CLEVELAND---Notre-Dame

Raider76

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Times and Ward today.

Cleveland washed over Notre Dame like rain runoff on a low-lying highway Tuesday night, but the Blue Raiders??™ wrestling victory was little more than a tuneup for next week??™s battle of Bradley County.

The Irish, three-time defending A/AA state duals champions, were no match for third-ranked Cleveland, which improved to 17-2 with its 48-10 decision.

The Blue Raiders, who are unbeaten in meets with Tennessee teams, host second-ranked Bradley Central next Tuesday.

General admission will cost $5 per person but will be limited because the Cleveland gym holds only about 2,000 people. For those who want a good seat and don??™t want to stand in line, Cleveland has initiated a fundraiser and set aside 200 gym-center tickets ??” 100 on each side ??” for $20 each. Those seats can be obtained through Mike Hatcher at 303-0760 or coachhatcher@gmail.com.

The meet is likely to be a lot closer than Tuesday??™s decision in Chattanooga.

???It was a great effort overall. We lost two close matches we could have won,??? Cleveland coach Heath Eslinger said. ???I knew we could come down here and win, but I also knew we could come down here and leave disappointed. I??™m proud of the effort.???

Cleveland won 11 of the 14 matches including forfeit victories for Jesse Jones at 171 and heavyweight Adam Peters. The Blue Raiders got a pin from 130-pound Ivan Migovich and major decisions from Bailey Jones (140), Owen Garcia (160) and Max Ofori (215).

The meet started at 152 pounds, and Will Moreland??™s 6-5 decision of Dylan Heath started the Blue Raiders on a 29-0 run.

???He started us out in great fashion,??? Eslinger said. ???I have really challenged him this year ??” cut him no slack ??” and he has done a great job overcoming his diabetes.???

The Blue Raiders extended a 13-0 lead with back-to-back wins from 189-pound Chip Norwood, who edged Brendan Dusevic 4-3 and Ofori, who won 12-4 over Eric Phipps. Both Norwood and Ofori are unranked, while Dusevic and Phipps have been ranked most of the season.

Those wins and Peters??™ forfeit victory pushed the lead to 26-0, and Bryan Alvarado clipped Irish 103-pounder Grayson Mullin 3-0 before Notre Dame got a win. That first Irish victory came on Chase White??™s 6-5 decision of Brandon Strickland, but Notre Dame??™s only other wins came from unbeaten 125-pound Tee Boone, who squeezed out a 1-0 victory over Blake Oakes, and 135-pound Dillon May??™s pin of Dre Moore.

???We lost some close matches, but so did they,??? Notre Dame coach John Mullin said. ???We preach heart and hustle, and Cleveland had more than we did. These guys have to buy into what we??™re teaching. These (six) seniors have been part of groups who did that. It??™s obvious we still have some teaching to do.???

The final score was Cleveland 48-Notre Dame 10. The Irish looked as if they were still on Christmas Break. No doubt, Cleveland has a fine Wrestling team, but the Irish looked very sluggish tonight. I will let BCB or Harry go into the analysis of this match, but the best match of the night to me was the Alvarado/Mullin match at 103 with Alvarado winning 3-0. Hope the Irish can rebound tomorrow against Walker Valley.

FNL

FNL or Big Red or Petey or whatever you are going by today LOL

Tell Chico congrats ... Had to be a lil pressure on with the score being Raiders 29- EFT 0 coming into his match ...as a Freshmen he came thru big with the win !!!

How did the point occur in the 125 (escape or penalty)? What period?

Gives me a little hope against TBSFMAW, after DaBears posted an unbiased 8 wins (6 pins and 2 dec) to 2 wins (1 pin and 1 dec) predicted advantage for BCHS with 4 toss up dec. So something like 42 - 54 for BC to 9 - 21 for Cleveland. 54-9 worst case, 42-21 best case.

Probably the worst butt whooping that I have seen the Irish boys take.

With the exception of Mullins, May and Heath, we stunk, terrible shape no fight and very little heart.

Geez, BCB, that more like an indictment than an assessment. Was it that bad now that you have had a day to think on it? Since Cleveland beat Ryan by the slimmer margin of 33-25, what does this say about the big match later this month between EFT and The Purple Team?

Tell Chico congrats ... Had to be a lil pressure on with the score being Raiders 29- EFT 0 coming into his match ...as a Freshmen he came thru big with the win !!!

I will tell him. He is working hard and is happy to help the team when and whatever weight they need him in the lineup. Cleveland has a tough team and will be tough not only this year, but years to come. I love the way Coach Eslinger coaches his boys.

FNL

How did the point occur in the 125 (escape or penalty)? What period?

Gives me a little hope against TBSFMAW, after DaBears posted an unbiased 8 wins (6 pins and 2 dec) to 2 wins (1 pin and 1 dec) predicted advantage for BCHS with 4 toss up dec. So something like 42 - 54 for BC to 9 - 21 for Cleveland. 54-9 worst case, 42-21 best case.

The Cleveland guy opted to cut him between the 2nd and 3rd period.

Probably the worst butt whooping that I have seen the Irish boys take.

With the exception of Mullins, May and Heath, we stunk, terrible shape no fight and very little heart.

SpyCat

Maybe you will reconsider the Red or Blue it couldn't get much WORSE!! At least you don't have to travel as Far.

You can even walk to one of them. If you gonna get you _ _ _ Kicked why not stay home at get it. Like you once said if this was a Classic Match for the Irish. I guess Cleveland wore the Green and you were the YELLOW!!

YOURS Truly

KEEFJAMS

i agreee having that much preasure and pulling a winn wooh chico awesome job