Sophomore pitching standards.

batman2011

For any people interested i was wanting to know some good standards to set for myself or any other sophomore pitchers or players in general. i know its all according to your skill level and your own expectations but if anyone could give me a reasonable outline i'd appreciate it alot. i was wanting to know things like ERA, BA. SO. HR. etc....

Thanks to all who reply /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> ps. what would be some qualifications for All West Tennessee? Is it based on publicity mostly or coaches opinions or what.

For any people interested i was wanting to know some good standards to set for myself or any other sophomore pitchers or players in general. i know its all according to your skill level and your own expectations but if anyone could give me a reasonable outline i'd appreciate it alot. i was wanting to know things like ERA, BA. SO. HR. etc....

Thanks to all who reply /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> ps. what would be some qualifications for All West Tennessee? Is it based on publicity mostly or coaches opinions or what.

Here is my opinion -- Focus on what you can control. Getting ahead of hitters (% of 1st pitches for strikes); Strike/Ball ratio; % of pitches for strikes; # of innings with 15 or less pitches; # of batters out with 4 or less pitches; etc.

Accolades are typically a bit political and out of your control. Why worry about it? You can get ahead of batters; you can prevent free passes on base; etc.

I believe winning most of your games. Pitching between 85-95 is the standard in Northeast Tennessee with the Big Three sophomores. Pfeiffer at Farragut, Norris at Science Hill, and Connell at Boone. All three of these hit 89+ last year and will be forces to deal with this year.

I believe it is hard to tell because some kids just progress further and faster than others. Having three sophomores that can throw the ball like these three in one area of the country is unreal. It will be interesting to see them progress. I think Pfeiffer will be the man because he only does baseball. Norris and Connell play football, basketball, and baseball so they have not had as much time to develop just the baseball skills but they are athletes. It does not seem to hurt them.

I dont normally post on here but here I go. I think 85-95 for a sophmore is a bit unrealistic with a few exceptions. My son is a sophmore and he plays travel ball(at a very high level) and I have seen almost every quality pitcher in the southeast. I have yet to see a sophmore throw at 95mph. Too much emphasis is put on speed. There has to be a lot said for being able to hit your spots, have a decent out pitch, and throwing first pitch strikes. You have to remember that a pitcher will gain about 3mph every year. If that is the case if a sophmore is throwing 95 now he will be at 105mph his senior year. Totally not going to happen. This young man needs some goals that he is capable of reaching. Work hard on control, mechanics, your out pitches, and getting ahead in the count. Remember that a lot of the pitching game at the high school level is mental. Also take care of your arm. High school pitchers I think dont put enough emphasis on arm care. Proper warm up, and after game care are essential to you still pitching your senior year. One other thing is total body conditioning. Especially a lot of core work as a lot of pitching comes from the core just as it does the arm. I would suggest you check out a web site www.paulreddickbaseball.com this is one of the best trainers for baseball pitchers. He posts a lot of useful information in the form of videos on here. Remember the game of baseball(especially pitching) is similiar to life, work hard and get better. Good luck this season.

I dont normally post on here but here I go. I think 85-95 for a sophmore is a bit unrealistic with a few exceptions. My son is a sophmore and he plays travel ball(at a very high level) and I have seen almost every quality pitcher in the southeast. I have yet to see a sophmore throw at 95mph. Too much emphasis is put on speed. There has to be a lot said for being able to hit your spots, have a decent out pitch, and throwing first pitch strikes. You have to remember that a pitcher will gain about 3mph every year. If that is the case if a sophmore is throwing 95 now he will be at 105mph his senior year. Totally not going to happen. This young man needs some goals that he is capable of reaching. Work hard on control, mechanics, your out pitches, and getting ahead in the count. Remember that a lot of the pitching game at the high school level is mental. Also take care of your arm. High school pitchers I think dont put enough emphasis on arm care. Proper warm up, and after game care are essential to you still pitching your senior year. One other thing is total body conditioning. Especially a lot of core work as a lot of pitching comes from the core just as it does the arm. I would suggest you check out a web site www.paulreddickbaseball.com this is one of the best trainers for baseball pitchers. He posts a lot of useful information in the form of videos on here. Remember the game of baseball(especially pitching) is similiar to life, work hard and get better. Good luck this season.

I agree 95 is stretching it. Norris and Connell were both clocked at 89 as LHP last year as freshmen. Pfeiffer was clocked at 92. I saw Norris, Connell, and Pfeiffer in one tournament last year and they all hit 87 with Pfeiffer hitting 89 that weekend. I will asume if your son plays high level tournament ball that you have seen these three. They play on some of the best travel teams TN has to offer.

BTW, there is a kid in California that hit 95 this summer at showcase in Florida as an upcoming sophomore.

I will agree on hitting strike zones. I said, these three were the exception.

The three pitchers mentioned are not a 'standard' high school pitcher. Those type of kids don't come around too often.

Velocity is the most over-rated factor of pitching but it is the only one that is totally quantifiable, much like a wide receiver in football's 40 time. There are subjective standards like motion and movement, but a radar gun is non-subjective (although some radar gun's mileage may differ)

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

The key to pitching in high school is THROW STRIKES. Most lineups in high school have 2, maybe 3, quality hitters. Most of the lineup will get themselves out. WALKS and HIT BATTERS fuel many a rally in high school.

Develop 2 pitches you can throw for strikes and you will be successful in high school. Master 3 and you will be getting some looks from some folks.

To win in high school, throw strikes and hit bats and let the other 8 players catch it and throw it. And forget the radar gun. Funny thing to see a kid throwing at a park where a radar gun display is located. You will see them grunt and throw, look back at the radar gun, grunt and throw again, look again, and then look bewildered when it says 82 both times.... It says 82 because that is what he can throw. But if he pitches one at 81 and then at 77 and then 82 and then 70 with a curve mixed in every now and then and all of them cross the plate he will get folks out.

The three pitchers mentioned are not a 'standard' high school pitcher. Those type of kids don't come around too often.

Velocity is the most over-rated factor of pitching but it is the only one that is totally quantifiable, much like a wide receiver in football's 40 time. There are subjective standards like motion and movement, but a radar gun is non-subjective (although some radar gun's mileage may differ)

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

The key to pitching in high school is THROW STRIKES. Most lineups in high school have 2, maybe 3, quality hitters. Most of the lineup will get themselves out. WALKS and HIT BATTERS fuel many a rally in high school.

Develop 2 pitches you can throw for strikes and you will be successful in high school. Master 3 and you will be getting some looks from some folks.

To win in high school, throw strikes and hit bats and let the other 8 players catch it and throw it. And forget the radar gun. Funny thing to see a kid throwing at a park where a radar gun display is located. You will see them grunt and throw, look back at the radar gun, grunt and throw again, look again, and then look bewildered when it says 82 both times.... It says 82 because that is what he can throw. But if he pitches one at 81 and then at 77 and then 82 and then 70 with a curve mixed in every now and then and all of them cross the plate he will get folks out.

Will agree completely. The key to good pitching is throwing strikes and changing velocity. It is all about being able to hit your spots and change speed. The great thing about those three is they all have good control and good offspeed pitches.

When I saw Pfeiffer, I thought I would see a kid sling it with all he had. He was actually a good offspeed pitcher who, when he needed it, could throw it 88+.

Norris and Connell are both lefties but very different pitchers. Norris is finesse and Connell seems to be a hard thrower. It was unreal to see them all together and facing each other. The other unique thing is that Norris and Connell are good hitters and Pfeiffer does not hit at all.

I would encourage a young pitcher to throw strikes and hit your spots. Change your speed.

I agree 95 is stretching it. Norris and Connell were both clocked at 89 as LHP last year as freshmen. Pfeiffer was clocked at 92. I saw Norris, Connell, and Pfeiffer in one tournament last year and they all hit 87 with Pfeiffer hitting 89 that weekend. I will asume if your son plays high level tournament ball that you have seen these three. They play on some of the best travel teams TN has to offer.

BTW, there is a kid in California that hit 95 this summer at showcase in Florida as an upcoming sophomore.

I watched Pfeiffer pitch in state tourney last year and he was nowhere near 92. These numbers represent a kid "Humping up" for one pitch with someone holding a gun. Pfeiffer pitches a game at a 84-89 level. He is obviously an exceptional talent but these numbers are like job resumes they get inflated at times. I have never had the pleasure of seeing Norris or Connell throw(where do the play?), but am looking foward to that day. But 95 NO WAY!!

I saw Pheifer on a regular basis throughout the summer against some big time competition. He may be able to hit 90+, but he is regularly in the mid 80's. However his velocity is not what makes him the great pitcher he is. He hides the ball incredibly well and has excellent movement on his fastball, as well as his breaking ball. He also makes great use of the most underated pitch in baseball, the changeup. All these factors along with his knowledge of pitching makes him the pitcher he is.

I saw Pheifer on a regular basis throughout the summer against some big time competition. He may be able to hit 90+, but he is regularly in the mid 80's. However his velocity is not what makes him the great pitcher he is. He hides the ball incredibly well and has excellent movement on his fastball, as well as his breaking ball. He also makes great use of the most underated pitch in baseball, the changeup. All these factors along with his knowledge of pitching makes him the pitcher he is.

I agree 100%. This kid is a "pitcher" not just a "thrower", with a ton of high level experience. Bright future.

And playing with a Farragut defense behind you sure doesn't hurt.

I am by no means an expert but have had many conversations about pitching speeds with people that are far more experienced. A long time high school coach and a well respected pitching coach have both said the same thing - an average high school fastball is low 80's. Most believe that there are kids that can touch upper 80's but these are the few exceptions and not the rule for a high school pitcher. I agree with a previous post that the change up is one of the most under rated yet most effective pitches, especially for a someone with a good fastball.

I agree that the sky is the limit for these three. I also attended a tournament last year in which these guys were all very impressive. In that tournament, however, the most impressive pitchers were a junior lefty and a freshman right hander. Both of these guys were in the low 80s with command of their off speed stuff and they both notched impressive victories over a nationally ranked team from Ohio. Pitchers come in all shapes and sizes and can be equally effective at different speeds. I guess alot of it also depends on the defense that is playing behind you as well.

BTW Norris is no longer with the Jr. Toppers. He has been chosen by the East Cobb Yankees 18U Elite team to play with them this summer. I think this is a great move for Dino. I also think that out of all these pitchers mentioned, that he may be the one that we see on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball one of these days.

Best of luck to all of these guys and take care of those arms. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />