South Rebels-'09

muttandjeff

Well, JJ moved to TE, of course JC, the center may be 1st team?, a fast but small RB, big line people and quick receivers and DBs. Their QB, AR, is not getting much mention. Probably a little slow now, but I assume will work hard to get a turn.

That's all really second hand, but have followed them in previous years. Winners. Their freshman team got off to a slow start and there was some dissension among parents and coaches. They did come on strong and won the last 5 or 6.

To set the record straigt, there was no dissension amount "parents and coaches". There was some dissension between 1 or 2 parents and coaches, and the parents were completely wrong in how they handled it---"it" being their precious did not play as much as they would have liked. One player, in particular, has not played football since he was 8 (I think), and now all of a sudden his pappa is yelling at the coach from the sidelines. The main problem is that the pappa thought he could intervene and have an impact on his son's playing time. WRONG!!!!!

Ignorance and Arrogance!!!!!!!!!!!! not a good combination.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To set the record straigt, there was no dissension amount "parents and coaches". There was some dissension between 1 or 2 parents and coaches, and the parents were completely wrong in how they handled it---"it" being their precious did not play as much as they would have liked. One player, in particular, has not played football since he was 8 (I think), and now all of a sudden his pappa is yelling at the coach from the sidelines. The main problem is that the pappa thought he could intervene and have an impact on his son's playing time. WRONG!!!!!

Ignorance and Arrogance!!!!!!!!!!!! not a good combination.

Well, my relative got all kinds of playing time. Too much probably. By the start of the forth quarter, they were wore out. 10 or so players played both ways the whole game. Not much development in that and the kids got discouraged when they lost the first 3 of 4, I believe. That had never happened to them before.

The play calling was really my sore point. With the number of practices and the experience from Optimist and Chargers, you would think they would run more than 3 or 4 set plays. I knew what they were going to run before the snap and I really don't have a clue. Again, development should be the focus for the freshmen and I hope they get a little more of it this year.

To your point on the one parent...yeah he was a jerk. Someone needed to smack him at TN High.

Well, my relative got all kinds of playing time. Too much probably. By the start of the forth quarter, they were wore out. 10 or so players played both ways the whole game. Not much development in that and the kids got discouraged when they lost the first 3 of 4, I believe. That had never happened to them before.

The play calling was really my sore point. With the number of practices and the experience from Optimist and Chargers, you would think they would run more than 3 or 4 set plays. I knew what they were going to run before the snap and I really don't have a clue. Again, development should be the focus for the freshmen and I hope they get a little more of it this year.

To your point on the one parent...yeah he was a jerk. Someone needed to smack him at TN High.

Well, your points at play calling would be correct at first glance, but in my opinion, "development" was the very reason that those plays (running a few certain plays, rather than having 100 plays) were repeated. The freshman coaches ran the plays that Coach Carter prescribed. The spread offense --the reads that the QB and RBS make---is a little more complicated than the I or T or Spit backfield with the QB under center---and it was all new to these boys. They concentrated on a few plays in order to develop these new kids, to get them running the "main diet" of the South Spread. Good or bad, right or wrong----I think this was the intent.

When my son played Frosh it was the same deal. No loud parents though. Mike Copas (North HS) was the Frosh coach. Mike was a wonderful person. He was a Christian and very caring and compassionate. Not much of a football coach. Mike taught special ed. so he had to have undying patience...the kind of patience that dictates you never lose your temper. When Colonial Heights and Sullivan come together there is definately some mediation needed. Now don't get me wrong, Stacy has mastered the meshing of the two communities to a point of perfection. I think '08 was the best they have worked together in the history of the school. But the '05 Frosh were bound and determined to not have anything to do with each other...including Bradley. It was a zoo. I was furious. Don Beedle (Hunters father) told me, "just right it off because nothing will come of this year...it's just a waste of time. He was right. The next year when they all went to varsity they grew up and got serious. I was ready for them to be serious as Frosh as well was my son but the harder he tried the worse it got...food fights, players refusing to do what the coach told them, coming to practice in shorts explaining that was what they were told to do...BS. There was much dessention. Stacy fixed that in short order. So I'm not telling you that it's a wash and to just let it go but without a hard core Frosh coach it will be no different. I don't know how Dance is but I dare say much different.

I can't speak for the Sullivan boys but the Colonial Heights boys are well prepared when they hit the Frosh year. They probably are ready when they get out of Optimist." "08 was the last year to be coached by Hunter Jordan and many of this years Seniors started as 7th graders with the '08 Seniors when they were in 8th grade. So they had influence from Hunter Jordan also but were the first class to graduate with Coach Hoover. People like Volman swear by Hoover so he must be OK. We will see what kind of influence he imparts to his soldiers because the '09 Seniors are his.

Well, your points at play calling would be correct at first glance, but in my opinion, "development" was the very reason that those plays (running a few certain plays, rather than having 100 plays) were repeated. The freshman coaches ran the plays that Coach Carter prescribed. The spread offense --the reads that the QB and RBS make---is a little more complicated than the I or T or Spit backfield with the QB under center---and it was all new to these boys. They concentrated on a few plays in order to develop these new kids, to get them running the "main diet" of the South Spread. Good or bad, right or wrong----I think this was the intent.

I tend to agree with Core here. It took my son two years to understand the Spread Option. But he studied it with Curt 24/7 so by his Junior year he was good to go. He was reading defenses his Junior year but was a master of it his Senior year. In other offenses you just run the hole...do what you're told. In the spread you have to think and make decisions. The key is when it becomes intuition...then nobody can stop you. And when you finally master the cutback and believe in its purpose then is when the sparks can fly. But nobody can dump all this on you as a Frosh...especially if you don't already understand the cutback.

In the words of Coach Boone, "you only need 6 plays. Give it time...they always work.....just like Novacaine." /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

IMO,Freshman and JV ball should be more about player development and learning the system above wins and losses. It is a critical time to evaluate who is best suited for what positions and to adapt to Coach Carter's system. It is important though to remain competitive and keep morale and enthusiasm up. I doubt any South team has started a football season playing Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City all in the first 3 games. The scheduling was as much at fault for the poor start and whiplash that ensued. All 3 losses were very close however and probably taught the players and coaches a lot about the next level.

I tend to agree with Core here. It took my son two years to understand the Spread Option. But he studied it with Curt 24/7 so by his Junior year he was good to go. He was reading defenses his Junior year but was a master of it his Senior year. In other offenses you just run the hole...do what you're told. In the spread you have to think and make decisions. The key is when it becomes intuition...then nobody can stop you. And when you finally master the cutback and believe in its purpose then is when the sparks can fly. But nobody can dump all this on you as a Frosh...especially if you don't already understand the cutback.

Congrats to Taylor for making Tri-Cities Sports list of finalist for player of the year award. All 4 on the list are winners in my book. To bad the coaches at schools can't see this in giving out awards to the deserving ones.

IMO,Freshman and JV ball should be more about player development and learning the system above wins and losses. It is a critical time to evaluate who is best suited for what positions and to adapt to Coach Carter's system. It is important though to remain competitive and keep morale and enthusiasm up. I doubt any South team has started a football season playing Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City all in the first 3 games. The scheduling was as much at fault for the poor start and whiplash that ensued. All 3 losses were very close however and probably taught the players and coaches a lot about the next level.

I agree and this is exactly what Clark does at DB.

Congrats to Taylor for making Tri-Cities Sports list of finalist for player of the year award. All 4 on the list are winners in my book. To bad the coaches at schools can't see this in giving out awards to the deserving ones.

Thanks PB. We appreciate your words. Quite a few but not everyone know Jamie's potential. I think many people know what kind of offense could have been in the playoffs for DB. I would love for him to playing at Charleston with #15...they actually need a good QB. To me the explanation of Clark and Jamie goes back no further than William Blount in '06 when it was inches to go on the goal line to win the game and Andrew Pappas was relegated to the sideline...engines off. Such a shame. I hope he does well in his baseball scolly.

Thanks PB. We appreciate your words. Quite a few but not everyone know Jamie's potential. I think many people know what kind of offense could have been in the playoffs for DB. I would love for him to playing at Charleston with #15...they actually need a good QB. To me the explanation of Clark and Jamie goes back no further than William Blount in '06 when it was inches to go on the goal line to win the game and Andrew Pappas was relegated to the sideline...engines off. Such a shame. I hope he does well in his baseball scolly.

A M E N !

This was forwarded to me and I don't think the writer will mind posting here. I will, however, remove their name.

If so inclined, please help. I can't imagine what they are thinking.

Dear Sullivan South friends,

An important item will be considered at Monday's [June 1] Sullivan County Board meeting. The Director of Schools will be proposing that the policy freesing of North and South school zones be rescinded. This means that students living in the annexed areas would be required to attend the city school for which they are or would be zoned. Obviously, this would have a devastating effect on our beloved county schools. Please join us in opposing this action by e-mailing each and every one of the seven members of the Sulivan County Board of Education. Below are the e-mails for each.

If you'd rather have phone numbers they may be found here:

http://www.scde.k12.tn.us/metadot/index.pl...ory&op=show

Below is a copy of the memo stating my vehement opposition. Please join us in SAVING OUR SCHOOLS!

Lady and Gentlemen,

An important vote concerning the future of Sullivan County schools is forthcoming on Monday, June 1. A proposal to rescind the policy of freezing the Sullivan North and Sullivan South school zones will be considered.

I implore that you oppose such legislation that would seriously compromise the future of all schools in the affected areas and another county areas considered as such in the future.

If passed, this measure will mean significant job loss [teachers, administrators, support staff], reduced academic program availability, reduced enrichment opportunities such as music, clubs, sports, etc, and reduce the overall educational effectiveness of every school in Sullivan County

Many, many parents like myself, wish for their children to continue their education in the Sullivan County school system. These same parents had zero input on the unwarranted annexation measures forced upon them and without your opposition, will have zero input on their educational future as well.

Please join with me in opposing this proposed measure on June 1. Thank you in advance for your support.