All-State Selection

jlancaster

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who nominates the players for the TNFCA All Stars? Who votes for the players?

Why do they not select a player for each position, offense and defense?

It is an inside system that brings recognition to players, but it is not

a comprehensive list.

stantrott,

I cant believe Caleb Leonard from Knox Halls did not make the 4A TFCA AllState team. I have asked around and what you said about coaches having to be members to nominate and vote is not true.. It is true for the allstar game.

The differences will be solid. The teams in Regions 1 & 2 are well representated by the NET media. A media member is at every game doing play by play evidenced by the interviewing occuring after each game and presented the next day by the participating media. I dare say any other media in the state is any less diligent in reporting their regions games...regardless of classification. The affiliated media representatives in NET are well in tune with the athletes from Gatlingurg to the Kentucky/Virginia border as a north/south boundary and then all the way to Virginia/North Carolina lines as an eastern boundary. We are the unsung regions of the state so I don't believe any one is any less represented. If that is the case...and I believe it is then the AP poll is superior in any argument to the coaches poll simply due to completeness. No one left to fall through the cracks or fly under the radar by the end of the season due to diligence on the part of the affiliated media to promote their respected regions. If the coaches poll is not 100% representative then it is conjecture...purely and simply. Period. A coach should not have to belong to an organization and pay a fee to promote his potential "All State" athletes. In this regard, it is best to let the third party...i.e. the "affiliated media" do the ground work and make the unbiased suggestions. After all, they are the ones following the respected athletes each and every week and reporting thereof as the crux of their job. As I see it, the affliated media, as such, should as well be the association to select the roster for the All-Star games. This way no one could raise a brow or question the so called politics in regard to the current selection process for the rosters. The you say, who would select the coaches? I'll leave that up to someone else. I would venture to say that if a coach is not accomidated fairly and does not have some say so in who is on his roster then it would not be as attractive to many coaches. But at least it would be fair to the athletes and a better representation of the talent displayed.

Just my view. Many will disagree but I feel given the facts that this is the only legitamate way of finalizing a career of hard work not only for the household names but also for the unsung heroes.

bump /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

stantrott,

You raise some great questions. It is my understanding, as I posted earlier, all head coaches can nominate there players. All coaches can vote on the allstate team. You do not have to be a member of there organization to nominate or vote.

Now if what I have been told is not right, would somebody please put down exactly what is the way this team is selected. Thank you

stantrott,

You raise some great questions. It is my understanding, as I posted earlier, all head coaches can nominate there players. All coaches can vote on the allstate team. You do not have to be a member of there organization to nominate or vote.

Now if what I have been told is not right, would somebody please put down exactly what is the way this team is selected. Thank you

I am not Stan but if I may intrude I would like to pose one question to you. Is there an unequivacably All State Athlete in your region that did not make all state? And did he get invited to the All Star game?

stantrott,

I cant believe Caleb Leonard from Knox Halls did not make the 4A TFCA AllState team. I have asked around and what you said about coaches having to be members to nominate and vote is not true.. It is true for the allstar game.

I read in The Courier News that Caleb made the 2008 Tennessee Sportswriters Association All-State team.

Region 3-4A All-State Selections were....Halls-Caleb Leonard, Powell-Keir Houston, Clinton-Darian Stone, Maryville-Marcus Englehardt,Cody McCoy, Jefffey Booker.

compusatman,

Well I reckon not. But my question is just this, how can Caleb Leonard make one allstate team and not make another. One was writers in sports departmints and the other was coaches. I dont understand.

Stan is not one to beat the bush over and over. He has already made his statement and his view is keenly clear. You must make your decision as to who you think is the more important association of people. Stop trying to understand why it is not 100% effecient. The fact is that it is not and it will not be. Not all coaches belong to the coaches association. Not all nomimate players to that organization. Not all have a vote in determining the ultimate all state list. On the other hand, the TSWA is represented in each region by more than one entity (i.e. more than one media reporting associate...newspaper, TV station etc.) and by all regions across the state. No one is left out. The coaches list is not 100% represented. Therefore it is grossly incomplete. If you check both lists there are concensus choices but not many.

devilsden -

Thanks for all your inquiries for Caleb. However, I must make sure everyone on here realizes that you are not related to Caleb - just asking questions. Remember that our team went 4-6 this year. If Caleb (and others) had that great a year, the results should have resulted in more victories.

We are very pleased that Caleb has been fortunate to receive any post-season awards. We can thank Coach Julian for pushing him - without him Caleb would not have won any.

The award given this week from the Nashville Tennessean as a member of the "dream team" floored us. We are very thankful for any awards, but trust me when I say he would have swapped them for a Senior season with more wins (his ONLY goal this year was a state championship)

Again thank you for bringing him up in your conversation devilsden, but let's be happy for what he got. With a 4-6 record this year I think we will be happy with any post-season awards that come his way.