Lane Kiffin at CPA / FRA Game

CPA4Ever

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would he play football? or go to a mid major and play D1 basketball.

he could walk-on at UT for basketball, they could use a big body like that in Knoxville.

Z has Basketball offers from UTC, MTSU, Virginia Common., WKU, Austin Peay, Murry St., Tennessee St., and a few others that he has little or no interest in. Kentucky's coaches were there to see him in the game vs. Warren Central in Bowling Green, they have interest and are considering offering him, despite their reservations about his height for playing post.

As for Football, the main contender for Mason's services right now is Ole Miss. They had him down for an official visit this weekend and have offered him. UT must be trying to get in the mix now, seeing the potential that Z has. I assume that he is being recruited as a TE, but DE would make sense for him as well. I also know that UK's tight end's coach came to CPA to meet with Z, as did a coach from Miami(OH), however I don't have full details about his offers for football.

Mason has long considered basketball his favorite sport and his future, however this has shifted in the past year. He's grown to love football along with basketball and sees that the potential is much greater choosing the SEC football route. Although I think he would be smart to play football, I hope that he chooses whichever he loves most and what is best for his family, and that he sticks to it and works hard.

This kid Z Mason, I like his game. He will play D1 Football or Basketball, heck he can play both. I seen this kid play and he has talent and game. HE IS NOT LAZY. He works hard, he has the best work ethic that I have ever seen. On the football field, he made majority of the plays they move him to FB because the RB's wasnt getting the job done. But it helped Z out because it trimmed his body down and developed more muscle. In Basketball, CPA system might have him playing the post but this kid can handle the point guard position and play shooting guard. If Drew would let him play point guard, Z would do a great job because it would open the whole floor up because think about this how many teams in middle tn allow a 6'6 player play point. The only programs that I know would do that are your Memphis high school Teams thats why so many D1 school go to Memphis looking for players because they know how these players can play. (Elliot Williams, Leslie McDonald) (kids at Ridgeway) Middle Tn high schools are really hurting these players, I believe as a coach you have put these kids in a position to make them a complete player. SO what if the kid is 6'6 let him play point guard, shooting guard,and post. Do you think station camp let john jenkins only play post (N0) Z Mason can play the shooting guard position, man in the state last year he was a beast out there, shooting 3's posting up, blocking shots, rebounding, and making steals. If the officials didnt make the mistake with the last call CPA would have won the state last year. If this kid goes to UT for basketball, he will play the 3 position and be good at it. Bruce Pearl will not look past him. If the kid goes football at UT he will play TE or DE and be good at it. Every DE and TE that played at UT has always went to the NFL.

I like Z's game too, but the fact is he's an undersized post or power forward and a mid major basketball prospect. If he's not in the top 10-20 football prospects in Tennessee, then UT has no business looking at him in football either. I haven't seen him on that list, in fact he's N/R on rivals which is 2 stars or less. I just don't see Kiffin making that kind of reach. He might be looking at all the instate guys that he hears about and evaluating them. I don't know. You don't want to beat Austin Peay and Chattanooga out for players is all that I'm saying. February 4th is right around the corner. We'll see.

here's a link to the Knoxville News Sentinel's top 20 football prospects in Tennessee.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/gvx/top20tn/2008/

I like Z's game too, but the fact is he's an undersized post or power forward and a mid major basketball prospect. If he's not in the top 10-20 football prospects in Tennessee, then UT has no business looking at him in football either. I haven't seen him on that list, in fact he's N/R on rivals which is 2 stars or less. I just don't see Kiffin making that kind of reach. He might be looking at all the instate guys that he hears about and evaluating them. I don't know. You don't want to beat Austin Peay and Chattanooga out for players is all that I'm saying. February 4th is right around the corner. We'll see.

here's a link to the Knoxville News Sentinel's top 20 football prospects in Tennessee.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/gvx/top20tn/2008/

I agree mostly with what you said but please note that Z's football rivals page is never updated and obviously lacks to mention any of the schools interested in him for Football, just basketball. That said, I wouldn't expect to see Z on many top prospect lists, although he is on some, mostly because he didn't really start playing football until this year. He had been on the team, but this last season he was the team on the offensive side of the ball. And I am much more inclined to trust the interest of recruiters and coaches than that of a website. And the fact is, the coaches are coming after him, so no matter the opinion of mine, yours, or anyone's on here, there must be a reason for it. Most of the other guys you see on those prospect lists have been the star players of their team their whole career and have focused on football alone. Mason has always been more focused on basketball until this year. Also, I disagree with whoever thinks that he can go into a big time basketball program or SEC football program and have an immediate impact. Do I think that down the road a few years he can do something for them, certainly. Much of Z's recruitment for football is based on his physical abilities, size, and athleticism, and not as much for what he has done on the field over his career. Once he gets to school, hits the weight room hard, and plays with much better talent around him, I think that the sky is the limit with him.

I don't disagree with that and there are a few nuggets missed by the miners every now and then. A few.

I could see it more from Fulmer I guess than Kiffin, since he's been on the job and evaluating high school football players for a month maybe.

Whatever the case, I DO hope everything works out for Z. He's fun to watch in basketball and he was a load at DE as a freshman as I recall.

Z has Basketball offers from UTC, MTSU, Virginia Common., WKU, Austin Peay, Murry St., Tennessee St., and a few others that he has little or no interest in. Kentucky's coaches were there to see him in the game vs. Warren Central in Bowling Green, they have interest and are considering offering him, despite their reservations about his height for playing post.

As for Football, the main contender for Mason's services right now is Ole Miss. They had him down for an official visit this weekend and have offered him. UT must be trying to get in the mix now, seeing the potential that Z has. I assume that he is being recruited as a TE, but DE would make sense for him as well. I also know that UK's tight end's coach came to CPA to meet with Z, as did a coach from Miami(OH), however I don't have full details about his offers for football.

Mason has long considered basketball his favorite sport and his future, however this has shifted in the past year. He's grown to love football along with basketball and sees that the potential is much greater choosing the SEC football route. Although I think he would be smart to play football, I hope that he chooses whichever he loves most and what is best for his family, and that he sticks to it and works hard.

UK isn't recruiting Z. Mason.... They were at the Warren Central game for Jordan Shanklin and George Fant of Central. They are top rated Soph's in Ky.

UK isn't recruiting Z. Mason.... They were at the Warren Central game for Jordan Shanklin and George Fant of Central. They are top rated Soph's in Ky.

Well thats great, but did it cross your mind that they could be there for ALL these players? Kentucky has been sending Z a letter just about every day for the past year, and I know for a fact that they are recruiting him.

He did spend time in Henry Co., but was just too late for the party! Teague could have been part of something special at UT. Oh well, gotta go where you heart is, but I just hate to see kids believing anything that Pric$ Urban says! He would lie to Jesus! Good luck to Teague, whereever he winds up! I heard the Mason kid is a beast!

Good post. I like the name too.

There is no truth to this statement about Kentucky being there to watch Zeke play. They were there to whatc the two sophs from Warren Central that CPA was playing against (Shanklin and Fant) and Jon Hood who played with us in the summer who is committed to Kentucky. Amazing how things get twisted.

Zeke is a good player, not a SEC level player but would be a solid Mid Major PF somewhere.