Sequatchie County-Grundy County

Catalyst

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cody, I don't know a lot about either team, but my brother is an assistant coach for SC, and he says that SC has looked good in the scrimmages. The offense looks good, with their reg. QB back from injury he sustained last year. A concern is their pass defense, which might hurt them against GC. Regarding GC, I have a source who tells me that they had several kids quit and their roster is a little thin right now. Considering this and the fact that the game is in Dunlap, I think the Indians will win. I hope it's as good a game as last year, which involved some 4th quarter heroics for SC. By the way, what is the kickoff for this game, it's on Thurs. night.

Both teams should be very similar as far as talent goes. Grundy will have an edge in numbers, they are a bigger school. The big difference in this game is the coaching.....big edge to Grundy. Grundy will be improved after having a year under their belts to learn Colquitt's system. Grundy generally outplayed Sequatchie in last year's game but had major breakdowns late in the game. Don't expect that to happen two years in a row. Grundy will claim the victory.

Posted by Sequatchie:
Posted by tnaquarius:

Both teams should be very similar as far as talent goes. Grundy will have an edge in numbers, they are a bigger school. The big difference in this game is the coaching.....big edge to Grundy. Grundy will be improved after having a year under their belts to learn Colquitt's system. Grundy generally outplayed Sequatchie in last year's game but had major breakdowns late in the game. Don't expect that to happen two years in a row. Grundy will claim the victory.

The Team numbers our basicly even! Apparently you haven't seen Sequatchie in scrimmages they crushed Lookout Valley in the jamboree and was driving again with backups in when time ran out. They had Marion Co. beat and fumbled inside the 25 on one drive and a dropped pass (could have been interference) inside the 5 yardline. A Defensive let down allowed Marion Co. to get into scoring position with a nice option run by the QB. I think the game being in Dunlap is a Big Plus! :rolleyes:

The INDIAN players are hyped this year and think they can play with anyone they were very upset that they let Marion Co. score in the Jamboree.

[Edited by Sequatchie on 8-27-02 2:40P]

I love my Jackets and always will. I will always root for them over any other team...but...

That doesn't mean I'm going to just blindly pick them because I covered them for 11 years.

That being said.....for what it's worth.....in the Big Ones for this week.....I picked Sequatchie.

Del (who hopes the boys from the mountain prove me wrong and cost me a pick.)

The big difference in this game is the coaching.....big edge to Grundy.

Ouch! I know the big time reputation that the Jacket coach has, but you gotta respect the man @ SC . He does a great job with his kids, and he knows ball inside and out. Played for Shirley Majors at Sewanee and he has had it in his blood ever since.

I think the coaches match up well and its gonna be won on big plays and breakdowns. toss up.

Posted by BiggestElk:

The big difference in this game is the coaching.....big edge to Grundy.

Ouch! I know the big time reputation that the Jacket coach has, but you gotta respect the man @ SC . He does a great job with his kids, and he knows ball inside and out. Played for Shirley Majors at Sewanee and he has had it in his blood ever since.

I think the coaches match up well and its gonna be won on big plays and breakdowns. toss up.

Ease up on the coach from Sequatchie. I think he took a Gordon Lee team and destroyed a Colquette champ Marion County. He also did a good job with the Indians last year. I think it will be a good game but talk is cheap. The boys will have to prove what they have on the field. By the way, Ken is a good coach, but look to the stables, in Marion the horses ran freely for a long time. Good luck in the rain Indians.

Posted by tnaquarius:

I don't think there is a big edge there. Coach Mac does extremely well against Colquette teams. He destroyed a Marion team in the early 90's while in Georgia. He beat him last year when he shouldn't have. My thoughts are the BIG EDGE is a farce. I think they are both good coaches but it will be up to the players to see who wins the game. My edge goes to the Indians because they are at home and they have the right attitude going. The team will KNOCK your HEAD OFF!! Indians in a thriller!

It's a given you don't win 4 state titles in 6 years without having the coach. That being said, I'm wanting to say it was around 1987, Colquette's team went to the AA semis (3 classes so much harder to advance) I believe but Mackersie's NW Georgia HS team (now Dade County) won 42-0. If I remember right Colquette told the paper that was one of two games up that point the opponent had ever forced a team of his to quit (the other was Sequatchie 34-0 that year) That was just one season but Marion obviously wasn't a pushover that year and the game was a rout. Oh yeah it's also a given neither coach will make one tackle or catch one pass Thursday night.

From where we were at we must have saw two totally different jamborees! Sequatchie was driving on Marion until a turnover? No drive to it the Warriors fumbled on their own side of the field to give the Indians field position. Sequatchie had one decent run and a pass play to get the yardage they did. If you want to make excuses like you do about blown assignments and letting Marion score? Here's one it was a blown coverage to give Sequatchie their only first down. As far as movement Marion moved the ball at will down the field. The warriors took advantage of their opportunities and Dunlap didn't bottom line. Final MCHS 7 SCHS 0. Oh yeah on the pass play it was good defense not interference got his head turned and played the ball.

Posted by Sequatchie:

I was wanting to ask about the future of Sequatchie Valley Football with going to the Middle School game last night a 30-8 Win over Jasper Middle. I got to thinking with these feeder schools to the high school teams what HS team looks to be the upcoming team in the next 3 to 4 years of course this all depends on how many players continue to play when they get to high school? I don't know if Jasper Middle is down or not but the SCMS team looked a lot diffrent than they did in the Middle School Jamboree last week.

No middle school is what is killing Grundy in football, wrestling, softball and volleyball. If Grundy could get a middle school those programs would improve.

There are many that wouldn't want it however because of elementary basketball. That's a real big deal up here and those programs help the high school in the fact that they give a lot more kids the chance to play than would get it if there were just one school.

Coach Colquette really wants a middle school.

I don't see it happening any time soon for one BIG reason....MONEY. :D

Del.