district 11AA

ballbasher30

Come on guys. I don't know how or why you pick an all district team anyway. There's a lot of stuff that plays into it, but I agree Foriest got screwed if you are talking about performance on the field. If it's a Miss Congeniality contest, then why bother? Two kids from Sycamore and the Mills kid from Central were co MVP's. I think Quillen and Hunter, but I don't really know. Nathan Foriest was all tournament in the Wood Bat World Series in Cobb County, GA last year with the Franklin Outlaws and can't make an all district team in a year where the top 2 teams get swept in regions? Give me a break. Stats? Come on. It's an election. A popularity contest at best. Two games is all most district coaches get to form an opinion on the thing. They're hardly qualified to say who's the best 10 or 12 or however many there are with that little input.

Every year, every sport, some coach from one of our district schools will say, 'We didn't get it right' on the all district or MVP selections. It's not always a Harpeth coach either fwiw. If we're not getting it right, let's give everybody a participation trophy and a voucher for an ice cream cone. All district teams are ludicrous. They were when I played and they haven't improved. I think there's a pretty good reason why everybody doesn't know who's on the all district team.

Off my soap box.

It was a competitive year with some good baseball played. I hope the Sycamore games don't lose their luster in the next few years but I wish them well in their new district.

so you dont think character shouldnt have anything to do with MVP??? if so then i disagree. perfect example if i may, Kobe Bryant. he just won his first MVP last year even though he has been the best player in the NBA for a pretty good while until Lebron now. why do you think he has only won one MVP??? cause hes a ball hog, and people dont like him. character is a factor in the MVP voting IMO. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, character does play a role. If you think Mills didn't deserved recognition then your are a complete moron. Mills made them a top 2 team. Without him they would be 5th at best. Foriest wasn't even the best pitcher on his team. (hence they didn't even pitch him in an elimination game) HMMM???

KS, you and your rants have far ran their course. Sounds like a mad parent that his/her son didn't make the all district team and he/she is mad and crying.

I agree all district teams are overrated. I can think of several that didn't get it when I played sports. It happens. Bottom line is, it's a fact of life. Not everyone gets recognition all the time. Just happens. Move on and get over it.

And if it doesn't mean anything to you, why do you waste your time ranting about it. You must be one bored individual.

Great season to all teams.

(yeah the district got swept, but at least they made it(unlike a certain blue team that i know of))

MVP is one thing. A simple all district is another. Alex Mills was the most valuable player to his team in my opinion.

I mean, what are the parameters? If he pitches every Monday in district games and bats in the 4 hole from the beginning of the year until the end of the year, then whoever is making up the lineup thinks he's an important contributor from a strictly baseball point of view. If we're going to vote on the best kids academic wise, attitude wise with a little baseball thrown in to boot, then let's say that. Yeah, he lost 3 district games. He's pitching against everybody else's #1 too. Even on less than a day's rest, I'd have used him to close out Creek Wood in the season finale. He's a good pitcher. Period. Besides that, he's a pretty good center fielder with a good stick.

I think the hits leader in the history of the game should be in the Hall of Fame too. If you want his bust to be pink or something to punish him for off the field actions, then do that. If you want to ban Pete Rose from his induction ceremony, then do that. It's a travesty not to put the best players in with the best of the best.

From a purely logical point of view, I don't know how a player's season can be judged by others based on 2 games anyway. Just do away with the dang all district team. It gets to the point where it's meaningless, a plaque stacked up with all the rest of the trophies that a kid has accumulated by the time they're in high school. How many do you have boobie? I'll bet 40 or 50 of the stinking things that your Mom has to clean and dust every now and then if they're still displayed. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Agreed, character does play a role. If you think Mills didn't deserved recognition then your are a complete moron. Mills made them a top 2 team. Without him they would be 5th at best. Foriest wasn't even the best pitcher on his team. (hence they didn't even pitch him in an elimination game) HMMM???

KS, you and your rants have far ran their course. Sounds like a mad parent that his/her son didn't make the all district team and he/she is mad and crying.

I agree all district teams are overrated. I can think of several that didn't get it when I played sports. It happens. Bottom line is, it's a fact of life. Not everyone gets recognition all the time. Just happens. Move on and get over it.

And if it doesn't mean anything to you, why do you waste your time ranting about it. You must be one bored individual.

Great season to all teams.

(yeah the district got swept, but at least they made it(unlike a certain blue team that i know of))

Reading comprehension dude. It's a valuable tool. Where did I say Foriest for MVP? No where, but............he never got tossed from a game.

Read every all district conversation that we've had in this district in the last 8 years. I'm not a fan of all district teams in any sport. Never have been. Individual awards take away from a team sport in my opinion and for what?

The reason that you say something dude, is that if you say nothing, everybody assumes that the status quo is okey dokey. Change is initiated by people speaking their minds and presenting another point of view. A novel concept I know, but think about it.

MVP is one thing. A simple all district is another. Alex Mills was the most valuable player to his team in my opinion.

I mean, what are the parameters? If he pitches every Monday in district games and bats in the 4 hole from the beginning of the year until the end of the year, then whoever is making up the lineup thinks he's an important contributor from a strictly baseball point of view. If we're going to vote on the best kids academic wise, attitude wise with a little baseball thrown in to boot, then let's say that. Yeah, he lost 3 district games. He's pitching against everybody else's #1 too. Even on less than a day's rest, I'd have used him to close out Creek Wood in the season finale. He's a good pitcher. Period. Besides that, he's a pretty good center fielder with a good stick.

I think the hits leader in the history of the game should be in the Hall of Fame too. If you want his bust to be pink or something to punish him for off the field actions, then do that. If you want to ban Pete Rose from his induction ceremony, then do that. It's a travesty not to put the best players in with the best of the best.

From a purely logical point of view, I don't know how a player's season can be judged by others based on 2 games anyway. Just do away with the dang all district team. It gets to the point where it's meaningless, a plaque stacked up with all the rest of the trophies that a kid has accumulated by the time they're in high school. How many do you have boobie? I'll bet 40 or 50 of the stinking things that your Mom has to clean and dust every now and then if they're still displayed. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Reading comprehension dude. It's a valuable tool. Where did I say Foriest for MVP? No where, but............he never got tossed from a game.

Read every all district conversation that we've had in this district in the last 8 years. I'm not a fan of all district teams in any sport. Never have been. Individual awards take away from a team sport in my opinion and for what?

The reason that you say something dude, is that if you say nothing, everybody assumes that the status quo is okey dokey. Change is initiated by people speaking their minds and presenting another point of view. A novel concept I know, but think about it.

im a little confused by your tactics, but for the record i never won an all district, and im sure i was never mentioned. i was a role player. the only trophy that ever mattered to me was the team trophy. but there are all districts and MVP's and their always will be. do you write down these same posts every year and re post them after the all districts are picked??? this is like an every year thing. i guess you are upset about foriest not gettin MVP, well sorry. it happens, and you should be more upset about harpeth losing in the first round than foriest not gettin his "recognition." he was talked about plenty im sure.

i do agree rose should be in the Hall. but he broke the rules, and if you put him in the hall then you have to put bonds, big mac, clemens, palmiero, etc into the hall,and i dont agree with them goin to the Hall. but thats a totally different subject.

Again. Mills was my MVP. Foriest was deserving of an all district spot. Just my opinion.

How many youth league trophies does your Mom dust around boobie? It's not a dig. It's a fact. As a society, we are pre occupied with individual awards. My high schooler played 3 sports a season from 5 to where he is now. Trophy for every sport. Trophy for all stars. Or plaques. Or medallions with ribbons. Whatever. I bet there's 50 'awards' in his display. There's prolly a couple rolling around in the back end of his car. My little guy prolly has 20 already. Already he's putting the all star ones in the front and shoving the participation trophies to the rear. They don't mean anything after a while is one point. The other point is that it's a team sport and the team rejoices in their triumphs as a team or they share their regrets together as a team. That is the bigger picture and the one of more value. In 20 years, you'll remember the times that you shared with your teammates both in victory and defeat and you'll have to think long and hard as to who was all district from your team your sophomore year. Focus on what's important.

If you're playing for awards, you're playing for the wrong reasons. If you're giving out awards, make them mean something. The whole first place gets 4, second gets 3 and on down the line is another rant for another day.

On a tangent, what type of guy do you think Roger Clemons was when he was in high school? Do you think he had attitude and mound presence and used intimidation tactics to get a winning edge? I do. I bet he was a jerk in high school.

Again. Mills was my MVP. Foriest was deserving of an all district spot. Just my opinion.

How many youth league trophies does your Mom dust around boobie? It's not a dig. It's a fact. As a society, we are pre occupied with individual awards. My high schooler played 3 sports a season from 5 to where he is now. Trophy for every sport. Trophy for all stars. Or plaques. Or medallions with ribbons. Whatever. I bet there's 50 'awards' in his display. There's prolly a couple rolling around in the back end of his car. My little guy prolly has 20 already. Already he's putting the all star ones in the front and shoving the participation trophies to the rear. They don't mean anything after a while is one point. The other point is that it's a team sport and the team rejoices in their triumphs as a team or they share their regrets together as a team. That is the bigger picture and the one of more value. In 20 years, you'll remember the times that you shared with your teammates both in victory and defeat and you'll have to think long and hard as to who was all district from your team your sophomore year. Focus on what's important.

If you're playing for awards, you're playing for the wrong reasons. If you're giving out awards, make them mean something. The whole first place gets 4, second gets 3 and on down the line is another rant for another day.

On a tangent, what type of guy do you think Roger Clemons was when he was in high school? Do you think he had attitude and mound presence and used intimidation tactics to get a winning edge? I do. I bet he was a jerk in high school.

ok then just take away MVP's, the Hall, and anything i mean no one deserves to be told hey good job and way to work hard everyday. face it some people work harder than others, and some dont. why not reward them??? its not a big deal honestly. you are probably the only one who thinks it is a big deal.

roger probably was a bad guy in high school, but i dont know i wasnt even alive lol. there is a difference between intimidation and bush league tactics. leave it on the field.

for the record my mom put all my trophies up in the shed /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> did they have trophies when you played KS??? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

My trophies were stone carvings actually, you know Flintstone style...... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I got a trophy when I completed my Little League eligibility at age 12. I got my 2nd trophy when I completed my Babe Ruth eligibility at age 15 and I got a plaque in high school for 'pitcher of the year' within the team my senior year. That's it. There was an 11/12 year old all star team for LL, a 13 year old all star team in Babe Ruth and a 14/15 team. There weren't any travel teams until we got to high school and kids played Legion ball, Sr. Babe Ruth or GNABA. We came in 2nd in the state as Babe Ruth 13's and 15's and got a team trophy only. No all tournament teams or anything like that. I don't remember who made all district from any of my high school years, but I never did.

I got more trophies playing slow pitch softball tournaments than I ever did in baseball. More knee injuries too.

It's just one grumpy man's view boobie, but why can't folks be satisfied with how the team does? Why do kids want a game ball for doing their job?

My trophies were stone carvings actually, you know Flintstone style...... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I got a trophy when I completed my Little League eligibility at age 12. I got my 2nd trophy when I completed my Babe Ruth eligibility at age 15 and I got a plaque in high school for 'pitcher of the year' within the team my senior year. That's it. There was an 11/12 year old all star team for LL, a 13 year old all star team in Babe Ruth and a 14/15 team. There weren't any travel teams until we got to high school and kids played Legion ball, Sr. Babe Ruth or GNABA. We came in 2nd in the state as Babe Ruth 13's and 15's and got a team trophy only. No all tournament teams or anything like that. I don't remember who made all district from any of my high school years, but I never did.

I got more trophies playing slow pitch softball tournaments than I ever did in baseball. More knee injuries too.

It's just one grumpy man's view boobie, but why can't folks be satisfied with how the team does? Why do kids want a game ball for doing their job?

honestly the only recognition that was important to me was my coaches and my dad. i didnt need any award. i know what youre saying but its just part of every sport. we have things in common i got pitcher of the year also /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> everyone just likes the satisfaction of other people noticing them doing a good job. i got one game ball when i was 10 and i still remember the umpire the late Mr. Nolan, its just somethin that you will always remember in your life. but id rather win a state tournament than win a MVP. i think that most kids would think that way.

You're all over it boobie. It's the satisfaction of the people that matter noticing a job well done.

What gets my blood pumping is watching kids compete. Taking a game plan or something that you worked on in practice over and over and over and watching them execute it as a team in a big ball game. No one player is more valuable than the other in that scenario. Everybody doing their job. At the end of the year, if the team wants to vote on recognition awards, then those have more meaning in my book.

Harpeth's win over Creek Wood is a good example. That game was won with team play. Nothing more, nothing less. There was no MVP of the game the way I see it and that's as it should be.

You're all over it boobie. It's the satisfaction of the people that matter noticing a job well done.

What gets my juices flowing is watching kids compete. Taking a game plan or something that you worked on in practice over and over and over and watching them execute it as a team in a big ball game. No one player is more valuable than the other in that scenario. Everybody doing their job. At the end of the year, if the team wants to vote on recognition awards, then those have more meaning in my book.

i agree to disagree if you agree to disagree /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

i agree to disagree if you agree to disagree /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Three co/mvp s I say they dropped the ball..Im looking at how they play down the stretch and if they got it done and how they handle themselves on and off the field does carry some merit.