And Portland Now Has A Coach

The old clich?©, ???Don??™t judge a book by its cover??? especially if you do not know the man! He obviously won the job for a reason. Every HC begins their journey somewhere and his is at Portland. If you really knew this guy then you would know his determination and passion for football and kids. He always has a positive attitude and the players love him for his disciplined hard working nature. If anything shake his hand and say hi. His 6??™5 300lb+ body frame's hand would probably swallow your hand. It did mine the first time I shook his hand, and then I stopped.

My favorite team the Titans hired a HC awhile back when they were in Houston. This particular coach at first was thought to be the worst hire ever as an NFL coach. The fans in Houston were outraged when this happened. His first 5 games he went 0-5, and his head was on a chopping plate. However, I think we are all glad that Fisher persevered through that because he is one heck of a coach today.

He proved it Sunday in Houston /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was the oc/line coach for LaVergne who returned one starter on the offense. Ask the head coach if you are not sure. They are best friends. They both shared playcalling duties, but he called a bigger %. Being from the Rutherford and Bedford area I can tell you his offense at Shelbyville was not the problem. He also coached at Gallatin and in Georgia for several years. Yes he has coached winning teams.

SEVERAL years? He has only been coaching a total of 6 years - this according to his teacher webpage on LaVergne's website. If he was at LHS for one year and at Shelbyville before that, how could he have also been at Gallatin and then in Georgia for SEVERAL years? This doesn't add up. You also say that his offense in Shelbyville wasn't the problem, then what was? If it was lack of athletes, then, sorry, he'll have the same issue in P-Town. Good luck anyway!

Sounds like you are a little bitter that you did not get the job. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> You must feel pretty worthless then because you depict this guy to know nothing. What does that make you? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Go Blue Devils in 09

I am not a coach, just a logical observer, and I have a great job, so, no, I am not bitter. I surely do not feel worthless because I am saved by the One whose birthday I am about to celebrate. He makes me feel worthwhile everyday. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I did not depict the man as anything. I simply asked a sensible question that you (or anyone else) cannot answer. The question is: How does 6 years divided by at least 4 schools = several years anywhere?

i understand that coach sanders went to his interview carrying the binders to install the tony franklin spread offense that worked so well at lavergne and auburn this year /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> .

i don't understand the concept of installing an offense before you see your talent. if the talent dictates to you to run spread, run spread, if you the talent dictates to you to run wing-t, run wing-t, etc. an example of this thinking, if you recall, is bill curry at uk having tim couch run i-formation triple option his freshman year.

You are correct, but this is so very typical of young coaches. They have A system, instead of working knowledge of many systems. Talent dictates style.......not the other way around. Although spread offense is the "taste of the week" as of late...........it certainly does not fit all situations and talent levels. Portland in the spread? Might be fine.....but thier is NOTHING worse than a bad spread team. He better be sure, otherwise........well..........repeat.

i understand that coach sanders went to his interview carrying the binders to install the tony franklin spread offense that worked so well at lavergne and auburn this year /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> .

i don't understand the concept of installing an offense before you see your talent. if the talent dictates to you to run spread, run spread, if you the talent dictates to you to run wing-t, run wing-t, etc. an example of this thinking, if you recall, is bill curry at uk having tim couch run i-formation triple option his freshman year.

Sorry to hear that your source is wrong. The Tony Franklin system will not be installed at PHS, nor was it discussed in the interview or in a binder. LaVergne ran the T.F. system through the head coach??™s request.

That is the key right there; you cant hand pick players in hs to fit your preferences like in college (most hs anyway).....

Ok.....I have been informed as to the identity of your coach and he shares a history with Oakland. He was the center on their runner-up state championship team from 98, and won all-state. he also played ball at MTSU.I know he was hard to move out of the hole and presented some challenges for Oakland's D line in our game with them. I always have said to be a good coach, you have to know the game and if you are a superb center you KNOW it> you ar e TOTALLY aware of how important a relationship is b/t a QB and the O line....not to mention tactics to try to avoid any contact to your QB. He also understands that to win a game it has to begin in the trenches. Our O line cost us last yr at OHS b/c I don't think they really ever understood zone blocking , and our OC wasn't an ex lineman. You can work on technique all day long with your backs, but unless the line is doing their part, it is fruitless!

I have total respect for Will Hester and if he believed in Sanders enough to hire him, Portland .......give this guy a chance!