Who have the all around team that can win the gold ball in 1A

MTiger

Thank you Mighty now that is what i want to hear. I do thing that the game will be better played this year from Humboldt. I still believe that Manassas will win. Humboldt have a good team but i just think that Manassas has some unfinish business and they want It and are more hungry than anyone else is.

As a Memphian, I'm pulling for Manassas to win the State Title. Based on what I witnessed last night (Manassas 52 -Middleton 49 OT), though, I would not be shocked should they not get back to the Finals!

This year's Manassas team is clearly NOT as good as last year's State Runner-up team.....It was very stunning to see them struggle against such a severly undersized Middleton team, given the fact that Manassas defeated an outstanding Craigmont team (and played Ridgeway very tough).

Anyway, here are my observations (note: last night's performance may have been an abberation, an usually HORRIBLE game....I don't really know, for certain, since this was my 1st time seeing Manassas this season):

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Manassas' perimeter shooting is nowhere near as good/deadly as last year's.

This is perhaps THE biggest difference, from what I could see.....Last year, they had about 3 or 4 guys who could consistently drain the 3-ball. This year, only 1 guy seemed to be anything that resembles a consistent 3-ball threat.

2) Defensively, they do not rotate very well -- they lose their intensity & focus after about 20-30 seconds, giving up boatloads of open shots on the weakside.... Middleton just could not hit them with enough consistency.

3) Zone offense is inefficient & inept. Horrific -- Slow/no ball movement; too much standing around, passively.

4) Poor blocking out, on the boards. Middleton got way too many 2nd-chance shots, as a direct result.

5) Shaq Walker's has extremely poor form on his jump-shot, which directly causes CONSISTENT off-target shots -- very "quirky" looking! As such, he's dreadfully unreliable/erratic as a shooter. I was surprised whenever one of his "hoisted" shots actually went in (not too many did). No exaggeration.

6) Northington has a lot of potential--you can just see that he has some natural basketball ability. Right now, though, he is a poor decision maker, & takes too many ill-advised/poor shots. He's also inconsistent.

7) The PG is an excellent ballhandler, but seems to lack the ability to "feed" the post (Buckner), consistently.....He really didn't take many, if any, outside shots. So, I'm not sure of his perimeter game.

8) The forward, #50 (name unkown) is so-so. He has poor hands.

9) Coaching - poor tactics, overall.

For example, the entire 1st-half, whenever Buckner caught the ball in the post, 2 or 3 guys would collapse towards him, leaving the weak side lane wide open. Yet, no Manassas players bothered to simply cut to the basket for what would be EASY, wide open layups. This poor execution was allowed to continue, the whole 1st half, and the vast majority of the game.

Also, during the 2nd quarter, Big Man Buckner barely touched the ball. That should NEVER have been allowed to continue. Yet it did.... Buckner was installed at PG, to open the 3rd qtr, to (I presume) get him more touches. That actually did help but, with better, crisper ball movement...I suggest that Buckner still could have gotten his touches, while remaining down on the block.

------------------------------------------------------------

Manassas has a lot of work to do, if it expects to get back to the State Finals, IMO. They simply are not as good or deep a team vs last year. Their margin-for-error is a whole lot more narrow, this year.

On the positive side, Manassas is still a Single-A team (lesser competition). As such, they could still be good enough to win the State Title, especially with a dominant player like Buckner. Heck, their earlier performances versus Craigmont and Ridgeway is undisputable evidence of a good, capable team (I have absolutely no idea HOW Manassas did it, though, given how weak they looked last night).

At the end of the day, while Manassas is clearly a couple of notches down this year (IMO), I'm inclined to conclude that last night's horrible performance was just a bad night. All teams have them..... They better get more focused. Fast. Otherwise, their 2009 "unfinished-business" basketball season will end in another disappointment, only much sooner!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Memphian, I'm pulling for Manassas to win the State Title. Based on what I witnessed last night (Manassas 52 -Middleton 49 OT), though, I would not be shocked should they not get back to the Finals!

This year's Manassas team is clearly NOT as good as last year's State Runner-up team.....It was very stunning to see them struggle against such a severly undersized Middleton team, given the fact that Manassas defeated an outstanding Craigmont team (and played Ridgeway very tough).

Anyway, here are my observations (note: last night's performance may have been an abberation, an usually HORRIBLE game....I don't really know, for certain, since this was my 1st time seeing Manassas this season):

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Manassas' perimeter shooting is nowhere near as good/deadly as last year's.

This is perhaps THE biggest difference, from what I could see.....Last year, they had about 3 or 4 guys who could consistently drain the 3-ball. This year, only 1 guy seemed to be anything that resembles a consistent 3-ball threat.

2) Defensively, they do not rotate very well -- they lose their intensity & focus after about 20-30 seconds, giving up boatloads of open shots on the weakside.... Middleton just could not hit them with enough consistency.

3) Zone offense is inefficient & inept. Horrific -- Slow/no ball movement; too much standing around, passively.

4) Poor blocking out, on the boards. Middleton got way too many 2nd-chance shots, as a direct result.

5) Shaq Walker's has extremely poor form on his jump-shot, which directly causes CONSISTENT off-target shots -- very "quirky" looking! As such, he's dreadfully unreliable/erratic as a shooter. I was surprised whenever one of his "hoisted" shots actually went in (not too many did). No exaggeration.

6) Northington has a lot of potential--you can just see that he has some natural basketball ability. Right now, though, he is a poor decision maker, & takes too many ill-advised/poor shots. He's also inconsistent.

7) The PG is an excellent ballhandler, but seems to lack the ability to "feed" the post (Buckner), consistently.....He really didn't take many, if any, outside shots. So, I'm not sure of his perimeter game.

8) The forward, #50 (name unkown) is so-so. He has poor hands.

9) Coaching - poor tactics, overall.

For example, the entire 1st-half, whenever Buckner caught the ball in the post, 2 or 3 guys would collapse towards him, leaving the weak side lane wide open. Yet, no Manassas players bothered to simply cut to the basket for what would be EASY, wide open layups. This poor execution was allowed to continue, the whole 1st half, and the vast majority of the game.

Also, during the 2nd quarter, Big Man Buckner barely touched the ball. That should NEVER have been allowed to continue. Yet it did.... Buckner was installed at PG, to open the 3rd qtr, to (I presume) get him more touches. That actually did help but, with better, crisper ball movement...I suggest that Buckner still could have gotten his touches, while remaining down on the block.

------------------------------------------------------------

Manassas has a lot of work to do, if it expects to get back to the State Finals, IMO. They simply are not as good or deep a team vs last year. Their margin-for-error is a whole lot more narrow, this year.

On the positive side, Manassas is still a Single-A team (lesser competition). As such, they could still be good enough to win the State Title, especially with a dominant player like Buckner. Heck, their earlier performances versus Craigmont and Ridgeway is undisputable evidence of a good, capable team (I have absolutely no idea HOW Manassas did it, though, given how weak they looked last night).

At the end of the day, while Manassas is clearly a couple of notches down this year (IMO), I'm inclined to conclude that last night's horrible performance was just a bad night. All teams have them..... They better get more focused. Fast. Otherwise, their 2009 "unfinished-business" basketball season will end in another disappointment, only much sooner!

Great post!!! Thanks for the run down of the game, you seem to break the game down from start to finish being truthfull and not making excuses!!! Any team can lose on any nighht if they don't play as a team it seems lately that Manassas have been going down to the wire with teams that they previously beat by 20-30 points. What is going on? Is it that teams have learn how to play them or what?

Great post!!! Thanks for the run down of the game, you seem to break the game down from start to finish being truthfull and not making excuses!!! Any team can lose on any nighht if they don't play as a team...

...it seems lately that Manassas have been going down to the wire with teams that they previously beat by 20-30 points. What is going on? Is it that teams have learn how to play them or what?

87VikingAlumni, you are exactly correct!

I am now wondering the exact same thing, about Manassas. Perhaps their biggest, (seemingly) most knowledgeable Coach-T supporter, Legend, can shed some light on this very issue:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, Legend-- What the heck is going on with Manassas' basketball team....looking at their recent performances?

I am now wondering the exact same thing, about Manassas. Perhaps their biggest, (seemingly) most knowledgeable Coach-T supporter, Legend, can shed some light on this very issue:

Hey, Legend-- What the heck is going on with Manassas' basketball team....looking at their recent performances?

Only thing I could think of would be they are playing mind games with other team's that try to scout them for the tournament

we all know beavo thats what all the mempho schools do /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

*COUGH* Booker T. Washington *COUGH* that plan back-fired on them! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Legend will not tell you!!! TraderB if you are really pulling for Manassas why would you post a scouting report on here!!! lol!! In wont give them any info!!! just read his scouting report and go with that people!!! lol!!

I no whats wrong with Manassas but I wont say!!! Just remember this when the time is right Manassas will be ready!!

Legend will not tell you!!! TraderB if you are really pulling for Manassas why would you post a scouting report on here!!! lol!! In wont give them any info!!! just read his scouting report and go with that people!!! lol!!

I no whats wrong with Manassas but I wont say!!! Just remember this when the time is right Manassas will be ready!!

Legend,

I am pulling for Manassas!

The observations that I posted about Manassas is NO SECRET or INSIDER INFORMATION.

Additionally, none of the information that I shared is going to make one bit of difference in Manassas' (or its opponents') future performances, and/or suddenly provide its opposition with any sort of unique "ammunition," edge or advantage:

---------------------------------------

1) Anyone who attended that game (or upcoming Manassas games), and was paying attention and knows anything at all about Basketball....they would have observed the exact same things, if not more.

2) Trust me when I tell you-- every single one of Manassas' (future) playoff opponents will "scout" them, before hand, if they have not already. I guarentee you that!

3) All teams' strengths and weaknesses are on full, public display (for any/all to see) every single time they take the court. There is absolutely nothing covert, mysterious or original about that...

-------------------------------------------------

Manassas is going to have to adjust/adapt to whatever its opponents throw at them, in order to be successful. Likewise, the opposition is going to have to adjust/adapt to whatever Manassas throws at them.... The presence or absence of any so-called "scouting report" is never going to change the requisite of this fundamental dynamic.

Bottom line:

At the end of the day, all else being equal, the team that implements the most effective real-time, adjust-adapt tactics will usually win the ballgame.

Go Manassas. Win State!

Legend,

I am pulling for Manassas!

The observations that I posted about Manassas is NO SECRET or INSIDER INFORMATION.

Additionally, none of the information that I shared is going to make one bit of difference in Manassas' (or its opponents') future performances, and/or suddenly provide its opposition with any sort of unique "ammunition," edge or advantage:

---------------------------------------

1) Anyone who attended that game (or upcoming Manassas games), and was paying attention and knows anything at all about Basketball....they would have observed the exact same things, if not more.

2) Trust me when I tell you-- every single one of Manassas' (future) playoff opponents will "scout" them, before hand, if they have not already. I guarentee you that!

3) All teams' strengths and weaknesses are on full, public display (for any/all to see) every single time they take the court. There is absolutely nothing covert, mysterious or original about that...

-------------------------------------------------

Manassas is going to have to adjust/adapt to whatever its opponents throw at them, in order to be successful. Likewise, the opposition is going to have to adjust/adapt to whatever Manassas throws at them.... The presence or absence of any so-called "scouting report" is never going to change the requisite of this fundamental dynamic.

Bottom line:

At the end of the day, all else being equal, the team that implements the most effective real-time, adjust-adapt tactics will usually win the ballgame.

Go Manassas. Win State!

Now this man knows something about basketball. Looks like he eats and sleep basketball

I think it could be Manassas easily just becuase of Reginald Buckner. I watched him play last year and he didnt play like he should at all. I agree to watch out for Culleoka. But Lake County and Humboldt are also good candidates even though they are in the same district. Dyer County is doing well right now as well. Should be interesting to see as we get closer to the State Championships........Cant wait

team ball? look at CULLEOKA

they have two answers to manases big man....

...the 6 8 and 6 9 beetch twins

look out for cully ive personally seen them play about six times this year

they have balance

Culleoka should not be ranked ahead of Manassas or Lake County....6 8 and 6 9 are useless against 6 4 and 6 5 of athleticism...