well over a decade, but he is set to a different standard.

You Riverdale folks are amazing...........Wells is a fine fellow, but your expectations are not matched to the facts IMHO.

Some of us are not jumping up and down as we remember hanging 40 PLUS on Smyrna while he was there. Just going to be patient and see what this year brings and gets rid of.

My take is that Wells had to impress someone to get the head job at Blackman. I don't recall any "great" defenses at Smyrna or Blackman duirng tenure but he will almost certainly be a big improvement over last year. One definite plus is that he will bring some organizational skills that are needed...hopefully he'll be given the opportunity to contribute in that area.

The point on Wells' record, or lack thereof, is well taken but I'm definitely anxious to see what he can do with the defense and to see if he can help bring some consistency and confidence to the program. He has a lot of experience and should be able to help in a lot of areas if he's allowed to.

Is he at Riverdale now?

I think he will be an improvement over last year. I also think that our expectations have changed now. I think coach Wells is a good enough DC to get us in the playoffs

I believe the comment was, one of the best coaches ever at SMYRNA. That is IMO. Will agree with you on ROBBINS, at the highschool level,but the BEST coach that I ever saw at SMYRNA is COACH DONNIE CARTER, and that includes ROBBINS.

Riverdale does not deserve Coach Aydelott. Remember, he took the job after your idol, Rankin, walked away. Coach A is a better coach in a tougher situation. He won at Hillsboro without support. He came to Riverdale seeking the support of the administration and community. He got only the first part.

Stay in the bleachers and ridicule the man if you want. You will appreciate him more in the future when a lesser coach leads the Riverdale program. A program that no longer has its pick of the elite athletes in the county. A program that was headed to mediocrity as Rankin left for greener pastures.

Riverdale does not deserve Coach Aydelott. Remember, he took the job after your idol, Rankin, walked away. Coach A is a better coach in a tougher situation. He won at Hillsboro without support. He came to Riverdale seeking the support of the administration and community. He got only the first part.

Stay in the bleachers and ridicule the man if you want. You will appreciate him more in the future when a lesser coach leads the Riverdale program. A program that no longer has its pick of the elite athletes in the county. A program that was headed to mediocrity as Rankin left for greener pastures.

Not to say that those who bash Coach A are in the right, but the golden standard at Riverdale is championships. When you dont produce those at Riverdale, things are going to get dicey. He has the misfortune of replacing a legend as well as being reluctant to change to an offense that would be more successful for Riverdale.

Just wondering if one of the old Rankin assistants had gotten the head job and still lost....what would be said?

and i wonder if one of Rankins old assitstants had gotten the job and left most of the staff intact if we would have won 2 more state championships...

but we will never know the real answer and i think everyone wishes we had at least the 07 year to do again but thats the way it is now we will just go out and support the boys and cheer them on like ive been doing for a LONG time i will be there winning and losing

GO WARRIORS

I think Coach Aydelott needs to reverse the trend and get the rpogram turned around. He made some HUGE mistakes last year that even a "lesser" coach probably would not have made. That's in the past and we have a new season to prepare for.

I think everyone is pretty optimistic that we'll see improvement this year. Most of the staff is returning, they've had a year together, we have an experienced defensicve coordinator, a lot of statrters return, and there is talent walkiing the halls. I expect at least a deep playoff run this fall and we move forward from there.