And Portland Now Has A Coach

He was well-coached and made it to the championship game as a player. Sorry, but that can ONLY help to know what it takes to go to the big dance and want to repeat it as a coach.

I poohed poohed young coaches too, but fact is that our head coach is around 30 and now has a ring to show for it.

Don't knock the guy until you have a reason to . It sounds like he is going in excited and with all guns blazing. It could be a LOT worse.....kids will pick up on his enthusiasm and we all know you have to be able to sell what you are trying to instill.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this right, you are saying since he went there in high school(as a player) then he knows how to do it as a coach. OK Lets now look at Portland's coaching staff that got fired: Beavers the head coach was an assistance on the 2000 state championship team and also on the state runner up in 99. This is also true for Coach Curry, and Coach Venable. If that wasn't enough by it self lets look at some of the other coaches. Hunter Hicks was a captain on the State Champion team. Who also played on the 99 team. Chase Brooks who played on the 2000 and 99 team was a Mr Football running back. Chad Bruce and Derek Boyd who graduated in 02 had the best 4 years of any classes that has ever came through Portland only losing like 4 games. (and they also played on the state team in 2000 and 99) Jimmy "Boy" Parker went to the state 3 times at a private school. So you would figure that they would know a little something about what it takes to get there. Or maybe it is true of what has been said on the Portland threads: That Portland has no talent and those Coaches did the best they could with there "athletes" . Only time will tell Good Luck to coach Sanders and his athletes in 2009.

I just said that b/c he played on a runner-up team, he realizes what it takes to get there. Obviously he had to put in extra hrs as a player, and give up a lot to be a part of a team that went a lot of extra weeks....which shows his dedication and drive. Some coaches don't seem to want to give up any of their personal time these days, and it helps to have a coach who knows you have to sacrifice.

We had an assistant at OHS last yr who played on a state champ team, was an asst on a state champ team.....but was in way over his head calling our offense. He no longer called it this yr and we won state....giving him another ring. So his experience really didn't help him so much last yr in a leadership role.

My point I was trying to make was that I think that ex linemen see the entire field better than guys who only played in the backfield.....so that is a plus for Sanders I think. O linemen are the backbone of a team.

I don't know enough about Portland or its history to really argue this..... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Gary Sanders is a first class man that has his priorities straight. He said that he wants to instill a family atmosphere on the team. He is reaching out to the community. He has been a family man since the age 19. He has already expressed interest in the players at the middle school. He desires that every player feel like they are a part of the team. He is doing the right things to be successful.

Nobody knows how well the man will do as the coach. However, he has the right ideas to move him forward. My agenda on here would be to ask Portland fans to give him time and watch to see the differences in his team. It will NOT be an overnight turn around. Let the man do what he believes and you will see success, get in the way and we'll be talking about a new coach three years from now. He deserves our support, the players deserve our support.

New coach is quoted in the local newspaper stating that "you don't have to have athletes to win." Any comments on this?

Are having athletes a prerequisite to win football games? What is an athlete, what isn??™t an athlete? The new coach probably was tired of hearing everyone say there are no athletes in Portland. I think it was a way of saying that he can get the job done regardless of what people say.

Are having athletes a prerequisite to win football games? What is an athlete, what isn??™t an athlete? The new coach probably was tired of hearing everyone say there are no athletes in Portland. I think it was a way of saying that he can get the job done regardless of what people say.

Wow.........what a rube. Good luck to Willie Wonka

Yes, I would say that having at least a few athletes is a prerequisite to winning games especially when you are competing against teams that have them. Athletes are players that are bigger, faster, and stronger than you. Of course there are teams that are full of athletes but are poorly coached that may not be as successful. That certainly has not been the case at Portland.

The new coach should be glad that people are saying Portland has no athletes. What if everyone said the team was loaded and he was not successful - he would look worse if the fans' expectations were high. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Yes, I would say that having at least a few athletes is a prerequisite to winning games especially when you are competing against teams that have them. Athletes are players that are bigger, faster, and stronger than you. Of course there are teams that are full of athletes but are poorly coached that may not be as successful. That certainly has not been the case at Portland.

The new coach should be glad that people are saying Portland has no athletes. What if everyone said the team was loaded and he was not successful - he would look worse if the fans' expectations were high. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

From the Dictionary

Main Entry: ath?·lete

Pronunciation: ?€ath-??l?“t, ?·?€a-th?™-??l?“t

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athl?“t?“s, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest

Date: 15th century

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Nope, does not say anything about winning games. Players are what you make them, not what they currently are among the pundits.

From the Dictionary

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athl?“t?“s, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Nope, does not say anything about winning games. Players are what you make them, not what they currently are among the pundits.

First of all, a person cannot make another person anything unless they are willing to put forth their own effort and ambition.

Also, according to your philosophy, a great coach could, given enough time, take Red Boiling Springs and beat let's say Maryville, right? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

From the Dictionary

ge?·net?·ics

Pronunciation: j?™-?€ne-tiks

Function: noun plural but singular in construction

Date: 1905

1 : a branch of biology that deals with the heredity and variation of organisms

2 : the genetic makeup and phenomena of an organism, type, group, or condition

??” ge?·net?·i?·cist -?€ne-t?™-sist noun

and you point is?.............

From the Dictionary

According to to your philosophy that with that right coaching and training and a tremendous will to win and give great effort..........I should be able to defend Shaq in the paint. darn'it!!!!................Ive been lied to all these years!!