Private School Representation

ELA

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

I really think it is a social thing. This transpires to hard working dedicated kids that will knock your block off...ELA consistently says that his kids show up whenever they want to, and that he can't really boss them around or they will quit, which I think might be true, but sometimes you just got to cut a man loose. I know there are several kids that would want to play aau basketball or varsity basketball or baseball, but just aren't good enough to be on the team...yet ELA seems to be at the mercy of his star kids who can come in and workout whenever they want to, or they can just quit...that attitude will get you no where in life.

Some people seem to have the mindset, that if its a private school then they have no chance, so consequently a private school football coach or player has the mindset, that if we its a public school its an automatic win!

So far from the truth that it is sad!

Boy have you got it wrong! I have never said that my players show up when they want to! We have very strict rules about practice schedules and very seldom does anyone from my team miss a practice! It is the offseason when these things happen when the TSSAA says we can't have a strict policy! During season, everyone is in camp! If not, they are cut from the team! You've got me mixed up with RBS! :) I would never coach a team where the players just dshowed up when they wanted to! THAT IS NOT MY STYLE AT ALL!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was talking about offseason, I have only been on this site since February, so I wouldnt know if kids show up during the football season or not :)

Sorry for the confusion

and i can definitely tell u are the type coach that wouldnt let kids do that during the offseason, good luck this year.

[Edited by TheEgoHasLanded on 8-29-02 1:38P]

i was talking about offseason, I have only been on this site since February, so I wouldnt know if kids show up during the football season or not :)

Sorry for the confusion

and i can definitely tell u are the type coach that wouldnt let kids do that during the offseason, good luck this year.

[Edited by TheEgoHasLanded on 8-29-02 1:38P]

I coach baseball... and most of my skill players also play basketball and baseball, so we know where they are year round. The problem is that most kids need to work sometime during the offseason and I understand those needs. Others seem to get lost for a few weeks, and every team experiences those lapses. On larger teams, you have several coaches to keep up with everyone, on my staff, there are only two full time teachers who coach. Since we both coach baseball, it leaves very little time to keep up with every single kid on a week-to-week basis! This is just one of the many problems that small rural public schools face each year. I could name many more, but I don't want to bore you!

OK, so there is no answer to your problems (other wise you would correct them)

How does getting rid of all private schools alleviate this?

EGO... this is not about me or my school's problems. I felt this way before I took a job at one of the smallest and poorest counties in the state! I think MOST private schools have more coaches, resources, money, and talent than almost any 1A or 2A public school in the state. I also know for a fact that the better teams (Ezell from last year and this year just to name one) can compete with any AA or AAA team in the state and I know they can beat probably 1/3 of the AAAA teams with the level of talent they currently have. Does that mean they should move up to AAAA, NO... but they could compete at a higher level (just like CPA, FRA and some of the better private programs).

We are simply saying that classifying schools strictly based on student body population is not equitable! We need another factor or two to divide schools into classifications. I have brought you guys two different possibilities. One uses a multiplier effect and the other takes a different, more radical approach. :)

[Edited by ELA on 8-29-02 6:57P]

OK, I do disagree with you about the fact that teams like Ezell could play against 3A and 4A schools and here is why.

-My high school was beating Briarcrest 14-3 only to lose 38-14.

-We were losing to ECS 7-0 at halftime only to lose 17-0

-We were beating MUS 7-0 and losing 14-7 at half only to lose by over 25 points.

-We were only down 6-0 at halftime against BGA and were even winning 7-6 only to lose 16-6

-We were beating Brentwood Academy 7-0 and were only down 14-7 at halftime only to lose 38-7.

Every team I have just mentioned had more football players on their team, and are all (except for BA) much larger schools. I do believe that Ezell could possibly play against those larger schools, but eventually the sheer size and depth would start to creep in, if not in one game, then over the course of a season when injuries and other factors might play a part in it. The only solution I would be in favor of would be a total split, that way the competition for the public schools is really watered down, and perhaps, as you have stated the private schools could govern theirownselves...I actually hope the TSSAA dissolves.

Posted by ELA:

EGO... this is not about me or my school's problems. I felt this way before I took a job at one of the smallest and poorest counties in the state! I think MOST private schools have more coaches, resources, money, and talent than almost any 1A or 2A public school in the state. I also know for a fact that the better teams (Ezell from last year and this year just to name one) can compete with any AA or AAA team in the state and I know they can beat probably 1/3 of the AAAA teams with the level of talent they currently have. Does that mean they should move up to AAAA, NO... but they could compete at a higher level (just like CPA, FRA and some of the better private programs).

We are simply saying that classifying schools strictly based on student body population is not equitable! We need another factor or two to divide schools into classifications. I have brought you guys two different possibilities. One uses a multiplier effect and the other takes a different, more radical approach. ;)

Hey Ela...All I want is some unbiased thinking here. You have to admit that Trousdale County was totally dominating 1A football before they moved up. Did anyone ever complain? No. Now in the history of 1A football, there has never been a private school to dominate. I hate to say it, but you just can`t argue that fact without losing credibility. And yet her is all this animosity toward private schools. Let`s just say your multiplier plan was implemented. Now everyone should be happy campers right? Now let`s say that FRA and CPA started to win state championship after state championship in 2AA. What would you do then? Would you again try to penalize ALL private schools on the success of a few schools? this is exactly what is happening now. There are more average to elow average private schools than there are really good ones. There are 5 or 6 really good 1A privates right now.

Volunteer General

You ain't getting it, or haven't gotten it. Why was there a public-private split?

Most people who have followed the split will tell you that it was one team...Brentwood Academy and their domination that was the catalyst for the split. It doesn't really matter how many or how few privates dominate in any classification.

There are more public than private schools. And you should understand that there are no private representatives on the TSSAA Board.

The pending impact of the BA lawsuit will probably determine the future classifications and the public/private split. At least 90% of the public coaches do not want to play private schools...period. Anyone who talks to public high coaches considers what I am saying to be common knowledge.

One thing everyone agrees on is that if and when the privates move up, most coaches in higher classifications will resist the change. That should give you a picture of what most public coaches think about playing against privates. Remember, one private's domination is what actually led to the split.

"Numbers" don't have a great meaning in this debate. It is a philosophical debate, and if the two sides don't agree, numbers don't swing the debate one way or another.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by ELA:

We are simply saying that classifying schools strictly based on student body population is not equitable! We need another factor or two to divide schools into classifications. I have brought you guys two different possibilities. One uses a multiplier effect and the other takes a different, more radical approach. ;)

Hey Ela...All I want is some unbiased thinking here. You have to admit that Trousdale County was totally dominating 1A football before they moved up. Did anyone ever complain? No. Now in the history of 1A football, there has never been a private school to dominate. I hate to say it, but you just can`t argue that fact without losing credibility. And yet her is all this animosity toward private schools. Let`s just say your multiplier plan was implemented. Now everyone should be happy campers right? Now let`s say that FRA and CPA started to win state championship after state championship in 2AA. What would you do then? Would you again try to penalize ALL private schools on the success of a few schools? this is exactly what is happening now. There are more average to elow average private schools than there are really good ones. There are 5 or 6 really good 1A privates right now.

Posted by StanTrott:

Volunteer General

You ain't getting it, or haven't gotten it. Why was there a public-private split?

Most people who have followed the split will tell you that it was one team...Brentwood Academy and their domination that was the catalyst for the split. It doesn't really matter how many or how few privates dominate in any classification.

There are more public than private schools. And you should understand that there are no private representatives on the TSSAA Board.

The pending impact of the BA lawsuit will probably determine the future classifications and the public/private split. At least 90% of the public coaches do not want to play private schools...period. Anyone who talks to public high coaches considers what I am saying to be common knowledge.

One thing everyone agrees on is that if and when the privates move up, most coaches in higher classifications will resist the change. That should give you a picture of what most public coaches think about playing against privates. Remember, one private's domination is what actually led to the split.

"Numbers" don't have a great meaning in this debate. It is a philosophical debate, and if the two sides don't agree, numbers don't swing the debate one way or another.

Posted by ELA:

Hey Stan..I`m giving you a good mark for explaining why public school coaches are bigots! :)

Posted by StanTrott:

Volunteer General

Posted by ELA:

We are simply saying that classifying schools strictly based on student body population is not equitable! We need another factor or two to divide schools into classifications. I have brought you guys two different possibilities. One uses a multiplier effect and the other takes a different, more radical approach. :D

StanTrott, I agree with you that the split was due primarily to the success of the BA program. I happen to think it was too bad. Despite your opinion (probably very accurate) that 90% of the public coaches would not like to play the private schools, I bet that many of the kids on the top 5A teams would love a chance to prove their top rankings in the state were merited. I think Riverdale would have won it all last year, which would have been great for HS football in TN. (Even though I would have been unhappy at the time.)

What is your assessment of the impact of the BA v. TSSAA decision? It seems that they may settle the thing out of court, since it has already gotten huge and enormously expensive. How will it impact clasifications and the public/private split? My own opinion is that it will open up the possibility for "real" recruiting. Do you expect a backlash, and is that what you think will have the major impact?

Thanks.