Who is The best Running Back in The State?

TheCoach93

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lavonte barber is up and coming. i have seen riggs, the bullocks, the fields, stefon woods, dante hickey , the cobbs, even brock and stewart, in my time. that said i think they all were and all are amazing backs. and comparing them would be hard. but lavonte barber has the best cut move of any of them, he's a replica of barry sanders not just in his build but in his movement. he has real potential, and if his line does well this year , you ll see his potential,he makes the grades at school, and doesnt get into trouble, so he may be the first great rb from cleveland to actually be able to utilize his talents. his sophomore campaign consisted of 9 games in which he averaged 10.1 yards per carry with 933 yards total and 103 yds per game. he threw a 30 yd pass for a touchdown on a reverse against east ridge, and had two interceptions for td's on defense, along with a fumble recovery for a td, having a total 18 td's as a sophomore on a team deep with upperclassmen rb's in front of him.

Guest chattfbfan

not the best in numbers or physical stature ( 5'9 160 and 800 yds.)but rarely misses an oppurtunity to perform. maybe not the best, but he's a buddy, so i thought i'd throw him out there

Guest LCFalcons5n5

Troy Fleming played in the weakest division of football in the state. How many linebackers has he been plowing over in the SEC ? He's a good role player that catches out of the backfield good. This state has seen better running backs.

If he was running up all of those yards against 5A opponents, then he would have been great.

[Edited by LCFalcons5n5 on 8-30-02 9:27A]

Posted by sweetreb:

carl is unreal, but i think a lot of people forget about T.J. brock. If you asked carl or tj who they thought the better was they would both say the other out of respect. Oh and whoever said carl never got carries towards to the goal line is wrong. Both were amazing to watch together, one was bluecross mvp one year and the other the next, with both rushing over a 100 yards against hillsboro

Both Carl and TJ are studs! They have a different style.

TJ is a great cutback runner who can make you miss. He has great vision.TJ is as tough as they come.TJ will try to make you miss but he will lower that shoulder and get those extra yards.I wish he was in a Maryville uniform.

Carl is a straight ahead power runner. If you are in his way he will run over you.Carl runs hard every second he is out there.His vision and cutback ability is not as good as TJ's but Carl is bigger and stronger and probably a little faster.

Chris McCord is a very good back also.He is Michael Potter reincarnated.He hits the hole quicker than TJ or Carl.

Maryville's backfield is second to none in the state. It would be even better if TJ was still on the team. If TJ was still on Maryville's team not only would Maryville have the best backfield in the state but I would also say it would have been one of the best ones in the southeast if not the country.

Antonio Byner is looking good too. He is quick as a hiccup. Him and McCord will be a very good tandem next year.

Guest caligula

Michale Potter was better than Flemming,lol. Troy was beast. TJ and Carl are very good. If you look at TJ run he looks like he is busting through mall traffic. He's got that compact style and he stars really hard upfield.

Best Runnin backs i have seen in the last 20 years where...

Scotter Edwards---DCA---Small Division but anyone that saw him play would agree

Curtis Woodard---East Robertson---Ask Trousdale i watched him abouse those kids in a playoff game one year.

Jason DUnavant and the flemming contingent at BGA where all good players as well.

Leroy Thompson was a stud! Led Austin East to 2 state titles and 1 runnerup. Maryville had the misfortune of playing AE when Leroy was there.

Santonio Beard was very good. Dante Hickey,Keith and Kevin Cobb were studs.

Gerald Riggs was a great player. Ran all over Riverdale in 2000 blue cross bowl. Maryville shut him down last season because they dominated the line of scrimmage.

Kelcey Williams was very good. He was a big strong runner.

Demetruis Fields was very good. He ran all over Maryville that night. I wonder what he is doing?

Shaun Bohannon was very good.Shaun Summers was another good runner from Oak Ridge. Cory Booker is their next big stud.

Adonis Johnson was quick as a cat. Dobyns Bennett had a great team 2 years ago.

Reggie Brown of Loudon in the early 80s was a stud. He would have been a great one at UT had he stayed out of trouble. Him and Cedrick Cline were heck that year for Loudon.

George Parker of Alcoa in the late 70s was Alcoa's best runner I ever saw. Of course I never saw Albert Davis either.Most older fans I talk to say he was a lot better than Leroy Thompson was. They say Albert was the greatest player they ever saw.

Carl Stewart and TJ Brock are great players. They were great together.Best backfield I ever saw at Maryville.

All these running backs are studs. But! There is one who I think may be a little better than everyone else I have watched. His name is Travis Cozart.

Travis Cozart was 6'2 220lbs and ran like the wind.A great athlete. I think Carl Stewart reminds me a little of Travis.

I remember Maryville playing at Lenior City and Cozart had 275 yds rushing and over 100 yds receiving that game.He nearly beat Maryville by himself.That was the best performance from a running back I ever saw. He didn't have the talent around him that Leroy Thompson,Dante Hickey and Santonio Beard had. Cozart was Lenoir City's offense. Maryville was helpless against Cozart.Had he stayed out of trouble he would have beaten Jay Graham out at tailback for UT.