The Best of Metro

In Hoc Signo Vinces

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Carletello from Ryan was untouchable in the early 90's.

Sorry Coug,

The thread states "Best in Metro". Can't consider Father Ryan as a metro school. I do have to admit Carletello was a great wrestler.

Adrian Northfleet was, is and will be for a long time to come THE best wrestler to come out of the Metro school District and possibly one of the best in the state of Tennesee. I heard a comment from a very respected individual in the wrestling community who is not active at this time make the comment that David Mang was the closest that he had seen to Adrian Northfleet. Guys, do you remember his senoir year state finals. He did and inside trip on a kid. Who in the world was doing inside trips in 1988. I consider Adrian to be the Jimmy Hendricks of wrestling. He was innovative and exciting to watch. I am just saddened that he hasn't payed forward the knowlege and skills he has.

Sorry Coug,

The thread states "Best in Metro". Can't consider Father Ryan as a metro school. I do have to admit Carletello was a great wrestler.

Adrian Northfleet was, is and will be for a long time to come THE best wrestler to come out of the Metro school District and possibly one of the best in the state of Tennesee. I heard a comment from a very respected individual in the wrestling community who is not active at this time make the comment that David Mang was the closest that he had seen to Adrian Northfleet. Guys, do you remember his senoir year state finals. He did and inside trip on a kid. Who in the world was doing inside trips in 1988. I consider Adrian to be the Jimmy Hendricks of wrestling. He was innovative and exciting to watch. I am just saddened that he hasn't payed forward the knowlege and skills he has.

You know he was some kind of special being selected as one of MC Hammers dancers for 5 years. It would be nice to have him in the area still helping middle tn kids out and saying hey to everyone involved in wrestling.

hey COACHMICK.... where is Adrian now????

You know he was some kind of special being selected as one of MC Hammers dancers for 5 years. It would be nice to have him in the area still helping middle tn kids out and saying hey to everyone involved in wrestling.

TNKO, whats up man? All this talk about the old metro teams brings out GREAT old memories. I tell our kids all the time that back in those days (before wrestling got watered down), it was more like going to a fight than a wrestling match. We were so much tougher then and the metro teams were a factor in the state. No matter who the other team had wrestling, you better be ready for them, because it would be a dog fight. There were a lot of really great wrestlers in the 80's and not just in metro but also in surrounding counties. In the late 80's, we (WHITES CREEK) used to hand it to a lot of teams. Hunters Lane was always tough as were many others. If you want to go back a little further, McGavock ruled for a while. That was when all the schools were in the same state and everyone in your region was aiming for the private schools, like Brentwood Academy and Father Ryan. Not to discredit anyone who has done good since, but you had to be extremely good to place in the state during that time, which brings up "Who do I think is the best wrestler to ever come out of a metro school and possibly out of this state?" Hands down, ADRIAN NORFLEET! Not only was he and still is a very good friend of mine, he was also like part of my family. He and his brother had it rough growing up and once his grandmother died, which is who cared for them, they basically stayed at my house all the time. He overcame great adversity to become a 3 time state champ basically off of just takedowns. No one really ever came close. I think it was his sophomore year he wrestled a senior from Notre Dame, (Ira ?) that hadn't been beat in a couple of years and Adrian teched him. Unfortuanately, after the MC Hammer stint, he had no one around to help guide him like GP West and Tony Rowland did and his decision making was rather bad. I can't say where he is now because I would do nothing to tarnish the image that everyone remembers him by, he deserves all the praise he gets, but he is ok and is trying to straighten his life out. If anyone can do it, he can. All I can say is that we as coaches are not only coaches, we are also mentors to some of these kids. Some of them don't have that type of person in their life to help guide them, and all of the talent in the world can't help them survive life without someone showing them right from wrong. So if any of you have someone like this on your team, remember that you could possibly be what helps them in life and not what they do on the mat.

ADRIAN LIVES IN HOUSTON, TX

TNKO, whats up man? All this talk about the old metro teams brings out GREAT old memories. I tell our kids all the time that back in those days (before wrestling got watered down), it was more like going to a fight than a wrestling match. We were so much tougher then and the metro teams were a factor in the state. No matter who the other team had wrestling, you better be ready for them, because it would be a dog fight. There were a lot of really great wrestlers in the 80's and not just in metro but also in surrounding counties. In the late 80's, we (WHITES CREEK) used to hand it to a lot of teams. Hunters Lane was always tough as were many others. If you want to go back a little further, McGavock ruled for a while. That was when all the schools were in the same state and everyone in your region was aiming for the private schools, like Brentwood Academy and Father Ryan. Not to discredit anyone who has done good since, but you had to be extremely good to place in the state during that time, which brings up "Who do I think is the best wrestler to ever come out of a metro school and possibly out of this state?" Hands down, ADRIAN NORFLEET! Not only was he and still is a very good friend of mine, he was also like part of my family. He and his brother had it rough growing up and once his grandmother died, which is who cared for them, they basically stayed at my house all the time. He overcame great adversity to become a 3 time state champ basically off of just takedowns. No one really ever came close. I think it was his sophomore year he wrestled a senior from Notre Dame, (Ira ?) that hadn't been beat in a couple of years and Adrian teched him. Unfortuanately, after the MC Hammer stint, he had no one around to help guide him like GP West and Tony Rowland did and his decision making was rather bad. I can't say where he is now because I would do nothing to tarnish the image that everyone remembers him by, he deserves all the praise he gets, but he is ok and is trying to straighten his life out. If anyone can do it, he can. All I can say is that we as coaches are not only coaches, we are also mentors to some of these kids. Some of them don't have that type of person in their life to help guide them, and all of the talent in the world can't help them survive life without someone showing them right from wrong. So if any of you have someone like this on your team, remember that you could possibly be what helps them in life and not what they do on the mat.

WOW! now that was inspiring. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

CoachMick could you please elaborate on Tony Rowland's career. I know he is currently living in Nolensville and his son is a beast for ravenwood football, but could you give me a summary of his career?

I'm pretty certain he wrestled at MTSU with Pat Simpson of Ryan.

Tony Rowland wrestled @ Mapelwood High School & Middle Tennessee State University for Coach Gordon Connell. When MTSU droped their program he transfered to the University of Nevada Las Vegas where it seems like he won their region and was seeded at the NCAA tournament but failed to become an All-American. Tony is responsible for training Adrian Norfleet & Mike Newman plus many others during the 80's & early 90's.

Tony Rowland wrestled @ Mapelwood High School & Middle Tennessee State University for Coach Gordon Connell. When MTSU droped their program he transfered to the University of Nevada Las Vegas where it seems like he won their region and was seeded at the NCAA tournament but failed to become an All-American. Tony is responsible for training Adrian Norfleet & Mike Newman plus many others during the 80's & early 90's.

Cbg said it all. Thats all right, the only other thing to add was that he was an Olympic qualifer and alternate to 2 different Olympics. He is also my past coach like Adrian and a personal family friend. Also, he is still coaching kids out of his place in Nolensville. He recently is working with some kids from David Lipscomb, MLK, and Ensworth.

In my opinion, White beat Fuller simply because he was a better raw athlete. Fuller is a far better wrestler but White is just a beast, especially at 152. That's not meant as an insult to either kids respective talents, just my breakdown of that match.

Daniel White only started wresting his sophmore year. He didn't wrestle in middle school. He struggle his sophmore year but still places 4th in a tough Region 6. His Junior year he did exceptionally well beating some state placers in the process before being sidelined with a rib cartilage injury that ended his season. He won it his senior season. Daniel White is an athlete and his passion is football. If he had concentrated on wrestling you would be talking about him as one of the best wrestler to ever come out of Tennessee. Daniel was just too hard to take down and he was just to explosive for many of his competitors

Daniel White only started wresting his sophmore year. He didn't wrestle in middle school. He struggle his sophmore year but still places 4th in a tough Region 6. His Junior year he did exceptionally well beating some state placers in the process before being sidelined with a rib cartilage injury that ended his season. He won it his senior season. Daniel White is an athlete and his passion is football. If he had concentrated on wrestling you would be talking about him as one of the best wrestler to ever come out of Tennessee. Daniel was just too hard to take down and he was just to explosive for many of his competitors

Here is a better question. Is there any hope for the Nashville Metro Schools in sports?

Since moving back 3 years ago, I was shocked to see the lack of support in the Metro system for the scools and Sports teams.

I like what I see at East Lit (The old East High). The Coach's and parents really love their program. Who else in Metro is stepping it up?

Coming from a program in the late 70's that only lost 1 match in 3 years. It's been tough seeing what the wrestling world of Metro Nash has turned into. I hope it changes. I would love to see TSB come back and know Overtons coach loves his program.

Just my 2 cents. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="