2009 rasslin awards

bear cat brown

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

G.P. West, when Head Coach at Hillwood High School, used to put on the Tennessee Pride Wrestling Tournament in the Spring and it was well attended. In fact, the State Wrestling Tournament was held at Hillwood High School. Currently, they had to drop their program because they could not fill enough weight classes. This is really sad for the school considering they have 1,000 students. It is hard to believe how far this program has fallen. Some of the names from the past: Brian Dunning; David Scott; Hunter Bogitch (?) I hear he lives in Memphis; Bianconni (?); Darnell Cole. There have been many others and it is sad this school has fallen on such hard times. Hopefully, the couple of wrestlers who cared to compete are able to go to another school to compete. The school and the administration have done nothing to help the situation. If you look at all sports, Hillwood athletics is nowhere near what it used to be.

So, I am wandering around the internet looking for an old wrestling buddy, and I land here. Hillwood, used to beat a lot of teams around the whole state. My 1982 year (when bellevue had merged with hillwood) we had a powerhouse team. Edwin Swinger, Darnell Cole, jeff Woody, Dwayne Ervin, Carl Carney and several others all went to regional and Jeff, Darnell, and Dwayne all went to state with Carl placing second, and Dwayne and Darnell 3rd and 4th. 

my junior year, I won at 165. and still had a decent team. Only a few of us made it through regionals. Brian Dunning and David Scott would come and help in practices and many of us hit summer tourneys and camps. It was alive. It pains me to know the program is dead. The greatest memory EVER in my life was that run to district, regional and state tourney and then the win. Nothing like it !  

G.P. West, when Head Coach at Hillwood High School, used to put on the Tennessee Pride Wrestling Tournament in the Spring and it was well attended. In fact, the State Wrestling Tournament was held at Hillwood High School. Currently, they had to drop their program because they could not fill enough weight classes. This is really sad for the school considering they have 1,000 students. It is hard to believe how far this program has fallen. Some of the names from the past: Brian Dunning; David Scott; Hunter Bogitch (?) I hear he lives in Memphis; Bianconni (?); Darnell Cole. There have been many others and it is sad this school has fallen on such hard times. Hopefully, the couple of wrestlers who cared to compete are able to go to another school to compete. The school and the administration have done nothing to help the situation. If you look at all sports, Hillwood athletics is nowhere near what it used to be.

Don't  forget Steve Nabi, the Tolbert family & the swinger kid that won a combined state championship. 

Let's not forget the great job that Albert Posnack did coaching at Hillwood for many years. 

With Hillwood being in one of the most educated and top income areas of Nashville, this is another sign of how far both education and athletics have slipped in Metro Nashville Public Education.  I have been told that less that 50% if the kids that live in the Hillwood  neighborhood attend Hillwood High School.